A Quick Fix For Oily Hair . . . “Dry Clean” It!

hair-degreaser-1.22.13This post is brought to you by Amazon where you can get deals on household supplies!

This stuff saved my life this week!

Well, OK…maybe that’s a BIT of an exaggeration…but not much! Let’s just say I had a HAIR EMERGENCY on Tuesday and was VERY GRATEFUL I had recently seen this idea by Danielle on Hookable Designs.

The funny thing is…I hadn’t originally intended on doing a post on this only because my hair is SO dry that I would never have the need to de-grease my hair. Well…that’ll teach me to NEVER say NEVER!

Here is my sad story…with a happy ending! (I just LOVE a happy ending! If I hear a movie has a sad ending…I won’t go. Unfortunately that rules out a LOT of movies!)

Anyway…back to my sad…then happy…story. On Tuesday I had a photo shoot scheduled with a wonderful photographer by the name of Stephanie Neal. (I have to brag on her for one second! She was just named Best Family Photographer by Salt Lake Magazine in their annual “Best of the Beehive” issue. Check her out!)

Sorry…having difficulty keeping on track today!

So…I needed some professional “head shots” for some upcoming stuff and finally decided to bite the bullet and make an appointment. No reflection on Stephanie…or photographers in general for that matter…but having my picture taken is one of my LEAST favorite things to do! I am completely neurotic about it. So I was WAY stressed as the “big day” approached.

That morning I allowed myself plenty of time to get myself ready and went all-out in my primping session. I had even purchased a new product called Moroccan argan oil that someone had emailed me about after my post about Coconut Oil Deep Conditioner. It’s a spray that you put on after you wash your hair, and before you blow dry, that is supposed to give your hair a “smooth, glossy shine”. Well, being the original “if SOME is good…MORE must be better” girl…I pretty much saturated my hair with it. After blow drying my hair for about 5 minutes…I began to sense that something had gone terribly wrong. My hair wasn’t getting “dry”! No matter how long I kept blowing hot air on it…it stilled looked wet…and stringy….and oily!!

As I stood there staring at the disaster in the mirror, trying to suppress the rising panic I was feeling, all of a sudden the post about “Dry Shampoo” popped into my head!

I quickly located the recipe in my bookmarks and was thrilled to see I had all the ingredients on hand. All TWO ingredients (3 if you’re counting the WATER…which I’m not.) I quickly threw the stuff together and even snapped a few pictures of the process! (You can take the girl out of her blog…but you can’t take the blog out of the girl…..or something like that.)

hair degreaserI call it my:

Oily Hair “Dry Cleaner”

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon of cornstarch
4 tablespoons of water
1 tablespoon of rubbing alcohol

Mix together, pour into a spray bottle and give it a shake!
Now, spray anywhere on your head or hair that needs to be de-greased.

NOTE TO PEOPLE WHO TEND TO OVERDO THINGS (LIKE ME!): You do not need to drench your hair and/or scalp, just dampen it. Got it.

Run a comb or your fingers through your hair to distribute the “dry cleaner” evenly, then hit it with the blow-dryer. Repeat if necessary. Which it was….so I did.

hair degreaser

But after a few blasts of this stuff and my trusty hair dryer, the OILY MESS was gone and my hair was completely DRY! I was able to finish styling my hair and I was only like THREE minutes late to my appointment. MIRACULOUS!  (Now…if only the pictures turn out as well as the end of this story!)

Chances are I won’t ever find myself needing this particular product again (DRY hair syndrome!)  But hopefully I’ve learned at least one thing…..

NEVER say NEVER!  :-)

This post is brought to you by Amazon:

Facebook625Twitter22Pinterest412115Google+5

Comments

1. Amanda says

Thanks for the tip! I get pretty bad ear infections frequently and whenever it happens I have to LIVE with dry shampoo since the moisture from washing my hair makes my ears hurt more. I’ll be trying this soon!

• Tina says

That is a great suggestion Marnie! I used to suffer from frequent ear infections as a kid, and the water from showers was soooo painful! I would recommend Amanda use the Mac’s Earplugs to completely cover the ear canal, or talk to your doctor about customer ear plugs. I had a set, and I had to wear them swimming or when I showered. They really were worth it.

• Vanessa says

I had a nasty ear infection with a ruptured ear drum, and I used a cotton ball with vaseline to plug my whole ear canal while I showered.. Works so well! The warm water feels good on the outside, but your ear is totally sealed so no water gets in. Just a tip for future reference!

• Ginger says

I used to have problems with water in my ears, and still do. My childhood doctor called it “swimmers ear.” As an adult I went to an Ear, Nose, Throat doctor about it.

He was kind of an old fashioned small town doc. After the issue I was having was cleared up, he gave me two things to do to prevent problems. AND THEY REALLY WORK!
      1. Put a few drops of rubbing alcohol in your ear after a bath/shower/swimming. As long as the skin inside the ear is not broken it does not hurt. And even when my ears are irritated the worst I feel is warmth – some would call minor burning – that lasts only a few seconds.
      2. Ear plugs, especially in the shower/bath. He suggested two types. The first was Vaseline on a cotton ball. Works like a champ, inexpensive, and easy! The second was a silicone plug – often seen for noise reduction. These are malleable and can be fitted to the ear perfectly and easily. You can find these at any drug store in packs of 6 or 8 fairly inexpensively. They can be used in the shower or the pool and work great!

Just had to add my two cents…

• Dorothy says

Check with an EAR SPECIALIST before using alcohol in your ears. When my mother last saw her audiologist, we asked specifically about using alcohol in her ears (Mom’s sister had told her that the Dr. she sees told her to do that too.), they said absolutely not! Since alcohol is a drying agent, it dries out the lining of the ear canal and the ear drum, as well, causing cracks in the thin membranes; this lets in bacterial and leads to infections, as well as other problems with the ear drum. Sorry, I don’t mean to sound critical; just wanted to pass along the info.

• Silly says

Silly Putty. Not kidding. I’m a water lover, and after terrible ear infections as a child and 7 sets of tubes – they are the only ear plugs that work and won’t let in a drop of water.

2. WendyB says

Oh awesome!! I’m not a full-fledged no ‘poo girl, but I try not to shampoo my hair more than twice a week. This summer’s heat is making that hard to do. I think I’m going to go mix some of this up right now and see how it works. Maybe I won’t have to shampoo today like I had planned. Thanks for the recipe!

3. Bobbie Conrad says

Thanks Jillee! I have to wash my hair daily to avoid the oily head look! Add in fine hair and you get the picture! Maybe now I can wash my hair at night instead of every morning :)

4. Karen Moret Harrison says

Once for Halloween, I decided to dress up like a man. I slicked my hair back with a product I found in the African-American section. It was called bergamot oil. Anyway, when I got home I tried to wash it out. No go. I tried shampoo again, still oily. I went ahead to bed, and decided to try again in the morning.

At my wit’s end, I tried Dawn dishing washing liquid. Still oily and stringy. I called my hairdresser, and he recommended I try Tide (without bleach). I tried it, and it worked, but my hair felt like straw. I bought some Aussie 3 Minute Miracle, and left it on for waaay more than 3 minutes! I finally had my hair back!

I am a no poo girl and have struggled this summer, like Wendy B, so this was a big help.

At the risk of sounding like the dad on “My Big Fat Greek Wedding”, my favorite DIY glass cleaner – I think I found it on Crunchy Betty, has close to the same ingredients so I gave it a try. It worked great!

1/4 C white vinegar
    1/4 C rubbing alcohol
    1 tbsp corn starch
    2 C water

I do have to shake the mix before I use it each time.

I’ve always used a cornstarch and water mixture to clean the windows (on the very rare occasions that I do so ;-) ). It’s something my mom always did, and probably something her mom always did. It works spectacularly. I’m intrigued by the addition of vinegar and rubbing alcohol. I’ll have to give that a try next time and see how it compares.

• Ginger says

Best glass cleaner EVER!

White vinegar
      Crumpled newspaper

Cleans the worst stuff off your glass and hard surfaces! Leaves absolutely no streaks!
      I learned it as a child cleaning the windows of my grandfather’s 40 foot yacht.

• Ushi says

Lisa, thank you so much for adding your variation! I have been in a neck brace for 6 weeks and I have very thick hair long hair. Needless to say, washing it isn’t easy and I have been reading about No ‘poo to try while I recover. I am going to try your version tonight.

Jillee, your blog is amazing and so helpful and informative. I have so many things pinned and bookmarked that I want to try. Your homemade icepack was a lifesaver for me this past December. Thank you for sharing!

• Ginger says

I have dark hair and found the cocoa unnecessary. I have tried it both ways and prefer it without the cocoa. If you mix it properly and shake the bottle well before using, it isn’t that heavy an applicarion…

6. christina says

I too am curious to know if anyone has tried this without using a hairdryer. I’d love to know if it turned out as it would be wonderful to have on hand when doing primitive camping.

It’s basically liquid corn starch. Once the alcohol and water have evaporated, you’re left with corn starch in your hair. The alcohol and water just allow you to evenly distribute it through the mist setting on a spray bottle. I didn’t use very much, I only sprayed near my scalp where it was greasy, and I didn’t use a hair dryer. Once it started drying and I saw all the white, I had to use a damp paper towel and brush it a lot to get the white out, but it did leave my soft and cleaner looking.

• Ginger says

You only dampen your hair, so no dryer is necessary. Shake the mixture REALLY well and use a light all over application and then brush it or muss it into your hair. Let it dry for a couple of minutes and then vigorously brush your hair and style. You won’t see any white from the cornstarch if you do it properly.

7. samantha says

I just tried it this morning. I have really fine oily hair so I gave this a shot and it is amazing! its only been a few hours so I dont know how long it will last but for now I am VERY amazed with this!! Thank you!

• Christine says

Argan Oil is good if you have thick, course, or curly hair (I have all three). It really does not take much, even for super thick hair like mine. Use sparingly! My hair is much healthy looking after using it. I also have a Brazillian Blowout and I use it before I blow dry; keeps the frizzies down.

• Michelle says

I have long thick hair that is harder than heck to flat iron straight…yeah it gets somewhat straight, but after an hour or so it’s all frizzy. I saw a commercial for Garnier sleek & smooth Argan oil mist so I decided to give it a try. You spritz it on sections of your hair right before you pass the flat iron over it and Voila! straight hair!!! It usually lasts for 48 hours, which is when I rewash my hair. Best of all, it doesn’t leave my hair oily or greasy looking…just shiny & healthy!

• Cheri says

I have wavy, fine-medium hair that I generally have to wash every day (unless I get lucky with some dry shampoo and my pillow is nice to my hair) and I use it every day on wet hair. I use the Organix brand and use less than a dime-size amount on my long hair that goes just past my bra strap. I don’t put it anywhere near my roots though. I don’t like to cut my hair, (especially when I’m growing it out like now, I probably going on a year) so this really helps smooth it out. I also like it for the couple days a week I may use a flat iron…I feel that if I layer enough product on my hair, it will definitely be protected from the heat :)

• Lisa says

I use Organix Argan oil after every shower and I LOVE it. Makes my hair super soft and minimizes damage from heat styling tools over time. It takes only a teeny tiny bit for long thick hair like mine; about a dime-sized amount. Apply it while your hair is still wet, working from the ends up so your scalp doesnt look greasy. Hope that helps =)

• Ginger says

I have baby fine and thinning hair. I use Argan oil before blow drying – like a leave in conditioner. It leaves my hair shiny with a thicker feel and a little more weight. Leaves just like when I was a young woman, lol!

Oh! I use it sparingly – a little less than a dime sized amount for my shoulder length hair.

OMG I LOVE THIS.. IT WORKS, IM SO THRILLED !!!! I am hitting that time of life when EVERYTHING is changing and I do mean EVERYTHING, and my hair was driving me crazy, I do NOT want to wash it twice a day. THIS is saving my HEAD !! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!

9. Kayleigh says

This sounds like a great fix when you’re in a pinch, but rubbing alcohol is bad for the hair… I wouldn’t recommend this for frequent use. I’ve always read on beauty blogs to look for products without alcohol or with certain types of alcohol because it dries your hair out. Even though hair might be oily and alcohol would help with that aspect, it would also do some damage. See here: http://www.makeuptalk.com/t/96109/your-hair-good-vs-bad-alcohol

• Ginger says

This is an extremely small amount of alcohol and is primarily for expediting the water evaporation. The major component for fixing the oily hair is the cornstarch.

Quoted from the article you shared:
      “SD Alcohol 40, Ethanol, SD Alcohol, Propyl, Porpanol, Isopropyl. These are the alcohol types mostly found in styling and finishing aids. They help the product evaporate quickly. They can most of the time be associated with dry and frizzy hair.

Even though they aren’t the best for the hair, they do serve a specific purpose; if a shine spray or a hair spray did not contain one of these forms of alcohol, it would be impossible to spray the product out of the nozzle. I think caution should be used in the sense that we dont over-use these types of products.”

10. Heather says

Great tip, I could use this camping or for my “third day hair”. But maybe next time you probably don’t need to add stories about the photographer or what you were doing that day. Just say you had a photo shoot that day, cause then it just keeps lagging on and i just skipped the whole thing to the ingredients.

11. Steph F says

I tried this one, but I wasn’t super thrilled with it. The water+starch combination made my hair a bit stiff. Made sense after I thought about it – I use liquid starch when ironing, don’t I? I tried it with baby powder alone. No water or alcohol – just sprinkled it where I needed it, and then brushed it out. Much better results, and the smell was better too.

• Vane says

I started using baby powder in my hair last week. I have really oily hair and usually have to wash it daily. Well now that I’m a little older….27…my hair is only at the roots and dry at the ends. I looked around and found the baby powder directly at your roots and comb through. I do it just before bed and wake up with great hair. I’m going on three days today!! And already after a week I can see a difference on my ends!!

12. zeldafitz says

just to be sure everyone knows…this isn’t something that helps when you are trying to shampoo less often for the sake of your hair. i know that jill certainly didn’t present it that way, but some of the comments lead me to believe that people are trying to not shampoo as much and this will help them keep their hair from looking greasy in the meantime. THIS HAS ALCOHOL IN IT. duh. it’s going to dry your hair out more than regular shampoo would. good dry shampoos don’t “soak up” the natural oils from your hair, they just cover them up and “refresh” your hair. if you are looking for a fix for greasy looking hair while you’re purposely shampooing less often, look elsewhere.

13. Kristen says

My question is how does this actually feel after using it…? My hair is on a 12-24 hour grease/oil cycle and can sometimes look completely disgusting after I shower at night and wake up in the morning. I’ve tried other dry shampoos (baby powder doesn’t cut it, plus I have super dark brown almost black hair) and while they made my hair look less greasy, my scalp/hair still felt like everything was greasy but yet not…? if you know what I’m trying to say?

I tried it this morning, didn’t use very much, and my hair feels really soft. Read my whole comment below for more on my experience, but I wouldn’t recommend it for people with dark hair. It’s basically liquid corn starch. Once the liquid had evaporated, you’re left with white corn starch in your hair.

14. Rita says

I have not tried this yet, but after reading all the comments, I am sold! I’m so excited, being that I have some acne & very oily skin. I have been using ProActiv on & off for 3 years and it has not done much for the price. I can not wait to see results. I’m off to the grocery store right now & hope to get similar results! :)

I tried it this morning after seeing a link to this blog on Pintrest. I was pleased with the results, but there are definitely some drawbacks. It’s basically liquid corn starch and corn starch is white. Once the the alcohol and water have evaporated, you’re left with corn starch in your hair. The alcohol and water just allow you to evenly distribute it through the mist setting on a spray bottle. I didn’t use very much, I only sprayed near my scalp where it was greasy, and I didn’t use a hair dryer. My hair is pretty blond, but this left it almost white in the front (framing my face) where I applied the most. I used my hair brush to distribute it even more, and it left white corn starch all in my brush. I washed my brush, took a damp washcloth to my face and the visible parts of my hair to lessen the white even more, and then brushed my hair again and it looked much better… On a side note I also added a little more water to solution than the recipe called for. All in all it was much faster than taking a shower and doing my hair again, but I only plan to use this for quick errands. For example, I’ll use this if I want to run to Starbucks first thing in the morning, but don’t plan to shower or get ready til later. I wouldn’t recommend this recipe for people with dark hair.

• Ginger says

I think you sprayed on too much in a single application. I have very dark hair and have no issues with the white cornstarch either in my hair, on my scalp, or on my brush.

Alcohol is added to dry the water faster. Water disperses the cornstarch.
      Shake the mixture REALLY well before spraying. Spray 7 or more inches from your hair in an all over fashion. Avoid the ends of your hair if you want. Muss it into your hair with your fingers and let dry a few moments before brushing.

If you spray too close to your head or over wet an area, you can expect the white powdery look.

16. Cynthia says

I have oily hair and even if washed at night, when I get up in the morning it needs to be washed again. I have tried several commercial products and none of them work as well as this. It is like a miracle to me. I doesn’t leave my hair feeing stiff or coated and gives me back body and smoothness. The one different thing I did to the recipe was add a teaspoon of my favorite body spray so it would smell nice. This is the absolute best thing I have ever tried.

• Rhonni says

It’s not good if you used it very often. Jillee posted this as an emergency fix…not as a replacement for washing your hair on a regular basis. Once in a great while isn’t going to hurt it.

17. Jess says

I agree with you, Jerry. I am going to see how it works without the alcohol. Good idea about the body spray too, Cynthia! I was worried my co-workers would think I was drunk or hungover! lol I did manage to get white spots all over everything. My shirt, my face, my wall, my brush… Overall I like it! It gets the job done.

18. m2w says

I’m going to second (third, fourth…) that you should not put rubbing alcohol on your hair, unless you want it ruined.

Here’s something even simpler, that I can say works from personal experience without leaving white gunk in your hair: Just sprinkle the cornstarch straight onto your scalp. Sprinkle, not saturate. Leave it for a few minutes so it can soak up the oil, and then COMB IT OUT. Don’t leave it in.

Awesome! I often take baby powder and put it on a large flat brush and brush it through my hair. No more greasy look! It’s awesome! This is great because it doesn’t put the rubbing alcohol in your hair.

• mable says

I have been using baby powder for several years now and it works great! Just sprinkle it on and comb or brush through. You can even do this with dark colored hair, since the powder absorbs the oil and after a minute or two you will not see the powder.

• laura says

I also use baby powder on my hair … love it! I only wash my hair when it gets real gross. I have blonde hair, but I wouldn’t recommend this solution for people with dark hair, it may leave you looking gray.

Thank you for the tip! I won’t be using it super often due to the rubbing alcohol but it works fantastic! The baby powder trick doesn’t work for me but this does. I mixed a bottle up to keep under my bathroom sink for those rare days I’m in a pinch and can’t wash my hair.

21. Erin says

Thanks! My hair gets super oily between washings and I don’t always have time to do something. Baby powder works pretty well for me, but I like this idea. I’ve never bought dry shampoo because it was so expensive.

• Go greener says

P.S. If you suffer from oily hair, are you aware that its often BECAUSE you are shampooing too often and using too many products. Your scalp is trying to compensate for the damage. Never wash your hair again, just use the baking soda and water method….its the healthy way to “wash”. I havent used any shampoo in over a year and my hair has never been better.

To condition: use coconut water for a rinse out, use coconut milk (sparingly) for leave in conditioner. If you used too much coconut milk, use the bakingsoda/water to get rid of some…just spray, let sit for 30 seconds then rinse.

• Jenni says

Don’t you know what they say when you assume things?

When I was younger, I would only wash my hair twice a week: Sunday and Wednesday nights, or once a week during the summer. I hated washing my hair because it would look wonderful for about 6 hours and then it looked like I poured oil all over my head, so I washed my hair as infrequently as possible, so I could avoid being reminded of what my hair *could* look like.

I tried everything–shampoos for oily hair, for dry hair, for normal hair, shampoo with mint/eucalyptus/tea tree oil, shampoos with oils, 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner followed by conditioner, putting conditioner on my roots and not on my roots, “cleansing conditioners” (like wen), natural soaps, baking soda, cornstarch, shampooing once a week, twice a week, every other day, every day, twice a day–and nothing really helped. Cornstarch made my hair look dull and greyish (and it took forever to apply everywhere), conditioning products on my roots/scalp made the oiliness worse, drying shampoos left my hair feeling like straw…

So do you wanna know what finally worked the best? Every morning I use Garnier Fructis “Pure Clean” paired with Dove’s daily treatment conditioner (the gold one). When I want the oiliness to stay away longer, I wash with John Frieda’s “root awakening” with eucalyptus for normal hair. Once a week I put the conditioner on my roots down to the tips (otherwise just the mid-shaft to the tips) and follow with a leave-in conditioner on my tips. No matter how long I tried to not wash my hair (my longest record was just over one month during the summer, when I sprained my ankle badly and had trouble showering longer than 5 minutes), the oiliness never got any better, because guess what? I’m naturally terribly oily!!! My face is the same way. I’ve been this way since I was a little kid! My mom had the same issue too, she only got less oily after hitting menopause, so at least I know it’ll get better….someday.

THE ONLY WAY to keep it under control is to wash it daily, because otherwise the oils WILL build up. My hair now looks wonderful throughout the day. I wait to wash it until 1-2 hours before I leave my house, and my roots look wonderful for about 6-9 hours, and if I clip some of my hair back it looks good for a full 12-16 hour day. And guess what? I’ve had tons of positive comments when I get my hair cut, telling me how nice my hair is, and how good I must treat it. I’ve never been told that my hair looks damaged or stripped or anything but perfectly healthy.

So instead of assuming that EVERYONE with intensely oily hair is damaging their hair and bringing it upon themselves, try considering that maybe, juuust maybe, they just have oily hair!

22. Gretchen says

Thank you so much for blogging this! I tried it out of desperation tonight. Worked great! I actually made up two bottles worth– one for home and one for my locker at work. Thank you so much for your amazing concoctions Jillie. You are a blessing!

23. Sharon says

Can you use this concoction on highlighted hair or color-treated hair? I use a dry shampoo from Target and love it, but if I can make my own as you suggested, then I have it made in the shade! Please let me know Thank you! :-)

I read your blog and about a week later I had a similar issue, but I knew what to do! It works like a charm. I even blogged about the pin on my blog, and I linked it back to you so they could get the full scoop. Thanks for the tip!

25. Cassie says

This has to be my favorite blog *ever*!! I’m a “more must be better” girl, too, so I totally could relate to what you’d done. I will tuck this little recipe away for future use! Thanks for the tip!

26. Jenna says

I have extremely oily hair. In my twenties my hair was fine, curly and dry as hay. I couldn’t put enough conditioner on my hair (and what they had for frizzy hair wasn’t as good as it is now). I always hated, hated, HATED having dry hair. After having my two children, my hair changed. It went from curly to almost straight and from dry to oily. It’s been twenty years now, but my hair is so oily that I could wash my hair several times a day. *To those who say this only strips your natural oil and that’s why its so oily….it’s been twenty years, do you think I haven’t waited days and tried a million different things? The best “shampoo” is Dawn dish washing liquid. Anyway, I have used “Psssst” which FOR ME is the best commercial dry shampoo on the market. Altho the smell kinda reminds me of the old Aqua Net. I’ve tried every other brand I could get my hands on and nothing dried my hair out and soaked up the oil better than this FOR ME. But it runs between $5 and $9 depending on where I buy it and it isn’t cost effective enough for me to justify paying this for how long it lasts for me. By the way, I am in no way affiliated with this company, just telling you my experience.

I have found another thing that works and it’s just plain cornstarch. At first I would put it in an empty baby powder container and use it that way, but a lot of it still came out. The best way for me to use it is by putting some in a cheese cloth, tying it off and pouncing it on the oily parts of my hair (which for me is EVERYWHERE). I am a blonde, and it does make your hair lighter, but the cheese cloth really helps from putting on too much.

Yes, I have been to the doctor, I haven’t found a doctor who has really cared about my excessively oily hair (I probably should’ve shown up to the doctor in an oily phase and show them how oily it is and that it was only after one day, but I don’t go out in public with super oily hair), so I just live with it. I can only assume it has to do with a hormonal change that happened after I had my children. But I always keep an eye out for ways to deal with it that might work better than what I am currently using. I will definitely give this one a try! Thanks!!!!

• Kayla says

Same experiences, except I’m a brunette. I empty mini travel-size baby powder containers (talc is supposed to be very bad for you!) and fill them with cornstarch. When needed, I simply sprinkle alittle in my palms, pat them together, toss my head upsidedown and work it in the root area well. Brush well and go! No spray bottles or mixing needed.