Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Cleaning Those Nasty Stove Burners!

Giving this post a “bump” up in my blog because I used this method again yesterday to clean my burner pans (which thankfully weren’t as nasty as the FIRST time because this time I actually knew how to clean them once they STARTED getting nasty!)

Once again I was AMAZED at how WELL IT WORKS and at how EASY IT IS!

For those of you who haven’t tried it….you simply MUST. Period. One of the best tips I’ve ever found on Pinterest…and that’s saying a LOT!

This time along with the burner pans I put the actually BURNERS in too. (Yes, my stove is an electric dinosaur.) No surprise….they came out GREAT!

I have 3 words for you today:   BEFORE and AFTER

These were my stove burner pans on Saturday. I know…..NASTY! What can I say? I cook…a LOT! Can you can tell which burner I use the most???

This shows each burner pan sealed in a ziploc bag with just a splash of ammonia poured into each.

The same burner pans…less than 24 hours later!
The pictures speak for themselves….
BEFORE AND AFTER

I read this blog post over at The V Spot on Friday….decided to try this cleaning “trick” on Saturday, and you can see the results from Sunday!  Less than 24 hours later with NO SCRUBBING INVOLVED, the cleanest my stove top and burner pans have EVER been! The ONLY thing I did in addition to what Vivienne at The V Spot did was used a little paste of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide to rub off some last little bits of gunk that needed the tiniest bit of elbow grease to get off. As a matter of fact, I think the baking soda/peroxide paste actually “polished” them a little and restored some of their original shine.

I was HIGHLY SKEPTICAL of this….but figured I’d tried everything else under the sun to get these things clean with no success…might as well give this one a whirl.  SO glad I did!  Now it’s YOUR TURN….I dare you to prove me wrong! :-)

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

185 thoughts on “Cleaning Those Nasty Stove Burners!

1. Karen

I had ordered new stove burners before I tried this the first time I saw it posted on Pinterest and was amazed how the gunk just rinsed off. the most amazing post on Pinterst so far…

2. Jill Nystul

Karen…I did the same thing! They cost like $30.00! What a waste. ugh. This is not only MUCH cheaper…but virtually NO work! Amazing is right! :-) Thanks for leaving a comment!

3. Anonymous

Sorry, that should have said— Did you use the ammonia before or after the HYDROGEN PEROXIDE step? Also are the burners wet or dry when you add the splash of ammonia?

4. Jill Nystul

M.Kurdziel…You are amazing yourself! :-) Thanks so much for the kind words. I LOVE that you love the stuff I post. Makes it all worthwhile. Hope you keep coming back!

Anony….I just threw those nasty pans in the baggies…gunk and crud and all. I didn't do anything to them. Then I literally just poured a "splash" of ammonia into each bag and zipped 'em shut! I would estimate each splash was about 3 tablespoons?? Didn't touch them til the next day. That is when I used a little bit of the baking soda peroxide paste to get off only the smallest bits of gunk left. The rest literally slid off when I rinsed and washed them in the sink. Hope this helps!

5. Anonymous

I remember my mom using ammonia to clean her oven. She put a bowl of ammonia on the lowest oven rack with strips of cloth from the bowl to the bottom of the oven. She would leave overnight and literally wipe the oven clean the next morning.

6. gamer39

I have used this trick before except with the racks out of the oven placed in a garbage bag outside overnight. I had forgotten all about it! I will try for the stove pans, I have scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed on those. It is a horrible job.

1. Amy

I was just wondering the same thing.. have you tried this and did you use this method on the little ringy thingys.. lol let me know!! doing this tomorrow (after dinner is done of course) :)

7. melissamevans

…I've been staring at my stove lately and thinking that it's time to scrub these suckers! I'm seriously going home tonight and trying this. :) EXCELLENT/USEFUL post :)

8. Jill Nystul

gamer39….it IS a horrible job! ugh. I've heard about the trash bag thing…might be on my list next. I have been staring at my OVEN a lot lately (like you melissamevans) and thinking…it is time. It is WAY overdue actually. Been psyching myself up for it for a couple months actually. lol. I've just gotta bite the bullet.

Cottonpickinfarm….I don't believe you misunderstood…except for the "slash" part. I said a "splash". :-)

1. Linda

NEVER use ammonia on aluminum, it will mess it up bad. I usually sprayed the stove pieces……rings, elements and oven racks with oven spray and put them in a trash bag, followed by about a half cup of ammonia. The gook rinses right off. Spray the oven with oven spray and put about a half cup of ammonia in a dish and put it in the oven, close the door overnight and wipe out the gook in the morning. If there are specks of black or stuck on stuff, a straight razor will pop them off. Once you have everything clean, use windex on everything and it will sparkle and prevent the white residue from showing up when you turn on the oven.

9. incognito

This is ahhh-mazing! I did this last week for the drip pans and burners and I could not believe how miraculously this works! I don't know how many sets of drip pans I have bought in the past because I couldn't get them clean. Ten stars for this tip!

10. Anonymous

you can put the pans and the oven racks, if you want to, in any type plastic bag…i.e. garbage can liner…you can also put ammonia in a glass bowl or container and sit in the oven…over nite…or maybe for several hours that you are out of the house. the longer the better…gunk will wipe off. Be careful not breath in the fumes…Wear rubber gloves (when wiping out the gooey gunk…I use paper towel the first round and have a handy dandy WM sack ready for disposal)…and you would NOT and should NOT turn the oven on.

1. Deborah

Yes, never use caustic chemicals on iron skillets. I have been told not to even put them in hot soapy water. It will remove the seasoning on them that makes them non-stick. I use just lots of HOT water to wash my out with. Then place back in warm oven to dry off, no rust and ready to use next cooking session.

1. Becky

When you get gook stuck to the cast iron or made something and the cast iron held on to the flavors: Put the pan back on the stove, fill 3/4 with water and bring to a boil. Let it bubble for a few minutes, then turn it off . Using a pot holder, pour the water down the drain and wipe the pan with a clean cloth. The dried up crud wipes out, the stench is gone and your pan is clean. It should dry almost instantly because of the heat from the pan. If not, put it inside a warm oven to dry. My Grannie taught me this and I use her pans from 1930′s daily.

2. Amy

To re-season your pans, simply take a paper towel or two and pour a small amount (approx. 1-2 teaspoons) of vegetable oil and smear all over the inside of your pan. If you like, you can cover your pan with plastic wrap or foil before storing; I just place mine in the oven so that dust doesn’t accumulate in it while not in use.

1. Judy

My Husband cooks with iron skillets all the time. He found an old iron chicken fryer at a swap meet that had a bunch of gunk on the outside of the pan and it was deep! He accidently got rid of it when he used the pan on an open campfire. It was in the flames. I guess it is the same thing as putting the oven on self clean. It turned all that gunk to ashes! Brushed right off!

1. long029

I have a dear friend that is 92 years old and loves to go to yard sales I saw a great cast iron skillet one day but passed it up because it was so crusty. She saw me looking at it and asked why I didn’t buy it I told her I thought it was too crusty. She went back and bought it took it home put it in a fire then gave it to me looking perfect I couldn’t believe it. She told me that was always what her mother and grandmother did when theirs got all that build up on the outside. She knows the old ways to clean everything its great to get that advice

2. janet

you can also clean your oven by putting ammonia in a pan overnight in your oven and next day it wipes off – amazing. I have put my iron pans in the oven also when I clean the oven and it works, you just reoil them.

11. Terry H.

I think the only thing is that under the pic with the zip lock it says something about them being in there with a splash of ammonia. Guess that is all you do and leave it for a day or so.

12. Anonymous

I use oven cleaner. Just spray it on let it sit in a Baggie over nite and wip
    Clean in the morning. I use that for my burners and also my grill grates. Never used ammonia but oven cleaner. And walla.

13. Anonymous

This is amazing! I cook so much, but have never had an effective or cost effective way to clean my stove top. This works like a charm. Already sharing with friends, thank you!

14. Anonymous

Hi, Jill. I have a question I hope you can answer. It isn't about burners or burner pans but the area *on the actual stovetop* around the edges of the burner pans. We live in a rental house, and no matter what I've tried, I cannot get the burned-on grease off the stovetop. Any ideas? Thanks!

15. Anonymous

Ummm, I did this with my silver drip pans and now they are grey with rust stains. I am going to have to replace them. Not sure if you are only supposed to do this with black one but I would not recommend for silver ones.

16. Anonymous

I did this on my black stove top that doesn't have the removeable drip pans. It is very odd shaped and I didn't have any lids, plates or bowls that would fit over them to keep out the amonia smell. Sooo, I put the amonia down then taped saran wrap over the whole area and it worked like a charm. ;) Works great for the inside of the oven too, just put the amonia in a bowl and let it set in there overnight.

17. Anonymous

Love this easy way to clean – have been doing this for a while. My drip pans are too big for a bag so I lay a paper towel on and soak it with a little ammonia and cover with plastic wrap Somebody asked about a cast iron skillet – I tried this and it didn't harm the skillet. I had purchased one at the thrift store and it was nasty. The ammonia helped with a lot but I finally put it through the oven cleaning cycle to get it completely clean

18. Anonymous

OMG~~ i have had my 5 burner stove for 10 years, and I could never get it spotless~ So I bought ammonia today and tried this suggestion~~I started at around 330 pm and I am so inpatient that I couldnt wait until tomorrow to let it do its own magic, but with that said IT ACTUALLY WORKED!!! my grates were burnt on ugly mess~ It seemed like it wasnt working so I doubled the plastic bag and it started condensation in the bag almost immediately. A little elbow grease and wala it looks brand new. MY MOM COULD NOT BELIEVE IT!! BUT beware open the bags quickly and have the water running because it is POTENT. cant wait to try some of your other remedies.

19. Anonymous

OH I forgot i did put the ammonia directly on the unremovable rings on the stove as well and covered with plastic wrap and they are sparkling clean as well.

20. Anonymous

We tried this and it did not work at all. I noticed we have the shiny metal burner pans not the black shiny ones. Maybe that is why it did not work.

21. Anonymous

I just dumped all of my stove burner rings and drip pans in the sink and covered with a little water and added 1/2 cup of the ammonia. They came clean in a couple of hours. Yes, it would smell but it didn't bother me. I just stayed away.

22. Anonymous

I cook a lot also and I am a very messy cook. I am going to try this tonight when I can let them set overnight. I hate cleaning my burners and they never come clean…Thanks!

23. Ayshela

re: the iron pan – if you're meaning cast iron, it's highly NOT recommended to use anything harsh or caustic on it. Cast iron is very porous and you don't want any ammonia absorbed into the pan to leech into your food. If you have gunk in the bottom of a cast iron pan, warm it a little bit and pour a quarter cup of salt in the bottom of the pan, then scrub with a damp rag. Salt makes a better abrasive than baking soda for cast iron in my experience. Depending on how much you need to scrub it, you may need to reseason it… Just bear in mind, if you're new to cast iron, that you DO want some "buildup" of oil on the pan to keep foods from sticking.

24. Cynthia

Amazing! So you took 24 hours (one whole day) off from cooking! ;) Thanks for sharing! I no longer have coiled stovetop but wished I had done that 20 years ago (hated using foil wrapped)!

25. Jill Nystul

Anony…March 19…if by your comment you are insinuating that I just bought NEW pans and took pictures of them and CLAIMED I cleaned them, then you are dead wrong. Those are THE SAME pans in both pictures. If you were NOT insinuating that…I apologize.

Cynthia…yes I had to take 24 hours off of cooking…sacrifices have to be made. ;-)