Get The Frizz Out…Naturally!

The last time I bought anti-frizz hair serum I think money was really tight…so I decided to forego my FAV productBiosilk Silk Therapy Serum, and instead bought this got2bstuff for about 6 bucks.  No offense “got2b by Unisex” but ICK! I haven’t really liked it since the day I purchased it. It’s super thick and sticky and just felt like it weighed my hair down.  But of course I wasn’t going to waste it!. So month after month I have used this stuff (I swear! The bottle was bottomless!)…until now. The bottle is FINALLY empty, and I was looking forward to going back to my tried and true BioSilk.

So there I am…in the grocery store…eyeing the hair products shelves when I see it! I think I heard angels singing! I was so happy to be reunited with my old friend!
If my life had a soundtrack you would insert the Record Player Scratch sound effect here. You know…the one that sounds like a record needle pulled violently across an album? Because when I saw the price for that TINY little bottle…($15 for 5 ounces!) I was slightly mortified. I guess I shouldn’t have been because I’ve purchased it many times in the past….but I guess I have had enough of a shift in attitude about paying for over-priced, over-packaged stuff since the last time I bought it…that I experienced genuine sticker shock.
I went ahead and bought it though. You see, I HAVE TO have some sort of anti-frizz, smoothing product to put in my hair after I wash it and before I blow dry it or my hair comes out looking something like this:

True story.

But ever since I bought that little bottle…I’ve been experiencing this vague feeling of “buyers remorse”. Especially when I think about the homemade version of things I’ve been making for pennies on the dollar! *ding ding ding ding ding*!   It FINALLY occurred to me (I can be a bit slow) that I needed to look for a homemade, natural alternative!

Did you know that most hair serums are loaded with silicone? Silicone, that over time, coats the hair, causing it to weaken and break after extended use. Well that’s ALL I need!

After quite a bit of time researching this (believe it or not, there’s not a lot of people making their own hair serum! lol.)  I did manage to come up with what looks to be a very promising homemade version of the over-priced stuff they peddle in the stores. It has 4 ingredients….two of which I already have on hand.

Now I’m on the lookout for these two oils:

Camellia Oil Blocks Harmful UV Rays, Maintains a Healthy pH, Promotes Hair Growth, Conditions Scalp
Avocado Oil is highly therapeutic oil is rich in vitamins A, B1, B2, B5 (Panthothenic acid), Vitamin D, E, minerals, protein, lecithin and fatty acids. Perfect hair moisturizer. Great substitute for silicones!!!!
Castor oil is rich in fatty acids and is soothing and lubricating. Smoothes cuticles and softens coarse hair

And here’s the recipe………

Anti Frizz Serum Recipe for Hair

Ingredients
4 ounces Camellia Oil
1/2 ounce Castor Oil
1/2 ounce Unrefined Avocado Oil
25 drops Essential oils for scent
Choose a natural, organic essential oil according to the healing properties desired. Use myrrh or peppermint for dry hair, lavender or rose oil for fine hair to normal hair, or add lemon or chamomile for golden highlights. Avoid using synthetic oils.

Combine all ingredients in a DARK GLASS bottle (sunlight is damaging to all oil types). Shake well before each use
To Use: Apply a small amount to damp hair before blowdrying or apply a very small amount to dry hair for smoothing and shine.

Homestead.com

So excited to try this! Now my hair can look like THIS instead! ;-)
Anyone want to buy a $15 dollar bottle of BioSilk??? :-)

Share on Facebook461Tweet about this on Twitter11Pin on Pinterest39,870Google+1

Comments

1. Confessions of a Beautyholic says

I am always ASTOUNDED by all of the things you come up with! I love your blog and have a board on pinterest with all of your recipes on it! I hope someday that I can actually try out all of the things I see on here!

2. DerFarm says

ummmm…you can get avocado oil in any decently large grocery. You'll probably find it with the other strange nut oils in the foreign section.

I use it when I can't get pure Tung Oil for cleaning and refurbishing tables and cutting boards I make.

As far as Camelia oil goes, it hides under the name of japanese Tea Oil and is primarily used to make luxury soaps. They bubble up better. It's also expensive. You might want to look into using grapeseed oil, as the process to make it is approximately the same.

Reminds me of the time my son wanted to dye his hair purple. He has very thick, incredibly black hair and I convinced him that using grape kool-aid would do the trick … and it would have if he was blond. He ran around for 2 weeks smelling like a popsicle.

3. Anonymous says

JIllee….trying to see your Pins but every time I open your site all I see is your title (One GOod Thing by Jillee) an ad, things I might also like and other peoples comments. I can't ever see any of your recipes. I love your ideas but can't access them. Any suggestions for what I need to do to see them?

4. Anonymous says

5. Jill Nystul says

Beautyholic…one thing at a time. Just keep them pinned and try them when you can. They aren't going anywhere. ;-) So glad you like the blog!

DerFarm…just when you have me convinced you are a smart aleck who just likes to make fun of my laundry supplies…(kidding btw…I know it's all in fun!) you come up with some awesome info! Thanks so much! This is good stuff. I'm convinced "my" readers are the smartest in the universe!

Anony…well that simply won't do!!!! What browser are you using? We'll get to the bottom of this!

6. Anonymous says

You can also wear your hair curly. If you eliminate silicone from your hair care routine you should eliminate sulfates as well. That will cut down on a lot of the frizz. Naturallycurly.com has a bunch of great tips.

7. Denise from Ark says

Going to try this…someday. Last Christmas JCPenney Salon ran a BOGO Free sale on 12oz Biosilk serum, and the same ad included a $10 coupon good on any purchase of $35 or more. I bought 2-12z bottles (HUGE!) for $32. My stylist says she can't even get them for that price. I filled an empty 2z bottle for the travel case, filled another one for DD (and she comes over and uses it regularly, too) and have used it for a year and still have 1/4 of the first bottle left. I use it-generously- every time I wash my hair (but try to limit washing to twice weekly). So it will be a while.

8. Anonymous says

Probably best that you did forego that bottle of BioSilk. One of its primary ingredients is alcohol. Say what? Yes, it is true. Right on the label. That stuff actually dries your hair out.