Quick Fix Wardrobe Tricks!

wardrobe fixesI’ve been doing a fair amount of traveling lately and it never fails that SOMETHING with my “wardrobe” will go terribly awry when I’m away from home and not able to avail myself of all my regular resources for dealing with such dilemmas.

So I’ve been collecting “quick fix” tricks to deal with those wardrobe malfunctions that always seem to attack at the most inopportune moments!

Here are some of my faves!

Flat Iron as Touch-Up Iron

No time to drag out an iron and ironing board? A straightening iron works perfectly between buttons where a regular iron doesn’t fit. And it smooths collar creases and minor wrinkles. So you can look perfectly pressed when you’re pressed for time.

Remove Static Cling With a Wire Hanger

When your skirt decides to start clinging in all the wrong places…look for a wire hanger and run the long side of it over your skirt, and between your skirt and tights or slip. No more static cling!  Mommy Dearest confiscated all the wire hangers in the vicinity? Try a quick spritz of hairspray on the areas that are bunching.

Shoelace Securer

Keep shoelaces from constantly coming undone by using a little lip balm to coat the laces where you loop and knot and they won’t budge.

Shrunken Sweater Fix

Add 1 tablespoon of baby shampoo (or hair conditioner) to 1 quart of water, then immerse a washable garment in the solution to relax the fibers. Lightly squeeze the excess water from the garment, then lay it on a flat surface. Gently stretch the item to its original shape and size. If there is a little stiffness, use a steamer or the steam from an iron to make the garment more malleable. Finally, secure the edges with heavy objects until dry.

Baby Wipes as Stain Removers

I always make sure I bring a small travel-sized container of baby wipes with me when I travel. They come in handy SO many times. Especially for white deodorant stains!

Pumice Stone as Sweater Depiller

Restore a favorite, well-worn cardigan to form by lightly running the stone across the surface to lift off any unsightly pills.

Paper Clip as Zipper Pull

Temporarily replace a broken zipper tab by threading a paper clip through the hole. A safety pin also works.

Double-Sided Tape as Hem Securer

Fix a fallen hem when there’s no time for a trip to the tailor. Also works well as a temporary fix for gaps between buttons on your blouses or jackets.

Pencil as Zipper Releaser

Unstick a stubborn zipper by rubbing the teeth on both sides with a pencil—graphite is an excellent lubricant. Other options….lip balm, or soap.

Detangle Necklaces with Baby Oil

I am constantly dealing with tangled necklaces…especially when traveling. This one has saved me more than once. Rub a few drops of baby oil into the knots and work them gently free with a straight pin.

Nail Polish Button Securer

Apply a layer of clear nail polish to the threads on top of dress-shirt buttons. The nail polish will help the threads endure the heat of laundering, keeping the buttons on the shirt longer.

Baby Powder as Oily Spot Remover

Sprinkle on to absorb oil from spots, then brush off with a white cloth. It’s also useful for hiding the residue of wine and makeup stains after you’ve used stain-removal wipes.

Bananas as Scuff Remover

Use the inside of a banana peel to erase scuffs leather shoes. Then buff them to a shine with a paper towel.

So what’s YOUR favorite quick fix for fashion emergencies?  Please share!  I can use all the help I can get! :-)

Share on Facebook154Tweet about this on Twitter19Pin on Pinterest26,999Google+1

Comments

1. Lori Sue Johnson says

I put necklace chains into a straw to keep them from tangling. Place the necklace in the straw leaving a inch or so hanging out the top. Do this for each chain. Take a twist tie and thread the bits of chain left hanging out the top to secure the chains in the straws and keep them together. No more tangled chains.

• Susan says

Or you could just cut the straw to the appropriate length so that you can clasp it as you would when wearing it.

I also keep post earrings together by using buttons.

2. Alexis says

Great tips!
    You can attach a safety pin to the bottom underside of your skirt to avoid static cling all day!

3. kim says

Wonderful tips as always! I’m going to try the lip balm on my running shoes. It always drives my batty that they don’t want to stay tied.
    For deoderant marks, all you need actually is a washcloth dampened with water. Works like a charm. But it is always a good idea to travel with some baby wipes for other spots that don’t come out as easily.

4. Kim says

I’m going to remember the shoelace trick! Untied shoes are one of my biggest wardrobe annoyances!

5. Joyce says

Rub those deodorant marks off with a piece of hosiery; works just like an eraser! I carry a knee-high stocking in my purse. Great for when I’m trying on clothes in a store, or if I don’t notice the mark before leaving home.

6. Kristen says

I have no tips :( Just wanted to give you 2 BIG thumbs up, Jillee! I love everything you post, I’ve been stalking, uh, following you on Pinterest, and I’ve learned SOOOOO much from you! You’ve literally changed my household with all of your fabulous ideas. Thanks so much! I just wish I didn’t live on the other side of the country because I’d love to come hang out with you! Lol : D

Kristen…lately I seem to be bouncing all around this great country….someday we will have to figure out how to “hang out”. :-)
      Thank you for the kind words! They mean a lot!

• Kristen says

You’re very welcome! Well, if you ever make it over to the east coast, anywhere near upstate South Carolina, you just let me know!! : D

7. Deborah Jennings says

I never travel without my small travel steamer. I bought it years ago from Walmart. Another thing is a I don’t leave home without is a Tide Pen to go. I love all the tips that you have mentioned and will add a lot of them to my list of things to always take! When we travel, we usually go on cruises. I always take a sewing kit with me, too. Threaded needles with black, white, brown, blue and red threads. A very small pair of scissors for cutting strings. (blunt pointed are best.) You can get a basic sewing kit at the Dollar store for $1 or so. Did you know that they make a tape that you can use with an iron to “hem” up your un-done hems? And they also make fabric glue. Washable! as in it won’t wash out! I take a tube of that with me, too.

8. Vickie White says

I love all the tips and will file them in my “Favorite Tips” folder for future use! THANKS!

My tip for wrinkled clothes (mostly on cotton or knit) is to just carry along a small misting or spray bottle and fill with water. While clothes are still on the hanger, just squirt the item with the water bottle (no need to saturate, just misting), then rub your hand down the item and you’ll be amazed at how the wrinkles just disappear!! Truly! I’ve been doing this for years, not just while traveling but every time I do laundry!

9. Kelly says

I can’t live without Shout wipes. I once had a bloodstain in a very obvious spot on my dress 30 minutes before an interview for a promotion at work. The Shout wipe removed it without a trace! (I also got the promotion ;)

My other favorite trick is with baby powder. When we lived in Massachusetts, going to the beach was a hike for us; riding back home with sand everywhere was… uncomfortable. Baby powder on the sandy parts and it rubs off like magic!

• PippaP says

Love the baby powder tip! We go to the beach a lot and this will really help! Thanks for sharing.

• Kristen says

Oh wow! My daughter will love you for the baby powder tip! We just got her a sand box a few weeks ago. She’s 3 1/2 and such a girlie girl :) She refuses to sit IN the sand box! Lol! She’ll sit on the ground beside it to and acts like a total diva if any sand gets on her! I love you for this tip, too… You’re sparing me from many hissy fits ;)

1. [...] Ironing in between buttons on your blouse or shirt can be a pain, which is where your hair straightener can come in handy. This trick works best if you have a flat iron that has a variety of settings. Simply switch your straightener on to the lowest setting and clamp the iron down in between the buttons. This trick also works on collars, cuffs, or any small areas that need a quick fix. [...]