{2} Simple Glass Cleaners For Sparkling Windows and Mirrors!

homemade glass cleanerAs odd as it may seen, I have never done a post on homemade glass cleaner before. However, I have addressed cleaning windows and mirrors quite a few times.

Here are a couple “blasts from the past”:

These techniques and formulas have done a great job, but I’ve always thought I was missing something…and then it came to me…grease-cutting action! I don’t know about you….but we get plenty of greasy fingerprints on our mirrors and windows (and other shine-able surfaces!).

So I decided to make up a big bottle of this recipe I found on Margarets Cleaning website.

She uses this glass cleaner in her cleaning service to save money and to remove greasy fingerprints with just a swipe!

Since we just got finished having tile installed in our kitchen and EVERYTHING is covered in dust and filth….this big bottle is going to come in handy!

Ingredients

• Empty gallon jug (I used one of my favorite re-purposing containers…a Minute Maid OJ jug).
  • 1/2 cup ammonia
  • 16 oz. rubbing alcohol
  • 1 teaspoon blue Dawn dish detergent

homemade glass cleaner

• Fill the empty gallon jug 1/2 full of water. Add the above ingredients, adding the Dawn last, so it doesn’t lather too much when pouring in the other ingredients.
  • After adding the ingredients, finish filling the jug with water until it’s full.
  • Gently shake jug to thoroughly mix ingredients, then pour some into a spray bottle.

homemade glass cleaner homemade glass cleaner

For its first test I handed it a doozie!  THIS bathroom mirror. I’m not saying whose bathroom this IS….let’s just say it’s NOT MINE! :-)

homemade glass cleaner

I was thrilled to discover that Margaret’s homemade glass cleaner made short work of the grimy bathroom mirror. It really wasn’t even a CHALLENGE for this cleaner formula. It EASILY cut through the grease and grime and made the mirror SHINE in no time flat!

============

If you’re looking for an all natural glass cleaning formula…Margaret’s got that too! And the beauty of this formulation is its effectiveness at removing stubborn water spots from glass doors….such as the shower or patio doors!

All Natural Glass Cleaner

• Simply mix equal amounts of white vinegar with water.
  • If you have stubborn water spots….spray on, leave on a few minutes, and wipe with a hard, white paper towel (or you can use newspaper). The vinegar will “eat away” the hard water deposits.
  • This does not dry as quickly as the first glass cleaner, because there is no rubbing alcohol, so you will probably have to wipe longer to make sure there are no streaks.

enjoy the

*S*P*A*R*K*L*E*!

Facebook201Twitter7Pinterest12600Google+5

Comments

1. Alyssa says

Just in time for me to clean my windows tomorrow! Thanks! I’m doing the inside tomorrow and using your outside formula on Saturday so my hubby can do the upstairs windows. I don’t think I’ve ever been so excited to clean windows before!

2. Kae says

Looks interesting but I think I’ll stick with my recipe for glass cleaner. It includes 1/2 cup white vinegar, 1/2 cup rubbing alcohol, 4 cups warm water and 2 tablespoons corn starch. It requires shaking the bottle before each use and periodically when using for large jobs, i.e. window. It is an amazing window and mirror cleaner. I’ve shared this recipe with family and friends and they love it.

3. Rachel says

I make a homemade all purpose cleaner that works great on glass too. Pour 8 oz of rubbing alcohol and a tablespoon of Dawn in a 32 oz bottle, then slowly fill the rest of the bottle up w water. I like to use the wintergreen alcohol. It gives it a clean, minty smell.

Great idea!

I tend to use my magic eraser on my mirrors and windows inside, then dry with a dish towel (NO fabric softener!). They shine and sparkle with no extra rubbing.

I think your cleaner sounds like it would be a good all-purpose cleaner too. Thanks for the new idea! I always count on you for great ideas!

5. Kim says

This is exactly the recipe I use and love it. I have to share a funny story though. I had made my own glass cleaner for years and for some reason some years back I stopped doing it. Then a couple months ago I decided to start making my own again. When the bottle of Windex ran out in the boys’ bathroom I refilled it with home made, with the recipe written on the bottle for easy concocting next time. My 16 year old son, who is in charge of cleaning the bathroom, comes to my husband and I, who were enjoying coffee on the front porch, with the bottle in hand asking (in a very skeptical manner) “What IS this?” I told him it was Windex. “It doesn’t LOOK like Windex, it’s the wrong color”…and then proceeds to read the recipe on the side of the bottle. I assured him that those were the exactly ingredients that make up Windex and it would be fine. “Well, it better clean as well as Windex does…. ”
    Haha– you would have thought I had filled their Cheerios Box with generic brand or added cauliflower to the mashed potatoes. It was so funny to see him get so uppity about me messing with his Windex.

6. Chris Schwartz says

I have used the alcohol, ammonia, dish detergent formula window cleaner for nearly 40 years. I got the recipe from a radio station’s homemaker’s program in Shenandoah, Iowa as a new bride. I’ve used it all these years to clean many things and windows, too. Do not use it on aluminum, however. It will discolor it.

7. Barbara Lyon says

Here is a wonderful window cleaner that is so easy that you can make it each time you clean. My mom found this all natural formula in a magazine 40years ago and we have used it every since. Just use a quart of water and 1 tblsp cornstarch in a bowl. Swish your cloth in this solution and wipe the window or mirror. Polish with a dry cloth or crumpled newspapers. Works like a dream.

8. Lyndsay says

You are the single reason why pretty much every time I am in Wal Mart I have to buy another spray bottle! You would think one of these days I would just buy a bunch and keep them for recipes like this!

9. Kadee Gray says

I’m not sure why, but I seem to be really drawn to the posts & pins that are homemade cleaning solutions … I totally feel like a Monica Gellar right now :) Thanks for sharing, I’ll have to try this one out!

10. Diana says

I use vinegar and water (1:1) for everything including windows. It works great. I tried your recipe for shout but I couldn’t handle the smell of amonia. I am so sensitive to cleaner smells. Thought (although I don’t have anymore spray bottles) can you add alcohol to the vinegar/water mix to get it to dry faster?

11. Michele says

Something else that works really well on mirrors and windows is Club Soda. When I first open a bottle or can of club soda and it’s fizzy I use it to remove stains on carpet or clothing, when it has gone flat I pour it into a spray bottle for windows and mirrors. Works great without streaking and it’s really cheap!

I just use my trusty bottle of 4:1 vinegar solution, the one I use for cleaning counters and such. Cleans great, no water spots, and works fine with newspaper or microfiber or even just a regular washcloth. (If the washcloth leaves lint, I just wait until it’s dry and use the same cloth over it again. Only have to do that about 1 time in 5.)

13. crazywoman says

As one poster above said, don’t use the ammonia cleaner on aluminum. Also don’t use it on plastic or poly carb windows! It will dull them, and you can’t get them clear again (it etches them). Make sure the windows & mirrors are glass!

14. Autumn says

I’ve been using the ammonia/alcohol/blue dawn for glass cleaner for awhile but I also use it in my “clorox” wipes. I just put a bunch of cheapy washcloths in a little container and pour it over them. WOW do they work for everything from toilets to wiping off that greasy sludge that builds up on top of cabinets and stuff in the kitchen. My dogs are messy eaters, I use the spray bottle and one of the wipes to clean up the floor…it’s SO clean! I’ve been known (during my OCD cleaning sprees) to take my container and get on my hands and knees and do the whole kitchen floor. My daughter hates them because of the ammonia smell so maybe I’ll try some lemon in it or something.

Jillee you are AMAZING!! I can’t wait to see your “One Good Thing” every morning! I’ve cut soooo many corners using the things I’ve learned from you!

• Randa Slater says

Agreed w/using the glass cleaner as “clorox” wipes. I had made Jill’s wipe formula (my favorite homemade product) first, then a month or so later I made the glass cleaner. Still being new to homemade cleaners/what works with what/how, etc it took me a while to realize they are the same recipe in different amounts.

The water and vinegar mixture also works great on soap scum in the shower. just spray the area down with vinegar and water. than on on a damp towel put some baking soda. you rub that all around. than spray down with the water vinegar mixture again and wipe with a clean cloth.

while your trigger finger may be a bit more tired from the spraying there is almost no elbow grease required.

16. Bridgette says

Okay, Personally I LOVE your cleaners, however my husband HATES the smell of Vinegar. Did I mention that he HATES vinegar? Do you have any suggestions what else i can use that works as amazing as my favorite go to cleaner?

Nice post, but as my home was also affected by molds and when i consulted one of the experts. He told me about all the threats involved in cleaningg a mold affected area. Later when i followed his instructions i unterstood that he was right as not only they restored back my home in few days but also at the end of the me and my family members were healthy.

18. Annmarie says

Finally got around to making this yesterday. I HATE cleaning windows because no matter what I’ve done or used I’m still left with streaks. OMG! was all I kept saying as I was spraying this solution on mirrors, glass shower walls, windows… just about anything else! Thank you for this recipe! Best part about it is that as the sun set last night and rose this a.m. there were no streaks on my windows. And believe me, I looked!

19. Rhonda says

I have used the second one for a while now, only I add equal amounts of water, vinegar and alcohol. It cleans and dries beautifully. I also use this to clean my laminate floors and appliances. It keeps everything clean, shiny and dries fast!

20. Kathy says

What do you use to wipe the Windows? Just a regular washcloth, paper towel, micro fiber cloth? I clean houses, and am excited to try this cleaner not only on Windows but on glass shower doors with soap scrum!!
    I am spacious to read this blog!!

Thanks for the homemade cleaner recipe. I love to see enviro-recipes that work. I personally don’t use any cleaner at all – just microfiber and water. There are glass & polishing cloths made just for that purpose and they leave windows completely, 100% streak-free with no cleaners at all – just water – not even vinegar!

Kerry

22. Heather says

Has anyone tried this on dog slobber? I have three dogs. My English Springer Spaniel, in particular gets anxious if I don’t let him inside exactly when he thinks I should and he slobbers all over the glass door. Let me tell you, that stuff, over time, is impossible to get off glass with commercial cleaners. It’s like mortar or something.

23. Christine says

Oh, how happy you have made me with this “recipe.” It’s magic! I really don’t enjoy cleaning (at all!), but I LOVE things to be clean. I so appreciate you, Jillee, and ALL the wonderful info on your website that makes my life easier!!!

24. Doug says

I found something called Mirror Wonder that I’ve been really happy with. It last a long time and makes the mirror easier to clean the next time. I’m pretty sure it’s mirrorwonder.com. You should give it a try.

25. KarenMO says

I am so excited! In my kitchen of 8 years, I have 5 stainless steel appliances; not the textured look, or the stainless steel look, but real, ordinary stainless steel. In these 8 years, I’ve used almost every SS cleaner on the market, and was not happy with any of them. My hubby and my grand kids, and others, think nothing of touching the appliances, with anything and everything on their hands! Every time I clean them, I remind my husband to please not touch the appliances with wet or dirty hands, but he always does!

Recently, I used a recipe from Jill’s sight, that combined pine sol and water, and was not very happy with it. I also previously used another recipe from this site using borax and some other things, which made a paste, and also made a MESS as it crumbled onto the floor! Today, out of desperation, I used the glass window cleaner listed above with a microfiber cloth, and my appliances look perfect. And the other great thing is that it was quick! So, now when smudges and water marks appear, I can whisk it off in a jiffy! I feel so relieved to have found something that actually works, is inexpensive, quick and easy! Try it–you’ll like it!