Make Your Own Rosemary Mint Fabric Softener

Rosemary Mint Fabric Softener

WELCOME to “Save My Sanity Saturday” at One Good Thing By Jillee….where I attempt to avoid having a nervous breakdown by actually giving myself a day off from blogging once a week! Please pull up a chair, sit back, and enjoy an “oldie but goodie” from the One Good Thing By Jillee archives.

—-Originally posted on February 16, 2012—-

Have you ever told someone that you make your own (fill in the blank) and they look at you like you’ve lost your mind?

Don’t worry, it happens to me all the time. :-) Even amongst family!

Take my sister Rebecca for example. Even though she’s one of the biggest “fans” of One Good Thing By Jillee…I don’t think she’s ever actually TRIED any of the homemade laundry and cleaning products I have posted about.

That is UNTIL NOW!

This is what she posted on her Facebook page a couple of days ago (I’m hoping she doesn’t mind me sharing):

I confess to being a laundry product snob…I love Caldrea, its green, scented w/ essential oils and pricey. But I love it! Today I ran out of my softener *pout*. A serious situation to be facing on the weekend, Amazon can’t me more until Tues! So, I followed my sisters example (One Good Thing by Jillee), and made her favored DIY fabric softener: Vinegar, water and Rosemary Mint Sauve conditioner. Thats it! 3 ingredients. Holy Caldrea…I love it!! Clothes smelled great and felt even better. I am a believer, goodbye Caldrea…Ive got this now :)

Woo hoo…another “believer” is born! ;-) PLUS…she came up with a new scent for homemade fabric softener to try! Rosemary Mint! As much of a fan as I am of my Lavender scented stuff….the Rosemary Mint idea intrigued me!

So, since I was about to run out of my fabric softener I decided to make one batch of each…and now I have a WHOLE LOTTA fabric softener! lol. But I have to tell you….if you are fond of Rosemary and Mint…you will want to try this!

Rosemary Mint Fabric Softener

Here is the recipe from the original post:

Homemade Fabric Softener

Ingredients:

Rosemary Mint Fabric Softener

Directions:

1. Mix water, vinegar, and hair conditioner in a 1 gallon container; stir. Do not shake it; it will cause foaming.
2. Use the same amount you normally use in a rinse cycle or spritz it on a wash cloth and throw in dryer.

Rosemary Mint Fabric Softener

As a matter of fact…I decided more of my “doubting” friends needed to try it too….so I poured some of it into large mason jars and attached a “recipe” card telling them how they can make it!

Rosemary Mint Fabric Softener

To all my “doubting” friends….you have been warned.  Beware of visitors bearing mason jars! YOU might just be the next BELIEVER! :-)

Share on Facebook201Tweet about this on Twitter14Pin on Pinterest2,772Google+7

Comments

1. Cindy says

Thank you so much for sharing! I wish I were one of your friends because I would LOVE a mason jar full of homemade… anything. :)

This will make sure that your recipients have a very big selection on where you should go.

Look for specials like free delivery and BOGOF’s (purchase one get one free)
    as the stores are each competing for your pounds. So one begins looking at stores – or does one.

The best reason to provide such a card is that you may have
    your gift have a certain vibe or send some message, based on the recipient’s
    personality in addition to their life circumstance.
    A $5 gift certificate might not look like much, but Blingo has awarded hundreds, or even thousands,
    of the Amazon. I slowly found out that they can don’t do whatever
    they claimed.

4. feroza says

hi I live in south -Africa. what other conditioner can I use .I doubt very much I will get it in my supermarkets.thxs

• Sarah Christensen says

Feroza, any brand of conditioner should work, Suave is one of the least expensive brands in the US (a large 24-fl-oz bottle generally costs less than $2.50 USD where I live in So. California which is one of the more costly areas to live. I’m certain the same size costs $1 less elsewhere!), so I think whatever you can find there in South Africa will work just fine.

Actually, any conditioner that you love the smell of will work. Sometimes I even add a few drops of a perfume or extract to enhance the smell. Instead of adding it to my rinse (which I can never seem to catch in time) I reuse dryer sheets by putting them in an old butter container and pouring the solution I made on top of them. Then just squeeze out most of solution and toss sheet into dryer. works for me and the family loves the different scents on their clothes. I also half this recipe. Hope this helps!

• Hephzibah says

An old flannel or cotton shirt or garment will work well as a reuseable dryer sheet too, pour softener on them and store in an air tight container, ring out and toss in dryer. Wash if you like or use again.

The best reason to offer this kind of card is you can have your gift
    possess a certain vibe or send a particular message, depending upon the recipient’s personality
    in addition to their life circumstance. Solid marketing is
    the only way to earn money with any business.
    com that lets you sell Walmart gift cards or gift cards from any
    place that issued gift cards in the United States or
    Canada.

This will make sure that your particular recipients possess
    a wide range on where you can go. A $5 gift certificate may well not appear like much, but Blingo has awarded hundreds, if not thousands, of these
    Amazon. So one begins looking at stores – or does one.

7. Amy says

I’ve been using this recipe with Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Conditioner. I love the smell and it’s 92% biodegradable! Full disclosure: I originally picked this product because it had been abandoned under my sink for awhile. It’s not the best on hair. Been great in the laundry, though!

8. christy m says

I like this idea. Name brand softeners are so expensive. I love that this one is very cheap to make. I would always forget to
    Listen for the rinse cycle, so what I started doing was using an old downy fabric softener ball. There designed to automatically released the detergent in the rinse cycle.

9. Maryanne says

I’ve been making this for several years now. I use VO5 conditioner as it’s the cheapest in my area. I can usually find it for about 99 cents…and then use a coupon to bring it down in prince. I especially love when they have the buy one get one free sales…and I can stock up~~ my best sale was a BOGO coupon stack where I got 8 bottles for $2.08!! OH…another thing to note…..if you run out of conditioner, you can use either just plain white vinegar ( the smell dissapates as it drys) or add essential oil =)
    ….

10. Laura says

Love this;) Make it all the time! I’ve also used lotion in place of the conditioner, which isn’t as cheap but I had some given to me as a gift that I didn’t really like. Well that’s not totally true. As fabric softener it’s great. I just didn’t really care for it as lotion.