Common Kitchen Measurements “Cheat Sheet” {Printable} . . . Just In Time For Holiday Cooking!

kitchen measurements chart

I have been wanting to make something like this to hang up in my kitchen for a long time! I don’t know why…but I can never remember how many teaspoons in a tablespoon and how many tablespoons in a cup, etc.

Yesterday I was working on a cooking post that required me to make several changes to the recipe amounts. I kept having to go to my phone and double-check on the measurements. I became so annoyed by the situation that last night I decided if I was ever going to make it through the holiday cooking and baking season with my insanity intact then I’d better come up with something helpful I could hang in my kitchen.

kitchen measurements chart

So here is the Common Kitchen Measurements “Cheat Sheet” I came up with. It’s not fancy…but it does the job. All you have to do is DOWNLOAD IT HERE and PRINT IT OUT.

Right now I have it taped to the inside of my baking cupboard door, but I think I’ll keep my eye out for a cute frame and hang it up. Then I won’t have to even worry about opening a cupboard door to double-check my measurements.

Hey, anything to make the holidays a little less stressful is ONE GOOD THING to me! :-)

kitchen measurements chart

CLICK HERE FOR A MORE “INK-FRIENDLY” VERSION

Here’s to many wonderful dishes being made and shared this holiday season!  :-)

What are some of your favorite dishes to make for the holidays?

Facebook1241Twitter29Pinterest375384Google+26

Comments

1. Deb Vaughn says

Thank you so much!!!!!

I’ve been meaning to do this and have just not taken the time! I’m working on a family cookbook and this will be right in the front (with acknowledgement to you of course!) Plus I’m hanging mine in my cabinet as well. Great info and cute to boot!

2. Terri says

I love this chart, and want to print copies for my daughters and grandchildren, but I can’t afford to—that big solid rectangle uses a LOT of ink! Is there a way I can print it without a large colored area?
    Thanks!

• Kate says

Assuming you have Paint on your computer. You can save her image, open it up in Paint and select the area you want to print. Then Copy, open a New image and then Paste. Voila! If you want to get crazy and try to print two per page the new image needs to be the size of a piece of paper not whatever the default is in the program.

3. Landon says

Great idea, Jillee.

Years ago my Mom gave me a brushed stainless steel magnet that must be about a 5-6in wide oval that has all the measurement equivalents on it. I know many of them right off the top of my head, but still double check the list when I need to so I don’t waste supplies/ingredients.

Another great thing to have on hand is a laundry cheat sheet. Since they switched so many labels from words to symbols I never can remember them all. I’ve printed out this list (pdf link at the top left of that site) to keep in my laundry room. http://www.textileaffairs.com/lguide.htm

4. Toni M. says

I wish I could find a printable version but in the spring my mom gave me a magnet that has cups, fluid oz, tbsp, tsp and milliliters on in. But its all for a cup or less (specifically though 1/16 cup), which works pretty well because most baking and cooking I do doesn’t usually call for more than 3 cups of something. It makes it super easy to halve the odd measurements (1/3 cup for instance) and to figure out how much of a canned product (usually in oz) to buy when the recipe calls for a certain number of cups.

5. CTY says

THIS IS GREAT! It will replace my chicken scratch collections of notes I have on the inside of my cabinet.
    I also have rough estimates for 1/3 C (1/3 C = 5 1/3 TB or 16 tsp or 2 1/3 fl oz) I use the tsp measurement when figuring half/quarter batches or for making 1 3/4 times the recipes (when I am using a 9×13 pan instead of an 8×8– its not perfect but it works out for me most times).

6. Heather says

When collecting ingredients, I like to make notes about any recipe conversions before I do any measuring. Just a minute or two with a pen and conversion chart/calculator is really helpful later so I’m not trying to measure and math at the same time. Also if I’m making any significant alterations to a recipe (or following alternate instructions that are in varying places on a box), I will re-write it. Just seems to take less time even with the extra step.

7. Jenn says

Jillee you are brilliant! I needed this so bad because I’m always asking my math wiz of a husband to convert things for me. Now I don’t have to. And I would have never thought to frame it either. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

8. Katy Judy says

Thank you for this. I don’t have trouble with the cups and ounces until I get to pints, quarts and above. And then its a real pain when I’m trying to figure out how much I need to buy for buttermilk for ranch dressing or half and half for fettucine alfredo. I too am going to frame this. Again thanks for all you do.

Oh jillee! First let me say I love ur killer name! Also THANK YOU SOOO MUCH For saving my sanity thru the hoidays too I can’t tell u how many times I’ve googled measurements! This is perfect! So cute too love it thanks again! Happy holidays to you!

10. Al says

Empirical evidence is information that justifies a belief in the truth or falsity of an empirical claim. In the empiricist view, one can only claim to have knowledge when one has a true belief based on empirical evidence.

I have no doubt, based on empirical evidence, that 1 Tbs Imperial measure is equal to 15ml

Love your cheat sheet.

Found it on Facebook here:

Hey! I know this is kinda off topic but I’d figured I’d ask.
    Would you be interested in trading links or
    maybe guest writing a blog article or vice-versa?
    My site goes over a lot of the same subjects as yours and I believe we could greatly benefit from each other.

If you are interested feel free to send me an e-mail. I look
    forward to hearing from you! Wonderful blog by the way!

12. Tammy says

Thank u soooo much! I am a SPED Teacher and have been trying to figure out how to teach my children this important life skill. I think the way you arranged the measurements is just what I’ve been looking for! Thank you again! Tammy