Friday, September 14, 2012

How To Make Your Own Dish Soap

homemade dish soap Yesterday I got an email from someone asking about a Homemade Dish Soap recipe. My initial reaction was “I’ve already done that!”, but then I thought about it for a minute and realized that is something I HAVEN’T done a post on before! I could hardly believe it. lol. How could I have missed THAT one?

My only explanation is that since so many of my really effective homemade solutions include Dawn Dishwashing Detergent, I almost always have it on hand. So when I DO need a liquid for washing something by hand…I usually just turn to that.

But since I really, really LOVE making my own products whenever possible…I definitely wanted to give this a try. So I started doing some research and HOURS later was almost SORRY I had taken this on! Do you realize how many different “recipes” there are out there for DIY Dishwashing Liquid? A LOT!!!

I had a really hard time coming up with a combination of ingredients I liked, because I was looking for a few very specific things.

• It had to be SIMPLE to make.
  • It had to have only a few ingredients.
  • It had to cut grease.
  • It had to smell good. (or at least not BAD!) :-)
  • And finally…it couldn’t contain Castile Soap. Nothing against it per se. I’m just not a fan of how it feels on my skin.

Oh and I didn’t want to make like a GALLON of the stuff! I just wanted one bottle. So many of these homemade recipes call for making enough to supply a small army, making it challenging to find places to store it all. I’d personally rather make less, more often. But that’s just me. (If YOU like to make MORE, LESS often, you can easily double or triple this.)

homemade dish soap

After looking at dozens of different concoctions, I finally settled on an adaptation of THIS recipe I found on Hillbilly Housewife.

Homemade Dish Soap

1/4 cup soap flakes or soap shavings (I used Fels Naptha.)
2 cups water
1-2 Tablespoons distilled white vinegar or lemon juice (I used vinegar.)
1 Tablespoon glycerin (optional)

homemade dish soap

Pour water and soap into a saucepan and slowly heat it over medium heat. Stir the mixture and keep heating it until all the soap has melted into the water. DO NOT let the mixture come to a boil. Turn down the heat if needed.

Allow the soap mixture to cool a bit, then stir in the vinegar. Keep it sitting in the pot until it is completely cooled, then pour it into an old dish soap bottle. I decided to use the DIY Mason jar dispenser I’d made. This recipe made JUST the right amount to fill it!

homemade dish soap

You can also add a few drops of your favorite essential oil if desired. I used about 5 drops of Lemon and it smelled so lemony fresh clean!

Two very BIG difference between the homemade stuff and the store-bought stuff  —-  Bubbles (or lack thereof) and Thickness (or lack thereof). This liquid dish soap won’t have any bubbles to speak of and it is pretty runny…but I personally don’t mind. I learned LONG AGO when I started making my own laundry detergent that bubbles do NOT equal CLEAN.

After dinner last night I decided to give my new soap a try. I ran into a slight complication, however, when I went to the kitchen sink and found the hubster working on something underneath it! (Something to do with pipes and such, I didn’t ask.) So I improvised and took a few dishes to my bathroom sink to clean.

homemade dish soap

You’ll notice the water in the picture has virtually NO bubbles. But it still did a terrific job on these little glass bowls that earlier had coconut oil in them! They looked and felt squeaky clean. The vinegar did a great job of cutting the grease! If it hadn’t, it would have definitely been a deal-breaker for me and I wouldn’t be typing this post this very moment. :-)

Just look at those sparkling clean dishes! I just love a good homemade solution! :-)

A Note: Depending on the soap you choose, you are going to get different results!
Here are a couple of tips:
If your soap ends up being too thick, use an electric hand mixer to break it up.
If your soap ends up too runny, make a solution of 3 T. table salt and 8 oz. hot water, stir until dissolved, then add to dish soap.

How often do you HAND wash dishes?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

149 thoughts on “How To Make Your Own Dish Soap

1. Pingback: How To Make Your Own Dish Soap | One Good Thing by Jillee « Muskegonvegan's Blog

2. Rebecca

The problem I have with Dawn dish detergent is that I don’t see the ingredient list on my bottle of it. There are so many toxic chemicals that I want to avoid, which is one reason why I make my own laundry soap… with fels naptha, borax and washing soda. I use the Young Living Essential oils vs. the DoTerra brand… I haven’t tried the DoTerra brand yet but if they are cheaper then I would consider changing.

1. Susan

DT oils are more expensive by a bit, but I would love to know the difference between the two and another one called Eden’s Garden. All 3 are the ‘heavy duty’, (can’t think of the word) so you don’t need as much.

3. Andrea S

You’ve read my mind! I was just thinking about how with all the homemade cleaners and soaps you’ve made, I hadn’t seen a dish soap yet and come to read this morning and here it is! Awesome!! I can’t wait to make some this weekend. Thanks again Jill!!
    (BTW-I between you and your sister, my husband says I am stalking you both because I am constantly on your blogs, reading and finding new things. What’s helpful is that it’s all changed my family for the better-I’m laid off and money is tight so these simple things are saving us money in unexpected places! Thanks so much for all your wonderful ideas and keep them coming!)

4. Mary

I like knowing that, when I run out of something, I can just look here and find out how to make it. I usually get Dawn pretty cheap (or even free) with coupons though so I’m wondering if it might be cheaper to just stick with the Dawn?

I have been using Dawn in my dishwasher with great results BTW. I followed your recipe and had to tweak it a bit probably because my dishwasher is old and my water just won’t dissolve powders very well. So I’ve been using a little less than a tsp of Dollar Tree Oxy-clean and a generous squirt of Dawn. If they’re really yucky, I rinse first with some vinegar in the machine and then re-start it with my “recipe.” The little soap door won’t open like it should or it would be easier. If I didn’t pre-rinse and they’re still a little icky, I rinse with vinegar after the wash.

The newest Finish Quantum tabs were working well, but this way is SO much cheaper!

5. GT2

I found good old Octagon soap years ago and have used it since. I rub it on spots on clothes, wash dishes with it, wash the dog with it, my grandson uses it for acne control, a good paste of it dries up poison ivy, I rub it on insect bites, soak my feet with it. For dish washing, just put the bar in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes, then remove bar and dump the bowl contents into the dishwater. Love how it cleans the pots and pans! Also, I occasionally use it in mop water.
    To be 60, my skin in very smooth from a good washcloth scrubbing several times each week with the octagon. I love Octagon soap.
    This is such a great site. Thank you all for making me think about daily choices.

1. GT2

Octagon soap has been around since late 1800′s and was a staple in most households. I live in the south, and can find the large bars in most any grocery store for about .75 cents. It is large, green, and ugly. Lasts a long time;, too. My Daddy, 86 years old, told me his mother used it when he was little, but it had a different shape (hence the name) and was brown. I am 60 and remember those brown bars. It was very commonly used when folks washed their clothes in a big iron pot over a fire in the yard. Wish my Mother was still here so I could ask her what she used, because that is the way she washed until she married Daddy in 1946. Also, the Octagon is great for flea prevention and is the reason I use it on my little Stevie dog. You should be able to search online and find a local store that sells it, or ask the owner of a small store to order it. It is produced by Colgate in a very limited supply. Think I will order a case of it to keep back in case we have an economic collapse. I have found it in laundry section and in soap section. You will love this bar when you try it. Amazing stuff!

1. Jea Kirt

I looked for octagon soap and came across a posting that said colgate wasn’t making it anymore when I went to colgate I ended up some how at amazon. I’d load up on those bars some were not cheap on amazon there was a listing for 10 bars for $30. that’s $3.00 a bar not including shipping and andling.

6. Judy

Looking at your container after you were done, it’s a little over half full. I’m guessing by the amount left in the container that you had to use quite a bit. This DIY solution seems like too much work to save a few pennies. I’ll stick to stocking up on whatever’s on sale. Thanks for the post though. I love seeing what you come up with!

1. Jillee Post author

So observant! :-) The reason so much is gone from the container is because I had to fill the sink in our bathroom a few different times before I got the pictures I needed. (It tends to drain when its’ not supposed to!) And this I blame on the hubster who was monopolizing the kitchen sink at the time. So inconsiderate! :-)

Just an fyi.

7. Trixie

I have tons of Dawn in the pantry right now but if I were to find myself out of dish soap I would DEFINITELY whip this up because I will do almost ANYTHING to avoid going to the store – I just hate it! >:[

Anyway, since this doesn’t make suds, includes vinegar for grease cutting and water softening, would this not be a great addition to your “Dishwasher Triple Threat”? Just curious about your thoughts on that.

Thanks again for a great post and have a fabulous weekend (0=

1. Jillee Post author

I hear that Trixie!! I hate going to the store too! Especially at 6:30 in the morning like I did today! ugh! Let’s just say it was a ‘female emergency’ and leave it at that. :-)

Hmmmm….I’m going to have to give it a go in my dishwasher now! I’ll let you know how it turns out!

You have a fabulous weekend too!

1. Denise

“U.S. Food and Drug Administration deems it safe for food and cosmetics and personal care products like sunscreen and toothpaste.” From a site that researched it but for the life of me, i cant seem to copy it to here. (i am at work so maybe be the bank’s privacy settings?) I probably wouldnt like it in a tooth paste though lol lol I use it for almost everything and I have tender skin that i have always had to watch out for. It would be fine. I am not dead yet nor is my family. :) :)

1. Jillee Post author

Lynn…. the original formula for Fels Naptha contained Stoddard Solvent, which has a small amount of petroleum product in it. In 1998 the formula was changed – it now does not contain Stoddard Solvent.

Thanks Denise!

1. Lynn

I realize it doesn’t contain the solvent anymore but there are still too many ingredients I don’t know on the list. I will stick with my homemade ( i use food grade lye) or kirks castitle soap. I make a version of soap specifically for cleaning anyway.

1. Shana

Spongy thing. Are you talking about the ones that have the soap dispenser already built in? I would definitely think so, in fact, I would imagine this would be too thin!! :)

8. Lin Holt

Love, love, love your blog!!!! I was already making my own laundry detergent but have been delighted to learn how to make all the other things! Here in Alaska, the price of cleaning supplies is outrageous or you can’t even find what you want so this is great, Jillee! I was really glad to get this one this morning and will be making some today (I’m a big batch maker) I bet this is going to work great for dealing with all the fish slime we deal with here. Good job gal!!!!

9. Pingback: HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN DISH SOAP | Heart and Home Matters

10. Wendy

First, I have to say that I love your blog! Even my kids know the name of it because I read it so often. :)

I am a missionary living and working at an orphanage in Central America (the country of Honduras) and I can’t find Fels Naptha soap anywhere. Are there other kinds of soap that work for this kind of thing? Lots of your recipes call for Fels Naptha… I can find lots of different kinds of bar soap, but not this one. Would Ivory soap work?

Thanks!
    Wendy

1. Jillee

Wendy….you can use any type of bar soap for this! Just know that you might have to adjust the amount of water because all soaps are different. But any bar will do. :-) And keep up the good work down in Honduras!

2. Amanda

Wendy,
      Where in Honduras are you? My husband and I have a children’s home in Tegus. I am planning to use Ivory in this recipe in the morning. I hate that I can never find “common” products like Borax and Washing Soda here. It’s always on the list now for when people come to visit…:) Sorry to steal the thread, just thought it was cool to see another missionary here. And, thanks Jillee! I have now found lots of amazing diy cleaning products to help us cut costs. :)

11. Melissa Fritz

One note, Fels Naptha can be harsh for skin and is not environmentally friendly. I do use it for my own homemade laundry detergent , and as a stain stick which works amazingly. I would be nervous to use it in something that I would have my hands in all the time. Gloves….yes I should, but I don’t. Anyway do what you will just wanted to share that thought.
    Here is what Wikipedia says:
    Health Considerations

Fels-Naptha used to contain Stoddard solvent, a skin and eye irritant. According to the ingredients list on the Fels-Naptha website, Stoddard solvent is no longer included in the soap.[1]
    According to the “Chronic Health Effects” section of the National Institutes of Health’s MSDS for the original formulation of Fels-Naptha:
    Chronic toxicity testing has not been conducted on this product. However, the following effects have been reported on one of the product’s components. Stoddard solvent: Repeated or prolonged exposure to high concentrations has resulted in upper respiratory tract irritation, central and peripheral nervous system effects, and possibly hematopoetic, liver and kidney effects.
    Stoddard solvent is another name for mineral spirits, which are, like petroleum distillates, a mixture of multiple chemicals made from petroleum. Exposure to Stoddard solvent in the air can affect your nervous system and cause dizziness, headaches, or a prolonged reaction time. It can also cause eye, skin, or throat irritation.[3]

12. Melissa Fritz

OH and it does say that it “used to” contain stoddard solvent. It may be much better now but I believe that I read somewhere that it still isn’t enviro friendly. But if anyone has any up to date info on it, I would love to know about it. I love this blog and cannot wait to try this recipe…been having trouble with making dish soap that is either too runny or hardens in the bottle!!!

13. Abby B.

Jillee, I was pretty tickled to find this post today. I have always said to my fiance, “If only I could make my own dish soap…” I just figured that because you hadn’t done a post on it yet, it simply wasn’t possible and I wasn’t going to try it =)

Your DIY ideas are great, wildly affordable, and make my life more enjoyable. I now supply laundry detergent to my dad, sister, and my own household. My friends at work thing I’m a total whiz, and I’ve saved a lot of money.

Thanks for all the fun stuff!

1. Jillee

Love your enthusiasm Abby! :-) I’m glad you like the website and I’m glad I finally realized I hadn’t ever posted on dish soap! lol.

Keep up the good work…your friends at work are right…you ARE a Whiz!!

14. Shana

I am definitely going to try this out!! One of my favorite kitchen items is my foamy soap dispenser, which also saves a ton in soap usage. We are going to see this weekend if I can whip something up that will work in my dispenser and go even further.
    On another note, I am now a vinegar and hydrogen peroxide addict!! I am using vinegar and spraying peroxide on top of that to clean my dogs, kitties and bunnies kennels. It cleaned up a major issue in my Neapolitan Mastiff’s crate so I am confident it can do anything!!! :)

15. CuriosityKilledTheCat

Love your blog!

I was also wondering why you hadn’t done a post on dish soap, and decided it must be because you liked Dawn so much! And couldn’t compete. Now I wonder: are you going to go with this that you make and stop buying Dawn? So curious for the answer to that one.

I was at Target the other day, and looked at the price of Dawn, fully intending to get some for some of these recipes of yours. Sorry to say, I nearly ran screaming from the store at the price of it!! It’ll definitely have to wait til a payday, while I wait eagerly to see if you’re staying with Dawn’s formula for your other recipes or giving it up for your own formula.

So glad I’m not a cat!

1. Rachel

Not sure how this works nationwide, but where I live (central Alabama) Dawn is one of the items that there is a coupon for almost every Sunday in the paper, usually $.50 to $.75 off. And the Dollar Tree or Dollar General usually have bottles of the blue stuff for cheap that you can use your coupons on, so it comes out pretty cheap that way. No idea if you have those same coupons and/or stores where you live, but I just thought I’d share :-)

1. CuriosityKilledTheCat

I haven’t seen coupons for Dawn around here, but did find a cheaper bottle of “blue stuff”, at WalMart, of course. I got it, hoping it will work similar to Dawn.

I tried the dish soap recipe here. I really, really wanted it to work. It was too thin, and not sudsy enuff, even tho I intellectually understand suds aren’t what cleans. I tried it on some glass and some metal pieces, and it cleaned ok. But, I knew plastics would be the real test. A few days later, I had a plastic measuring cup to wash, that I’d used to measure oil in. It didn’t clean it. :( I added a couple tablespoons of the “blue stuff”, which I think is a generic version of Dawn, and it improved the recipe greatly. It smells better, not as laundry-like, and is just a little sudsy, and a little thicker. I can now use it to clean all my dishes.

Thickness is an issue because I don’t load a sink with soap and water and do dishes in a traditional way. Most of my dishes go in the dishwasher, and the rest I wash by hand piece by piece, squirting soap from the dispenser onto my green scrubber or brush.

Jillee, I didn’t see a response to my question if you’ll be replacing Dawn with your dish soap, now that you’re making your own?

16. Tiffany

Abaolutelyove your website. I am
    Moving soon and will be making the laundry detergent. However i have a baby do I will use a bar of baby soap so I can ensure its safe and doesn’t irritate her skin. But, do you think I could substitute grating a bar of soap with liquid soap? If so, what would my water to soap ratio be?

1. Diana

I have used it with my yougest (now 1) and never had any skin problems. I use it on his cloth diapers too and no adverse diaper area rashes either and I use fels naptha. A friend just tried it too and her kids have severe eczma with no problem so far. I’d say try what you like the smell of or reviews, I do recommend adding oxi clean though with a baby or kids! (I have 3 under the age of 6)

17. Felicity

Used ivory and ended up with a layer of water and a layer of soap….. Adding more water with salt just doesn’t seem to make sense to me…. HELP! I think I just wasted soap lol

18. Linda

I love your website and look forward to seeing what you’re going to come up with next!! Can you tell me, did you make the dispenser from a mason jar?? Could you give me the instructions on how to make it??? It’s just too cute!!! Thanks for all your wonderful tips, ideas and recipes, I’m telling all my friends to subscribe!!
    Linda

19. Terri toscani

Jillee…I am new to this whole “making cleaning items at home” thing. I just want you to know your site is my first choice. I have made your granite cleaner, laundry det., facial cleaner, dishwasher detergent and hand soap (though the latter was a bust….never thickened…so I will search for a foaming dispenser and use that way). You are an inspiration to me. I love what you are all about. In my own interpretation….SHARE THE WEALTH! Thank you so much. You inspire me…and I pass that along to family & friends. Their Xmas gifts this year are all homemade things….even the gift baskets…which I crocheted. Keep doing what you are doing…and always know your tested recipes are greatly appreciated!

20. Jen K.

everyone is worried about the stoddard solvent in the fels. it doesn’t contain those ingredients anymore. in all actuality, it is the dawn dish soap that has the petroleum-based solvents in it. just a little fyi.

21. Elle

I didn’t notice this in the comments but I am wondering if you can use ‘glycerin’ soap (to grate) instead of the fels – I think I’ll try it out and see how it goes, anyone ever try this?

1. Sarah W

I too was wondering about a glycerine bar but more for liquid hand soap. Whatever soaps I make, I want to be healthier than what I can buy at a reasonable cost! If cost wasn’t an issue, I would just buy boxes of 7th Generation or other products! Must be healthy and cost effective! (aka avoiding Dawn and ammonia,etc)

22. Pingback: Make Your Own Antibacterial Soft Scrub Cleanser | One Good Thing by Jillee

23. Rita

Lots of comments, no reviews yet…so I will add mine.

We are currently in an extremely hard water area. The recipe left my glassware (pyrex) gray and smeary filmy, but I love the no suds feature. So I started adding…….much more vinegar, ammonia, citrus enzyme cleaner and finally alcohol before the glassware was not filmy. Still needs a lot of polishing so it may need more something. Also the rinse water still beads a little rather than sheeting after rinsing. I did add just a little Dawn, but not enough for a lot of suds. The ring around the sink is not as prominent. Stainless sink needs a little extra cleaning as it is still a little filmy after emptying dishwater. I always dry the sink with a towel when finished.

24. Rita

I did make this soap – we are currently in an extremely hard water area. Original recipe left my glassware with a gray smeary film. As well as a ring around the sink when the water was drained. I added more vinegar, ammonia, citrus cleaner and alcohol for semi satisfactory results. Today I added a little of the Dawn Direct Foam liquid to the dishwater & it worked great. Even my stainless sink sparkled. The soap in the recipe kept the Dawn from being too sudsy.

25. Shana

Is this diy dish soap compatible with all your other recipes calling for dish soap? I just picked up a bottle of grapefruit scent dish soap to try out your other projects, but once that is used up I’d love to make this too! And I have many jars around the house so I would love to make a cute jar dispenser too!

26. Terissa

So; I made the soap and followed it to the T and my dishes have a little bit of a greasy feel left to them…maybe add more vinegar? Not sure if anyone else has had this problem :D

Love your blog by the way

27. Chrissy

Hey Jillee! I just found your post today, ironically because I am trying to make my own dish soap. LOL. So I have these 3 recipes for making your own dish soap, and I am trying the middle one… Needless to say, I forgot to buy the soap flakes and instead used washing powder… followed the rest of the recipe… and… Nothing. It is just a tad thicker than water. Which is why I came to your site. I had cut the recipe in half, so I in turn added a 1/2 bar grated ivory soap. HOPEFULLY this will help it! We shall see. Wanted to send these recipes your way- just in case you know something I dont that will help to thicken up these recipes… honestly, It is driving me crazy. I need it dawn “thick” for use in my automatic soap dispenser with the sponge attached :D

Recipe #1: Liquid Castile Soap
    This method is by far the easiest because the base is pre-made within the castile soap.

1. Grab some liquid castile soap from your local health food store. Castile soap refers to any soap that is made entirely from vegetable oil.
    2. Mix 2 cups of castile soap with 1/2 cup of warm water in a recycled dish soap squeeze bottle.
    3. For scented dish soap, add a few drops of essential oils.
    4. Shake well before using
    Recipe #2: Soap Flakes
    Buy soap flakes where you usually purchase laundry detergent.

1. Combine 2 cups of soap flakes with one gallon of warm water.
    2. Place the mixture in a large, non-reactive pan and warm over medium heat until the soap is completely dissolved.
    3. Add 2 tablespoons of glycerin and remove from heat.
    4. After letting the soap cool, add a 1/2 cup of lemon juice or 1/2 cup of white vinegar. Either of these 2 ingredients will help the soap to fight grease.
    5. For a scented soap, add a few drops of essential oils. Mix well.

Recipe #3: Solid Soap Shavings
    You can save even more money by making dish soap from leftover pieces of bar soap! Just be sure to chop them into very fine pieces first.

1. Place 2 cups of soap shavings into a large bowl.
    2. Add 2-3 cups of hot water and let it sit overnight to soften.
    3. Stir the mixture until it becomes smooth. Add more water to reach the desired consistency.
    4. Add 1/2 cup of lemon juice or white vinegar to help fight grease.
    5. Shake well before using.

1. Jillee Post author

Hmmm….I’m thinking the third one with the soap shavings will yield you the “thickest” results because I have found that when I made anything with solid soap shavings it tends to want to return to a solid form. (if that makes sense.)
      Thanks for the reminder….I really have to experiment with this one some more. I personally am liking the castile soap more and more.

1. Sharda

Ok. I made like three versions for my dish soap. None of them came out the way I liked. The castile with water and vinegar and essential oils is just too runny for my taste. Castile liquid is not cheap either. The second um well it just didn’t hold up as well. So I just made my own by using your method and adding some washing soda to the mix. It made it gritty but it worked really well. This was using castile soap and dial grated soap flakes. Used the vinegar to cut the grease and added tea tree oil and orange to the mix. It worked well but everyone used it up cause it kept getting stuck in the old dish liquid bottle I had.

28. Ann

Jillee, I am so glad I stumbled upon your website. I have gotten some good ideas for Christmas. I can’t find the soap dispenser directions though. Could you please direct me? Thank you!

29. LeAnn

Do you have the directions to make the dispenser that the soap is in? Especilly where to purchase the pump. Thanks.
    I just ran across your blog thus morning looking for some solutions to some hard water issues. I can’t wait to clean my jetted tub!

1. Diana

It is on her site. Just search for her mason jar foaming hand pump for directions. I haven read it in awhile but I’m pretty sure she used a foaming hand pump from soap she bought. Hope that helps.

30. ummmasika

I have made laundry soap a few weeks back I live it . it makes my clothes so soft . With everything it only costs about 7 dollars for everything and with one bar a soap u can make 3 buckets full and they Ws make about 64 loads I’m never going back I’m even thinking about asking it also

31. cabingirl

I tried today. Love your site. this was my first time to do anything like this. I have some problems with this. It felt very greasy and left a film on my dishes. My dishes were done by hand.. my soap looks like it seperated in the bottle. Cloudy water on bottom of bottle and foamy with particles floating in it after it cooled in bottle.please help me figure out where I went wrong and what I can do to fix. I prefer to use no chemicals in cleaners and after finding your site I was ready to take the world of cleaners on but now not to sure. What can I do to fix my next batch to make it not greasey. Can someone advise me???

32. Renee

Made your dish soap this morning. I love it! Thank you for sharing it. First recipe I have found that doesn’t leave a greasy residue. Will definitely make this over and over again. Thanks.

1. Birgit

April ,
      I had the same problems with ALL of the different recipes that I came across. No suds, and left a NASTY film on everything. Very frustrating! we have hard water as well. Im not buy distilled water to do dishes in, lol.
      I have added more vinegar , tried citric acid, different bars of soap like fels naptha or Ivory flakes , (castille was the WORST ) still slime film and cloudy glasses .
      What I finally did : instead of ‘creating a liquid dish soap’ I use a sponge and Octagon soap, rub some on the sponge with the scrubby side and wash a few dishes, then repeat. The bar lasted me a half a year so far.. doing dishes by hand 2-3 times a day for 7 people and 6 pets daily – 79 cents. CANNOT beat that. The bar is ugly, its not in a cute jar, however I no longer care about that.

1. Lzee

Found this article by Dr. Bronner right before I mixed my own dish soap per recipes like above (http://lisa.drbronner.com/?p=292).

According to it, vinegar (and any acid) unsaponifies soap back into its oil form, and you’ll be attempting to wash your dishes with oil and thus the slimey film and cloudy water.

Also as another FYI, I diluted (w/water) the Peppermint scented castile soap from Dr. Bronner to wash dishes, but still got an oily film on some of the plastic items. Read somewhere that it’s likely due to the essential oil used for the fragrance – makes sense – so once I’m done with this batch, I’ll try a non-scented soap and see what happens.