Make Your Own Simple Exfoliating Body Scrub

Morning Bump! Originally posted on 10/19/2011:

body scrubI had a proud “Mom Moment” last week when my daughter decided to give making her own Body Scrub a try. Believe me, I don’t take credit for that girl’s incredible intelligence (well, maybe a teeny, tiny bit), but I do like to think I’ve been an example of how easy it is and how much sense it makes to make your own products for home, health and beauty.

body scrubI’ve never been one to use body scrubs with any regularity. As a matter of fact, this was probably only the 2nd or 3rd time I’ve tried one…..EVER.  I just have never seen the sense in paying $30 (ish) for a something NICE…but not NECESSARY.  I mean a 14.1 oz jar of this L’Occitane Verbena Body Salt Scrub retails for $36.00! You can find it for around $30 if you search around….but STILL….$30.00???  I don’t think so.  And it never occurred to me to make my own (see what I mean about my daughter’s “smarts” not coming from me!?!)

Last week we were making preparations for my son’s wedding when Britta came across the idea of making her own body scrub as a special pampering treatment before the big day.  She doesn’t remember exactly where she found the “recipe” but it was basically a mixture of coconut oil, kosher salt and lemon juice.
She LOVED the results! I decided to try my own concoction and used the same coconut oil that I bought for the Homemade Makeup Remover Wipes, some sugar in my pantry and a couple of drops of lavender essential oil.

The “RECIPE” is basically a 2-to-1 ratio of sugar to coconut oil and as many drop of essential oil as you like.  I used about 3 or 4 drops.

Put the amount of sugar you want in a jar or bowl, add 1/2 that amount of coconut oil that you have warmed up in the microwave for a few seconds to make it liquid and the lavender drops, and stir.

You should end up with something looking like this. A sugary, paste.

body scrubWow! I’m not sure if it was the scrub itself or the fact that it basically cost me nothing to make (I already had all the stuff on hand so it’s TECHNICALLY true), but it was one of the most amazing things I’ve ever tried! My skin was so smooth and soft afterwards…without being greasy. I couldn’t believe the difference in my skin after just ONE treatment. I’m definitely going to try it again….soon.

Now that Old Man Winter is on his way…this is going to be a much-needed TREAT for my dry winter skin!

UPDATE: 10/20/2011

body scrubAfter reading Danielle’s comment below about the citrus body scrub she uses and I couldn’t help but be intrigued. (I am a citrus FANATIC!)  So after just a few minutes with my friend Google, I managed to find this and HAD to share. :-)

Lemon (Or Lime) Sugar (Or Salt) Scrub

Ingredients:

1/2 cup sugar or 1/2 cup salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Directions:

1  Mix all ingredients in a small bowl.
2  Apply to hands or feet above the tub or sink, so you don’t make a mess. Scrub thoroughly for 2-3 minutes.
3  When done scrubbing, rinse briefly with lukewarm water and pat dry.
4  Apply your favorite moisturizer if desired.

Share on Facebook344Tweet about this on Twitter13Pin on Pinterest21,002Google+7

Comments

1. Jane says

I am so happy I ran across this site!! I actually got up from my computer and made this scrub with the sugar and olive oil and lemon juice, amazing results!!! you are such smart people out there, my hats off to you! thanks so much!!

2. NeeNee says

does it matter which to use salt or sugar? is there a difference in them for the use of the scrub that is?

The only real difference is that if you’re going to be using it above or near your bikini area, or are otherwise prone to fungal infections anywhere (like athlete’s foot!) you do NOT want to use sugar. Even the smallest amount can cause a yeast infection for some people, topically or internally, if it doesn’t get washed off.

Hello, I just wanted to add that virgin coconut oil is anti bacterial as well as anti fungal … so you can use it on those sensitive areas just maybe with a very fine salt rather than sugar. Also, I saw that someone microwaved the coconut oil and that is a bad idea as the microwave destroys the good in the virgin coconut oil. I have been one week now using coconut oil for everything from a facial scrub with brown sugar, brushing my teeth with vco and baking soda (wow what a difference that has made in my teeth!, commercial toothpaste is nasty stuff and as a side note … they use flouirde in rat poision). I also use vco as my only all over moisturizer …all I can tell you is that I am thrilled! We now only use vco as our only cooking oil as well!! It is amazing!!! I also use it on my pets noses and feed them a spoon every other day as there are so many health benefits to not just people but cats and dogs too! Thank you Wendy :)

• Aleigha says

I really have to find something like the VCO and baking soda for sensitive teeth, know anything that can help?

You could use clove essential oil mixed into the paste to reduce sensitivity. You can refer to my website for more info if you are interested in ordering from me, as I am a distributer. Not all essential oils are safe for internal use, so be careful to not go for the synthetic cheap suff. che

• Kristina Burkey says

Where do you buy Virgin Coconut Oil? Whole Foods? Do you use the same amount of that as you would the other oils in the recipe?

• Gillian Gray Pilcher says

Trader Joe’s has it for $5.99 for a 16 oz jar. It is also organic for that price.

• Juliette says

Wendy! – Brilliant! I didn’t know about the benefits of vco but now that I am educated I plan to use it as often as possible. My kitty will be happy too :-) I’ve been aware of the dangers of commercial toothpaste and flouirde but didn’t know vco and baking soda would be such a wonderful idea. I’m so excited to make the switch. Cheers!

• June Taylor says

Here’s my recipe for the Best Toothpaste you will ever make:
        3 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
        4 Tablespoons of Baking Soda
        1 teaspoon of Vegetable Glycerin (optional)
        1-2 teaspoons of Xylitol (in granulated form)
        10-30 drops of any of these Flavor Oils (recommend LorAnn):
        Peppermint, Spearmint, Cinnamon, Clove, Anise, any Fruit flavor. Even Cappuccino, Caramel, Chocolate… :)
        Mix up everything and put in a small clean jar that has a lid.
        Absolutely wonderful in cleaning your teeth, and the Xylitol has been shown to help prevent tooth decay. This toothpaste is not only all natural, but completely edible as well. Try it! You’ll love it, I promise.

• Lucy says

Coconut oil is really high in saturated fat so it may not be the best thing to user for cooking but the facial scrub with brown sugar sounds amazing.

• MollyB says

That article does not cite a single scientific study.

Just because it’s in print doesn’t mean it fact.

I’d use a trusted source like emedicine or WebMD to get my facts.

Always consider the source!

3. michelle says

The difference between sugar and salt in the scrub is that one is a more jagged, irregular shaped crystal than the other. The shape of salt crystals is a six-sided cube similar to a dice. Sugar crystals on the other hand resemble a hexagonal prism. The edges of sugar crystals are often more sharp. The shape of sugar crystals can be estimated from looking at a piece of rock candy, which consists of many sugar crystals grown and bonded together. Occasionally, salt and sugar will look similar under a microscope, but this is typically because of broken or bonded crystals.
    In this recipe, the salt or sugar is only a sloughing agent, it is not drying or moisturizing. The moisture comes from wetting your skin as you scrub and the coconut oil holds the moisture in when you are done. The essential oils are for scent only. Great recipe, think I will make mine with lemon oil and vanilla.

Biggest difference I find between salt and sugar scrubs is timing of application – I can’t shave my legs if I plan on using the salt scrub. YOWZA! I am out of sugar so plan to make one with salt, vanilla, coconut oil, jasmine fragrance and lemon juice.

• Danielle says

I have to disagree with just a little, the oils can do so more for you than just make it smell good. Lemon is a great oil for a lot of different things one being bacteria, that is why a lot of cleaners use lemon in their products. Wild orange oil is uplifting and can really start your day off right, which is why I like the orange “citrus” body scrub in the morning. Depending on what you are looking for in health or mood the right oil can go a long way to helping you achieve it. :-)
      Thanks for the info on the sugar versus salt, I didn’t know any of that.

• sue says

danielle–can you use any kind of lemon oil or does it have to be a specific kind? also, what kind of salt do you use–as you can see i am a very beginner in all of this. thanks for your answer–sue

• MollyB says

Great info, Michelle!

SUGAR versus SALT:

I like to use sugar because salt is drying and basically sucks the moisture out of your skin.

Maybe good for your feet? But I wouldn’t use it on the rest of my body.

• MollyB says

Note: salt is drying, but the effects of that can be potentially offset by adding other moisturizing elements into the scrub. However, I don’t know how much of a difference they make.

4. Kathy says

I love knowing about the recipes, but I have a question… Is this something that once you make it, you need to use it immediately, or can you store it in a jar or canister and use it later? And if so, how long can you store it?

• Ayshela says

My daughter makes one with brown sugar and keeps it in a mason jar. She’s made it twice and used it all before it went bad – one in a jar that didn’t seal, which dried a bit, and one which did seal which was much nicer. The main concern is using it before the oil goes rancid, so if you’re using it more than once a month you should have no problem with that.

She uses the one at bystephanielynn.com – several awesome variations there!
      She says”You want to begin by mixing 2 Cups of Brown Sugar and 1 Cup of Granulated Sugar together until there are no lumps. Add in 1 Cup of Sunflower Oil and 1 Tablespoon of Pure Vanilla Extract. {I like to use Sunflower Oil for this body scrub because it does not carry the strong scent that Olive Oil does}” Just mix and put in an airtight jar with a little scoop and wrap as a gift or use.

5. Anonymous says

I am so excited to try this ! I came across this on pinterest and can't wait to make some tonight ! Thank you for your great ideas ! :0)

6. Alexandra says

Sugar is much better. It dissolves completely and it doesn't dehydrate your skin. Be sure and use lotion after. Your skin will absorb it so much better after exfoliating. I love it for a face scrub. It's gentle and tastes good if you happen to get some in your mouth. You can never over exfoliate when using sugar! You'll see.

• Angie says

Yes, there is such a thing as over-exfoliating – even with sugar. Using a personal story as an example, I went to an oriental nail salon once and decided to treat myself to a spa pedicure, which included a sugar scrub treatment. By the time she was done, my shins looked like they had been dragged through the sand! Talk about painful. (I did read the label as she was using it, and by all appearances it was what it said it was.)

When exfoliating you don’t need to go crazy to get the benefits. Just a gentle circular motion will be fine. Too much exfoliation (or too vigorously, as was the case with my stone-ground shins) can be harmful to your skin.

Use Virgin Coconut oil as it stay good for years and years … VCO has a super long shelf life. It literally has hundreds of health benefits for your whole family! Including your pets! It really is amazing!! I am so impressed with the change it has made in my teeth! The natural whitening is truly amazing! But now that we found this oil we use no other! I even use it in place of butter! For everything!

7. Anonymous says

I had to try this since I had the ingredients on hand. Love it!! Even my husband was asking how I did it since my hands were so soft!! I have to ask what everyone else is… can it be stored? If so this is an awesome gift idea!!

Stick to Virgin Coconut Oil found in any health food store. If you can find Organic get the organic one. :) I do not think wal mart sells the real deal :) I use Nutiva brand and I found it at out local bulk store :)

• Shanada says

I bought organic vco at my WalMart, I’m not sure if they all carry it but I’ve actually found every oil that I’ve needed from these recipes at my store :)

• Valeria Jones says

If you are going to be rubbing it on your body, the Louana refined coconut oil that Walmart carries in the baking section is just fine. Also, it’s preferable if you don’t want to smell like tropical drinks afterward. My BF would disown me if I came out reeking of coconut, which makes him retch and his roommate is allergic to.

You still get the benefits of the oil on the since it still has all the same oil profile as the virgin , as far as lauric acid and other medium chain triglycerides that make it beneficial, it just doesn’t have the volatile oils that make the coconut smell.

Save the virgin for if you really want to smell like coconut and for all the yummy cooking recipes where you want the taste and smell.

• Angie says

I can find organic, virgin coconut oil in the natural foods section of my grocery store (Food Lion).

• Grandma PattyB says

I found the best prices on Amazon.com. I usually buy all my unusual items there. Shipping is free or minimal if you are a Prime member. Love my items coming 2 days after I order and zero shipping most of the time!