A Quick Tip For Cleaning Kitchen Oil Splatters . . . Fight Oil With Oil!

cleaning the stove hood From the “fighting fire with fire” file…..today we are going to be fighting gunky oil splatters with….more OIL! I know, some of you are saying, “But Jillee…that sounds like CRAZY TALK!” To which I reply…”Crazy like a FOX!”  Allow me to explain……..

I happened to wander over to my friend Mike’s blog yesterday, “The Manly Housekeeper“. His blog is where I first spotted the idea for “How To Clean That Greasy Stove Filter“.

I wanted to see what kind of manly housekeeping he had been up to. :-) That guy never disappoints. Once again I found myself immediately drawn to one of his ideas and simply had to try it out.

cleaning the stove hood

This is a greasy stove hood. I doubt there is a home in the universe that hasn’t dealt with this before. It happens when we cook GREASY stuff. How it gets THAT FAR UP on the stove hood is a mystery to me…it just does. Normally to clean this I would get out my bottle of 1/2 water & 1/2 ammonia and spray down the hood, then wipe it off. Works quite well! However, it SMELLS horrible and it is considered a hazardous chemical that can irritate skin, eyes, and lungs if not used properly. Not necessarily a cleaning agent that fosters confidence.  :-/

So I was very interested is seeing if this little “trick” of Mike’s would really work. Guess what? Mike did it again. I now have a new way to clean my greasy stove WITHOUT resorting to using potentially harmful chemicals.

Here’s how it works:

Put a couple of drops of oil on a paper towel, wipe the paper towel over the greasy surface, and watch that gunk come right off!

Yep, the proof is on the paper towel….

cleaning the stove hood

…..and on the nice and shiny hood!

cleaning the stove hood

When you are done cleaning, take another clean paper towel (or cloth towel) and wipe down the surface one more time. This will leave the surface lightly coated in oil, making future clean-ups much easier!

Mike recommends using Mineral Oil, which is a neutral oil used to treat wood products like cutting boards and salad bowls, but Vegetable Oil works just as well. That’s what I used.

Since the stove hood turned out so well, I decided I would try the other greasy surfaces on my appliance.  I actually thought the stove top results were marginal (too much gunk to get through)…..but the console (is that what you call the part of the stove with the knobs and buttons?) turned out beautifully!

cleaning the stove hood

As you can see, this appliance has seen many years of “active duty” (I’m thinking it deserves an honorable discharge soon!) but the parts that are still black and shiny (as opposed to scratched and dingy) shined up beautifully! I was happy to give my old friend a good cleaning and restore some of the lustre of its’ youth.

So thanks Mike…for another useful cleaning tip that I will definitely be using from now on.

cleaning the stove hood

Be sure to check out the new

One Good Thing By Jillee FORUM!

Start a conversationmeet a new frienddiscuss an ideaor just hang out!
See ya there!

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter29Pin on Pinterest47,316Google+4

Comments

1. Darlene says

Who would have thought that oil would work? Not me, that’s for sure. Will be trying this soon.

• Tamara says

Likes dissolve likes. Finally a place in the “real” world where my chemistry helps me understand why this works so well and for me to do a head slap–why didn’t I think of that?

2. gina says

Oil also works nice in shining up my stainless steel kitchen sink (I use olive oil), I think it also loosens up stuck-on gunk. Baking soda cleans the stains off well too, but tends to leave a white film no matter how much i rinse it down.

• Safaia says

If ya ever need to bleach sommat, and do so in a stainless steel sink, it’ll shine it up purrrrty when ya drain it and wipe it down with a soapy washcloth then rinse.

3. Sue says

That is so great, I was looking at mine the other day and thought it’s about time to tackle the beast again. Thanks Mike and Jill!

4. Denise says

Amazing. Thanks for all your great ideas and the time you take to research and post them! ALWAYS great and useful information.

5. mdoe37 says

There. Now I feel better about waiting to clean that yucky ceiling fan over my stove. I was waiting for this tip. I believe I actually have some mineral oil as well. Just in time too, it was growing a nice fuzzy sweater for winter.

6. Lisa says

I always read to use grease to take out grease stains from clothing and I have never tried it… This reinforces that idea!

• Mandy says

Hi lisa
      I have removed grease from clothing by rubbing margarine into it, then soaking in napisan or simlar, works a treat!

7. Vicki W. says

I found this to be very interesting! I popped on over to Mike’s blog and noticed that he did update his comments at the bottom. Although vegetable did work to clean, mineral oil was actually better because it doesn’t turn yellow and sticky and gummy over time like the veg oil. Good to know…

8. Kim in Michigan says

Going to try this today, on the underside of the exhaust fan. My problem is, the cover is oak as are the little spindle wood decor above it. Wish i could post a picture! Do you think i could use the mineral oil on the wood parts too?

• Patti White says

I have cabinets above my stove and vent hood, they get very greasy. I just tried the oil and some wild orange essential oil…they look great. I wouldn’t think you could hurt your wood with oil…I’ve always used Murphy’s Oil Soap.

• Kim in Michigan says

Thanks! I appreciate you all chiming in! I bought some mineral oil last night..will see how it turns out!

Any tips for how to get the burnt on grease off? You know the kind you need a knife to pick at? Sometimes the other cooks in my family think the stove is clean because they can’t see the grease, then they light up the burners and the grease browns and cooks on. I want it off!

• Jessica Russell says

On enameled stoves… straight ammonia cover with plastic baggie to keep from drying out 24 hrs later scrub with scrubbie. i do this all the time works great for gas burner grates just put them in garbage bag with ammonia on the grates makes sure plastic is form fitted over grates 1 day later scrub with scubbie…voila!!

• Susie says

sprinkle with baking soda, then soak an old wash cloth with white vinegar, let it sit on top – it does all the work for you. Or, take all the movable parts off, put them in a plastic storage tub, boil the kettle, add baking soda, white vinegar and hot,hot water. I’d use about a 3/4 pint vinegar, and 1/2 cup baking soda if I was taking everything off the stove – knobs, burners, pot supports, gas rings… whatever…

while it’s all fizzy and working, I’d use another cloth to wipe down the stove, I also pull mine out and wipe down the sides, clean the floor underneath, and refill the mouse traps – little @#%#@ get in everywhere, can’t seem to find where they are getting in (Rural life) Trying peppermint oil on them this year,

Works on any grease, does wonders for the sink, cleans the drain, gets rid of rusty water stains, hard water stains – wow! for wood, I mix 4 parts mineral oil to 1 part white vinegar, and keep that in a jar. I just give it a good shake before applying it to a rag and polishing all my wood with it. works wonders!

For years of burnt on black on the bottom of your favorite cookie sheet, make a paste of cream of tarter and hydrogen peroxide, let it sit overnight – voila – good as new, with only the smallest amount of elbow grease, and no toxic chemicals! Yaaay!

1. […] There is always that one impossible thing to clean. You know, the one that one that never gets better? No matter how hard you try? For me that is the kitchen stove hood. Here is a great tip on Cleaning Kitchen Oil Spatters! Did you ever think of cleaning oil with oil? Just like fire with fire, only this will leave your stove sparkling! Get all the details thanks to- The Manly Housekeeper (Another tutorial can be found here- One Good Thing by Jillee) […]