Make Your Own Reusable Cleaning Rags

Reusable Cleaning Rags

I know I’ve probably said it a million times already, but I just LOVE making my own homemade cleaning products! It’s so easy to do and so rewarding. Not to mention how much better they are for you and your family and how much more economical. There really is no downside here.

Making your own cleaning rags that are ready when you need them and can be used over and over again is just a great idea. It makes me feel good every time I reach for one. Unlike the guilt I feel when I reach for a paper towel. ;-)

If you feel the same way….let me share with you this super simple “recipe” I borrowed from my sister Rebecca’s website – Camp Wander. :-)

Reusable Cleaning Rags

DIY Reusable Cleaning Rags

adapted from Camp Wander

Reusable Cleaning Rags

Layer rags in a large glass jar. Mix together all of the ingredients together and pour over the rags.

Reusable Cleaning Rags

To use: wring out and clean cupboards, countertops, or children…with confidence. Wash and reuse!

Reusable Cleaning Rags

Pretreated cleaning rags save time and energy. After you try them you will wonder how you lived without them. :-)

Use coupon code “jillee” to receive 10% off any Spark Naturals essential oils order.

Reusable Cleaning Rags

OTHER HOMEMADE CLEANING SOLUTIONS YOU MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN:

Facebook115Twitter7Pinterest2423Google+15

Comments

1. Jeanne says

The problem with this recipe, though, is that adding vinegar to liquid castile soap can de-saponify the soap and basically curdle the liquid soap. (I found this out the hard way, with an oily mess in my spray bottle after making a DIY spray cleaner that had liquid castile soap and vinegar in it.) The Dr Bronner’s website even has a page about it, at: http://lisa.drbronner.com/?p=292

• Sarah C says

Nice to know, think I’ll replace the castile soap with liquid hand or dish soap (and since my dish soap is the ultra concentrated kind I’ll reduce to 2 tsp instead of 2 TBSP if I end up using the dish soap – which I probably will)

• Sarah says

I wish I’d read this before I mixed mine up! I put the vinegar in first and noticed that the mixture curdled. Ew! Then I tried using the hot water first and the vinegar last, which worked, but now I see if you mix the soap and vinegar they cancel out the cleaning power of both. Oh well. I’m sure the surfaces I just cleaned aren’t dirtier than they were before and the essential oils gave me the added bonus of clearing my sinuses! I will use a different recipe next time.

2. Sarah C says

Any particular reason why it has to be a GLASS jar? I have plenty of large plastic tubs with lids that I’ve saved from protein powder, is there a reason one of those would not work?

• Sarah C says

I followed the link back to the Camp Wander site, where the original recipe is – it says to mix all the ingredients and then dump over the rags; ring out the rags and then store them. So my plan is to save the solution in a separate jar out in the garage so that after the rags are all used, I can wash them and then just use the leftover solution to rewet the rags. Seems like it would be less waste that way.

• Gwyn says

The company that does the mass emails was having server issues but I got emails this morning so perhaps it’s all been fixed? If not it isn’t you and they are working on it. :)

It should all be fixed now! Gwyn is right – my email provider had a mass outage. If you subscribe you other blogs you might not have gotten their emails for a few days either. I’m crossing my fingers that there won’t be any more problems.

3. Rita says

I have been using a recipe found on this site several years ago. Cut up an old towel and serged the edges. This recipe is 3/4C water, 2 T amonia, 1/4 C alcohol,
    calls for 2T Dawn. That is way to sudsy for me so I exchange half or more of the Dawn with Fabuloso. I also add some homemade citrus enzyme cleaner for an extra boost. I put the cloths in a zip lock bag & pour the solution on – saves space in an RV.

4. Kazamalinda says

I see you have redone your site im not sure how many issues you are having but i have recieved the same E-mail three times so far tonight and the new site isnt very mobile friendly

Interesting post though random question why do you choose Spark oils over other brands?

• Gwyn says

After checking into them thoroughly with her sister (the oil expert) they were convinced the quality was excellent and they felt the prices more affordable and accessible to everyone. It’s worth checking Spark out which you can do through the link on this page but I know both Jillee and Rebecca would say as long as you know they are high quality 100% pure any company’s you have or chose to use is great.

Another wonderful DIY Jillee! Thanks! I used vinegar that I had infused with orange peels and lemon and tea tree EOs. It smells wonderful, but the Dr. Bronner’s “curdled”. I strained it out and added in a tablespoon of Ivory soap (figuring that at least some of the Dr. B’s was in the mix already) that I melted and it works great. As an unexpected benefit, my hands don’t feel dry, they feel soft and moisturized :)

6. Michele says

I just made a bunch of these….they turned out just fine. I used them to clean the bathroom, and it took the soap scum off of the tile with no problem! I’m glad I save mayonnaise jars! ;)

7. Julie says

Made these as listed. I mixed everything & put the Castile in last. Nothing curdled, but the water was cloudy when I made them last night. Today it is clear. My square jar was big enough for 10 rags & the liquid. I’ve used quite a few of them around the house today. Nice to not need a bottle & a rag, just ring out & use. The only thing it didn’t work well on was a vanity that has some hairspray buildup from the last week. As a daily wipe to keep it from building up this will be perfect. It was even perfect on the Swiffer handle to touch up the kitchen floor. Thanks for another keeper, Jillee.

8. Regina says

Can this be used on granite? I saw some comments saying you shouldn’t use it on granite.
    Also, would microfiber cloths work with this? I have a bunch of those so I wouldn’t have to buy rags!!
    Thanks!

I don’t think you are supposed to use vinegar on granite – but I don’t have granite counters so I might be wrong! I wouldn’t use microfiber cloths for this. With microfiber you want to clean with just the cloth and water. I’m not sure how it would affect the cloths is you soaked them in soap.

9. Linda says

I mixed up a batch of this yesterday and love the way it cleaned our painted cabinets. I will be testing on our “Trillium” countertops next. Thank you for this post.