The Ultimate Detox Bath

detox bath

A couple of nights ago I was really feeling poorly. I was worn out. Physically and mentally.

I KNOW I bring a lot of it on myself. I don’t get enough sleep a lot of the time (OK…most of the time) and I hardly ever give myself any “down” time. But I try to eat healthy and I take vitamins, etc.  I just felt like my body was trying to tell me something….but I didn’t know what.

Then I started reading about how toxins can build up in your body over time and cause a myriad of uncomfortable symptoms. For some reason this struck a chord with me…and I decided to give a DETOXIFICATION BATH a try! I mean it couldn’t HURT, right?  The worst thing that could happen would be I experienced a nice, hot bath and some rare “down” time. :-)

Toxins and chemicals are all around us, from our drinking water, to our health and beauty products, to the materials used to build and furnish our homes! They are unavoidable. There are, of course, certains things we can do to cut back on the amount of toxins in our living environment. Eating organically and using natural cleaning, laundry, and health & beauty products, are just a few!

detox bath

If you are feeling lethargic or sluggish or you are just experiencing “Brain fog”, a Detox Bath is a great way to help your body get rid of toxins and ease some of these symptoms.

Most detox bath recipes I found in researching this topic contained different combinations of the same basic ingredients: Epsom Salt, Baking Soda, and Apple Cider Vinegar. A few others also added Essential Oils and Ginger. But very few contained the “secret ingredient” I’m going to share with you today….Clay!

detox bath

Healing Clay has been used for centuries as a form of natural medicine. Taking a therapeutic clay bath is one of the most effective methods in existence to assist in the elimination of toxic substances which have accumulated in the body. It just so happens that my little town is home to Redmond Clay, who markets an all-natural Utah bentonite clay used by the Fremont indians thousands of years ago. (Note: I will definitely being doing a follow-up post about this amazing clay! Stay tuned.)

detox bath

So here is my ULTIMATE DETOX BATH recipe:

• 2 cups Epsom Salt (or Sea Salt) - draws out toxins from your body while relieving aches and pains
  • 1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar - soothes and soften dry, itchy skin while balancing the bodies and neutralizing the bodies pH.
  • 1/2 cup Bentonite Clay  - stimulates the lymphatic system to deeply cleanse the body’s largest breathing organ, the skin.
  • 5-10 drops of your favorite Essential Oil lavender, geranium, sandalwood, and ylang ylang are all known for their detoxifying properties.

Run your bath water as hot as you like. Add your “ingredients” and agitate to dissolve. Soak for 20-40 minutes. Drink a full glass of water when you’re finished.

detox bath

Warning! You will be exhausted after your bath, so do this right before bed. I felt like a wrung-out dish rag afterwards, but in the morning I felt energized, refreshed, and had a whole new outlook on life! :-)

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter105Pin on Pinterest39,493Google+22

Comments

1. Judith says

Thanks for this post – I just discovered Redmond’s Real Salt (love it) and have seen their clay products on their website, but I didn’t think I had a use for it until now!

2. Carol says

@mason… you shouldn’t smell like vinegar. The smell goes away when you dry. I use vinegar on my hair and when my hair dries you can’t smell it.

I bought some Redmond clay about 2 months ago. I have been wanting to do the bath but haven’t gotten around to it yet. I have been drinking it daily though. I think it helps with acid reflux. I also brush my teeth with it. 4:1 clay:baking soda.
    The Redmond website says to use 1 – 2 cups of clay in your bath and soak 20 – 30 minutes. 40 minutes might be a little too long, especially the first time you do it.

I also read somewhere recently, but can’t think of where off the top of my head, that full baths are better than foot baths and the reasoning behind that is because when you’re in a bath the toxins can go out all over your body but in a foot bath the toxins all have to be drawn down through the legs and out the feet. Some people said they had knee problems or their knees ached some after doing foot baths.

I did do a foot bath and felt it drawing all the way from my throat area. So I haven’t done that again but will try the full bath soon.

Anyway, I think it’s a great natural product and will continue drinking and using it.
    Thanks Jillee for posting about it.

• CTY says

Thanks for the tip about the foot bath–guess I won’t start with that. It makes sense though. I was going to start with that because even regular baths make me sooo tired that I am afraid I’ll fall asleep in the tub. Guess I’ have to set an alarm.

One thing about this, though, is the clay starts to sort of “gel” in the bath, and it makes a mess afterward… it isn’t too hard to clean out, but is sort of inconvenient. I use french green clay internally vs. bentonite clay (I have both at home, clays are so awesome!) and on my face. It is more expensive, but I have read that it pulls out more toxins, and even radiation that accumulates over your lifetime. How cool is that. Yes, I eat dirt! :)

• Pamela says

Pulling out radiation is utter nonsense. Not touching the other toxin stuff, radiation is not something that accumulates. Radioactive material can build up, but it also naturally decays (like leaves disappear into dirt) over time. However, just living your life you’re not accumulating radioactive material in your body.

• Victoria says

Please remember to be polite – we are sharing thoughts and ideas and if we do not necessary agree or offer additional comments or helpful information, please do so constructively. It’s always good to do your own research.

• Janet Hodges says

I appreciate Shannon and Ksg’ input. I didn’t know their info. It is hard to believe that clay would pull out radioactivitey and that it won’t clog the drain.

• Emilia says

Um, wothout meaning to offend anyone, the idea of “pulling out” radiation is entirely implausible, sadly. I base this on my knowledge of clays, chemistry and nucleur physics.
        I’m very into natural alternatives but from a scientific point of view rather than some sort of spiritual approach (I’m really just a complete nerd).
        So here’s the thing – we are exposed to 2mSv of radiation a year, +1mSv for an x-ray and some extra with flying due to cosmic radiation.Of the three types of radiation 2 are a particle and one is an em wave (same spectrum as light). Despite the fact radiation can be a particle there are no particles in you in relation to you’re radiation – save situations like a barium trace.
        Due to this, radiation cannot but “pulled out” because it is not that kind of physiscal thing. Rather, a radioactive source is “ionising” as it “steals” electrons from atoms, thus making them ions. To pull out the effect of radiation your own cells or atoms would have to be removed.
        Whilst radiation is “ionising” because it turns atoms to ions, and clays such as the french clays are “ionic” due to their salts, this unrelated in terms of detox.
        Not that clays aren’t brilliant, I love them, as they not olny remove toxins but give you minerals as well and they basically saved by skin, but un-ionising as such, they are not. On the other hand, background radiation is not something to be concerned about unless you are VERY frequent flyer of have had particular nuclear medicine etc. Sorry for the massive post,just thought that might clear things up a bit.

• Rose says

I loved Emilia’s 5.12.13 comment explaining radiation (particles & em waves) removing electrons from cells creating ions! Basically, simplifying explanation of radiation! Emilia, you made my day, I learned something I probably forgot in college chem!

• Victoria says

Please remember to be polite – we are sharing thoughts and ideas and if we do not necessary agree or if we can offer additional comments or helpful information, please do so CONSTRUCTIVELY. It’s always good to do your own research.

4. Stephanie A. says

Oh my gosh! I had to go check out the Redmond Clay website and I am definitely getting some of this. I’ll check our Whole Foods here in Colorado first to see pricing, but I’m betting it’s less expensive from their website. I can’t wait to try the clay and your detox bath, Jillee. Thanks for sharing!

• Pam says

The best price I have found on the Redmond Clay is at luckyvitamin.com They usually beat prices on oils, herbs, vitamins and natural formulas as well.

• Laurie says

I’ve seen a “starter kit” on the web which includes a cover for the overflow and a screen for the drain if you’re worried…

5. Carol says

@Andrea, that’s one of the reasons I haven’t gotten around to doing the bath but I just checked the Redmond website and according to them you can just rinse it down the drain and it won’t cause problems.

I’ll have to check out the french green clay now too. @Rebecca.. do you have a brand or website for the one you use? Thanks.

6. CTY says

Wow–who knew? And to think we used to swim in the clay pits as kids (wonder if it helped counteract the cloud from the mosquito truck). Our town had a truck that sprayed some kind of pesticide to reduce the mosquito populations in NJ (we called the mosquito the NJ state bird). All of us kids would run/bike through the fog like cloud. Hmmm-it explains a lot; and where were our parents? I remember all the neighborhood kids doing it. Anybody else grow up in a neighborhood like that?

• Landon says

Funny. We’ve always said the mosquito was the state bird of SC. Us country girls just had to deal with the winged beasts. No trucks spraying here. LOL

• Pati says

Mosquitoes are ALSO the state bird of Louisiana ! They get as big as terredactyls around here ! LOL

• Kellie says

South Texas, in the gulf area. Anytime it rained we prepared to get eaten alive! Only when it got out of hand did the spray trucks come out!

• Margaret says

As a child, I lived in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada and we had spray trucks all summer. I now live in Northern Ontario (approx.350 miles from James Bay) and the mosquitoes here wear fur coats and they have to fight with a little black flying critter called a black fly. They swarm and I become nostalgic about the spray truck at times. Luckily, I wake up in time to run inside the house.

• Sis says

Long ago we used to go camping down in the Florida Keys and the campground had a similar truck that went around spraying, and all the kids would ride their bikes behind it – wonder how many ended up with cancer or other diseases. Going to take a bath now – hoping to detox that mosquito spray!

• Linda says

I laughed out loud when I read this post!!!! My husband and I were recently telling our children about the “wonderful” time we had riding our bikes behind the mosquito trucks in our neighborhoods growing up too! And like you – we said, “What were our parents thinking?!!?” Was it not bad enough that it was a chemical being sprayed but also a fog that made it hard to see!!! And yes, it does explain so much about us. We told our kids to blame our wackiness on the mosquito truck “dope”!!

• loni says

Smokey Joe, that’s what we used to call “him”. Whenever we’d hear the truck coming everyone would start running to the street.

• Larissa says

I’m from a reeeally small town in Alabama and we used to bike through the “bug” truck smoke every Wednesday. I’ve often wondered where our parents were when we were making these not so great decisions lol. You know we were all laughing and smiling…really inhaling those chemicals. It’s no wonder I can’t ever remember where I left my keys or my purse. :)

• Suzanne says

We had the trucks here in Oklahoma as well. Haven’ t seen any in about ten years. The kids didnt run behind them at that time though. Bless our parents hearts, in the older days, the information just wasn’t out there that we have know. There was a trust that was broken. Everyone expected thee government to do what was right, best, & honarable for everyone. Too bad the rotten apples spoiled the whole barrel. BUT, YAY for natural health items that have always been there, but forgoten over time…

• Elyn says

I grew up in humid Milwaukee, WI in the 60s and I’ve never heard of a mosquito truck. But I asked my husband about this, since he’s lived all over the place, and he said he remembers the mosquito truck from when he lived in Townsville, Queensland, Australia. This This just blows me away– all those pesticides that you delighted in riding through! Like someone said– WHO KNEW?

• Barbara says

@ CTY: Yes, I grew up in the Houston area (1960′s) and we all would do the same things with our bicycles and ride through the wake of the mosquito truck! I have often wondered about that now…what in the world happened to us as a result? Thanks for sharing…Now I live in Alaska and the mosquitoes here are…BIG!

• Jillee says

gayle…the clay should not affect modern plumbing adversely. I’m not sure about the balance of the septic system though. Will look into it.

• Michelle says

Would love to know about how the clay would affect the septic tank, too. Hmmm. Doesn’t seem like it would be ok…..

• Jessica says

I was also curious about how it would effect the septic tank. I’m an art teacher & we use clay in the classroom. My old classroom had a “clay catcher” under the sink so it wouldn’t drain into the plumbing. My new classroom does not. I was told if I’m putting any clay down the sink to make sure while it’s draining, to continuously run the water for a few minutes afterward to ensure it’s all down the drain & doesn’t get stuck in the plumbing. The school doesn’t have a septic tank, so I’m not sure what happens if the clay ends up in it.

• Jessica says

Oh, & one more thing! I just recently found your website & I love it!! Thanks so much for all of your great info! :)

• Jocelyn says

Call my dad at Valley Tank Service 435-896-4021 to check on what clay will do to the septic tanks.
        I’m on city sewer, so I am most definitely going to be doing this!!
        Thanks for the info!

• Tricia Horst says

I wondered if there had been a follow-up to how the clay affects the septic systems. I am anxious to try the detox bath but worry about what it will do when i drain it.

7. Shawn says

Jillee this sounds amazing and since clay mask are so clarifying for skin, I bet this works.
    I posted a recipe on pinterest that might interest you, cauliflower breadsticks.