Even the most ordinary of household items can turn out to be endlessly versatile, and that is certainly true of mesh laundry bags. I’ve been using the simple zippered bags for years now to protect delicate items in the wash, but recently, I’ve been finding loads of great new ways to use them. (Just a bit of laundry humor there for you!)
From keeping your laundry organized to washing unexpected items, these tips are sure to make mesh laundry bags your new favorite thing. (And for those who don’t own any, you just might find yourself wanting a set!)
After inquiring with a few of my friends and family members, I realized that not everyone even owns mesh laundry bags, let alone uses them in unconventional ways! So consider this post a PSA because I’ve got 17 practical uses for mesh laundry bags to share with you.
Which Mesh Laundry Bags Should I Buy?
I’m a bit biased, but I absolutely love the new mesh laundry bags now available in my shop! They not only look great, but they’re sturdy, effective, and thoughtfully designed, too. Here’s a quick look at the highlights:
- Sturdy honeycomb mesh construction
- Protective elastic zipper sleeve
- Available in 2 useful sizes:
- Small (10.25″ x 9.5″ x 4″) – Perfect for bras, socks, underwear, etc., with expandable sides for added capacity
- Large (16″ x 19.5″) – Flat and roomy, great for chunky sweaters and other bulky items
- Both sizes available in sets of 3 bags
17 Uses For Mesh Laundry Bags
1. Wash More Than Laundry
With mesh laundry bags, you can use your washing machine to clean a lot more than just clothes and linens! These are just a few unexpected things you can clean in your washing machine:
- Sheepskin Boots: If your Uggs have seen better days, start by brushing off surface dirt, then zip them into a mesh laundry bag. Wash them with a couple of bath towels on a gentle cycle with cold water, then remove promptly and fluff up the fleece lining. Let them air dry overnight and they’ll be clean and ready to wear.
- Canvas Shoes and Sneakers: To get your favorite sneakers looking like new, remove the laces, then place both the laces and shoes into a mesh laundry bag. Wash them with a couple of bath towels, then let them air dry completely before wearing again.
- Backpacks and Gym Bags: Use mesh laundry bags to keep bags with straps contained while they’re in the wash. After washing, hang the bag to dry.
- Pet Collars and Leashes: Pet accessories can get grimy in a hurry! Wash nylon collars and leashes safely in a mesh bag to keep them looking and smelling clean and fresh.
- Hair Accessories: Hair ties, scrunchies, and other hair accessories can accumulate unseen buildup over time, but cleaning them is easy with the aid of a mesh bag. Just zip them into the bag and toss it in with the rest of your laundry!
- Small Toys: Keep your little one’s toys clean and germ-free. Use a mesh laundry bag to clean plastic and silicone toys — most stuffed animals can be safely washed in a mesh laundry bag, too! Wash them on a delicate cycle with cold water.
2. Safely Wash Delicate Garments
You can actually break the rules on the tags of your favorite garments! Here are a few things you can wash in the washing machine with a mesh bag:
- Dry Clean Only Clothes: Who says you can’t machine wash ‘dry clean only’ items? The key is to treat them gently. Place these delicate pieces in a mesh laundry bag to shield them from the rough-and-tumble of the wash cycle. Opt for your machine’s delicate setting with cold water. This approach can be a real lifesaver, especially for those last-minute laundry needs!
- Hand Wash Items: Bypass the time-consuming task of hand washing. Securely place these items in a mesh laundry bag to prevent damage and wash them on your machine’s delicate cycle. This method is surprisingly effective and gentle, maintaining the integrity of your delicate fabrics while saving you precious time.
3. Protect Microfiber Cloths
4. Minimize Wear And Snagging
Use mesh bags for washing items with hooks or Velcro. This keeps other garments safe from snags and extends the life of fastenings.
5. Never Lose Another Sock
End the mystery of the missing socks! By zipping all your socks into a mesh laundry bag before washing and drying, you ensure they stay in pairs and don’t disappear.
6. Prevent Tangles And Knots
Tired of untangling leggings and tights? A mesh bag keeps these and other items like slips and swimsuits from getting twisted and knotted during the wash.
7. Keep Air-Dry Items Separate
Sort items that require air drying by placing them in a mesh bag before washing. This makes it easy to pull them out before putting the rest of the load into the dryer.
8. Simplify Laundry Sorting
Streamline laundry day by assigning a mesh bag to each family member. This simplifies sorting post-wash and ensures everyone’s items stay together.
9. Clean More In Your Dishwasher
Using your dishwasher is a great way to keep things clean without a lot of extra effort on your part. But small items can be tricky because dishwasher racks will allow small stuff to fall through quite easily. But not if you put them in a mesh laundry bag first!
- Small Items: This works well for keeping kitchen items like measuring cups, mason jar lids, and other small items that tend to get lost in the dishwasher.
- Instant Pot Lid Parts: The lid of the Instant Pot doesn’t contain any electronics, so it’s safe to wash it in the top rack of your dishwasher. Just make sure to remove the small parts from the lid before doing it. Place the small parts in a zippered mesh laundry bag before putting them in your dishwasher so you don’t lose track of them!
- Plastic Toys: You can also use a mesh laundry bag to safely clean non-kitchen items in your dishwasher, like LEGOs and other plastic toys. The mesh bag will keep them safe and sound, and they be clean in no time!
10. Organize Puzzles & Games
Keep puzzle pieces and game components from getting lost by storing them in mesh bags.
11. Store Bath & Pool Toys
A mesh bag is an affordable and effective solution for storing and drying bath and pool toys, reducing clutter and mildew risk.
12. Store Sports Equipment
Let mesh bags serve as breathable storage for sports equipment, allowing sweaty gear to air out and reduce odors.
13. Use As Produce Bags
Swap plastic for mesh bags when buying produce, a sustainable choice that’s better for the environment.
14. Dry & Store Garden Produce
Utilize mesh bags for drying bulbs and other garden items, facilitating air circulation and preventing rot. Mesh bags are also ideal for storing onions and potatoes, allowing airflow and reducing spoilage.
15. Dry Dishes While Camping
Use mesh bags to dry dishes outdoors while camping, saving space and time.
16. Store Sandy Toys
Make beach trips less messy by storing toys in a mesh bag, allowing sand to sift out.
17. Keep Luggage Contents Organized
Keep dirty clothes organized on trips with mesh bags, simplifying laundry upon return home.
What other uses for mesh laundry bags would you add to this list?