Monday, November 26, 2012

Gluten-Free Bread In A Cup In Seconds!

gluten free bread in a cupCoping with Thanksgiving can be rough when you have Celiac’s disease and can’t indulge in any of the yeasty, gluten-y dishes. Since this is only the 3rd year we’ve had to deal with this, it caught me a little off guard when No. 2 son asked me the night before Thanksgiving if I could make my gluten-free Better Than Pumpkin Pie CAKE for him to eat at my Mom’s house the next day. I was kicking myself for not thinking of this sooner because I was already up to my elbows in other dishes I was preparing, but I couldn’t possibly tell him NO! So I just added it to the list. Luckily, it’s very easy to make.

Then the next day as we were getting ready to leave for my Mom’s house, No. 2 son asked what he could have instead of the homemade rolls at dinner. Darn it! I hadn’t thought of THAT either! Since we were literally on our way out the door, I grabbed my big container of Pamela’s Gluten Free Baking Mix and decided I would have to figure out something once I got there.

On the drive “over the river and through the woods”…I did some online research (thank you modern technology)…that really paid off! I found exactly what I was looking for and then some! A single-serving, yeast-free, gluten-free bread using Pamela’s baking mix that only took 85 seconds to cook in the microwave! Perfect!

When I got to my Mom’s house I whipped up a couple of “loaves” and it couldn’t have been easier!

gluten free bread in a cup

Gluten-Free Bread In A Cup

by Jennifer Harris at G-Free Foodie

Grease one large cup (coffee cup, measuring cup, etc.) and add to it:

Combine the wet ingredients first and then incorporate the baking mix and the sugar (makes the bread softer) and stir until well combined. Use a rubber spatula or your finger to push the dough down into the cup and clean the surface of any extra batter.

Put the cup in your microwave and cook for 85 seconds (cooking times may vary). Prepare to be amazed when the timer goes off. What you will have in that cup is warm, soft bread! Transfer the bread onto a rack to cool then cut into three slices (or just eat it like it is!)

gluten free bread in a cup

gluten free bread in a cup

You can also toast this bread and it’s even MORE delicious! (Gluten-free bread is always better toasted for some reason.)  Or you could use it as a hamburger bun or even make grilled cheese sandwiches with it. The possibilities are endless!

gluten free bread in a cup

gluten free bread in a cup

Here are a few more variations that Jennifer came up with:

Sugar and Spice – 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, plus 1 tsp. extra sugar
Chocolate – 1 Tablespoon chocolate chips
Cornbread – 1 Tablespoon polenta, 2 Tablespoons grated cheddar and 1 Tablespoon green chilies
Italian – 1/8 tsp. Italian herbs plus 1 Tablespoon parmesan cheese

You can even cook the bread in different dishes to change the shape. Experiment and see what you can come up!

Now you (and I) have the perfect way to add hot, fluffy gluten-free bread to any meal!  Hooray!

Be sure to check out the new

One Good Thing By Jillee FORUM!

Start a conversationmeet a new frienddiscuss an ideaor just hang out!
See ya there!

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

75 thoughts on “Gluten-Free Bread In A Cup In Seconds!

1. Sandra R

Thanks for the recipe. I live in New Zealand and have no idea what Pamela’s Baking Mix is? We don’t get that here. Can you please come up with a gluten free baking mix recipe of its equivalent? Kind thanks, Sandra

1. Jen K.

You have to mix multiple dry ingredients to get a good gluten free baking mix. Most of them have one or 2 kinds of flour. Most use rice, sorghum or some other kind of gluten free flour. Next, you need a starch. Most use corn starch or potato starch. Then you need baking powder and salt. Lastly, you need to add xanthan gum. It acts as the gluten replacer and helps hold everything together. Here is the recipe I use:

1 C white rice flour
      1 C white sorghum flour
      1/2 C brown rice flour
      1/2 C corn or potato starch
      2 tsp xanthan gum
      4 tsp baking powder
      1 tsp salt

I know it seems like a lot, but the more flours in your blend, the better you gluten free recipes will be. Hope this all helps. :)

1. Lisa

This has been the best homemade go mix I have used! I don’t have sorghum, so used some coconut, millet, and quinoa flour in place of it. I also don’t have any brown rice flour as we don’t like it’s grittiness, so I used white rice flour in place if that.

Also, in place of the egg, I used 1 tablespoon ground golden flax seed and 3 tablespoons warm water.

I also baked this in a small loaf pan in a 375 degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes, depending on the weather.

Turned out great for this recipe.

2. Kim

Hi Sandra,

I don’t know if you are able to get things from Amazon shipped to you or not. I ordered 4 4lb. bags of Pamela’s Baking Mix from Amazon.com. I think it was approx. $40 but it last for a long time. They just ship it directly to your home and it’s the BEST mix out of anything I have tried.

2. Sherry L

I have no idea what Pamela’s Baking mix is or where to find it….I don’t particularly need gluten free, can I just use Bisquick? or Pioneer? both are good mixes

3. laurie

For Sandra R-If you go online and type in gluten free homemade Bisquick mix there are several recipes to choose from. These look good and might be nice if you want a quick “biscuit” and jelly in the morning.

4. Cynthia

This looks very similar to the Dr. Oz One minute muffins that I like to make. No baking mix required.
    1 egg beaten
    1 pkt stevia
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp coconut oil
    1/4 cup ground flax
    1 tsp baking powder

Add each ingredient to a large mug and beat with a fork before adding the next.
    This results in a nice light large muffin
    No sugar but it tastes sweet with the stevia and cinnamon
    Bake 1 minute in the microwave

1. KarenL

I’ve tried the Oz recipe which was actually from Belly Fat Cure’s Jorge Cruz… great idea, and maybe it grows on you, but I have to say they tasted like cardboard. Had to at least add a big dollup of yogurt or something creamy. Sorry!

5. Mary Hal

I actually made the Better Than Pumpkin Pie Cake for Thanksgiving and it was a HIT! My family and guests loved it (more so than pumpkin pie).

I can’t wait to try this bread. Many of the GF bread recipes I’ve found, while good, make so much that it goes bad before I can eat it. (I’m the only person in my household, and I eat GF.) This serving size if closer to what I’d need for when that “gotta have bread!” urge strikes.

6. Mary Hal

I knew I should have read the comments before I posted…

I’ve tried GF Bisquick mix and found it to be (in my opinion) truly awful. The consistency of the final product (I used it to make biscuits) was downright gritty. Horrible. I couldn’t eat even one biscuit and vowed that I would never buy GF Bisquick again.

I’m thinking that for this recipe, one could substitute a GF all purpose baking flour (Bobs Red Mill makes one that I’ve used without problems) and a pinch of xantham gum. It would take much xantham gum because the amount of flour is so small for this recipe (1/3 cup of flour). However, please note that I haven’t tried this recipe yet!

1. Jillee Post author

Mary….I completely agree with you on the GF Bisquick. DO NOT like. Pamela’s is much better! But good suggestion on the all purpose GF flour plus a little xantham gum.
      You can also use the Pamela’s BREAD mix for this.

1. Katy

You’ll probably also need to add a pinch of GF baking powder to get it to rise. Baking mixes are typically flour (GF or not), sugar, leavening (baking powder or baking soda), and sometimes dry milk.

2. Kim

I just tried this with plain GF flour but never thought to use the xantham gum (I’m still new to GF) and sadly mine looks like the play dough I make for my kids…shiny and yellow. It rose up really high in the microwave but it’s still so doughy. I tried heating it more but nope…I don’t think anyone is going to want to try a slice of this attempt…lol.

So do you think if I added the xantham gum it would turn it to a bread consistency? The loaf in the pic above looks amazing (especially toasted) and I’d really love to try it.

1. Jen K.

I posted a good g/f flour mix somewhere up above… Also, if you are new to g/f, there is a pointer good to know if you already don’t. (I had to learn this one the hard way.) You have to measure your dry ingredients differently. You can’t just scoop it out of the bag or container into the measuring cup. You can only get an accurate measurement if you spoon the ingredient into the measuring cup then level off.

7. KarenH

I love this recipe! I bake it in my toaster oven since we don’t own a microwave and I use a small custard cup for a bun or mini loaf pan to make a hot dog bun.
    There is also a pretty good recipe for a single bun using coconut and almond flour here

I haven’t made either in awhile and I should bake a couple buns today since we now have 2 needing to eat gluten free in my family, even with a family of 6 we would have a hard time eating a whole loaf of gluten free bread before it goes bad.

1. Anita

I’ve seen several posts that their GF bread goes bad before they eat it. That doesn’t happen in my house, even when I make 2 at a time (I have several breadmakers so it is much easier to to just take a day and bake bread). Anyway, I let my bread sit under a towel until it cools and we use it that day, then I put it in the refrigerator in a freezer bag. It lasts well over a week before we use it all and it doesn’t go bad. I make sure to check it, and use it too. The kids like grilled cheese sandwiches, french toast, fried egg sandwiches for lunches so it gets used. I have 3 grandchildren and myself who are GF.

8. Darlene in North GA

I’m betting that for those of us who don’t need GF recipes, we can make this and just sub out a Bisquick-type mix for the GF mix. So now I don’t have to heat up the oven or make a huge batch of bread for just myself. I can make it as I want it. Being single, a loaf of bread is a LOT to eat before it goes south. And you can only cut a normal bread recipe down so much before it doesn’t work out very well.
    Thanks for sharing!

9. Heather

I am so excited about this recipe – thank you ever so much for sharing it!!!! I have Pamela’s mix in the pantry and will try it when my daughter (we are both GF for now) get’s home from school. So glad you included pictures…can’t wait to make a grilled cheese on this! Thank you thank you!!!

1. KarenH

Nadine I bake mine in a toaster oven at 350 until done. I’ve also baked them in a GT express but any of those sandwich/snack maker machines would work. It comes out softer than just being baked in the oven but it does finish faster.

10. Molly

Oh my goodness! I’ve been poking around your website, and I just discovered you have Celiac Disease. I was diagnosed about two years ago, and I can’t wait to try this recipe! A big box of Pamela’s Baking mix just arrived on my doorstep from Amazon… my family tears through the stuff. Thanks for the recipe!

11. Kathy Smith

Jillee,
    I only recently found your blog (through Pinterest), and I just love it! I can’t wait to read your posts each day. I can’t tell you how happy I am to have found this recipe … perfect for a single serving, yeast-free and gluten-free, and something I can make quickly. THANK YOU!!!!!! I can now have toast on a regular basis! This is also nutritious (protein and vitamins from the egg) … the gluten-free and yeast-free breads I have found are not. Thanks, again!!!!!
    Kathy

12. Comet

I know this is going to sound like it is from far far out in left field but follow me here–

I had a dog. The dog had what was diagnosed as Giardia. This is also known as Beaver Fever and comes from water borne microbes. The dog had uncontrollable runs. The dog was then diagnosed with CELIAC DISEASE which the specialist vet determined was because the dogs stomach and digestive system had been affected by–the Giardia.

We put the dog on a gluten free dog food which nearly bankrupted us. One day a friend and I determined that the dog food was basically potatoes. cottage cheese, eggs, and corn meal mixed with some vitamins and minerals. And it was costing me a fortune! Since we live out in the country and I had several empty barns I decided to get a goat to feed the dog. And some chickens to feed the dog and the humans. Potatoes were easy and cheap since we live in the middle of one of the larger potato growing regions!

Fast forward: The dog did GREAT. He was eventually able to eat regular food again after a long “rest” on the gluten free food. I learned about dairy goats and for a few years ran a herd selling milk and making cheese.

Fast forward some more: I have done a fair amount of “research” on some digestive issues of my own and have come across numerous references to Giardia (some from very well researched sources some not so much) as being a pre-cursor to Celiac and several other digestive problems. Now–Giardia does not have to slam you like gangbusters. You can have a day or so of the runs and never think anything of it. OR it can land you in the hospital! You don’t have to see evidence of beavers. You can get it from a lot of different sources if they have been in contact with contaminated water. The microbe can form a “shell” and lie dormant.

Some say that anyone with these digestive diseases should be re-examined quite carefully (some tests are not as sensitive or done properly as others) for the presence of these microbes and parasites. Some say that there is a cyclical nature to them that “hides” between “outbreaks” which makes sense if you think it thru. And if you think that the microbes “colonize” in your intestinal tract and might not be “visible” when examined on a rather random basis this makes sense. IT might just be worth looking into to see if this is a factor in your or your families Celiac problem. I know that my vet generally listens more carefully to me than most human doctors do–because the animal cannot “speak” for itself vets are forced to learn to listen whereas most “human” MD’s are—not.

My friend now uses this “story” as a “Friendship Meter”–If you would get rid of the dog because of all of the trouble it caused–Raise your hand. IF you would keep the dog; end up with 30 goats; a flock of chickens; learn how to make cheese and get up EVERY DAY and milk those goats clean the barn collect the eggs dodge the rooster attack–happened only ONCE!!!—clean the chicken coop and THEN make the dog food–well, THEN you get to be her friend!

1. Jenelle W.

our dog is on a gluten-free diet too…but we just cook her large batches of chicken and rice – usually topped with an egg. And she gets whatever table scraps are fitting for her too. Much happier and healthier dog! (The dog’s symptoms made my mom examine her diet and determine that she needs to be gluten-free too! Gotta love our animal friends!)

13. susan west

Thanks so much for all your hard work…wonderful recipes..I appreciate every post…just wanted to let you know that I do read them …every one…but I don’t often leave remarks. Once again..THANKS! Take care of you…I wish you sunshine.

14. Pingback: Homemade Honey Butter Ambrosia! | One Good Thing by Jillee

15. Robin

I had a horrible intestinal infection call clostridium difficile, c diff for short. I had it 4 times last year. It has a shell around it and is very contagious. It was very difficult to get rid of. Keep you gut healthy with good bacteria from yogurt. Only take antibiotics when necessary.And stay out of the hospital if possible.

16. JR1981

I had to cook the GF Bread in a Cup a lot longer than 85 seconds, but it was good. I don’t think my husband would like it – as it does not have the tradional buscuit or muffin texture – but I could see myself eating it with homemade jelly in the morning. :)

17. Charlotte

I can’t wait to try this recipe. My mom lives in a retirement apartment building. I heard about 3-2-1 cupcakes and experimented with them. They are only good right after they are baked but work great for people who live alone and can not use a dozen cupcakes. If this works these ladies can have fresh bread again. LOVE YOUR SIGHT. A blessing to me and many others I have shared your posts with. A friend sent me a link. I always knew she was a great friend.

18. Katie

Thank you! I love your site. We are gluten free, dairy free, egg free, so I have found many of your tips helpful. I can’t wait to try this recipe, as I often need GF bread for my little one. Has anyone tried it with an egg substitute?

19. Amanda Bennett

Entering for my chance to win the canon camera…
    The only real family picture memories I have are of church directory pictures!! No real funny or embarrassing things really happened but sometimes they turned out to be not so great! Haha we do have some professional pictures of me and my brothers when were younger and we looked like we loved each other …. Knowing we fought ALL THE TIME….which most kids did!!

20. Ellen Bingham

Hi Jillee!
    Here’s my entry photography tip for the giveaway:
    Take the same shot several times at but at different focal lengths. I like the surprise later on of seeing things I captured that I wasn’t aware of in the background, because I was so focused on the subject.
    Thank for your site, which I LOVE!
    Ellen

21. Julija

Hi Jillee!

I saw your recipe and hoped it’d look just as good as yours…I used “Bob’s Red Mill” gluten free mix. I made it TWO times in the row, thought I might have over-mixed it the 1st time… Same result the 2nd time… Chewy, heavy, moist, nowhere near being fluffy…pretty much a cylinder brick… is this the mix? I tried to adjust the cooking time, as it looked uncooked when I baked it for 85 seconds. I don’t wanna give up on it;) Help!

22. Lindsey

Hi. I just wanted to drop you a line and let you know I shared this recipe with friends who are gluten free and they LOVED it! It has been passed around the gym crew and everyone is sharing their own personal touches :) nice job!

23. Pingback: A Christmas Present To Give Yourself…The Cuisinart TOB-195 Toaster Oven | One Good Thing by Jillee

24. Anna

blech… do not try this with a plain ol’ gluten-free all-purpose flour blend… not even edible! I tried it with that, plus the extra ingredients Jen. K suggested in her post (I did some basic division and figured out exactly how much Xanthan gum, baking soda, and salt I needed), and it was just gross. took forever to cook, and when it was done, it was like a hard sponge, smelled like rotten eggs, and tasted almost as bad. I highly suggest using the mix Jillee posts about, or use the mix that Jen. K suggests instead. do not try and make up some gf concoction like I did… it is gross! hahaha always trial and error with damn gf baked goods!

25. Kim

This has been a mainstay for my daughter since you posted this. Thank you!! Since she has fructose malabsorption, I substituted the sugar for a half of a packet of stevia with no problems. She has half with eggs in the morning and saves the other half for a snack for later. Looking forward to more of your gf recipes!!!

26. Tabitha

Thanks for the recipe! I gave it to my mom, who is gluten-intolerant, and she loved it. Now I’m trying it out on my son. He can’t have eggs, dairy, or gluten while we try to figure out which is causing his stomach and skin upset (the eggs we know, so it really comes down to the dairy and gluten). He loves PBJ’s, but all the bread I looked into at the store was dairy and gluten free, but still had eggs. I’ve tried this with my egg-replacement, and it’s pretty good! We’ll see how it goes over with the munchkin after he wakes up from his nap :) Thanks again!

1. Angela

Hi Tabitha,

I’m curious what your egg substitutes were? I want to try thus recipe, but I too stay away from eggs. Something simpler would be nice.

Thanks! Angie

27. The Spelling Nazi

If I may be so picky…nobody has “Celiac’s Disease”. Now, they may have Celiac Disease, and if a group of them get together there could be several Celiacs.

28. Setjay

I’ve just made it for my kids, using plain flour as we have no problem with it.
    But it resulted in a heavy and chewy “omelette” !!! So yellow and smelling strongly eggs…
    Maybe french eggs aren’t the same as the us kind ? Yet they’re not white but peach !

29. Kathleen

I made this yummy bread for the 1st time the other day and it was TERRIFIC! So light & fluffy! Since having to go gluten-free I have missed yeast bread so very much. This hit the spot, especially with butter and my homemade raspberry jam.

Going in the kitchen right now to make another batch or two.

30. Jody

I just made the GF bread in the cup!! I can’t believe how easy it was. I have had a difficult time trying to fine gluten free bread that is not grainy. I have used Udis and Rudis but most of the time they have big air holes in them. This was great. Now I can fix it most anywhere and have toast for breakfast, meatless burger on a bun with all the fixings, etc!!!. I had about given up on trying to live a GF life. Thanks for sharing!!!

31. Amy

This is amazing! I’m trying a gluten free diet for my son who is having some behavioral issues. He has been asking for a pb&j and I knew he would hate the ready made gf bread that I use. I made this for him this morning. His face lit up and he said it tasted like pancakes :) So, my little guy is having a pb&j on pancakes for lunch today ;)

32. Ang

I just recently discovered your blog and am currently having to adjust to a gluten-free, yeast-free, sugar-free, dairy-free (think food-free) diet thanks to extreme food intolerances. This recipe is wonderful! I have my own baking mix that I have cobbled together since I can also not have rice, flax, soy, coconut or any type of sweetener. This is the first bread recipe that I have found that doesn’t take me hours to make and tastes really good! Thanks so much! It has made my ‘food-free’ life much easier!

33. Kelly

I just made this at 9:30pm on a whim. I ate the whole thing in one sitting. Thank you (and Pamela’s) for making my new found intolerance to gluten easier and tastier to deal with.