Nicea’s Favorite Chicken Fried Rice {And Mine Too!}

chicken fried rice 8

As many of you know, I used to produce a daily talk show in Salt Lake City called Good Things Utah. One of the amazingly beautiful and talented hosts of the show, Nicea DeGering, also happens to be one of my favorite people in the whole world. :-)

nicea mom 2

I just love this gal!

And NOT just because she gave me one of our family’s FAVORITE recipes…Nicea’s Favorite Chicken Fried Rice!  (That’s just ONE of the reasons!)

I was making this the other night and I realized that I had not shared it in a post yet! I could hardly believe I had committed such a HUGE oversight! I knew it had to be corrected right away!  After you make it (and see how easy it is!) and taste it (and see how yummy it is!) you will understand!

So without further ado….I present to you a FAVORITE recipe from one of my FAVORITE people…..

Nicea’s FAVORITE Fried Rice

• 1-2 chicken breasts or 10 chicken tenders (cut into very small pieces)
  • 1/4 cup (gluten-free) soy sauce for marinating
  • 3 scrambled eggs
  • 2 carrots (finely grated) – I use 1/2 a bag of frozen peas and carrots when I’m in a hurry….which is always!
  • 1/2 white onion (finely chopped) – I use 1/2 a bag of frozen chopped onions when I’m in a hurry….which is always!
  • 3/4 cup frozen peas (see above comments)
  • 1/2 cup melted butter
  • 1-2 garlic cloves (minced) or 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 2 cups cooked white rice (not instant)

chicken fried rice

Marinate chicken in soy sauce. Or if you’re in a hurry (which I always am!), just add to cut up chicken before cooking.

chicken fried rice In a large frying pan, cook chicken in a small amount of olive oil.

chicken fried rice

chicken fried rice Add carrots and onions and sauté until clear.
Add frozen peas and cook until soft.

chicken fried rice Add cooked rice. Add scrambled eggs.
Melt 1/2 cup butter, add garlic, stir and add to mixture

chicken fried rice

Mix all the ingredients together well, add soy sauce to taste, and enjoy!

Share on Facebook126Tweet about this on Twitter6Pin on Pinterest3,636Google+3

Comments

1. Fanny says

Hi Jillee, this looks fablicious! (fabulous & delicious)
    How many servings would your recipe make? I’m cooking for myself only, so I usually make a dinner worth 2 servings, but more than that and I end up eating the same thing every night for a week :) Thanks!
    Fanny

2. Nancy says

I make a similiar type of Fried Rice but I am going to try your recipe. Love the idea of adding eggs to it! Yummy! And I’ve always used leftover chicken. I really like the idea of marinating the chicken, I think it will have a better flavour. We are having a family gathering in a couple of weeks and the food “theme” is Chinese. This will be the Fried Rice dish!
    Also, thanks for using a darker font for your new blog. It does make reading much easier. And I am so glad you are using your fun, bright colours to emphasize different things in your postings. That was one of the things I LOVED about (reading) your blog! Cheers!

3. Sue says

When I was a little bitty thing, we lived in Japan and had a Japanese babysitter/housekeeper/friend. She would fix fried rice using whatever meat was available and/or leftover – cut up cooked shrimp, hotdogs cut into little pieces, pork chops, bologna, beef, and of course, chicken. Just whatever she found in the fridge. Always good!
    And yes! Thanks for the darker font! Much better.

4. Linda says

God Morning !! What a wonderful Sunday! It is 28 degrees already!!

Thank you for the Chicken Fried Rice recipe. I am excited!

I wanted to ask if you think it would ruin the dish if I used ‘brown’ rice instead
    of white ????

Thank you for everything!

Linda

5. CTY says

This would be great whenever I get a yen for fried rice (pun intended). I may even cut up the chicken and make this into a Dump Chicken recipe using the soy sauce & garlic as marinade. I keep plain cooked rice on hand in the freezer already. May add some water chestnuts too.
    THANX

6. Mary G says

Wondering if you have to use all the butter…I have to watch my cholesterol and would like to leave some or all of the butter out. Any ideas about a good substitute that would keep the flavor?

I make a very similar fried-rice with chicken (I use leftover bits from roasted chicken, so it is pre-cooked), and usually use about 1 Tbsp. each of Olive oil, Veg oil, butter, and sesame oil. The sesame oil adds a great taste, but you really don’t need to use a lot of it. This saves a little money but still has great flavor.

• Ib says

Use chicken broth instead of butter. The chinese almost never use butter.

Take out the chicken / vegetable after cooked, set aside. Then add egg, spread it on the bottom of the pan, quickly add rice and start mixing. the egg will “coat” the rice. Add the flavoring oil/stock/spices. Then add the chicken and vegetable back in. This way the chicken and vegetable will not be over cooked.

Use less water when making the rice, it will be a little hard, then cool it down. Then when you add the liquid it will be perfect and not mushy. When adding the rice to the pot, crumble it with you hand , so each grain is seperated.

Add lots of garlic and ginger, it’s good for you and delicious. Tiny amount of sesame oil will go a long way.

7. Tracy Lang says

I make something like this quite often using left-over chicken. If fact I was planning on fixing that tonight using chicken left over from the crock pot chicken I made the other day using your recipe! I just use whatever left-over rice & veggies I have. Also a glop of ketchup & splash of sherry. Sounds weird but gives it a kick. I sometimes use a little oil to cook onions, etc but have never added the butter. Thanks for all your wonderful ideas/recipes!

8. Judy says

We had a friend from Guam that used to make Shrimp Fried Rice and then would have a “sauce” called Fenideni ~ equal parts of Lemon Juice and Soy Sauce (or if you prefer a more salty sauce less lemon juice or more citrus less soy); then BBQ jalapeno’s ~ once that is done chop them up (seeds and all) and chop up an onion ~ I always store mine in an empty restaurant spice container (that has the holes on one side or the other side you can pour). I keep mine in the refrigerator ~ the longer this sits the hotter it will get! The sauce is not only good on Fried Rice but is FABULOUS with fried fish or grilled pork chops!

9. Catheine Heather Graham says

I also make chicken fried rice.I use green onions chopped up I cook my rice using one pack of onion soup I saute my other vegetable using broccoli,carrots ..I dont use peas though but chopped celery. I scramble the eggs with a little butter or peanut oil. and soya sauce. I also like to saute peanuts .Once everything is combined I put in the peanuts and green onions and serve..very good You dont want to overcook and adding the nuts and green onions just before serving keeps the onions and peanuts from getting soggy. Sometimes I also add sauted mushrooms at the end as well.

10. nicole says

We always had fried rice at least once a week to use up the leftover rice and meat from the week. My mom is Filipino so we had rice nearly every night. Or we had it for breakfast with eggs and bacon in it.

11. Stefanie Anderson says

I use a similar recipe to make fried rice, and I just scoot everything over to one side of the pan while I scramble the eggs on the other side real quick and then mix them in when they’re cooked. Then I don’t have to get another pan dirty.

12. Comet says

If you beat up your eggs and then cook them in a bit of hot oil in a flat pan–like an UNROLLED omelet—then when you take the flat egg “pancake” out you can either slice it in one direction and then slice it across for a nice diced egg or you can roll it up and then slice one direction and then the other. Pizza cutters work well for this.

This avoids “Clumps” of egg and makes a nice look and you know all of the egg is cooked. You can also add in scallions or other herbs to the eggs! This way you can also cook the eggs before hand and store in a dish to use later. OR leave the egg part out of some one doesn’t like it!

I also mix up the tamari (dark soy type sauce with better flavor I think) with a dab of HONEY and GARLIC either mashed or granules; pepper and a few dashes of sherry before I start so I just have to drip the sauce in as I stir.

You can also marinate COOKED leftover meats!!!! AS long as whatever seasoning already on them is “compatible” you can just dice and stir in the seasonings or sauce you want to use for a while. Let drain for a few seconds before stir frying and they will not be too soggy to cook nicely.

This rice is also really good with leftover pork–either chops or roast slices—or some ham.

13. Thomas says

You can drizzle the egg in as you cook it rather than cook the egg ahead of time.
    I’m a bit confused about the pea part. Seems to me you are adding peas twice. Peas and carrots and 3/4 cup of peas. Do you mean to just use the peas and carrots?

Jillee was giving both the normal recipe and her short cuts. You’re only adding in carrots and peas once. Either as shredded carrots and peas separately, or as 1/2 a package of peas and carrots.

If adding the two separately, you add them at different times – carrots with the onions and then the peas after the carrot/onion mix is translucent. If adding in 1/2 package of mixed veggies, you’ll add them in with the onions and call it good. hth

14. Julie Breecham says

I toast sesame seeds first in a dry skillet and set them aside. Cook my meat (unless I’m using leftover) then saute veg (I like celery, carrot, onion, peas but also won’t hesitate to add leftover broccoli or cabbage, etc). I add (day old – leftover) rice and actually get a fry on it. I like that texture on mine. Then make a well in the center or slide off to one side and dump eggs & scramble right in the pan and when egg starts to set stir all together. Stir in sesame seeds, grate some fresh ginger (or use powdered) and finish off with sesame oil (a little goes a long way). I never add salt. A little splash of soy after plating and I’m good to go. Maybe a few more toasted sesame seeds on top.

15. Schadenfreude says

A great alternative to soy sauce (all that sodium – yuck) is:
    (Source: Food.com – by Hep Mep)

3/4 cup of garlic vinegar (*see note)
    3 tablespoons dark molasses
    3 teaspoons onion powder

Directions:

Combine all the ingredients and pour the mixture into a glass jar. Refrigerate and use as needed.

It lasts about a month in the fridge.

Warm and shake well before using.

You can make your own garlic vinegar. Slightly heat the vinegar; pour over peeled and sliced garlic, (you choose the amount – I used 5 good-sized cloves)let stand overnight, strain and discard the garlic and combine with remaining ingredients.

16. Jody Wilson says

I do something a little different because I am er, ahem…frugal and lazy. I buy chicken breasts for super cheap at local big box store. When I get home, I get all of my freezer bags ready: I put soy sauce and rice wine vinegar in some and bottled marinade in the rest. Then I pretend I am a skilled butcher and cut up the breasts so that they are all approximately the same thickness so that they grill or cook up evenly. Add the cut up chicken to my bags and I figure they get some of the flavor of the marinades before they freeze and more while I am thawing them out.
    Does anyone else do this? I do the same with steak when I can find it at a great sale price.

17. allie says

Filipina here checking in. Since I literally just learned how to perfect Filipino garlic fried rice with chicken, here’s how:

Heat a few drops of oil in a non-stick pan.(My mom would toss in some old bacon grease she stored in the freezer, just for a bit of flavor, but not a must.) Throw in a generous amount of chopped garlic. Crack an egg and swirl around to scramble it. Add in COLD, DAY OLD rice (brown rice, jasmine, it doesn’t matter). Keep stirring so that the egg scrambles within the rice. Add in shredded cooked chicken or shrimp or heck, both. (I always use leftovers. My mom fried up Spam). Throw in a few drops of low sodium soy sauce and fish sauce (Filipino version is called patis) to taste – you should see the rice turn just slightly brown. Now throw in veggies – frozen peas, shredded carrots. Keep stirring until everything is heated through. Serve hot! Served usually at breakfast with bacon or Spam, or as the rice dish to accompany whatever main dish ended up at the dinner table.

18. Judy East says

It’s always best to start with COLD rice. I don’t scramble my eggs first. I whip the eggs then add them to the rice when everything is done stir. That way you don’t get lumpy eggs. I’ve been frying rice for 60 years.

19. Kathryn says

Terrific! I made this for my family consisting of my husband and five daughters. It was a hit! Especially with my 1-year old. I used a leek instead of the onion, pork stew meat, and threw in leftover broccoli with the carrots and peas. Definitely a keeper! I love your blog. Thanks, Jillee!

20. Joy says

I just made this so I can take some to work tonight and so my hubby can have dinner. It’s fantastic but I’m not sure I will wait for dinner to eat it. Yep it’s that good… Chicken fried rice for breakfast.

I made this for dinner last night and it was a hit. My husband usually does not like recipes that I get on line but he loved this dish. It makes a great deal and there is only the two of us now, so we had enough for another meal along with a salad, Thanks for the new dish, I will be making this again.
    I look forward to your bright emails each day. Anne

• Heather Hinzman says

Corinne,
      Right above where the comments start on the right is a button that says cleanprint with a little green leaf…it will let you remove any sections that you dont want so you can print just the recipe – and the comments are automatically excluded if you print it that way :-) I just used it to print this recipe and it’s just over a half a page!

22. Roxie says

Thank you for the wonderful recipe! I would also like to say that I also appreciate the comments left from other people, the substitutions to try and advice from those who have great tips on technique in cooking a recipe.