The Ultimate Detox Bath

detox bath A couple of nights ago I was really feeling poorly. I was worn out. Physically and mentally.

I KNOW I bring a lot of it on myself. I don’t get enough sleep a lot of the time (OK…most of the time) and I hardly ever give myself any “down” time. But I try to eat healthy and I take vitamins, etc.  I just felt like my body was trying to tell me something….but I didn’t know what.

Then I started reading about how toxins can build up in your body over time and cause a myriad of uncomfortable symptoms. For some reason this struck a chord with me…and I decided to give a DETOXIFICATION BATH a try! I mean it couldn’t HURT, right?  The worst thing that could happen would be I experienced a nice, hot bath and some rare “down” time. :-)

Toxins and chemicals are all around us, from our drinking water, to our health and beauty products, to the materials used to build and furnish our homes! They are unavoidable. There are, of course, certains things we can do to cut back on the amount of toxins in our living environment. Eating organically and using natural cleaning, laundry, and health & beauty products, are just a few!

detox bath

If you are feeling lethargic or sluggish or you are just experiencing “Brain fog”, a Detox Bath is a great way to help your body get rid of toxins and ease some of these symptoms.

Most detox bath recipes I found in researching this topic contained different combinations of the same basic ingredients: Epsom Salt, Baking Soda, and Apple Cider Vinegar. A few others also added Essential Oils and Ginger. But very few contained the “secret ingredient” I’m going to share with you today….Clay!

detox bath

Healing Clay has been used for centuries as a form of natural medicine. Taking a therapeutic clay bath is one of the most effective methods in existence to assist in the elimination of toxic substances which have accumulated in the body. It just so happens that my little town is home to Redmond Clay, who markets an all-natural Utah bentonite clay used by the Fremont indians thousands of years ago. (Note: I will definitely being doing a follow-up post about this amazing clay! Stay tuned.)

detox bath

So here is my ULTIMATE DETOX BATH recipe:

• 2 cups Epsom Salt (or Sea Salt) - draws out toxins from your body while relieving aches and pains
  • 1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar - soothes and soften dry, itchy skin while balancing the bodies and neutralizing the bodies pH.
  • 1/2 cup Bentonite Clay  - stimulates the lymphatic system to deeply cleanse the body’s largest breathing organ, the skin.
  • 5-10 drops of your favorite Essential Oil lavender, geranium, sandalwood, and ylang ylang are all known for their detoxifying properties.

Run your bath water as hot as you like. Add your “ingredients” and agitate to dissolve. Soak for 20-40 minutes. Drink a full glass of water when you’re finished.

detox bath

Warning! You will be exhausted after your bath, so do this right before bed. I felt like a wrung-out dish rag afterwards, but in the morning I felt energized, refreshed, and had a whole new outlook on life! :-)

Share on Facebook6,018Tweet about this on Twitter105Pin on Pinterest36,219Google+21

Comments

1. Judith says

Thanks for this post – I just discovered Redmond’s Real Salt (love it) and have seen their clay products on their website, but I didn’t think I had a use for it until now!

2. Carol says

@mason… you shouldn’t smell like vinegar. The smell goes away when you dry. I use vinegar on my hair and when my hair dries you can’t smell it.

I bought some Redmond clay about 2 months ago. I have been wanting to do the bath but haven’t gotten around to it yet. I have been drinking it daily though. I think it helps with acid reflux. I also brush my teeth with it. 4:1 clay:baking soda.
    The Redmond website says to use 1 – 2 cups of clay in your bath and soak 20 – 30 minutes. 40 minutes might be a little too long, especially the first time you do it.

I also read somewhere recently, but can’t think of where off the top of my head, that full baths are better than foot baths and the reasoning behind that is because when you’re in a bath the toxins can go out all over your body but in a foot bath the toxins all have to be drawn down through the legs and out the feet. Some people said they had knee problems or their knees ached some after doing foot baths.

I did do a foot bath and felt it drawing all the way from my throat area. So I haven’t done that again but will try the full bath soon.

Anyway, I think it’s a great natural product and will continue drinking and using it.
    Thanks Jillee for posting about it.

One thing about this, though, is the clay starts to sort of “gel” in the bath, and it makes a mess afterward… it isn’t too hard to clean out, but is sort of inconvenient. I use french green clay internally vs. bentonite clay (I have both at home, clays are so awesome!) and on my face. It is more expensive, but I have read that it pulls out more toxins, and even radiation that accumulates over your lifetime. How cool is that. Yes, I eat dirt! :)

4. Stephanie A. says

Oh my gosh! I had to go check out the Redmond Clay website and I am definitely getting some of this. I’ll check our Whole Foods here in Colorado first to see pricing, but I’m betting it’s less expensive from their website. I can’t wait to try the clay and your detox bath, Jillee. Thanks for sharing!

5. Carol says

@Andrea, that’s one of the reasons I haven’t gotten around to doing the bath but I just checked the Redmond website and according to them you can just rinse it down the drain and it won’t cause problems.

I’ll have to check out the french green clay now too. @Rebecca.. do you have a brand or website for the one you use? Thanks.

6. CTY says

Thanks for the tip about the foot bath–guess I won’t start with that. It makes sense though. I was going to start with that because even regular baths make me sooo tired that I am afraid I’ll fall asleep in the tub. Guess I’ have to set an alarm.

7. CTY says

Wow–who knew? And to think we used to swim in the clay pits as kids (wonder if it helped counteract the cloud from the mosquito truck). Our town had a truck that sprayed some kind of pesticide to reduce the mosquito populations in NJ (we called the mosquito the NJ state bird). All of us kids would run/bike through the fog like cloud. Hmmm-it explains a lot; and where were our parents? I remember all the neighborhood kids doing it. Anybody else grow up in a neighborhood like that?