Goodbye to Yellow Armpit Stains!

armpit stains

You may have seen this picture of the spilled red wine posted on Pinterest or other sites around the web lately. It’s from an online article at Glamour.com and the title is:

The Only Spot Remover You’ll Ever Need.

Well that definitely got MY attention…because I had JUST the “spot” to test this “spot remover” on. Lately the undershirt/t-shirts my boys wear have been bugging me to no end! They are relatively NEW t-shirts…but after a few times wearing them playing basketball or whatever boys do to get all sweaty and disgusting….the underarm areas are all stained yellow!
The BEFORE and AFTER’s are QUITE amazing…….especially considering I had tried everything I could possibly think of to get them white again.

Wine StainThe online article describes the stain remover mixture as consisting of one part Dawn dishwashing liquid mixed with two parts HYDROGEN PEROXIDE  (which of course I have OODLES of for making my Miracle Cleaner).

The author then goes on to say you pour the mixture directly on the stain, and watch it disappear like MAGIC.”

armpit stains

I knew the stains on my boys t-shirts were uber STUBBORN (since even pouring straight bleach on them hadn’t worked previously)…so I used the above “recipe” PLUS added some baking soda (of course!) for the extra scrubbing element…and I used a small laundry brush to work the whole concoction into the stain for a few minutes.  After that I walked away and let the whole thing sit there for an hour or so and then laundered as usual.

And here are the “hard to argue with” results!

armpit stains

SUCCESS!!!

As I HOPE you can see in these photos….the difference was actually quite amazing and very encouraging! Can’t wait to try it on more clothes that have been hiding in my closets, too embarrassed to come out.

======================

UPDATE: 11/20/2011

There have been a few comments posted inquiring whether you can use this on colored clothes too. This weekend I decided to put it “to the test” on an old DARK BLUE t-shirt of mine that had some grease spots on the front that I have tried EVERYTHING I could think of to get out…to no avail.

armpit stains

As you can see….no ill effects (ie. fading/bleaching of the color!) The mixture I scrubbed on with the brush above was 1 tsp. Dawn dishwashing detergent, 3-4 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide, and a couple tablespoons of baking soda.  Pretty pleased with this since this is an OLD shirt that I just hadn’t got around to throwing out. Now I don’t have to! :-)

armpit stains

Share on Facebook3,831Tweet about this on Twitter106Pin on Pinterest2,826,650Google+62

Comments

• Rking says

Does anyone know how to remove a sticky substance from a shirt? Have tried everything I can think of. Nothing seems to work. I really like this shirt.

• Jae says

Have you tried ice?? I remember my mom would use it to take him off our clothes when we were younger.

• Rach says

I know it sounds weird, but peanut butter. Dogs got into a flytrap and got the sticky residue over them and my couch. Worked like a charm.

• Terezia says

peanut butter! we had to do this all the time when I was young. Also gets it out of hair :)

• dwayne says

Apply oil (any common vegetable oil may do) in sufficient quantity….let it be for abt 20 minutes.

then just take the gum off patiently….

Peanut butter also does the work cuz of presence of oil in it… SO basically veg oil is what u need to apply

NOTE: ALSO USEFUL TO REMOVE GUM OFF OF THE HAIR!!!!

• Tricia Littlejohn says

To get gum or sticky stuff out of clothes; web address: un-du.com. This stuff got gun out of a shirt that had been washed and dried.

• Kayla says

Goo Gone…will take everything off. Put a little on the spot that needs removed, let it sit for a few minutes the carefully scrape off. I had glitter glue on my pants (I’m a teacher & keep this stuff in my classroom!!) and did this, worked wonderfully. It did take a little white to get it all, but a little goo gone and little scraping. Much cheaper than buying a new pair!

• Cynthia says

Much cheaper than GooGone, though, is plain vegetable oil. Peanut Butter works because of the oils in it…so if you don’t want to waste your PB and risk further staining your clothes, try plain vegetable oil!

• Karen says

in it makes the difference over plain oil. Take the section of hair with gum, put some peanut butter on top and underneath, rub it between your fingers and thumb; when it starts melting and breaking up the gum, use a throw away cloth or paper towel to rub away. Repeat as needed according to how much gum is stuck. You can also gently comb through the section as it loosens up to speed up the process.
        No scissors or missing hair and no more naps with gum in your mouth!

• Vicki says

My granddaughter received 2 hand-me-down dresses with awful orange looking stains on them. I tried this MIRACLE stain remover. The dresses look like new! Wish I had taken before and after photos! Thank you for sharing!

• EDC says

We (I) have got gum out our daughters hair mmm several times with peanut butter. Slap it on- let it set- and comb it out. Ugh. Also on numerous about of clothing and other items around the house… Slap some peanut butter on the cloth and toss it in the freezer then scrape it with a spoon.

• Janice Heverling says

It also works for DVD’s with scratches on them. Just put a little bit of Goo Gone on a cotton ball and rub it on the disk, then wipe it off well with a dry cloth. Works great!!!!

• Melissa says

Instead of store bought goo gone…use equal parts of coconut oil and baking soda…this mixture is more amazing than the actual goo gone!

• Julie says

Probably smells a lot better, too! ;-) Also, Lestoil works wonders on most spots, too. (sold at Wal-Mart)

• Denise Muill says

Pinesol. I sat on Gum and this worked like a charm. I disolved the gum right off my jeans. Try it!!

• Liz Salomone says

I use a product called Lestoil for sticky and greasy. lipstick, ink, grass, shirt collars, blood, almost anything! It’s hard to find where I live (Nevada) but I buy bottles of it when I visit family back east!!!

Someone once taught me…an oil removes an oil… This product is oil based (Lest-oil) and seems to do the trick!

Good luck!

• dee says

Try wetting it then stick it into the freezer to freeze if it is like gum is should start to crack and then you can just peel it off.

• Sandra says

When gum gets stuck on clothes, I put a piece of napkin or paper over it and put a hot iron over it. I keep ironing it while moving the paper clean every time. It completely gets rid of the gum.

• Ophelia says

This also works for removing wax from fabric/textile items. It is how you get wax from carpet. I use brown paper bag to cover the wax & keep ironing until I get no more wet spot & the wax will be all gone! I learned it in an art course I took in high school, since it is how you do batik fabric dying. You put wax in the fabric in that case, on purpose, as a relief agent for fabric dye & then iron it out to remove it from the fabric when you are done painting.

• Suzanne says

try Goo Gone. That stuff works great on taking gum out of hair, too. My daughter was at her wits end trying to get gum out of my granddaughter’s hair and was ready to “Cut it out” when we finally tried Goo Gone. I was AMAZED how well it worked in her hair. However, if the gum is mashed into the fibers of the fabric, it might not get it to come out. Worth a try, though.

• Karen says

There’s a product called Goof Off, and another called Goo Gone–they both work great on sticky substances. I used the Goof Off to remove tree sap that my little boy had gotten on a brand new sweatshirt.

• Anna says

Sticky substances can be removed with WD 40. I know that sounds strange, but we used to use it to get up chewing gum from carpet. Hubby was a carpet cleaner. To take ink stains out of carpet Laquer, the old Aqua Net Hair Spray. To take Lipstick out of carpet we used fingernail polish remover. Always worked and never had a problem with removing color. Also Dawn Dishwashing liquid made by Proctor and Gamble is the same as the Fairy Frost in the UK. Just different labels for different countries. And Biz makes a presoak that will take underarm yellow stains out! It isn’t majorly expensive either. Then again none of the items I use are! lol

• Angie says

Yes, WD-40 does work, but leaves a horrible chemical smell. I only use it on non-porous surfaces to remove stickers and such so the smell doesn’t linger afterwards. Cooking oil and peanut butter works just as well, without all the chemicals :)

• Christine says

The active ingredient in WD-40 is fish oil. Perhaps it wouldn’t be as offensive as the chemically smell. :)

• peggy says

Once an ink pen got stuck in a hole inside back of dryer with POINT out while drying all of my white nursing uniforms. I had streaks galore of ink and I used pump bottle of hairspray on them. WHEW! Saved me cost of replacing them all.

I use doTERRA essential oils for my families natural medicine and one drop of our lemon oil will dissolve anything! Also because its completely pure of synthetics it won’t stain clothing :-)

• Ophelia says

I think it is likely true that your lemon oil works…I wouldn’t say being free of synthetics is why it doesn’t stain. As a busy mom of little kiddos, most of our stains are natural in the first place – blueberries, cherries, etc. :) So natural doesn’t mean it won’t & synthetic doesnt’ mean it will. ;) I am allll for natural products & use them whenever I can, which is the vast majority of the time, but I also know that we have plenty of naturally occurring stains around here. :P We even have used beets & such to create stains, on purpose at times, as part of our homeschool studies.

• Tiffany says

I have this stuff called “Goo Gone” that I use to take residue from price tags off of things. Maybe that would work. I bought it at WalMart. It comes in a spary bottle. It’s all natural, so I can’t imagine it would harm the garment. Good luck!

• Hollie says

One of my girls left a sticker on her fleece sweater and it got washed and dried before I noticed. Sometimes you can stick tape onto the spot and rip off the sticky stuff. Keep at it with a new piece of tape after each rip. If that doesn’t work, try WD-40. Let it soak into the fabric. If it is a smooth fabric you can scrape the sticky spot with a plastic scraper. If it is not a smooth fabric, just let the WD-40 soak in and wash the garment in the machine. Do NOT put into the dryer yet. Repeat if necessary until the sticky stuff is gone. Now you will need to use some Dawn or other such cleaner on the oily spot left by the WD-40.

• Debbie says

Try using ice on it to harden, pick off as much as you can, then iron on low with a paper towel over it. I got gum off a pair of shorts this way, had to alternate the ice/hot a couple of times but it worked.

• Teresa says

I have had good luck with spraying the sticky spot with Goo Gone and then washing as usual.

• cm says

rub a small amount of oil followed by a dash of vinegar. this works for me on regular surfaces instead of goo gone.

• Angie says

Rubbing alcohol will take off sticky stuff – I used it on a pair of pants of my daughters that had tree sap on them – yuk. A little rubbing alcohol on a toothbrush and it came right off!

• MC says

Have you ever tried peanut butter or baby oil? You can apply some on the stain and leave it for a while. Then you remove the excess peanut butter or blot the baby oil, generously saturate the spot with stain remover (like spray ‘n wash) and wash normally. Good luck! :)

• Venessa P says

JR: My hubby uses deodorant sans antiperspirant. The antiperspirant irritates his skin. The armpit stains he has aren’t yellow….they’re BLUE! I’ve not used this stain remover (yet), but I will to see if it takes out the blue pit stains!

• Georgie says

I hate to tell you this, but using deodorant w/o antiperspirant does not prevent yellow armpit stains. I haven’t used antiperspirant for a dozen or more years and my white shirts still get yellow stains in the armpit area. Sad, but true. I am now trying this concoction to see if it works! Here’s hoping!

• Ophelia says

Agreed. While anti-persperant *might* make it happen faster (I really couldn’t say as I don’t know) it is not *the* cause for yellowing. My husband yellows & stiffens even his shirt collars & I can promise you, he puts NOTHING there that could cause it. Not even cologne. I don’t starch his collars & I know he isn’t starching a thing…ever.

• Mom of 7 says

Fels-Naptha bar of soap that can be found in the cleaning section at Wal-Mart works well also on grease, baseball pants, and yellow stains. Just wet down garment, rub soap across it, scrub with hand, rinse, then throw it in with laundry. You may have to repeat, but it is well worth it. This can be used on colored clothes also.
      I am posting this on my daughter’s Pinterest because if I switch to mine, I won’t find it again. Thanks so much for your tip. I will try it right away!

• martina says

I need to know how to get a stain out of carpet that was from a Scentsy (melted red wax) light? My son knocked it over. Red wax all over the carpet. It is not hard, just pinkish stain will not come out.

• wendy says

place a papert towel over the wax stain and iron over the paper towel … the heat from the iron will melt the wax into the paper towel

• Julie says

Just be sure and not hold the iron on the spot too long or it will melt the carpet…I’ve done that before thinking it was somehow protected when ironing on a towel.

• Theresa says

Clear Windex will take almost anything out of a carpet…including black permanent marker (Sharpie)! Just spray on the stain and let sit 5 minutes then blot. May have to repeat (I only had to repeat once with the sharpie stain).

• Ophelia says

Goo gone took black shoe polish out of my carpet. I will warn you though, I also got a LOT of color of the carpet on my towel. It did not show on my carpet, even though the carpet itself had a strong color. It showed no fade afterward…but I didn’t care at the time if it did fade it. Nothing else was making a dent in the huge black smear & faded carpet still looks better than that. Dh had dropped a smallish chunk of shoes polish on the floor (without realizing it) and then stepped in it repeatedly while polishing shoes & hadn’t noticed until it was way too late. I think without Goo Gone we’d have had to replace the carpet. It was a hideous looking mess.

• bessie says

for candle wax…or any wax as far as that goes…take an old sheet towel whatever you would rather replace other than the carpet and your iron…place dry cloth on carpet…turn iron on low and go to town… you will have to move the cloth around a few times to suck it all up but it really does work…and the amonia mixture on pinterest with the iron works great as well!

1. felina says

I was wondering can you mix this up and spray on as needed? This sounds great and I can't wait to try it. Also, does it matter which Dawn you use?

• sy says

The hydrogen peroxide doesn’t keep more than a day or two. Hydrogen peroxide is H2O2, and after sitting around a few hours, it turns into plain old water H2O.

• Cee says

if you seal the cap very tightly, could even put tape on it, and refrigerate it, it will keep indefinitely. (i work in a laboratory)

• Hallie Wiseley says

The dawn shouldn’t cause it to decompose, but hold off on the baking soda (CHNaO3), since it will cause a chemical reaction. But if you just keep the peroxide & Dawn mixture cool and sealed and don’t expose it to light, it should be OK–don’t worry about refrigerating it unless your house is hot. Light acts as a catalyst and makes it the hydrogen peroxide split into water and oxygen [(2)H2O2 --> (2)H2O + O2]. That’s why the diluted bottles that you buy at the grocery store are opaque brown.

• Adrienne says

Where in the world were you people when I was struggling through chemistry?! Also, can’t wait to try this concoction on my white shirts, I was just about to go buy some dye for “new” shirts! :)

• Natalia says

I keep spray bottle heads around. I bet it wouldn’t be hard to find one that fits a brown hydrogen peroxide bottle.

• Erika says

Actually, Hydrogen Peroxide can keep for a very long time if you put it in a bottle that does not allow light in, or duct tape a bottle so no light can get it. Works wonders in my work.

• Cee says

Sure, as everyone is saying above don’t expose it to light (but the refrigerator will also do that since most fridges I see in people’s homes are sealed off from light. I suppose refrigerating is not that important if you consider all the comments, but it is recommended by Sigma, a chemical manufacturer, to store it sealed tightly and cold for BEST results. (admittedly, we have a 30% solution at work, most solutions available over the counter are 3%.)
        Thanks Jillee!

• samantha says

Mix in a clean empty, root beer bottle, its dark so it will help keep it from going “BAD”. but don’t put the baking soda of course and put in fridge for extra protection!

• Janet says

It’s not a good idea to store non-food items in food containers, particularly in the refrigerator.

2. Rachel JL says

Felina,
    It probably doesn't matter which Dawn you use, since they effectively have the same active ingredients. That's just a guess, though. My niece and I are trying it with a generic version, so hopefully! If it doesn't work, I'll go buy the real thing.

3. Betty819 says

My dear MIL swore that Dawn would take a lot of stains out. DH turned over a diet root beer one day this week on the light beige carpet. He immediately tried to blot up the soda, not rub it in. I suggested Dawn but we didn't have any. We used all the carpet stain remover in the house, then drug out the Bissell rug shampoo machine and worked for 2 days to get that root beer stain up. It did finally remove it or make it hardly noticable. I was ready to try Simple Green or white vinegar. Would either of them have worked? Won't peroxide act as a bleach on fabrics?

• Kara says

It is my understanding that OTC hydrogen peroxide will not remove color…it is the beautician’s formula of ‘peroxide’ that will strip color from hair, fabric, dishware, etc.

• Cee says

Yes, that’s true. The Red Cross got blood all over a favorite red shirt of mine one day while donating.. and the ladies told me not to worry, hydrogen peroxide would get it our without bleaching the shirt. I went back to the lab and poured it on, it worked instantly! Now I use hydrogen peroxide to remove blood from everything- my dog had a cut and got a bit on the walls and floor, it came right off and did not damage any of the colors.

• Amy says

I found on the internet how to take stunk smell off of dogs when our dog got sprayed recently and the hydrogen peroxide lightened her hair. Maybe dog hair is different, idk but that’s what happened.

• Angie says

I have used straight OTC hydrogen peroxide to lighten my dark brown hair to what turned out to be a blondish-orange :-/

However, I’m not sure what the difference is between hair and clothing fibers.

• Elyn says

Gee, I tried this the other day and it didn’t do a thing for my medium-brown hair. Oh well.

• Heather says

Did you try this recipe: 1 quart hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 tsp. dawn dish soap? I’ve used this recipe multiple times on my dog (we live in a prime skunk area), she has a dark brindle coat and I’ve never had a problem with her coat color changing and I let that stuff sit for as long as possible. It works like a charm if you ever need it again….but I hope for your sake and your poor puppy’s you won’t!

• Jamie says

I read that, too. The person let their dog go out into the sun to dry. May have been the problem. I don’t know. I’m not a beautician or a chemist. :)

• shalom says

I f it’s a matter of trying it or tossing a garment I’m willing to try it, but it did bleach my son’s hair. When he was small he got a sore on his scalp so I did usual of treating the sore with hydrogen peroxide and neosporin. After several treatments I noticed the hair in that area was lighter. lol I don’t remember if he went outside and that play a part in it or not.
        I have read a comment (can’t remember where) where a “nurse” said not to use hydrogen peroxide on a sore. The person didn’t give a reason. However, I have used it for years to help clean out a wound or sore. My son got an infected fingernail one time and I used the same combo. To me it seemed to look a little worse, so when he had to see the doctor for another reason I showed the doctor and told him what I was doing. He said it look fine and to keep doing what I was doing.

• Angie says

Hydrogen peroxide is not good for the skin, according to my teacher when I was in esthetics school.

• N says

peroxide heals from the outside to the inside…..*per my pediatrician* hence the reason to not use it on a *sore* for more than once or twice

• Maggie says

Ugh, isn’t banana stain the WORST?! I hate how it gets gooey and seeps down into the carpet, and gets all entwined in the fibers, and makes you want to cut out that chunk of the carpet and burn it… Ok. Kind of over-dramatic…

• Minda says

RUBBING ALCOHOL removes most permenant marker but if they have been dried already… it may not work!

• Stephanie says

Try spraying hair spray on it. Let it sit on it for a few mins then wash. Should come right out

• Jan says

Brianna, I have used hair spray to remove permanent marker from photos and expiration dates off jar tops.

• shalom says

Slightly off topic: to get permanent marker off a dry erase board (and maybe some other surfaces) write over the permanent marker with a dry erase marker and wipe it off. You may have to do it several times to get it completely off and it works better if it is wiped off before the dry erase marker is dry.

4. Ann Harrison says

Found your post through Pinterest. Wonderful! White T's and Long-sleeve's are a staple of my wardrobe. I can't wait to try this (and, hopefully, save some shirts!)

5. Anonymous says

Ok…I was excited to find this as I have some white banquet table cloths that I use for weddings, banquets etc. For some reason after treating and laundering them (folded and put away) when I go to pull them out there are bright yellow stains where the "used" to be before laundering them. I was so hoping this would work. I treated 3 table cloths, let them sit for awhile and washed in hot water. The stain wasn't even lightened a bit. Any suggestions – please help if you can. Thanks so much…Sue

• Highlandangel says

I have tried dissolving Dawn dishwasher detergent in boiling hot water. Let it cool and then put in the whites to sit over night. This gets out most stains I have tried it on. Grease stains, I use engine degreaser from an automotive store. Spray it on and let it sit. Sometimes I will rub it in. Afew times I had torepeat this step, but only because I did not let it sit long enough.

• Carla says

My son is a chef and would come home with all sorts of stains, from berries to blood stains from raw meat, and ythe worst was mustard. One thing I found that works well is a product called Soilove. It keeps his chef coats very white. I use to buy it at SafeWay stores but the only place I can find it now is at the 99cent only store. Not the found at the Dollar stores. you can search for it on the web. Thats how I found it. I squirt it on the satins scrub with a soft brush, sak for a little while and then wash with detergent and a little bleach. When my whites start to get a little dingy I add some to the wash, it brightens the whites.

• Shelley says

Try mixing hydrogen peroxide with Biz (powder). Make a paste – it will get warm when you mix it. Make the paste sort of thick but not so thick that you can’t spread it with your finger. Apply to stain and let sit overnight, then launder as usual. I leave the paste on when I throw the item in the was. This has never failed me except for getting out ink. Hope it helps.

• Wendy says

There is some stuff that my husband got at Menard’s (he worked there at the time) called Mom’s Goop. It’s made by the same people as Goop hand cleaner. I have had the best luck with it. Even after washing and drying, it gets stains out. I’ve also found that it must be the same thing as Goop because I tried that (because it’s cheaper) and it worked just the same.

• Lilian says

Mix 1 gallon hot water with 2 big scoops of Oxiclean. Soak the cloths in the solution overnight. The stains will all be gone and not come back with no scrubbing… trust me! If this doesn’t work, the stains are probably rust (which they don’t sound like it)… if this is the case, buy a bottle of Stain Devil (small yellow bottle in the laundry section in the grocery store) for rust… works great. :-) I can’t tell you how many clothes, cloths, etc I’ve saved with Oxiclean…

• Jeannemara says

Shred some Fels Naptha soap, put it in warm water on the stove and mix until dissolved. Put some of this on your stains (rubbing in with a fingernail brush) and wash.

6. Amanda says

Could you premix this in a squirt bottle to use later or does it need to be fresh in order to work?

7. Anonymous says

Same solution works for your carpets as well! I use this to clean up dog "messes" and it really gets the odor out! Only difference is I do the liquid soap/peroxide first and when it's almost dry, then I sprinkle the baking soda and vacuum when it's dry.

• Amy says

Such a good idea! We live in a rent house and there are pink stains on the carpets in almost every room. How nice it would be if I could get all the stains out. :)