Whether you prize your jewelry because of its monetary value or its sentimental value, it’s worth dedicating a bit of time and effort towards keeping them clean and sparkly! After all, jewelry is regularly exposed to dust, pollutants, sweat, perfume, hairspray, and other contaminants on a regular basis. All of them can build up on the surface of your jewelry, dulling its appearance over time.
I personally love wearing jewelry, but in the past I’ve been nervous about cleaning it myself for fear of accidentally ruining my favorite rings, necklaces, and bracelets. So I decided to do some research to try and find safe, effective, and affordable ways to clean jewelry. And that’s what I’ll be sharing with you today! At the end of this post, you’ll be armed with all the information you need to clean, buff, and shine all of your jewelry to sparkling perfection. :-)
How To Clean Jewelry Safely & Effectively
MY LATEST VIDEOS
How To Clean Gold
Fill a small dish with club soda and add a drop of Dawn dish soap. Drop your gold jewelry into the soda mixture and swish it around. You can use a soft-bristled brush if necessary to dislodge the more stubborn gunk. Then rinse with cool water and dry completely.
How To Clean Silver
There are a few different methods you can use to clean silver jewelry. The first and most convenient method is to use silver wipes. The remove tarnish and restore shine at the same time, and you can also use them to clean gold, brass, and copper.
Another method you can use to clean silver is with a baking soda paste. Just add small amounts of water to some baking soda until it forms a paste. Use it to scrub your silver jewelry, then rinse the jewelry well and dry it completely.
Finally, if your silver is really tarnished, you can use tin foil to help remove it. Line a small bowl with a piece of tin foil, then sprinkle some baking soda onto the foil. Place the jewelry in the bowl, and pour a cup or two of hot water over the jewelry and baking soda. Let it sit for about 20 minutes, then give the jewelry a scrub with a soft toothbrush. Make sure to then rinse the clean jewelry well and dry it completely.
How To Clean Diamonds, Gemstones, & Platinum
Diamonds and other precious gems require special care to keep them looking sparkly without causing damage. I recently got this Diamond Dazzle Stik on Amazon and have been thrilled with the results!
The small brush dispenses a special cleanser that leaves stones looking marvelous, and it’s easy to get into even the tiniest nooks and crannies. Plus, it’s small enough to keep in my purse, so I can touch up my wedding ring even on the go!
How To Clean Pearls
Use a gentle shampoo to keep your pearls shiny and iridescent. Just add a few drops of shampoo to a small dish of water. Use a small, soft brush (like a clean makeup brush) to gently apply the solution to your pearls. Dry the clean jewelry completely with a soft cloth.
Bonus Tips For Caring For Jewelry
- Brush it clean. A soft-bristled toothbrush makes a great tool for scrubbing gunk off of jewelry!
- Dry it completely. Keeping your jewelry dry is very important. Use an absorbent microfiber cloth to ensure that you’re removing all the moisture from your jewelry.
- Put jewelry on after you get ready. Hairspray, perfumes, and lotions can easily dull the sparkle of your jewelry. To keep jewelry cleaner, wait to put it on until after you’re finished getting ready for the day.
- Keep it safe during travel. Protect your jewelry while you’re traveling by keeping it in a lined or padded box. You can keep your necklaced free from tangles by threading them through a drinking straw. You can also protect items from getting tarnished with a special anti-tarnish bag.
- Take it off before housework. It’s best to remove your jewelry before handling chemicals or working outside to keep them clean and undamaged. (Just make sure to put them in a safe place!)
What is your most precious piece of jewelry, and why?