Saturday, April 28, 2012

Cut Fat, Calories and Your Grocery Bill!
Make Your Own Cooking Spray.

cooking-spray This post is brought to you by Amazon where you can get deals on kitchen products!

Today’s post comes from the files of “Captain Obvious”!  I mean really…making your own Cooking Spray is about as easy as “making” a bowl of cereal with milk…but for WHATEVER reason, it wasn’t until I happened to see this pin on Pinterest that it even occurred to me to “make” it.

And I probably STILL wouldn’t have tried “making it” if it weren’t for No. 2 son requesting GF cornbread today.

I was on the very last spray in my can of spray canola oil and had zero desire to go to the store to buy more. Sure, I could have just “greased” the pan with some butter or shortening, but that didn’t seem all that appealing either, especially when I remembered the “Make Your Own Cooking Spray” idea!

Kitchen genius.

• It’s as easy as 1 (pour) – 2 (shake)  - 3 (spray)!
  • It cuts the amount of fat you use when cooking.
  • It saves money!
  • It eliminates nasty additives like BUTANE??
  • No sticky residue build-up on pans!

Well, I don’t know about you….but that is MORE than enough reasons for me to NEVER buy another one of those ridiculously over-priced cans.

cooking spray

Ready to find out how to make it??

To make your own cooking spray……pour oil and water into a spray bottle and shake well before use.

Well OK, that is the EXTREMELY simplified version…but you get the picture. The EXTREMELY complicated version isn’t much different. :-)

Homemade Cooking Spray

by Natures Nurture

Ingredients

1 part olive oil (or your choice of oil)
5 parts water
1 misting spray bottle

Instructions

Mix in your spray bottle 1 part olive oil to 5 parts water. In my 12 ounce bottle, I poured in 2 ounces of canola oil and added 10 ounces of water. Shake well and you’re done. That’s it. Store in a cool, dark place.

cooking spray
Make sure the bottle you use is a MISTING spray bottle.  (A plant mister would be perfect!)  But the bottle I got at Walmart for about $1.50 works fine too.

I just used plain canola oil because I was out of olive oil. I think I will try that next time. Both worked well. I just prefer the taste, texture, and performance of olive oil.

Finally, just for fun, I printed out a  “Cooking Spray” label and slapped it on the bottle just so there would be no mistakes. And since most likely the spray bottle will be handled by oily, messy hands in the kitchen, I covered the whole label with clear, packaging tape.

I can hardly wait to use it again! I feel another batch of GF Cornbread coming on.  I’m sure No. 2 son won’t mind. :-)

This post is brought to you by Amazon:

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

120 thoughts on “Cut Fat, Calories and Your Grocery Bill!
Make Your Own Cooking Spray.

1. Cathryn

I’ve tried using plain olive oil in a mister before, but it doesn’t seem to have the same non-stick power as pam. Maybe adding water will do the trick…I’ll give it a try.

Also, would you mind sharing your GF cornbread recipe?

2. jenne

I love ur products and I think it is totally hilarious that when I viewed this article, there was an advertisement to “Try Pam” Cooking Spray.

3. Deebi27

Great idea and MONEY SAVING, but does anyone realize the fantastic value of Olive Oil? Olive Oil is the only major type of oil that increases the good cholesterol (HDL) and decreases the cholesterol (LDL) and in the blood stream. This is a very good thing for your health!

4. Pingback: Cut Fat, Calories and Your Grocery Bill! Make Your Own Cooking … | Organic Rapeseed Oil

5. Alex

Hey Jillee, Been doing this for a few years now. My mum went on a trip to Canada and stayed in a fancy, 5 star hotel – they did the same when cooking waffles. She brought the idea home and we’ve done this ever since and never had a problem. Alex

6. Pattie

Going to try this. I have been using a mixture of 2 parts oil (canola) and 1 part liquid lecithin. Works really well except that I can’t use a spray bottle (too thick). I have it in a squirt bottle and use a (silicone) brush. I also have to shake the bottle because the oil/lecithin separates.

7. Maria

Hi Jillee,

I just ‘stumbled upon’ your site and I must tell you…. I love it! When I came across your site it was on your post regarding the “HM Laundry Detergent” and after reading some of the comments I had to laugh at the , “please educate yourself” comment left by two of the readers. Very funny!!

I cant wait to catch up and read your previous post!.
    Thanks for all the ‘OneGoodThings’!! :)

1. Sade

Great tip Jill! I have been thinking about making some home made Pam but didn’t know what to use exactly-this was a very timely and frugal post!!! Thanks for all your tips/research you do for us!

8. Heidi Wegner

Jillee,
    So love your posts & getting them in my fb stream! Have to tell you that I love this idea and can’t wait to use it. So many of the things you’ve posted I have on my to do list that my husband said today, “Shouldn’t that be Jillee’s To Do List?” Smarty! Anyway, my kids now call the Hershey’s Syrup – Jillee’s Sauce and we totally adore it. Since realizing I was still nailing myself eating cocoa rice I’ve now come to eating rice chex with the Hershey’s syrup on it because I can’t give up chocolate! Oh, I omitted the vanilla as I don’t have gf vanilla and no one noticed :) Thanks for all you do!!!

9. Liz

Love your stuff!

Just a quick question: where in Walmart did you find the bottle? I’ve been looking for a small misting bottle like this (for several projects) and all I can seem to find are either streams or giant ironing sized bottles.

Thank you so much! You rock!

1. Jillee Post author

Liz, there are a couple of places to look. In the cleaning supplies, in the bathroom supplies, in the laundry care (ironing) supplies area, and in the health and beauty section. (I think that’s where I got this one.)

10. Marissa

I’m totally going to make this tomorrow! I cannot believe that it’s that easy! How could I not think of that?! I’ll get a spray bottle from the dollar store asap!

1. Marissa

We had this today and it worked really well! Ours seemed a little watery and we’re going to work on the mixture a bit. But no complaints so far.

11. jennifer

I have the pampered chef mister. I had forgotten about it until now. It has a pump that acts as the butane but uses air instead. Thanks for the reminder.

12. Sarah @ Nature's Nurture

Just got a trackback from this post – yay! I’m so glad you liked the cooking spray! I know what you mean about “Captain Obvious”. It was a total “duhhh” moment for me too ;)

For folks who are asking about the ratio, depending on the type of oil you use, you can just start with a 3:1 ratio and then work your way up from there. Hope that helps!

13. sue

okay – on this with the olive oil it says 1 part oil to 5 parts of water – is that 1 cup oil to five cups water? i am not smart sometimes with this.sue

1. Jillee Post author

Sue….1 “part” just means for every 5 cups/tablespoons/teaspoons…whatever….you use 1 of the same.

For example: If you use 1 tablespoon of oil…use 5 tablespoons of water. That way you can make it in the amount you want. A lot…or a little. :-)

Hope this helps!

14. Jamie

I bought an oil sprayer from Walmart (cooking section) and I don’t have to add water. I guess I could if I wanted too but I don’t. The tube that goes into the oil also has a filter on it so you can infuse the oil as well and you don’t have to worry about clogs. I currently have garlic cloves in mine but you can add just about anything.

1. Sarah @ Nature's Nurture

Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention, Char! You know, that Crunchy Betty post showed up in my RSS reader this morning but I didn’t think much of it and just skipped right over it! After reading it, I went ahead and edited my original post for the cooking spray to include some of the tips she mentions in her post. Thanks again!

Blessings,
      Sarah @ Nature’s Nurture

15. m

I bought one of those oil mister bottles from pampered chef about 11 years ago, but it never really worked right. I am gonna have to try this again. I really hate all of those additives in the store bought sprays. Thanks for the reminder.

16. Leah Allison

Hi Jill!

I’ve been reading TONS of your old posts lately and LOVE them. I’m recently married… and must stick to a budget. So many of you ideas are helpful. (:

NOW on to the “cooking spray” business. Good idea! But have you ever heard of liquid lecithin? O_O Google it.

I used regular olive oil for “nonstick” purposes on my bread pans for my first ever batch of married life a couple months ago (to avoid the overpriced sprays at the store…). But it didn’t work very well. My mom-in-law used liquid lecithin. So i picked up a HUGE bottle from a local whole foods store. I simply added a little bit into the olive oil (or canola oil) and mixed. PERFECTION! The bread does NOT stick anymore! It’s really easy and slides right out.

So I would suggest add canola (or olive oil) + the water + the spray bottle + a little liquid lecithin= perfect non-stick spray.

Apparently the lecithin is the secret ingredient (:

17. Pingback: Gluten Free {Or Not} Cornbread | One Good Thing by Jillee

18. Sara

I’ve tried this with vegetable oil and also olive oil, and it doesn’t seem to work for me/ I don’t know why. I made 2 loaves of bread the other day, using the spray stuff on one pan and the homemade stuff on the other. The homemade loaf, I had to pry it out of the pan. So, I added more oil. Haven’t tried it yet to see if this works?

19. Amanda Crandell

Sorry but I tried this twice and it didn’t work for me at all. Biscuits the first time and brownies the second. We were digging the browines out of the pan. Good idea but not this combination.

20. leighton

hey jill! i just tried this and was disappointed to learn that the oil floats up to the top in bubbles. shaking really well didnt seem to help either. what am i doing wrong?

21. Pingback: Wednesday Link Dump: Best DIY Articles For Saving Money | CouponWallet Blog

1. Mina

Parts just means what ratio oil to water you need to mix. For this recipe it would mean:
      1 cup of oil to 5 cups water; or
      1/2 cup oil to 2.5 cups water; or
      1 Tablespoon oil to 5 Tablespoons of water;
      or 1 teaspoon oil to 5 teaspoons of water etc.
      It just depends on what quantity you want to make.

22. MimiB

Two points…

first, lecithin is sometimes made from animal fat, sometimes from vegetable sources. If you’re a vegetarian you should read the label to be sure you aren’t adding animal fat to your food.

second, cooking oil, whether canola, veg or olive can go rancid after awhile, especially if it gets over heated or is exposed to a lot of light. so… don’t make too much of this spray at once and keep it in your refrigerator or a dark cool place. The good old sniff test is how you tell. If your mix smells a little off or musty, discard and make some fresh.

23. Pingback: Weekly Wrap-Up | Straight from the Pages

24. Paula

I thought olive oil was the only oil that wouldn’t become rancid. I don’t use canola oil. Ewwww.

I use olive oil instead of expensive makeup remover. Well, also because I used makeup remover one time to remove all-day lipstick you put a sealer over, and I developed hives on my lips. (Benadryl gel took care of that problem.) But olive oil works very well to remove all makeup, and it’s actually good for your skin. I like the idea of the cooking spray replacer. That’s very useful. Thank you, all of you!

25. cindy k

love the idea and will try. However do you have one for a butter spray.? We use the spray butter for popcorn and things and love it….? Ideas..?
    Thanks

26. Cheryl R

You’re actually not supposed to use the commercial non-stick spray on non-stick pans – it can ruin them – had that happen to a couple of cookies sheets from using that spray. The home-made stuff might be a different story, however.

1. Kathy Davis

I just recently found out that you are NOT supposed to use store bought cooking spray on non stick pans! NEVER knew this and I’ve been cooking for 40 years! I was told it “gums up” after awhile and ruins your pans. I believe that. I’m replacing expensive pans after 6 or 7 years. Lesson learned.

27. Coralie

A lot of people have been mentioning Olive Oil but in fact you must be very careful frying Olive Oil as if you over heat it you “split” it, releasing “saturated” fats rather than unsaturated and make it much less good for you.

So if you’re frying with Olive Oil, don’t let it smoke, otherwise you should throw it out and heat again from scratch. Plus, its bad for most pans to heat up that much anyway ;)

Sorry if someone already said this.

Love and blessings, Cj

28. Pingback: Make Your Own Cooking Spray in Minutes to Cut Fat, Calories, Toxic Chemicals, and Your Grocery Bill! | Conscious Life News

29. Pay To survey

We are a gaggle of volunteers and starting a brand
    new scheme in our community. Your website offered us with helpful info to work on.
    You’ve performed an impressive task and our entire community will be grateful to you.

30. Chelsea

I work with packaging, and while I don’t know all of the chemicals in PAM, I can tell you that butane is the propellant and not a “nasty additive.” It is the required chemical used to get the product out of the can, is safe for consumption in the quantities that is is used as a propellant, and is in several other things that you put on your body. Not everyone knows this, I understand, but that is the reason it’s there!

That said, going natural with a shorter ingredients list is never bad. Hopefully this works well!

31. Dasie Lea

I am shocked that so many of the people interested in wholesome and inexpensive food have resorted to shopping at WalMart where we know the workers are mistreated, if not in your store, then in the one next to it and especially the ones who work in shipping. Be careful of where you spend your dollars, Ol’ Sam would NEVER have stood for this, I can tell you. Remember when he had stuff Made In America only in the store. He must be spinning in his grave now to see what his stores have become. Sad…