Nicea’s Favorite Chicken Fried Rice {And Mine Too!}

chicken fried rice 8

As many of you know, I used to produce a daily talk show in Salt Lake City called Good Things Utah. One of the amazingly beautiful and talented hosts of the show, Nicea DeGering, also happens to be one of my favorite people in the whole world. :-)

nicea mom 2

I just love this gal!

And NOT just because she gave me one of our family’s FAVORITE recipes…Nicea’s Favorite Chicken Fried Rice!  (That’s just ONE of the reasons!)

I was making this the other night and I realized that I had not shared it in a post yet! I could hardly believe I had committed such a HUGE oversight! I knew it had to be corrected right away!  After you make it (and see how easy it is!) and taste it (and see how yummy it is!) you will understand!

So without further ado….I present to you a FAVORITE recipe from one of my FAVORITE people…..

Nicea’s FAVORITE Fried Rice

• 1-2 chicken breasts or 10 chicken tenders (cut into very small pieces)
  • 1/4 cup (gluten-free) soy sauce for marinating
  • 3 scrambled eggs
  • 2 carrots (finely grated) – I use 1/2 a bag of frozen peas and carrots when I’m in a hurry….which is always!
  • 1/2 white onion (finely chopped) – I use 1/2 a bag of frozen chopped onions when I’m in a hurry….which is always!
  • 3/4 cup frozen peas (see above comments)
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 1-2 garlic cloves (minced) or 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 2 cups cooked white rice (not instant)

chicken fried rice

Marinate chicken in soy sauce. Or if you’re in a hurry (which I always am!), just add to cut up chicken before cooking.

chicken fried rice In a large frying pan, cook chicken in a small amount of olive oil.

chicken fried rice

chicken fried rice Add carrots and onions and sauté until clear.
Add frozen peas and cook until soft.

chicken fried rice Add cooked rice. Add scrambled eggs.
Melt 1/2 cup butter, add garlic, stir and add to mixture

chicken fried rice

Mix all the ingredients together well, add soy sauce to taste, and enjoy!

Share on Facebook141Tweet about this on Twitter6Pin on Pinterest3,946Google+3

Comments

so funny to see the email waiting in my inbox this morning! my cousin was just telling me how much she and her family love chicken fried rice and couldn’t believe i had never had it! i’m going to fis this for her the next time she comes over! thanks for sharing!

2. Mari says

The best way to not have mushy fried rice is to use day old white rice ( a tip my Chinese sister-in-law shared with me)… It makes all the difference in the world!

3. Fanny says

Hi Jillee, this looks fablicious! (fabulous & delicious)
    How many servings would your recipe make? I’m cooking for myself only, so I usually make a dinner worth 2 servings, but more than that and I end up eating the same thing every night for a week :) Thanks!
    Fanny

• JUNE says

I always cook for 2 people, I would halve the recipe. 1 breast, 2 eggs, half a small onion, and do frozen veggies. It should be a quick and simple dinner – good to do with any left over rice. Brown rice works too.

4. Nancy says

I make a similiar type of Fried Rice but I am going to try your recipe. Love the idea of adding eggs to it! Yummy! And I’ve always used leftover chicken. I really like the idea of marinating the chicken, I think it will have a better flavour. We are having a family gathering in a couple of weeks and the food “theme” is Chinese. This will be the Fried Rice dish!
    Also, thanks for using a darker font for your new blog. It does make reading much easier. And I am so glad you are using your fun, bright colours to emphasize different things in your postings. That was one of the things I LOVED about (reading) your blog! Cheers!

5. Sue says

When I was a little bitty thing, we lived in Japan and had a Japanese babysitter/housekeeper/friend. She would fix fried rice using whatever meat was available and/or leftover – cut up cooked shrimp, hotdogs cut into little pieces, pork chops, bologna, beef, and of course, chicken. Just whatever she found in the fridge. Always good!
    And yes! Thanks for the darker font! Much better.