Homemade Wipes for Baby, Makeup Removal, and Cleaning!

homemade wipes

WELCOME to “Save My Sanity Saturday” at One Good Thing By Jillee….where I attempt to avoid having a nervous breakdown by actually giving myself a day off from blogging once a week!

Here is an oldie but a goodie from all the way back on September 10, 2011……..

If you’ve read my blog lately…you’ll know I’m kind of on a “homemade” kick. Not necessarily homemade cookies, cakes and buns….but more along the lines of cleaning supplies, beauty products, etc.

I haven’t gone off the deep end and started making my own dishes or shoes or anything like that (of course, never say never!) but more and more I find myself looking for alternatives to the high-priced, over-packaged, chemical-filled stuff. Sure it’s economical, sure it’s the “green” thing to do…but quite frankly…what I like MORE is the feeling of accomplishment and “sticking it to the big corporations” that market this stuff. :-)

One thing I still buy and use are those disposable make-up remover cleansing cloths. I really dislike washing my eye makeup off in the sink with soap and water.  It’s just a messy proposition and I usually end up getting soap in my eyes and melted make up all over the sink, the counter and my white towels!

homemade wipes

Problem is…those makeup remover cloths are EXPEN$IVE! Especially the brand-name ones. So for quite awhile now I’ve been buying the cheapest, store brand ones. But ANOTHER problem is…the cheap ones are CHEAP for a reason.  They aren’t as soft and/or moist as their more expensive rivals. The last couple of months I have started adding my own lotion to them before I use them and it’s been a HUGE improvement! Makeup comes off much easier without unnecessary rubbing and pulling on your delicate eye skin…and it leaves your skin moisturized!

Tonight I saw an idea at WhiteHouseBlackShutters.com for making your own wipes with all-natural ingredients you probably already have on hand.

coconut oil

The main ingredient (besides water) being coconut oil. Coconut oil is a fantastic addition because it contains Lauric Acid, which has natural antimicrobial, antioxidant, antifungal, antibacterial, and soothing properties.

The process is so simple I’m not sure you even need a “tutorial”, but if you’re a VISUAL person and need pictures, here you go!

homemade wipes

homemade wipes

Directions:

Cut a roll of paper towels in half, place each half in a container with a tight-fitting lid, then soak each half with 2 cups warm water and the desired mixture (see below). The ingredients differ only slightly depending on what kind of wipes you’re making.

After you have added the water, snap the lid on (you’ll have to smoosh it a bit to make it fit) and turn it upside down. Wait 5 to 10 minutes then turn the container right side up, take the lid off, and remove the cardboard tube in the center. It should come out easily. Now grab the first towel in the center of the roll and pop it up for easy dispensing!

Recipe for baby wipes:

4 cups warm water (one reader recommends DISTILLED water to inhibit the growth of mold), 1-2 tablespoons Coconut Oil, and 1-2 squirts of baby wash, and/or 20 drops Lavender essential oil.

Recipe for makeup remover wipes:

4 cups warm water, 1-2 tablespoons Coconut Oil, 1-2 squirts of baby wash or favorite face wash, and/or 12 drops Frankincense, 12 drops Melaleuca, 12 drops Lavender essential oils.

Note: A couple of people who have tried this have said their wipes started developing mold within a couple of weeks. A couple of things to try are:  Making smaller batches so you are using them up faster….OR….adding some Melaleuca essential oil, which inhibits the growth of mold. I haven’t had the mold issue…but I live in SUCH a dry state, that might have something to do with it.

Recipe for cleaning wipes:

4 cups warm water, a few drops of your favorite concentrated cleaner, and/or 20 drops Lemon & 20 drops Lavender essential oil.  (Use coupon code JILLEE to save 10% on any Spark Naturals essential oils!)

Making homemade wipes takes just a few minutes of work and saves loads of money!

Share on Facebook387Tweet about this on Twitter9Pin on Pinterest3,493Google+21

Comments

1. D.J. says

I wonder if adding a bit of vitamin E oil would stop the mold problem….or maybe storing in the refrigerator, which might actually feel really good on your face.

• Anna says

I’ve been storing the cleaning wipes in a jar in my fridge recently on here, they’re white and over a week later no mould. For the eye makeup remover I think in the fridge would perhaps even be a benefit helping with puffiness all thought could be a pain trekking to the fridge every evening or trying to remember before you head up stairs. Bacteria etc like a warm environment so even just putting something in a cooler spot will help a little.

• pegt13 says

hi there we been making our own wipes for bathroom use. we have discovered a recipe using baby shampoo,lotion, and vinegar(optional). If you get the water really hot like almost boiling. you won’t have any mold issues. the recipe we found was 1 oz baby shampoo and 1 oz baby lotion to 22 ounces of hot water. we found some breadkeepers from rubbermaid, or if you cut them into using a sharp knife(no serrated edges works well) hope this helps we have been making them for about 1 year now and we love them.( brawny and bounty and scott brand paper towels works great.

I made the makeup remover wipes over a month ago now. I used purified/bottled water, the coconut oil, and two squirts of neutrogena oil free acne wash (b/c my sister had it in the cupboard) and my wipes have not developed mold at all! I bought medline disposable soft washcloths from Amazon.com 500 for $26 and I cut them in half (1000!!!) and put them in an old wipe dispenser and I could not be happier!!! My mascara comes off so much easier than it used to!! I don’t have to rub quite so hard as before and I’m saving TONS! At first I used one and it was really oily and I was worried it woul make me break out since my skin is incredibly oily already, but I tried it again after letting them sit all night and the oily feeling was gone! (I think it just needed to soak in). I will never go back to store bought wipes!!

• Heather Walker says

I also purchased the medline dry cleaning wipes and am using them for everything. I made baby wipes, makeup wipes and granite cleaning wipes. They are an amazing deal and I am so glad that you posted this!

• Jessica Nelson Norem says

I only used these when my son was a baby….electric kitchen knife works wonderfully!!!! ;0)

• mary says

Back in the day when I used to make homemade baby wipes, my husband would cut the paper towel roll in half for me by using his band saw. Worked like a charm.

• Heike says

that’s what i want to know too! tried a knife, boy, i was working on that thing for like 1/2 hour and practically dead at the end. it was a smooth blade (it was sharp before i started, did not have the heart to check after i was done) and the cut was still messy and all dusty and whatnot…
      would good toilet paper work???

3. Cheri says

I currently use the Equate brand of makeup remover cloths from Walmart and I’ve noticed recently that they’ve made them thinner and also less wet. While reading this post, I began to wonder if it would be possible to save the used clothes until I’ve accumulated a sizable amount and then put them in my mesh bra bag that I use to run my bras through the wash. If the cloths stay intact going through the wash, maybe I could reuse them using one of the solution mixtures above? Not sure if it will work, but thought I’d pass it along to anyone else out there that likes to try to be as green as possible.

Btw, I also keep a makeup cloth in my shower and a shower mirror (couldn’t live without it!) to clean up any eye makeup easily since I wear the 30 day contacts and don’t like getting too crazy with the face wash while trying to get my eyeliner and mascara off. It really does make getting it all off much easier when you can see what you’re doing and can use a dampened (from shower water) makeup remover cloth to remove any eye makeup that the face wash doesn’t completely remove.

4. laraina Parker says

Coffee and sugar now come in reusable round plastic containers (in pretty bright colors! ). I think they would be fun to use. Also, I cut foam rubber with an electric knife, thinking it would cut paper towels too.
    Great idea can’t wait try it!

5. Missy says

Does anyone use waterproof mascara? I can’t hardly find find ANY makeup remover that removes waterproof without scrubbing and using tons…May Kay has been the only brand so far. I would much rather make my own IF it works. Also – I think using purified water would be a must. Too much bacteria resides in tap water to sit over that much time with other ingredients that might promote growth. :)

• Terri says

My question too. My skin is super-sensitive and all I’ve found that works well for removing waterproof mascara is the Neutrogena pads in the little round blue container. Then it’s on to Almay foaming face wash for the remainder. Regardless, I have had to stop wearing makeup daily since the removal process becomes painful if used daily. I have a jar of coconut oil and I’m thinking of trying just that to see if it will work….without adding anything else.

I use straight coconut oil to remove eye make-up, even waterproof. You just need to let it ‘soak’ on your lashes for a little longer. Then use a soft cloth (like an old t-shirt scrap) to remove it. Tissues, toilet paper are a little harsh, I would think paper towels would even be worse.

• Nicky says

I use straight coconut oil too, works really well for all makeup, even waterproof. My method is to put the oil on my eyes/eyelashes, let soak in for a few seconds. Then I take a circle cotton pad and wet it, then use that to remove it. Works really well, fast, and is very gentle!

That being said, I would love to give this a try. I would imaging the paper towel wouldn’t be as harsh as expected given it is being soaked in water and oils. Definitly worth a try!

• Alyssa says

I currently use old fashion cold cream – store brand to remove my waterproof mascara. It works well. I put it on “dry” then use a wet (hot water) cotton pad to gently wipe it off. But I am going to give the wipes a try!

• Cheryl Haynes says

I use waterproof mascara also! I found a tiny dab of baby oil on my finger gets it off, slightly rub it on, wipe off with tissue and then I just wash my face. I have been this for 30 years! Its the only thing I found to remove mascara and not eyelashes!!!!!

• jenw says

Sens’Eyes by MakeUpForEver (found at Sephora) is my fave eye makeup remover…hands down. Make up melts off with NO scrubbing, even waterproof mascara. And, it doesn’t leave an oily film on your eye. I’ve tried all kinds of oils out there (coconut, olive, baby) and different commercial products…this is the only one that doesn’t leave an oil slick on my eyeball. It is pricey but you only need the tiniest dab, so it really lasts a long time. Worth the money, IMO!

I’m going to try to make my own remover wipes using cloth wipes…one less paper product! I have some made from OBV and they’re wonderfully soft. I already use them to wipe down my face with warm water in the morning. I think I’ll try to work up a spray (using Jillee’s recipe) and just spray on the wipe as needed.

6. KD says

You could try adding silver dihydrogen citrate to inhibit the growth of bacteria. you can buy it at lotioncrafter, which also has instructions in its’ use :)

7. Tina West says

You could also use Thieves EO in your cleaning cloths for a disinfectant, It would be great to use is someone is sick in the house.

8. MK says

I’m very leary about using paper towels to clean around my eyes, since they are designed to clean countertops, not delicate skin! Think of the toughness of those fibers they are made of! Why not store the solution in a bottle and use it on softer cotton balls/pads.

9. Judy L. says

I’ve been making my own face/body wipes for 7 months now. I half this recipe (2 cups total) and add witch hazel and aloe vera for their soothing properties, and a pinch of Vit E to help prevent the mustiness. I store the solution in a glass jar in the fridge, only using about half a cup poured over the halved paper towels at a time. This solution will usually last about a month if in the fridge. The wipes themselves I just keep in the bathroom cupboard – no batch has lasted beyond two weeks, and since I started adding the Vit E, I haven’t had mustiness within that time. I find a repurposed protein powder container works wonderfully!

1. […] Homemade Makeup Remover Wipes – It’s no use applying all natural makeup if you are simply going to wipe it off with chemical packed wipes. Instead make these all natural makeup remover wipes and keep your face chemical free. Get the full tutorial at OneGoodThingByJille.com here. […]