{2} Simple Glass Cleaners For Sparkling Windows and Mirrors!

homemade glass cleaner

As odd as it may seen, I have never done a post on homemade glass cleaner before. However, I have addressed cleaning windows and mirrors quite a few times.

Here are a couple “blasts from the past”:

These techniques and formulas have done a great job, but I’ve always thought I was missing something…and then it came to me…grease-cutting action! I don’t know about you….but we get plenty of greasy fingerprints on our mirrors and windows (and other shine-able surfaces!).

So I decided to make up a big bottle of this recipe I found on Margarets Cleaning website.

She uses this glass cleaner in her cleaning service to save money and to remove greasy fingerprints with just a swipe!

Since we just got finished having tile installed in our kitchen and EVERYTHING is covered in dust and filth….this big bottle is going to come in handy!

Ingredients

• Empty gallon jug (I used one of my favorite re-purposing containers…a Minute Maid OJ jug).
  • 1/2 cup ammonia
  • 16 oz. rubbing alcohol
  • 1 teaspoon blue Dawn dish detergent

homemade glass cleaner

• Fill the empty gallon jug 1/2 full of water. Add the above ingredients, adding the Dawn last, so it doesn’t lather too much when pouring in the other ingredients.
  • After adding the ingredients, finish filling the jug with water until it’s full.
  • Gently shake jug to thoroughly mix ingredients, then pour some into a spray bottle.

homemade glass cleaner
For its first test I handed it a doozie!  THIS bathroom mirror. I’m not saying whose bathroom this IS….let’s just say it’s NOT MINE! :-)

homemade glass cleaner

I was thrilled to discover that Margaret’s homemade glass cleaner made short work of the grimy bathroom mirror. It really wasn’t even a CHALLENGE for this cleaner formula. It EASILY cut through the grease and grime and made the mirror SHINE in no time flat!

============

If you’re looking for an all natural glass cleaning formula…Margaret’s got that too! And the beauty of this formulation is its effectiveness at removing stubborn water spots from glass doors….such as the shower or patio doors!

All Natural Glass Cleaner

• Simply mix equal amounts of white vinegar with water.
  • If you have stubborn water spots….spray on, leave on a few minutes, and wipe with a hard, white paper towel (or you can use newspaper). The vinegar will “eat away” the hard water deposits.
  • This does not dry as quickly as the first glass cleaner, because there is no rubbing alcohol, so you will probably have to wipe longer to make sure there are no streaks.

Enjoy the SPARKLE!!

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter7Pin on Pinterest13,122Google+6

Comments

1. Alyssa says

Just in time for me to clean my windows tomorrow! Thanks! I’m doing the inside tomorrow and using your outside formula on Saturday so my hubby can do the upstairs windows. I don’t think I’ve ever been so excited to clean windows before!

2. Kae says

Looks interesting but I think I’ll stick with my recipe for glass cleaner. It includes 1/2 cup white vinegar, 1/2 cup rubbing alcohol, 4 cups warm water and 2 tablespoons corn starch. It requires shaking the bottle before each use and periodically when using for large jobs, i.e. window. It is an amazing window and mirror cleaner. I’ve shared this recipe with family and friends and they love it.

3. Rachel says

I make a homemade all purpose cleaner that works great on glass too. Pour 8 oz of rubbing alcohol and a tablespoon of Dawn in a 32 oz bottle, then slowly fill the rest of the bottle up w water. I like to use the wintergreen alcohol. It gives it a clean, minty smell.

Great idea!

I tend to use my magic eraser on my mirrors and windows inside, then dry with a dish towel (NO fabric softener!). They shine and sparkle with no extra rubbing.

I think your cleaner sounds like it would be a good all-purpose cleaner too. Thanks for the new idea! I always count on you for great ideas!

5. Kim says

This is exactly the recipe I use and love it. I have to share a funny story though. I had made my own glass cleaner for years and for some reason some years back I stopped doing it. Then a couple months ago I decided to start making my own again. When the bottle of Windex ran out in the boys’ bathroom I refilled it with home made, with the recipe written on the bottle for easy concocting next time. My 16 year old son, who is in charge of cleaning the bathroom, comes to my husband and I, who were enjoying coffee on the front porch, with the bottle in hand asking (in a very skeptical manner) “What IS this?” I told him it was Windex. “It doesn’t LOOK like Windex, it’s the wrong color”…and then proceeds to read the recipe on the side of the bottle. I assured him that those were the exactly ingredients that make up Windex and it would be fine. “Well, it better clean as well as Windex does…. ”
    Haha– you would have thought I had filled their Cheerios Box with generic brand or added cauliflower to the mashed potatoes. It was so funny to see him get so uppity about me messing with his Windex.

6. Chris Schwartz says

I have used the alcohol, ammonia, dish detergent formula window cleaner for nearly 40 years. I got the recipe from a radio station’s homemaker’s program in Shenandoah, Iowa as a new bride. I’ve used it all these years to clean many things and windows, too. Do not use it on aluminum, however. It will discolor it.

7. Barbara Lyon says

Here is a wonderful window cleaner that is so easy that you can make it each time you clean. My mom found this all natural formula in a magazine 40years ago and we have used it every since. Just use a quart of water and 1 tblsp cornstarch in a bowl. Swish your cloth in this solution and wipe the window or mirror. Polish with a dry cloth or crumpled newspapers. Works like a dream.