How Many Cups In A Pint? A Quart? A Gallon?
Hang This Up In Your Kitchen And Never Wonder Again!

Capacity Reminder ChartOK….this is going to seem like a REALLY weird post….but I really LOVED this idea and wanted to share it! And since that’s really what “One Good Thing By Jillee” is all about (finding cool stuff and sharing it!) that’s what I’m going to do. :-)

I saw this on Pinterest recently. It’s from a website called Beyond The Grades. I’m a little embarrassed to admit that’s where this comes from….because it’s a THIRD GRADE teacher’s website. lol.  Nothing against Mrs. Rivera. Her website is amazing! I just have to laugh at the fact that this is 3rd grade stuff that I find so amazing. :-)  I apparently didn’t pay too close attention in 3rd grade.

So here is the 411 on how to remember how many cups are in a gallon, etc.

There are 2 Cups in a Pint
There are 2 Pints in a Quart
There are 4 Quarts in a Gallon

Two “C’s” fit inside a “P,” two “P’s” fit inside a “Q,” and four “Q’s” fit inside a “G.” Brilliant!

It still takes a few minutes of mental visualization, but with this diagram in mind, you can easily figure out that there are four cups in a quart, 16 cups in a gallon, and so on.

I decided to make my own version of Mrs. Rivera’s chart to print and hang in my kitchen. If you click on the link below, you can print one out too!

Capacity Reminder Chart

Capacity Reminder Chart

I hope someone else finds this as helpful as I did. :-)

Facebook486Twitter7Pinterest8741Google+15

Comments

1. Krystal says

This is brilliant! I for one am always running back to Google to try and remember how many cups are in a gallon… My husband finds it hilarious. Thank you so much for the post! Makes me feel better to know I’m not the only one!

2. Elizabeth says

I’m pregnant and because of health issues I have to drink a gallon of water per day so I recently had to figure the breakdown out. This would be helpful for me and for my 9 year old as a reminder…thanks

3. Mel says

I actually find this to be awesome! Don’t be embarassed!! I’m always running to google to figure this out and no matter how many times I look it up, I don’t seem to remember the next time. Sometimes we all need things broken down to a third grade level! Printing it now! Thanks for the post!

4. Carol Sampson says

Jillee, this is so great! I’ve already printed it out and taped it inside my cabinet. I like to surf the web for recipes and sometimes find one (usually English) that has measurments in millileters, etc. Any chance you might know of a similar chart for metric measurements?

5. Karina says

Very cool, thank you! I have a similar one tacked inside the cupboard door where baking supplies are kept. I also keep a conversion chart for measurements, one for produce, i.e. one medium apple = 1/2 C sliced apple, etc., and a substitution chart that includes little tid bits like how to make butter milk. All are kept in sheet protectors so if I spill they easily wipe clean.

6. Amanda says

Thanks for sharing this! I cook/bake a lot and I’m always yelling to my husband asking him these questions, and he never remembers either, so this will be great to have in my kitchen.

7. WendyB says

That’s a great idea! I really like how, even thought the font is really simple and easy to read, the whole chart looks very pretty and embellished. The Cs inside the Ps remind me of curly q’s. :-) I agree with Stacey. This chart, and any others like the tsp-tbsp-c chart maybe as a matching set, done in needlepoint would be a cute wedding or housewarming gift.

8. Erin says

Our 5th grade teacher uses this in her math class every year. They call it the gallon man and the kids memorize it by drawing their own picture of it. I have to admitt being a 6th grade teacher I don’t have this memorized. I never thought about it but it would make a cute graphic for a picture in your kitchen.

9. Tessa says

I’m a 3rd grade teacher, and my students learn how to make this really quickly after hearing the Land of Gallon story: In the Land of Gallon, there live 4 queens (the 4 quarts), each queen has a prince and a princess (2 pints), and each prince and princess has 2 children (2 cups). Once they figure out how to draw it, they can figure out how to convert the different measurements. Love it!

10. Cynthia says

Wow. I guess I’m the only one that didn’t learn this in Elementary school. Really, I didn’t see this chart until college. But, I used it a lot because I went for Baking & Pastry Arts. This is a very nifty chart. I actually just drew it out by hand a couple of days ago for someone else to use as a reference. But, the printable version is so much cleaner! I wonder, do you have one for the conversion of Gallons and Bushels? Thanks a bunch!

What a clever idea! And it looks pretty too, which for me is really important since anything having to do with math is far from pretty for me. Such a common sense reminder! Thank you for sharing it with our Bonbon Break readers this week. You are the best!

12. Julia in Woodinville, WA, USA says

Please know that this formula only works in the US. My husband is an ex-pat from the UK. When we were first dating, I was using his measuring cup to make rice. I could never figure out why my rice came out weird at his house only. Then I discovered there are TWENTY ounces in a UK (Imperial) pint – not 16.

When I was a kid my dad always said, “A pint’s a pound, the world around.” Nope.

Have you ever considered about including a little bit more than just your articles?
    I mean, what you say is important and all. But imagine if you added
    some great images or videos to give your posts more, “pop”!
    Your content is excellent but with pics and videos, this website could certainly be one of the
    greatest in its niche. Fantastic blog!

14. Sarah C says

Jillee – thank you SO much!!! I saw your post on this ages ago and today my 5th grader came to me having to do customary conversions (turning fl oz into pints, cups in to gallons, etc) and I remembered I had seen this on your site. You were a life saver!!! This was a quick easy visual for him to remember and all I had to do was explain how many fluid oz in a cup and he was set to go! Thanks for helping him “Get It” and of course props to Mrs. Rivera for posting this for all of us to begin with!

YOU ROCK!
    Hugs,
    One Happy Momma :)

15. Kurtara says

This is so great! I am a visual person and always question myself if I am remembering it right, now I think at 33, I have finally got it thanks to your image! It is also decorative and you should look into getting it made into a “wall sticker!”

16. CJ says

This is the greatest idea! I have been looking these up for yrs to help myself and/or my children w/homework. I actually copied it on the back of my daughters math worksheet so she can show her teacher & share it w/the class!!! Thank you-thank you-thank you!!

17. Mary Meiser says

I always have to look this info up on the computer so I was so happy to find this. I immediately printed in and posted inside my cabinet for reference. My 16 yr old daughter came home from school, saw it and laughed. “Mom, why do you have that?! We learned that in 3rd grade!” Bleah.

18. Deb says

This is clever, but my daughter taught me another cute visuization tool. Imagine a garden (gallon) with 4 queens (quarts). Each queen has two princesses (pints), and each princess has two cats (cups). Easy to visualize using the acronym of the first letters of each.