My "Secret" for Wiping Out Ring Around The Collar

If you were old enough in the 70′s (or even ALIVE then)…you will no doubt remember the “Ring-Around-The-Collar” commercial.
You know…the one where the husband’s white shirts are mocking the mortified housewife with the sing-song chant, “Ring-around-the-collar, RING-AROUND-THE-COLLAR!” Poor woman! Could she LOOKany more horrified???

The commercial was for Wisk Detergent, and claimed it not only got OUT ring around the collar, but prevented it from coming back. Well, I don’t know if that’s true or not, because I refuse to buy that stuff anymore.
$16.00 for a 50 ounce bottle of the stuff?   I don’t think so.

How about $1.00 for a bar of this stuff worth it’s weight in “Gold”?  That I can do.
I first learned about the cleaning power of Gold Dial soap several years ago when my little ones were….little. A friend of a friend said it was great for rubbing on baby formula stains. Just dampen the spot with water; lightly rub the soap on the spot, and then rub fabric together to dissolve stain. Wash as you normally would! Worked like a charm…even on yellowed, set-in stains.

She also said it worked onring around the collar. At the time my husband wasn’t working in the “white collar” world…so I didn’t really get too excited about this news. But the last several years he has had to transition into wearing a white shirt and tie everyday and we’ve been using the Dial Gold Bar soap to deal with the inevitable ring around the collar ever since. To his credit, he is usually the one who launders his own dress shirts (way to go hon!), and since I’m past the baby formula spit-up stage (something to be THANKFUL for this Thanksgiving Day!), I don’t use this laundry trick much anymore. But last week I was doing laundry and noticed the dreaded R.A.T.C. on my son’s church shirts. Along with the equally dreaded ring around the CUFFS! So I pulled out the bar of Gold and gave them the treatment!

See amateur pictorial below:

launder as usual……..and….

Once again, as in past posts requiring photographic support, my camera phone photos leave a lot to be desired…but I think it’s pretty obvious that this trick definitely does the trick!

Try it! I guarantee you will be amazed! If not, I will personally refund your $1.00 for the bar of soap! Not really. But seriously, I bet you have $1.00 in change hanging around in the bottom of your purse right now.

Best $1.00 investment you’ll ever make. ;-)

And that’s today’s….

Facebook44Twitter4Pinterest3844Google+6

Comments

1. roboref says

I'm so thankful I found your site. I'm using so many of your hints this week that my husband thinks I've gone crazy.
    I'm so excited about this one.
    One, this commercial plays in my head almost every time I do laundry. I almost remember every word.
    Two, Whisk doesn't work on ring around the collar. I'm so anxious to try Dial gold on the shirt my husband wore to our son's wedding and we almost threw it out because of the yellowing.
    Can't wait to do laundry! Who said that?

2. Aims says

Do you think this would work just as well if applied as in the 'liquid form' from a spray bottle, or do you think it is also due to rubbing the soap directly into the fabric?

3. Tona says

Hi there, what a cute site this is… I was just looking for a solution to ring around the collar, I saw one that said use palmolive dish soap, one said use cream of tartar… And then I saw several with a picture of dial soap, gold bar… So I clicked on yours :) I am a “show me the money” kind of girl… I noticed that in your picture of the dreaded ring around the collar and cuffs, it’s a “slim fit” size and then in the “ta dah, stains all gone” picture the shirt is a “regular fit” size…. So, does it work or doesn’t it?? Since you didn’t actually do a before and after of the same shirt.. I just want it to work soooo bad, because I am like that horrified house wife from the 70′s commercials, (yes I remember those) however am not a stay at home housewife, I work and go to school and take care of the family… So I just don’t have time to mess around.. Besides, I hate ironing, so I don’t want to keep trying things that don’t work and then needing to iron them… UGH… :) Let me know. Thanks. Tona

• Jillee says

Tona…I’m glad you asked. I PROMISE, IT WORKS! :-) I wish the hubster were here to answer this because he actually does this to his work shirt collars EVERY TIME he washes them. (Now don’t think less of me….he PREFERS to wash his own shirts….he’s very particular about his it is done! lol). I’ve actually tried to talk him into “just” using the homemade Shout…just because all you do is spray it on…but he SWEARS by the gold bar of Dial!
      Hopefully this helps and answers your question.
      As far as the pictures go…I need to take new ones. Those are so old and when I was using my camera phone. :-) Putting it on the list! Thanks for leaving a comment!

• Bunny says

I am a 300 lb fat man. I sweat all day and my white shirts have never looked as disgusting as that before picture. You are showing before/after pictures of two different shirts. You even used photoshop to black-out the labels on the before shirt. When someone confronted you about it, you didn’t even respond to the critism; you just said you had a poor quality phone (which has nothing to do with showing two different shirts). Maybe it works, maybe not. However, it is obvious you are exaggerating the results so you have material for your website. Time to stop blogging and go back to the work force.

4. Renea says

Do you think this would work on underarm stains? I have tops that are looking really bad and would love to find a way to get them cleaned up. Love your website and thanks for taking the time to blog about all this stuff and for trying it out before you post about everything

5. Joan says

I don’t know why I didn’t just search pintrest for “Ring around the collar” sooner? I guess I thought no one else would remember to commercial jingle! Since I hit my 40s, I have been visited by the dreaded ‘night sweats’ and several of my favorite pajamas have started to discolor around the neck. No matter how much I wash them, and no matter what product I spray on them or soak them in, the rings will not go away! I am filled with hope reading this blog post and am headed to the store to buy gold dial!

6. Bryan says

Well, it worked for me. One of my shirts only had minor collar stains, the other wasn’t quite as bad as the one above but was quite noticeable (I’d had to be outside a few weeks ago on a particularly hot/humid day while in a suit and tie). Rubbed the Dial soap on the collars and cuffs and both white shirts came out perfect. Thanks for the tip!

7. brandi says

I do this same thing with fels naptha soap. When making homemade laundry detergent I just keep about an inch piece out and use it just like this. It works on every stain that I’ve tried it on! I have a 3 year old and 6 month old so it has been tested on many stains :)

8. KSmith says

Hi – I agree with Bunny. The “dirty” shirt tag says slim fit and the “clean” shirt says regular fit. Clearly, these are two different shirts. Shame on you… people really do want to save money and use alternative cleaning supplies. You really shouldn’t mislead people and put your blogs on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, etc…

ONE GOOD THING – I’ll be sure and let my fellow bloggers and readers aware of your website.

This is a great process. But Think about this… Why do this ever time when you could just simply prevent the dirty collars in the beginning.

Get out http://thecguard.com. It is s ring around the collar prevention strip. Apply it in the morning and just throw it away at the end of the day.

P.S> you can also use club soda or vodka to remove those stains :-)

10. Samuel says

Good article. I tried Cguards recently from this site at http://www.thecguard.com.
    They are little cotton strips that you put on the inside of your shirt collar. They catch that nasty sweat and they you can peel them off and throw them away. Simple cheap and effective.

But I will def use this method for my already dirty shirt collars

11. Timothy Walterlin says

I’d rather have it not work then leave all my shirts stained by golden dial, lol :) I should have tested this before I went through every white shirt I own, but seems like its worth a shot and the machine is still running so to be continued… On a side note I think a maxi pad for neck sweat just might be nastier than a stained shirt… Maybe?

12. Sara says

Hi Jillee, I really enjoy your website and all it’s super cute ideas. I tried this trick on my husbands shirts and it didn’t work at getting the stains out. I’m so disappointed, and then to read the comments one here, I didn’t even notice the different shirts. I have to admit, I’m a little disappointed in that too! I will keep on reading your blog though, and keep trying to things you post.

13. William says

WHY MUST YOU LIE?
    Especially about something so stupid, I can’t even imagine what you would tell people if there was something in it for you.
    Readers-look at the shirts, the pic of the dirty shirt says “Slim Fit” and the clean one says “Regular Fit”. THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT SHIRTS. It appears the author even tried to manipulate the photos to darken the tags so you will not catch on to her deceit.
    I wish this was the first thing everyone would see when they visit your page so they would have an idea of how credible you are. I just don’t understand why you would lie to your readers. That says a lot about how you feel about them, either you think they are too stupid to notice or you don’t give a shit if you waste their time because it is not as valuable as yours.
    I could go on and on but I doubt anyone will even see this. I hope you have apologized or stopped blogging.

14. Shane says

This did not work for any of my shirts. I dropped the dial gold bar in a bowl of water. I then smeared the soap on the entire collar and washed and nothing changed. Am I missing something here?

15. chrissy says

This does not work. Have tried it many times on my husbands shirt. He wears suit and tie everyday and i needed an easy solution to ring around the collar. THIS DOES NOT WORK. it will clean it… but the dark stains are still there.

16. angry J says

you DIRTY little LIAR! Can’t believe you had the nerve to post pictures of TWO DIFFERENT SHIRT for your before after pics! I want you to take your son’s dirty dress shirt and rub it all over your STINKY, LYING FACE!

You disgust me.

17. disappointed says

Money is short these days, and the cleaners is out of the question. We made a special trip to get the gold dial soap because nothing else has been working. I was so disappointed to pull the shirts out of the washing machine, and the ring was still there. At least we have 3 bars of soap for showers, I guess.

Today, I went to the beachfront with my children. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year oold daughter and saod “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She placed the shell to her
    ear and screamed. There waas a hermit crab inside
    and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is entirely off topic
    but I had to tell someone!