Make Your Own Citrus Enzyme Cleaner

Let me start out by saying I AM NOT A PATIENT PERSON. Just ask anyone in my family. No wait, don’t. Just trust me on this one.

So when I read about making this enzyme cleaner that takes 3 MONTHS to “mature”…I just knew I could never stand the waiting! So I ALMOST passed on this idea….until I read in the COMMENTS of this particular blog post instructions how to speed the process up from 3 months to TWO WEEKS!

I thought about it long and hard….and after some DEEP soul searching…I decided I COULD do 2 weeks. :-)

So the “2 weeks” were up about 2 weeks ago, but things have been a bit hectic around here so I didn’t actually get around to giving it a good test drive until this weekend!  As you can see by the date on the bottle…I ALMOST made it ONE MONTH. :-)   So I figured it should be ready enough for a good test.  I decided the bathroom would be my first “test subject”.

After cleaning the toilet and the tub….I have to say….I am very impressed!

But let me back up a little. When I found this idea online I was intrigued because I had heard good things about enzymes. As a matter of fact….a few months back we had to call a plumber to deal with some clogged pipes that caused a minor flood. After he took care of the problem he gave us a bottle of enzyme cleaner to pour down the drains on a regular basis to KEEP it that way.  We have been CLOG-FREE ever since. :-)

So the idea of making my own enzyme cleaner was appealing for several reasons.

It’s natural, environment-friendly, and non-toxic.
It’s made from kitchen scraps!
It’s effective!

citrus enzyme cleaner

So here is the “recipe”:

Citrus Enzyme Cleaner

Things Needed:

2-liter Plastic Bottle
100 g (or about 1/2 cup) Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon yeast (optional, to speed up process)
1 liter Water
300 g (or about 2 cups) Lemon and/or Orange Scraps
Marking Pen

Pour the brown sugar into the 2-liter plastic bottle.
Cut the lemon and orange scraps (I only had lemons on hand) into pieces small enough to fit the mouth of the bottle. Put them in the bottle.
Add yeast. Add one liter of tap water into the bottle.
Tightly screw the cap so that no liquid falls out and dissolve the sugar by
shaking the bottle for about 30 seconds.

For the first couple of weeks, give the bottle a shake once a day, making sure to leave the bottle cap loosely fastened to avoid gas build-up (ie. Explosions!) from the fermentation process.

Using a marking pen, write the date on the bottle. It will take three months for the ingredients to ferment. (Or two weeks if you add the yeast.)

When the enzyme cleaner is ready…add half a cup of enzyme cleaner to one liter of water and mix thoroughly.  (Use more if you prefer a stronger concentration.)

Some uses recommended for this non-toxic, environmentally friendly enzyme:

1) for dishes and laundry (use 1/4 cup of enzyme)
2) for washing bathrooms and toilets. grime comes off easily (1 part enzyme to 10 parts water)
3) for removing stubborn stains and odours (coloured fabrics and floors) (use undiluted)
4) to clean vegetables and fruits (1 part enzyme to 10 parts water)
5) clear blockages in kitchen sinks and drains (use concentrated or blended pulp/sludge of enzyme)
6) as a natural insect repellent (use undiluted) for ants, cockroaches.
7) for mopping floors (1 part enzyme to 20 parts water)
8) as fertilizer for plants (use 1 part enzyme to 20 parts water, or use the leftover mop water)
9) as a skincare product, e.g. facial cleanser or toner (1 part enzyme to 2 parts water)
10) wash cars – cars will look as if they have just been polished! (1 part enzyme to 20 parts water)

I have EVEN read about people using this on their faces! I’m not quite brave enough….yet.  Maybe someday. :-)

I will definitely be trying out this “wonder cleaner” on more areas around my home and will continue to report my “findings” to you.

Meanwhile, if you have some leftover citrus laying around…why not make up a batch and see what you think???

Facebook1393Twitter19Pinterest13191Google+17

Comments

• Lealeta says

There seems to be a step that involves straining this but there are no instructions. After a couple weeks with some yeast, it smells good again instead of like rotten lemons. I guess I’ll puree and strain it and see what happens.

• Michayla says

Hi Jillee,

I have a question on this enzyme cleaner. At the bottom of this post it says to add 1/2 c to 1L of water… then below that it has a bunch of recommended uses that include using x part enzyme to x part water. My question is.. say for example i wanted to make recommended use #2 for bathrooms where it wants me to use 1:10 enzyme to water. Would I still add the 1/2 cup enzyme to 1 L water and then use only 1 part of that and add 10 parts of water?

Thanks for clarifying!

• Yashica says

The homemade cleanser she just
        Made is the enzyme cleaner she’s referring to. I’m pretty sure you could use this down your drain as well instead of specifically using the one from a plumber .

1. Anonymous says

I read some where that vinegar and orange peels in a quart jar for two weeks makes a good cleaner, just wondering if anyone has tried it on kitchen cabinets, mine need cleaned…

• Chanda says

I have tried the orange peel/vinegar and was not impressed. The vinegar/lemon/dawn recipe works a lot better so I figured why go through the orange peel ordeal again? I am looking forward to trying this enzyme concoction in my secret laboratory though! Yay for one more good thing! Will report back, jillee!

• Sarah says

I use this all the time…I use lemons in my glass of water so i just take the peel off and throw it in a bag in the freezer till i get enough then i toss them in a mason jar with white vinegar and let it set. the longer it sits the better it is and less vinegary it smells. I use it in mop water, as a multipurpose spray cleaner, in a mix with dawn and water in a spray bottle for dishes. It’s a must have for pet owners because it gets rid of the smells instead of masking them like other cleaners.

• Auntie Ams says

I have made the vinager/orange cleaner and LOVE IT!! What I read about it was that it was for counter tops. I think it would work wonderful on cabinets too. I’m still using up store bought cleaners and haven’t used it other places yet.

Actually, this recipe is not really an “enzyme”, but actually a recipe for homemade citrus vinegar. (The fruit/sugar/yeast ferments 1st to create alcohol, and then ferments a 2nd time to create acetic acid, ie: vinegar) I use regular white vinegar water 1:1 as an all-purpose cleaner. After I make my homemade vinegar, I would bet that it will be a bit stronger than store-bought vinegar so it will need to be more diluted.

• Donna says

I actually started making the Orange peel and vinegar cleaner before I found Jillees blog. I really like it, It cleans mirrors like brand new.. I buff them with the blue shop towels you can buy in the automotive dept at wal-mart. I also use it as my all over the kitchen even inside the fridge cleaner. But since I found this website, I am going to buy microfiber cloths. I dont do the Orange peel vinegar by the quart. I am actually making it by the gallon. (milk jugs) and I am now starting to leave it in there longer and longer and its just getting better. the gallon I have in there now is losing the vinegar smell and it getting more and more orangy. Its also turning a dark color. I also started to chop the peels up with my cuisinart so I can put more in the jug. I keep them in the fridge until I add vinegar so they dont mold or dry out. But today I am using my peels to try Jillees enzyme cleaner. I am also using all citrus not just oranges. I am really enjoying making all the home made cleaners. I am excited to try Jillees. I am goinf to make every one of them!! oh .. I am dieting btw.. thats why I have sooo many peels.. LOL

• Diamond says

Instead of using lemon peel with vinegar, try citric acid, which is what you’re trying to get out of the citrus peels anyhow. I buy mine in bulk online, and make the following all-purpose cleaner with it:

Dissolve 1 tablespoon of citric acid in 1 cup of boiling water, let it cool, then mix with 1 cup of vinegar. Pour it all into a spray bottle (you can add a few drops of essential oil if you like), and you’ve just made a fantastic disinfectant cleaner all on your own :)

If you use this with a sprinkle of baking soda on tough messes – it foams up and works like magic!

I will still be making the enzyme solution for pet messes and for use as a facial cleanser, but for an easy instant all purpose spray, this is another good solution. enjoy!

I HAVE tried the vinegar/citrus concoction and as for me and my experience with it I would say buy Simple Green instead…the concoction did NOT work for me…I used it on interior and exterior refrigerator ,countertop and even my range hood…I was NOT impressed!!!

2. Anonymous says

Hi Jillee,

My friend just sent your link.
    I am going to make and I have a few questions.
    Must it be plastic or could I use a glass jar?
    Also, you say to cut into small pieces but first photo shows a hand lemon juicer. Is that just for a beautiful photo or do you sometimes squeeze the juice out first?

Thanks,
    Ruth
    Don't have a blog or any of those other choices of profiles so I went with anony.

3. Anonymous says

OK, I need to share my exerience. Please don't laugh in my face, but be adult and snicker behind my back. I read this post and was so excited. I had a bunch of lemons that I needed to do something with. So I chopped them up and made a DOUBLE batch of this in my 2 liter bottle. BAD IDEA — I am so lucky that it did not explode all over the kitchen. I ended up loosening the cap and letting the pressure off until the bottle was empty. My take away from this — you for sure cannot make a double batch in a 2 liter bottle. I am going to try again — one batch, one bottle. And I love your BLOG, I will eventually try all of your homemade products. Keep up the good work and thanks.

4. Jill Nystul says

Natalie…not a dumb question…because it seems like it would! But nothing I have tried it on yet has felt "sticky". Of course you DILUTE it before using. :-)

Allison…I don't see any reason it wouldn't be perfectly fine for baby clothes. It is 100% natural.

Anony….Mar 19…I'm not sure about the pet urine. I think that the enzyme used to clean urine stains uses an oxidation method to remove the stain and odor. That being said…it certainly wouldn't hurt anything to try!

Ruth…I think a glass jar or bottle would be just fine. The juicer you see in the pictures is from juicing the lemons first. These particular lemons I had were getting a little on the overripe side, so I decided to juice them and I froze the juice in ice cube trays and then threw the cubes in the freezer for future use. :-)

Ryann…I think limes would be AWESOME! :-) ANY citrus fruit will do.

Anony…Mar 22…Oh dear!! You ARE lucky it didn't explode all over everything! lol. Thanks for the warning. ;-)

just wanted to thank u for the simple version of this recipe. i had a tomcat wizz all over the backseat of my car (i know, never leave ur windows down). needless to say the best advice i got was, sell the car. i cant afford that. i used the enzyme cleaner (1/3 cleaner- 2/3 water) in a drizzle bottle. saturated the seat, threw a towel over it n i was amazed, it did wonders. i can drive without the windows down. i live in 29 palms n the air con is a must. thank u again. i can now put my grandsons carseat base back in my car n take him for a ride

5. Cindy says

I just tried out my first finished batch of this enzyme cleaner and it is absolutely AMAZING! Cuts the grim off the bathroom sinks, cleaned the toilet as good or better than any purchased cleaner I have used … I am totally geeked because I did it myself, it costs only pennies to make, and it is so versatile and works great! Thanks Jillee!!

6. Laura says

Today was the day I got to use my new cleaner!! I loved it, I live in a city with extremly hard water and this cleaner took all my calcium deposits away with very little scrubbing. Always a bonus!! thank youf or sharing your tips, they are fabulous.

7. Tabby Marx says

I was worried about how toxic this is, I know orange oil has been considered to be toxic, at least in the keep-away-from-children level. And just because we can pronounce the ingredients, doesn’t mean it is safe. The rinds and pith have the oil in them (since we don’t eat those, the oranges or citrus is OK for us to eat) and that means the oil gets into the cleaning solution. So I would 1.) wear gloves when using this cleaner 2.) keep away from pets, children and adults with health issues like asthma, immunity problems, chronic illnesses, etc.
    Read this article that has a lot of links in it, it shows how some ‘experts’ think it is safe and some ‘experts’ think it is not. So err on the side of safety. I’m making the solution but planning on wearing gloves when using it, like I usually do when cleaning, and putting it up on a high shelf away from kids.

• Athena says

Caution is always good. However, my daughter has sever asthma and allergies and the only cleaning products she can tolerate the smell of without having an attack is vinegar, dawn and citrus. I would keep any cleaning product stored safely but the lack of fumes from home made products keep her from having an attack whenever I clean.

• Charlieokay says

Tabby Mark:

You certainly gave some food for thought…no pun intended :D

I’m not so sure there is enough essential oil in this recipe to really cause that much of a concern. Essential oils are extracted by distillation and as a result are super concentrated because basically they are isolated.

Unless someone has an allergy to citrus, I wouldn’t worry too much about it – I’ve seen people eat lemon rinds without dropping. :D

• Heidi says

I highly doubt it’s toxicity. We make Joes Ancient Orange Mead very similar to this recipe (except we use honey and 1 full orange including peel per gallon)…and we drink it…lol That being said, I am going to pop a glass and try cleaning my tub with it while I enjoy a glass…yum

• Judy L. says

I have this same question!!! Bac-out is so expensive and this does sound similar. I noticed on the biokleen site (see http://www.fireflydiapers.com/biokleen.htm) that it does contain cider vinegar, so I’m wondering if a lemon/vinegar enzyme recipe would be closer…I hope someone tries this soon. I’m making a list of homemade baby supplies, and hope to add this to it! Has anyone found a way to make homemade Bio-Clean??? Happy experimenting everyone!

• Korrie says

I also love Bac-Out! It smells great and takes the stain and smell out of puppy stains. I did a google search for “diy bac-out” and found multiple people linking to another site. The recipe is exactly the same as the one found here, and I feel Jillee presents the process in a manner that is easier to follow. I will be trying this very soon!
      I also use Bac-Out as an addition to my homemade laundry soap (used one of the great recipes from this site) for smellier loads. Again, puppy related. I add it to my bleach reservoir and everything smells fresh and lightly lime-y when it is done.

Has anyone had any problems with stopping the fermentation? I am wondering how long it will continue to ferment (eating up all that nice sugar!). I’m wondering if you would continue to build pressure in a sprayer bottle after the two weeks. I’m betting diluting it would stop it, but the wannabe wine-maker and science geek in me is curious. I had a batch of wine that I bottled before it was done fermenting one time, and it built pressure and turned into sparkling (carbonated) wine pretty quickly. I didn’t lose any bottles to explosions, but this recipe has my curiosity peaked! Guess I’ll have to make some and find out! :) My citrus-vinegar cleaner is my favorite cleaner for pretty much everything, so this one looks like a great one to try! Off to get the kids to eat some oranges!

• Heidi says

STOP FERMINTATION
      Potassium Sorbate stops fermentation. Buy it a wine store.

Keep in fridge. Yeast will go dormant but will kick in again if you leave it out to get warm again.

Add colloidal silver and it will not only kill remaining yeast, but add anti-microbial action to your cleaner.

You can kill yeast if heated over 95 degrees, but not sure if that would kill any good enzymes the cleaner needs.

9. Kim says

I made the yeast version of citrus enzymes first. Instead of using a 2 litre bottle, I used a 4 litre (1 gallon) plastic distilled water jug. While the fermenting process took place, the bottle didn’t appear close to blowing up and the hole to stuff the peels through is a bit larger. Everything worked out as expected, not sure how much to filter my product, but in clear plastic bottles I can see sediment (plus I squeezed out any air from those bottles in case they expand. I’ve now tried the original recipe (without yeast) and to “kick it up a notch” I threw in a TBLSP of blackstrap molasses as I only had yellow sugar. Blackstrap molasses is supposed to have some kind of digestive yeast in it. Used the gallon jug, and 4 hrs. later the jug was so bloated I couldn’t believe it. I squeezed most of the air out of the jug before putting the lid on it – and boom 4 hours later, bloated again (life lesson here). So, now I’m leaving the lid slightly ajar to let the gas burp out. Very exciting.

10. Andrea Keller says

Just wondering, does it matter what type of yeast? Pizza, fast acting, regular? I’m not sure what the difference between them is exactly, so I thought I’d see if it mattered in this case.

11. Justine says

Just in case you’re interested, this cleaner does not actually contain enzymes. I reading the posts at the other site you linked to and followed a link she posted, curious about the safety of enzymes. It turns out the recipe is basically making fruit vinegar. I always wondered how vinegar was made and now I know (and can make my own). It’s definitely a good science lesson LOL! :)

12. Shelli says

Unfiltered vinegar contains a high amount of enzymes, which is part of the reason that Apple Cider Vinegar acts as a digestive aid, as well as an exfoliant. You know, sometimes I wish I could read something and then stop googling. A lot of information is good- I know that, but Oy sometimes it’s mind frying ; )

Hi! I am now 2 weeks into the making of my enzyme with yeast added. I am ready to put it to the test, BUT, it smells like wine (the fermenting fruit, I guess). I just want to make sure that it is supposed to smell like this. *crossing fingers* Thanks in advance!

14. Rita says

My first batch of enzyme cleaner was ready yesterday.
    I had been waiting for it do make another batch of “Clorox” wipes
    I used 2 T of the concentrated citrus cleaner INSTEAD of the ammonia

I found tea tree oil as well as a small jar of coconut oil in the Wal-Mart pharmacy area.

15. Katie says

Holy EXPLOSION!!! Don’t forget to loosen that top each day! This time I am using a balloon on the top…well, we didn’t have any balloons, but we do have a “balloon-type” item! hahaha! And yes, it is on the top of my citrus enzyme cleaner right now and I get a laugh every time I open that cupboard!!!

16. Kelly says

I don’t think I made mine right! For some reason I thought you needed to keep it in the fridge (your picture above looks like it was in the fridge, but then I looked at it again today and it was in your cabinet…….duuuuuh!). I didn’t have very much gas and it never smelled like anything besides lemons and water. Man I was excited! I guess it is pretty much just lemonade now! lol!

17. Carrie says

This sure looks like a hooch recipe to me! As someone who’s made homemade soda and mead before I could share a bit about fermenting.

1. As far as yeast, any type will do, just use cheap bread yeast, since you’re not concerned with flavor like if you were making a beverage. Yeast will produce alcohol by consuming the vinegar.

2. Homebrewers use airlocks to keep unwanted microbes out of their brew and allow gas to escape; if you leave the cap off to let gas out, you may be introducing wild yeasts and bacteria, among which may be microbes which consume alcohol and produce vinegar, which may be the desired result (does this stuff smell like wine or beer, or does it smell like vinegar when it’s done?). It’s also possible that mold could be introduces and screw everything up.

I don’t know what sort of cleaner this is, or if there could be dangerous germies in it if the wrong microbes get in there. If it’s alcohol, it could get up to I think 20% before it kills off the yeast, which would be similar to rubbing alcohol diluted 1:3 ish with water. If it’s vinegar, it’s probably a stronger acidity level than store bought, since store bought is diluted to a standard acidity level.

18. Jillian Tackett says

Hello, I am going to make my cleaner soon and read some of the comments about their’s smelling bad? Can we add essential oil once the fermenting is complete?

19. Misty Herod says

I put lemon in my water and we eat oranges, so I was wondering if I could collect the citrus scraps over time…maybe freeze then until I have enough, or do they need to be fresh?

20. Rita says

Another use……
    After getting the shower really clean with the vinegar/Dawn solution, I mist it every night with a citrus solution and it is STAYING clean! I do use the shower sprayer
    to go over the walls so the water has sheeted and not in droplets.

I also replaced the ammonia with full strength in making the clorox cloths & they work great. I have 2 bottles “brewing now”….don’t want to run out.

21. Misty H says

My first batch was ready today and I have already put it to the test: the inside of my microwave. I have 8 and 11 year olds that aren’t careful about putting anything over their spaghetti o’s before nuking. Needless to say the dried sauce was everywhere when I opened it this afternoon, and I thought “my cleaner is ready, oh boy!” The straining process was the most difficult part of the whole deal, but might be the reason I’m the most excited. I got this cleaner all over my hands while squeezing it through a rag and …nothing. I have eczema on my fingers and all cleaners make them itch burn and break out, except this one. I can’t even wear gloves because my sweat irritates them, but I’ve been cleaning like a mad woman the last hour and my hands are fine. It doesn’t smell “nice”, but diluted you barely notice and I even cleaned the mirror in my bathroom. My kids even used it to clean their bathroom and said it worked better than the Mr. Clean we normally use, and it’s easier the breathe. If kids notice and difference it’s a BIG difference! I couldn’t be happier with this stuff.

22. Dahli says

I add grapeseed oil to it for surfaces including bathtubs, sinks and toilets. It seems to keep the surface cleaner longer and in the case of bathtubs, showers and toilets seems to continue the cleaning process for a few weeks for those people who can’t seem to scrub hard enough on hard water or soap scum clean the tub as best you can and then after that every time you shower it cleans it a little more. It seems to have effectively knocked out mildew and pink scum.
    It works great for pet stains and best of all if the pets drink it, it won’t make them sick.

• Dahli says

For pretty much all basic cleaning using a bucket(this is not spray bottle cleaning but weekly scrubbing)1/8 cup to 1/8 cup plus 4 cups warm water.
        For just spot cleaning the carpet after pets(I have 11 cats)I use 1/4 cup to 8 cups warm water. It also works for lipstick and blood but I did use my grapeseed oil blend on the bathroom carpet the other day with great results. No greasy or sticky residues on carpet, linoleum, counters or mirrors and it doesn’t make the tub slick either. I have even been getting out old nicotine stains.

• Gwyn says

So you use 1/8 cup citrus concentrate to 1/8 cup grape seed oil in 4 cups of water for deep cleaning bathroom surfaces and the 1/4 cup citrus with 8 cups water for carpets, linoleum, counters, walls and mirrors? Am I understanding that correctly? Can I assume the latter without the grapeseed oil is what you keep in a spray bottle for general upkeep as well? Sorry if I’m being thick I just needed to make sure I was understanding that correctly. Thanks for the help and ideas.

23. Sharon says

I’ve made a bunch of bottles, using PINEAPPLE scraps/peels! (We’ve been making lots of smoothies lately.) They smell divine!

While I started the first few batches using yeast (I can’t wait three months, either!), I’m now using ½ fruit scraps with ½ “sludge” (the drained fermented remains); that is, 150 grams each of the fresh scraps and the sludge. This also accelerates the fermentation.

After I drain and strain two bottles (I usually make two at a time), I throw some of the sludge into the garbage disposal, run the water, and run the disposal for a short time. Hopefully, while the disposed sludge sits in the pipes, it will help to clean out any residual fats that may clog them.

24. RMR says

I thought I’d share my cleaning experiences with the citrus cleaner (pineapple and orange leftovers). I was a skeptic, but no longer! I have cleaned my walls, cabinets, counter tops, mirrors, molding, and floors with it, and wonder of wonders, the stuff actually works! I then did the unthinkable, and tried the facial recipe. It left my skin feeling nice and smooth, without any dryness. (I have combination skin.) My next trial was using it in addition to my baking soda/water shampoo because I was still getting a greasy build-up at the nape of my neck after 6 weeks of going no-poo. (I have waist length hair and had tried all the quick fixes other sites had suggested.) It was great! No more grease, only soft and shiny hair! I have also used the citrus cleaner diluted in a spray bottle in addition to Jillee’s homemade shout for collars and armpits. I was getting the stains out but not the odors, and this combo seems to have done the trick for both :) Thankyou, Jillee, for all of your great ideas. I love your site!

25. Mendy A. says

Could anyone please tell me what this is supposed to smell like? I was thinking it would smell like citrusy vinegar, but… Well I must say, I may have left mine too long. I made it back in January, did the shaking and the waiting and thought I should let it sit longer because it smelled like alcohol. I thought alcohol would not be good for hardwood floors, so I thought maybe I hadn’t waited long enough. So I let it sit, and sit, and sit-smelling it every now and then. Still getting the smell of alcohol, but now the scent is so strong it smells like tequila! Does anyone know what I did wrong or if this is how it is supposed to smell (I mean I did plan to clean with it, not drink it, haha)? Thanks!

You sound like me…I too have 3 batches of the enzyme cleaner,one of which was started in January and of course is ready now and th second in March, and the last the end of March….I must have done something wrong because so far everything I have tried to clean with it…it did NOT work….getting my home ready to sell so all must be cleaned…not good on my walls…did nothing there and my window screens…did NOT remove any of the dirt on those…last of all on my tub…not really clean…..so I broke down and bought Simple Green and there is a new Mr Clean (liquid muscle) which I just tried and I DO like it too and both of these are not hard on your hands/skin…but the enzyme cleaner too is not harsh, at least I had no problem with it…but just wondered what I did wrong since it does NOT work for me…I made the recipe without the yeast, but all the other ingredients were as set forth on this site…if anyone has any helpful hints for me to try with it please let me know. Also I have tried many of the “recipes” on here for other things and most of them DO work…Good job Gillee!!!

26. Anon says

For the past week or so, I have been reading this blog! I LOVE it, and I wish I had stumble upon it eons ago! I’m not even sure how I got here, but once I did, I couldn’t stop clicking on your other links. I have NEVER been addicted to anyone’s blog before. I wanted to say something regarding this cleaner, but I’m no expert, so I hope someone who is will chime in. I am an ammature wine-maker, so like I said, I am only guessing at what I am about to tell you. I have read that while attempting to make wine, one of two things happens. Either you make wine or you make vinegar. I’m guessing that this recipe is supposed to make vinegar? If so, those of you who have something that smells like alcohol made wine! I’m pretty sure that as long as you see no mold, you can drink it. If it smells like vinegar, you can use it in the above recipe.

I managed to do something wrong! I used the quick method, but as I collected my citrus, I put them in the freezer until I had enough. When I give the cleaner a sniff (both the concentrated and the diluted mixture) it smells vinegar-y, but when I spray it….. well, it literally smells like vomit. Really, really vile. I’ve used it three times. The first time, it smelled fine, but the second time was awful. Since the cleaner in the bottle only smelled like citrus and vinegar (I checked), I figured that it reacted with something in the bathroom and tried it again in my kitchen. Yuck. I poured the diluted stuff out and haven’t tried more of the concentrate. I currently have a batch (never frozen, this time) ripening. The yeast less, three month version.
    Do any of you experienced readers happen to know where I went wrong?
    I am beyond disappointed and my teenage daughters are just grossed out. Although, that part is funny!

28. Felicity says

MOLD!! I live in a warm, humid place (if that makes a difference). But after about a week of my enzyme sitting on my counter it has formed a white layer of mold I believe. I mixed it and it came back….. Is this a bad thing??

• Chelsea says

Mine does this too (I live in So FL)…add more sugar…the yeast doesn’t have enough to eat. The end results I think smell TERRIBLE, however, the stuff really works well on pet/kid stains so I keep in around to keep carpets/upholstery fresh. The smell goes away once it’s done working.

29. Leigh Devine says

Maybe I’m not doing something right….but I used yeast and exactly two weeks later opened it up. The smell isn’t that great. I diluted it and went to town….cleaning drains, sinks, etc. Not only did it not clean my kitchen sink, it doesn’t even smell clean! Grrr…help!

30. Stacy says

I had a different experience. I made mine in a pitcher with a lid as we use soda stream and don’t have soda bottles around. I put some diluted in a spray bottle and sprayed it on my shower wall. That produced black spots. I added some full strength to my wash to get the smell out of our work out clothes. The clothes smell clean but I have mildew all along the rubber seal of my washer. Perhaps the covered pitcher was unable to keep out mold spores.

However, Stater Bros sells hydrogen peroxide that I now spray on my shower walls and it works great! Also I add vinegar to my wash to get then sweaty clothes smelling clean.

31. Angela B. says

This may sound like a crazy question, but I have some of this I made 1 1/2 years ago and FORGOT about it in the garage (lid loosened, thank goodness) until I saw this! How long does this stuff keep? It looks fine (I never strained it). I originally found the recipe on an Asian site and the author cleaned an entire outside market with the stuff with amazing results (no nasty smells after various vendors used the place).

1. [...] 2. Filled a squirt bottle 1/2 full with ammonia. Squirted a small amount of ammonia on each section of floor I ran the steam mop over.  I ended up using MAYBE 1/2 a cup of ammonia to finish my whole kitchen, dining and laundry room area. (If you have an objection to ammonia….vinegar would be a good substitute. Next time I think I will try some of my Citrus Enzyme Cleaner.) [...]

2. [...] a good way to use up those leftover orange, lime and lemon peels? Make this Citrus Enzyme Cleaner from One Good Thing by Jillee. Seriously want to try making this as it looks like it does such a [...]

3. [...] were getting soft, so I made blueberry compote. One carton was past its prime so I am using it in homemade enzyme cleaner (aka fruit vinegar). So that leaves me with four cartons frozen, two jars of delicious compote, and [...]