Gluten-Free Bread In A Cup In Seconds!

Gluten Free Bread In A Cup

Coping with Thanksgiving can be rough when you have Celiac’s disease and can’t indulge in any of the yeasty, gluten-y dishes. Since this is only the 3rd year we’ve had to deal with this, it caught me a little off guard when No. 2 son asked me the night before Thanksgiving if I could make my gluten-free Better Than Pumpkin Pie CAKE for him to eat at my Mom’s house the next day. I was kicking myself for not thinking of this sooner because I was already up to my elbows in other dishes I was preparing, but I couldn’t possibly tell him NO! So I just added it to the list. Luckily, it’s very easy to make.

Then the next day as we were getting ready to leave for my Mom’s house, No. 2 son asked what he could have instead of the homemade rolls at dinner. Darn it! I hadn’t thought of THAT either! Since we were literally on our way out the door, I grabbed my big container of Pamela’s Gluten Free Baking Mix and decided I would have to figure out something once I got there.

On the drive “over the river and through the woods”…I did some online research (thank you modern technology)…that really paid off! I found exactly what I was looking for and then some! A single-serving, yeast-free, gluten-free bread using Pamela’s baking mix that only took 85 seconds to cook in the microwave! Perfect!

When I got to my Mom’s house I whipped up a couple of “loaves” and it couldn’t have been easier!

gluten free bread in a cup

Gluten-Free Bread In A Cup

by Jennifer Harris at G-Free Foodie

Grease one large cup (coffee cup, measuring cup, etc.) and add to it:

Combine the wet ingredients first and then incorporate the baking mix and the sugar (makes the bread softer) and stir until well combined. Use a rubber spatula or your finger to push the dough down into the cup and clean the surface of any extra batter.

Put the cup in your microwave and cook for 85 seconds (cooking times may vary). Prepare to be amazed when the timer goes off. What you will have in that cup is warm, soft bread! Transfer the bread onto a rack to cool then cut into three slices (or just eat it like it is!)

gluten free bread in a cup

gluten free bread in a cup

You can also toast this bread and it’s even MORE delicious! (Gluten-free bread is always better toasted for some reason.)  Or you could use it as a hamburger bun or even make grilled cheese sandwiches with it. The possibilities are endless!

gluten free bread in a cup

gluten free bread in a cup

Here are a few more variations that Jennifer came up with:

Sugar and Spice – 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, plus 1 tsp. extra sugar
Chocolate – 1 Tablespoon chocolate chips
Cornbread – 1 Tablespoon polenta, 2 Tablespoons grated cheddar and 1 Tablespoon green chilies
Italian – 1/8 tsp. Italian herbs plus 1 Tablespoon parmesan cheese

You can even cook the bread in different dishes to change the shape. Experiment and see what you can come up!

Now you (and I) have the perfect way to add hot, fluffy gluten-free bread to any meal!  Hooray!

Share on Facebook1,912Tweet about this on Twitter23Pin on Pinterest11,147Google+11

Comments

1. Sandra R says

Thanks for the recipe. I live in New Zealand and have no idea what Pamela’s Baking Mix is? We don’t get that here. Can you please come up with a gluten free baking mix recipe of its equivalent? Kind thanks, Sandra

2. Sherry L says

I have no idea what Pamela’s Baking mix is or where to find it….I don’t particularly need gluten free, can I just use Bisquick? or Pioneer? both are good mixes

This looks like a great idea.I didn’t know what Pamela’s was either but if you Google it you can find where to get it! Thanks for the recipe.

4. laurie says

For Sandra R-If you go online and type in gluten free homemade Bisquick mix there are several recipes to choose from. These look good and might be nice if you want a quick “biscuit” and jelly in the morning.

5. Cynthia says

This looks very similar to the Dr. Oz One minute muffins that I like to make. No baking mix required.
    1 egg beaten
    1 pkt stevia
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp coconut oil
    1/4 cup ground flax
    1 tsp baking powder

Add each ingredient to a large mug and beat with a fork before adding the next.
    This results in a nice light large muffin
    No sugar but it tastes sweet with the stevia and cinnamon
    Bake 1 minute in the microwave

6. mdoe37 says

Awwwww. What a good mom you are! All that “can’t have” is tough on kids and your efforts to make things almost the same are remarkable.

I. LOVE. THIS. And while I’m sorry your son deals with Celiac disease, I am so happy it leads to awesome recipes! I also can’t wait to try the detox bath. Just sayin’. :)

8. Mary Hal says

I actually made the Better Than Pumpkin Pie Cake for Thanksgiving and it was a HIT! My family and guests loved it (more so than pumpkin pie).

I can’t wait to try this bread. Many of the GF bread recipes I’ve found, while good, make so much that it goes bad before I can eat it. (I’m the only person in my household, and I eat GF.) This serving size if closer to what I’d need for when that “gotta have bread!” urge strikes.

9. Mary Hal says

I knew I should have read the comments before I posted…

I’ve tried GF Bisquick mix and found it to be (in my opinion) truly awful. The consistency of the final product (I used it to make biscuits) was downright gritty. Horrible. I couldn’t eat even one biscuit and vowed that I would never buy GF Bisquick again.

I’m thinking that for this recipe, one could substitute a GF all purpose baking flour (Bobs Red Mill makes one that I’ve used without problems) and a pinch of xantham gum. It would take much xantham gum because the amount of flour is so small for this recipe (1/3 cup of flour). However, please note that I haven’t tried this recipe yet!

10. KarenH says

I love this recipe! I bake it in my toaster oven since we don’t own a microwave and I use a small custard cup for a bun or mini loaf pan to make a hot dog bun.
    There is also a pretty good recipe for a single bun using coconut and almond flour here

I haven’t made either in awhile and I should bake a couple buns today since we now have 2 needing to eat gluten free in my family, even with a family of 6 we would have a hard time eating a whole loaf of gluten free bread before it goes bad.