Rebecca’s Rosemary Mint Fabric Softener

Rosemary Mint Fabric Softener

Have you ever told someone that you make your own (fill in the blank) and they look at you like you’ve lost your mind?

Don’t worry, it happens to me all the time. :-) Even amongst family!

Take my sister Rebecca for example. Even though she’s one of the biggest “fans” of One Good Thing By Jillee…I don’t think she’s ever actually TRIED any of the homemade laundry and cleaning products I have posted about.

That is UNTIL NOW!

This is what she posted on her Facebook page a couple of days ago (I’m hoping she doesn’t mind me sharing):

I confess to being a laundry product snob…I love Caldrea, its green, scented w/ essential oils and pricey. But I love it! Today I ran out of my softener *pout*. A serious situation to be facing on the weekend, Amazon can’t me more until Tues! So, I followed my sisters example (One Good Thing by Jillee), and made her favored DIY fabric softener: Vinegar, water and Rosemary Mint Sauve conditioner. Thats it! 3 ingredients. Holy Caldrea…I love it!! Clothes smelled great and felt even better. I am a believer, goodbye Caldrea…Ive got this now :)

Woo hoo…another “believer” is born! ;-) PLUS…she came up with a new scent for homemade fabric softener to try! Rosemary Mint! As much of a fan as I am of my Lavender scented stuff….the Rosemary Mint idea intrigued me!

Rosemary Mint Fabric Softener

So, since I was about to run out of my fabric softener I decided to make one batch of each…and now I have a WHOLE LOTTA fabric softener! lol. But I have to tell you….if you are fond of Rosemary and Mint…you will want to try this!

Here is the recipe from the original post:

Homemade Fabric Softener

Ingredients:
6 cups water
3 cups white vinegar
2 cups Suave Rosemary Mint Conditioner

Rosemary Mint Fabric Softener

Directions:
1. Mix water, vinegar, and hair conditioner in a 1 gallon container; stir. Do not shake it; it will cause foaming.
2. Use the same amount you normally use in a rinse cycle or spritz it on a wash cloth and throw in dryer.

Rosemary Mint Fabric Softener

As a matter of fact…I decided more of my “doubting” friends needed to try it too….so I poured some of it into large mason jars and attached a “recipe” card telling them how they can make it!

Rosemary Mint Fabric Softener

To all my “doubting” friends….you have been warned.  Beware of visitors bearing mason jars! YOU might just be the next BELIEVER! :-)

Share on Facebook852Tweet about this on Twitter11Pin on Pinterest41,710Google+10

Comments

1. Milli says

Oh Jill you are a lifesaver! I'm so tight-budgeted right now but I simply cannot sacrifice fabric conditioners from my grocery list and now I can!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

2. Momma Trish says

I have read that if you soak a washcloth in the fabric softener, wring it out and then let it air dry, you can throw that bad boy in the wash up to 40 times!! I have yet to try it, but I'm going to.

• Tracy says

I don’t know if you’ve tried that yet or not but it works AND makes the whole house smell good while you air dry. Mine only lasts about 15 loads but still!

• Tabitha says

Tracy- have you had any trouble with it coming off on your clothes? I had a friend who said they did that and had blue spots on their clothes afterwards.

• Elizabeth says

I started using the what my daughter calls “wash cloth dryer sheets” a few months ago and I LOVE them, I dry mine outside just to make it go a little quicker but my house still smells so nice ! Mine probably last anywhere from 15-20 loads … and I have not had any bleeding onto my clothes from them, maybe hers weren’t all the way dry ?

3. Anonymous says

35 years ago when money was tight I couldn't afford extras I did the washcloth trick (I came up with it on my own, taking a cue from dryer sheets). I used a dry washcloth put a little fsbric on it and never washed it. It eventually became saturated enough that I didn't have to add softner every time. Gonna try this recipe. Love saving money.

4. Anonymous says

I am wondering about sensitive skin. My newborn son and my toddler daughter have super sensitive skin!! It's crazy. Does anyone have a suggestion on what kind of conditioner to use? And if I don't use conditioner and I use essential oils do I use 2 cups of the oil??? So confused!!! HELP!

*MommyOf2Buckeyes – Columbus,OH*

• Lauren says

I don’t know for sure, but I would say 2 c of essential oil is WAAAAY too much, especially for sensitive skin. I’d look for an unscented or “sensitive skin” conditioner to try. Maybe Dove or Aveeno or something (Or generics thereof).

• Alissa says

You can use just white vinegar in your rinse cycle. It doesn’t smell as good but it’s what I use for my newborns before I’m willing to use other softener. I have front loading washer with a softener tray and I add 1/4 to a 1/2 a cup per load.

• Megs says

My skin is VERY particular, I find the more simple the soap/shampoo/conditioner, the better. Anything natural, without perfumes or dyes is generally safe (for me), vegan products are awesome because they have minimal components.

5. Anonymous says

i just made some with suave sweet pea violet and im patiently waiting for my washer to finish!

6. Sarah says

Anonymous, if you used 2 cups of essential oil you'd be spending a FORTUNE and they'd be able to smell your laundry a state away! I don't think you can just ELIMINATE the conditioner, though…you need to add something with lipids to the water/vinegar mix. I'm just not sure what. :/

• Jamie says

I put about 20 drops of EO into a glass quart sz bottle of white vinegar and added a little rubbing alcohol (i think a tsp, don’t remember right now) to help mix everything well. I give the bottle a good swirl before pouring into the rinse cycle and add 1/2 cup. I haven’t noticed a scent after drying them, but they smell nice before going into the dryer. lol I might save my EOs and just start using the vinegar. Another idea I’m considering is pouring the mix onto a washcloth to throw in the dryer. I made the fabric softener from a recipe of Jillee’s sister, Camp Wander. Also she had a DIY for dryer balls that you make out of socks. I used 2 old pair of the white fluffy kind and made 2 balls. You put the EO on the inner sock and the scent lasts for a lot of loads. Not strong, but still there.

• Andrea says

Yes and I just used the usual amount. It worked OK. Next batch I am going to use a little less water and see how it works.

• Frances says

I’m assuming if using a HE washer you put product in the fabric softener holder at the beginning of the wash, correct?

7. sailormom61 says

OK, so what am I doing wrong?? I followed the directions to the t and of course it smells great before I use it but my clothes do not smell like Rosemary Mint or anything else at all. Also, the washcloth soaked in liquid fabric softener and dried before using works great for static cling and lasts a long time but again after the first few loads the awesome smell was gone.

• Mrs.Moore says

Mine is the same way…do you have hard water? I think that’s why mine doesn’t smell after the wash. I did add extra conditioner to my batch to see if that helped. I’m going to send some to my sister in NC and see if she has the same problem.

• Gabby says

I didn’t notice any smell after washing my clothes so I added some essential oils to the fabric softener and can tell a difference. It is subtle but I can still smell it after they come out of the dryer.

8. Anonymous says

I have a septic system and I can't see this hurting it at all. You'd use less conditioner with this doing multiple loads of wash, than conditioning your hair in one shampoo. This isn't anywhere as thick as conditioner by itself. It's diluted down and works great.

1. [...] Rebecca’s Rosemary Mint Fabric Softener! Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. This entry was posted in DIY, Inspiration and tagged addict, BO, Coconut, DIY, Frabric Softener, Jillee, Mint, Pinterest, Rosemary by Le Mot Finale. Bookmark the permalink. [...]