21 Clever Things You Can Do With A Lint Roller {Besides Rolling Lint}

Lint Roller Uses

If you happened to see my post earlier this week about our Valentine’s Day Dinner you would have noticed there was a great deal of GLITTER involved in the event. Glitter that I am STILL finding 5 days later! At first I attempted cleaning it up with the vacuum but when that proved a woefully inadequate match for the stubborn shiny stuff, I started looking elsewhere for an answer.

That’s when I noticed our trusty lint roller in a kitchen cupboard. I don’t think our house is EVER without a lint roller. The men in this house couldn’t survive a single day without one being available. They have what I can only describe as something akin to an ADDICTION to them. But I digress.

This particular day I was grateful for our heavy reliance on this clothing care tool because it turned out to be the answer to my glitter dilemma. One quick swipe with the sticky stuff and the glitter didn’t stand a chance.

After this miraculous revelation concerning the ubiquitous lint roller, I got to thinking about what ELSE these sheets of wonder could do!

Here is a list of the ideas I dreamed up or found while searching across the world wide web:

1. Craft Room Sanity Saver

As I mentioned above, glitter is one of the hardest things there IS to clean up in ANY room! It sticks to everything and won’t let go! Grab your lint roller and watch the glitter, confetti, etc disappear!

2. Clean Lampshades

This is probably my second favorite way to use a lint roller! Lampshades are frustrating….you can’t throw them in the washing machine, you might not have the right vacuum attachment, and washing them by hand can be time-consuming. Forgo all these and use a lint roller. You will be amazed to see how much dirt and dust you collect.

3. Clean Out Your Handbag

I wish I’d thought of this one a LONG time ago! The bottom of my purse gets filled with random debris. A quick swipe (or two) of the lint roller and crumbs and crusties are history! Don’t forget to try it on your diaper bag, briefcase, backpack, or gym bag as well!

4. Clean Out Drawers

Like handbags and cars, drawers have dark, hard-to-clean crevices that can easily be neglected! Using a lint roller in drawers can help remedy the situation.

5. Quickly Clean Your Carpet or Furniture

Don’t have time to break out the vacuum or thoroughly clean the furniture? Lint rollers are a great quick fix; you can even use them on wood and glass! And since they fit underneath your couch and chairs, you don’t need to move your heavy furniture around. Just roll the lint roller underneath and pull out the dust.

6. Clean Those Hard-To-Reach Crevices Of Your Car

Every car has those hard-to-reach places where sunglasses and cell phones go missing. Every time I retrieve something from the area between my drivers seat and the center console, it always comes up covered with dust and dirt. A mini lint roller is perfect for this clearing that all out!

7. Clean Up Broken Glass

When a glass or plate hits the floor and shatters, it’s almost impossible to thoroughly clean up all the tiny glass shards left behind. You can CAREFULLY use a lint roller to pick up the remaining pieces.

8. Remove Dandruff From Clothes

Lint rollers are a great way for sufferers of dandruff or dry scalps to remove the unsightly white stuff from their clothing.

9. Control Peeling Skin From A Sunburn

I know, sounds kind of gross huh? But it won’t rip your skin off, only the dead skin that’s ready to peel off.

10. Remove Pests From Your Pet

Your dog or cat may not be eager to cooperate, but a good way to quickly get rid of small numbers of fleas and ticks on your pet is to roll a lint roller over their fur. (Make sure it’s not an extra STICKY roller!) It will also pick up any loose fur that could end up on your furniture and clothes.

11. Christmas Tree Clean-Up

Use a lint roller to pick up fallen needles from your Christmas tree.

12. Clean Your Pool Table

Too much dirt and debris on your pool table will slow the balls down, or even redirect their paths. Pet hair is one of the most difficult things to remove without damaging the felt. Too much suction from a vacuum and you will permanently damage the fibers on your pool table surface. Regular brushing combined with a lint remover will keep you at the top of your game.

13. Sewing Room’s Little Helper

Seam ripping leaves hundreds of tiny bits of thread that really cling to the fabric. Run the lint roller over the ripped seam a couple times and, presto, they’re gone.
Drop your pins? Use your lint roller to pick them up quickly. You’re less likely to stick your finger or find them with your foot.
When you don’t have time to vacuum, use your lint roller to pick up threads off your sewing table and the floor around where you sew.

14. Post Haircut Clean-up

Pick up those itchy snips and trims of hair following a haircut.The hair left after a trim/haircut always gets under my skin,

15. Transfer Tape Hack

Use as an alternative to transfer tape when working with smaller vinyl shapes and letters.

16. Dusting Drapes

A quick solution for dusty drapes that will allow you to postpone taking them to the dry cleaner for a few more months.

17. Bug Buster

Ridding your house of bugs and spiders is easier and safer with a lint roller. Simply roll it over the creepy crawlers and dispose of them stuck to the paper.

18. Cleaning Textured Ceilings

If you have a textured ceiling, you know it can get a lot of dirt and grease buildup (little fuzzies all over the ceiling). Use a paint roller with an extender, put a lint roller on each end (they fit perfectly) and the dirt and grime will roll right off!

19. Prep Your Paint Roller

To reduce lint from your paint roller and to create the smoothest finish, go over your roller brushes with a lint roller before each use.

20. Cleaning/Dusting Stuffed Animals

Lint rollers are a great way to scour tiny particles off of a stuffed animal’s fur. It safely gathers up lint and dust, which you then simply toss into the trash can.

Let’s see…….have I forgotten anything???

21. Oh yeah . . . your clothes!

You can use your lint roller like everyone else . . . to roll the lint off of your clothes. But that’s kind of boring.

Now that you know all the awesome things lint rollers can do….and since they are so inexpensive and come in a variety of sizes…..I would recommend keeping one at home, in your purse, your car, and even your desk at work!

Do you have any creative ideas for using a lint roller?

Shop new arrivals at oldnavy.com

Facebook171Twitter11Pinterest1384Google+15

Comments

1. Digifigi says

I have a roller on an extended handle like a paint roller for ceilings that I use to clean the floor in my studio, between thread, glitter, tiny beads, and fabric snips, it picks up everything. I also use it on my design wall ( insulating foam sheets covered with white flannel) to remove the threads so it can be used as a photo backdrop. I was thinking of making a mixed media piece with the sheets titled “From the sewing room Floor”.
    Need to find out more about the transfer tape hack.

2. christy m says

Great ideas. Some of your ideas I’d already heard of. I love
    Lint rollers they’re amazing. One of my favorite uses for them
    Is picking up pet hair. We went through a lot of rollers
    When we had our CAT, picking up cat fur and the clumps of it.

3. Karen says

Wonderful thread! Great ideas.

My paper shredder got jammed so I had to turn it over to clean it out. The bag with the shreddings was also full thus I had little shreds of paper everywhere. I picked up my trust lint remover and ta-dah! … no more paper shreddings all over the carpet.

4. Anita says

Because we have hardwood floors, we put felt pads under chair legs. But those same pads attract dust, hair, etc. Flip the chairs over on the dining table and lint roller to the rescue ! ! !

5. Tina says

I have a dark blue bedspread in the guest room, and sometimes the white cat lays on it, right before company is showing up. Takes too long to do a load of laundry, so I go over the area with a sticky lint brush. Usually takes several sheets, but it is a great touch up!

6. Kimberley says

Those are great tricks. I love the one about textured ceilings! Do you have any tips and tricks for removing my hair from my desk chair? I know I need a hair cut, but my daughter and I are trying to grow our hair out to donate to locks of love (I always jump at the chance to do anything when my children WANT to help others). Love your tips :)

I love my lint rollers! I use them for several tips above like cleaning my purse and lampshades. What a life saver. I also have a large one with an extension handle that I use for my craft room for thread, glitter, etc.. Between vacuuming and it’s great for delicate rugs too!

8. CTY says

Oh Boy! I love lint rollers.
    I like to make DIY giant post-it notes (12″x 12″) with the sheets from a mini roll; cover the exposed side with wax paper until ready to stick. It works like a charm when hanging those self printed computer banners too.
    Use as a sheet of double stick tape to test the look before using Mod Podge.
    Make really good, temporary custom T shirts stickers. Print your design, back with sticky sheets, cover the exposed side with wax paper; cut out the design, peel & stick. Just make sure it is removed completely before washing & drying or it can get bad–trust me on this.
    As a teacher I can list scads of uses. My favorite, for the glue impaired (which is 95% of ) middle school students, is making collages. It makes the homework collage a snap; especially if still assembling during breakfast (there is no drying time). It works well for mixed media art too; just be conscious of the weight of the item being attached.
    Stick index cards with information just about anywhere, great for arrows pointing the way through a building or scavenger hunt.
    I made a chart with samples of different grains & seeds attached.
    To update the progress on one of those over sized thermometer goal charts.
    Use it whenever you are out of/need a lot of double sided tape.

Thank you “J” for all the good things you bring us on your web site! ALSO, I would like to tell you that not only does the “sticky roller” remove “dead bugs and fleas” from your pet but I have an adorable small built JackRussell that sheds when she’s under stress, wrong diet or just plain hot here in our Arizona weather. I, run the roller or her and then brush her little short coat and then roll it over her little body once again. It does work for awhile until I can get her bathe in the next few days, and it works well when traveling in the car. She is not a good traveler and becomes anxious so that is one little soother that helps her plus a “relax treat”. Thanks again for you great web site!
    Si

10. Sheila says

I thought you were talking about the lint rollers that you rinse off after you use it. Those are much more environment-friendly. I got a set of 3–the smallest is purse size. I think these are more practical.

11. Tina says

The tip about rolling over spiders cracked me up. I am not afraid of spiders but I have a lot of friends who are and they would not get close enough to a spider to run a lint roller over it! Some of them actually hide in other rooms and close the door, like the spider is going to run after them and attack them! LOL. Lots of great tips though!

12. Comet says

I sell vintage clothing and before I use a re-cycled box I run the roller over the clothes and then over the INSIDE of the box to catch any stray pet hair or stuff that might attach to the items. Even if I place them in plastic bags sometimes a hair or so might get on something.

Another hair remover—shower squeegee. Use for your upholstered items and your floors–even after vacuuming I am astonished at how MUCH pet hair comes up. Some rugs etc have a NAP–and not the one you might think you see!—with using these so check each direction. (Also good on human hair—prevents clogging of vacuums!)

13. Donna H. says

Please don’t lint roller the spiders and bugs that are alive!! Yikes. As much as I dislike spiders and bugs in my house, I try to catch them and let them go outside. I get the heebie jeebies from the insects but I do it anyway.

Of course, it is snowy and 10 degrees here today so the spider would freeze outside. Those poor little guys can’t catch a break! :-)

14. Vicki Klamm says

I get knots in my back under my scapula. One day I stuck the lint roller to my back (vertically) while I was in the car and could roll it and use it as pressure as I pushed against the car seat. It worked wonderfully since I could stick it where I needed it.

Enjoyed finding new ideas! I have 4 cats and quilt.When a quilt is completed, I use the long handled roller twice each way over the QUILT. Quilt is on plastic tablecloth half,use other half to cover when clean and roll clean quilt up to keep any more fur from attaching to the QUILT.

16. Tammy Craddick says

Hi Jillee!
    Thanks for all the clever tips. Here are a few more- I use my lint roller to pick up beads or sequins if I spill them. It is also great to hold seed beads for me till I get ready to thread them onto my jewelry creations, much easier than picking them up one by one! I also use my lint roller to get dried grass off my dog’s sweaters.

17. Kat says

1. I sell clothes on eBay… always use lint roller to make sure no hair or fuzzies attached before shipping out.

2. Keep a lint roller on my porch to clean outdoor furniture.

3. And I keep one on hand when my toddler grandson comes for a visit. Amazing what his knees can pick up on my clean floor. :) Lint roller to the pants. He thinks it’s funny.

18. Karol says

I have a long handled paint roller and put two lint rollers on. I have carpet in my sewing room so must use it to pick up threads, etc before vacuuming. If you forget and get threads or anything else wound around the vacuum roller, use a single edge razor blade CAREFULLY or scissors if you can get the tip under the threads, to made a crosswise cut. Then you can pull the threads off easily.

Great lint roller ideas, esp. for someone with arthritis because you can no longer pick up tiny up thin items like appt. cards that you are forever dropping. Beats looking for the tape, yardstick to retrieve little things, etc. which I now do. Also easier on sore joints than brushing furniture. Thank you.

Fantastic goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely wonderful.
    I actually like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what
    you’re saying and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and
    you still care for to keep it smart. I can’t wait to read far more from you.
    This is really a tremendous web site.