Does This Viral Grout Cleaner Live Up To The Hype?
The purpose of this blog has always been to share the very best homemaking tips that can help you save money and time. So when I started seeing all sorts of amazing claims about Zep Grout Cleaner on social media and around the web, I knew I had to find out if it was really worth the hype so I could pass that information along to you!
Before we get to my honest review, I want to review some of the basics of what this grout cleaner is, how it works, and share some of the hype that inspired me to give it a try for myself.
Zep Grout Cleaner: What Is It & How Does It Work?
Believe it or not, this professional-strength grout cleaner doesn’t rely on bleach for its cleaning and brightening power. Its main active ingredients are urea hydrochloride and hydrochloric acid, “strong but safe” acids that generate a bubbling action that immediately gets to work lifting grime and muck off of grout and other surfaces.
Although you might be able to find it on Amazon, it’s far cheaper (about $11) at Home Depot. I was lucky enough to snag the last bottle at my local Home Depot — it’s a popular product! You may also be able to find it at other home stores or possibly even your local grocery store.
What Are People Saying About Zep?
This viral TikTok video initially brought my attention to Zep Grout Cleaner. After reading up on the product online, I came across plenty of rave reviews from Amazon customers who had tried it in their bathrooms, including these:
- “Wow, wow, wow! I am blown away by the cleaning power in this stuff! I have struggled with my bathroom floors consistently for five years. Between the water and traffic, my floors have taken a serious beating. Coincidentally, I was on TikTok watching cleaning videos, and this was used. I figured, what the heck do I have to lose? Much to my surprise, it BLASTED through tough dirt and grime! I applied the cleaner…and boom, brand-spanking-new tile floor.”
- “This product worked miracles in our bathroom. When we moved in, the grout was a dark gray from years of dirt buildup. This product was unbelievable. It only took one application to work its wonders. All-around incredible transformation!”
Between the video and reviews like these, I’m sure you can see why I simply had to try it out for myself!
Zep Grout Cleaner Review: My Honest Opinion
I have to admit, I was amazed by how well this product worked on my grout. In fact, I think my Zep Grout Cleaner before and after photos at the top of this post speak volumes about its effectiveness!
You can see it start to work as soon as you apply it. You simply apply it to a small section, let it sit for a couple minutes, scrub with a grout brush or old toothbrush, then rinse with water. It’s so easy!
Zep is also a huge time-saver, removing age-old stains and discoloration without a lot of arduous scrubbing. In addition to being a cleaner, this product is also a brightener, so it leaves tiles looking sparklier as well. (As always, it’s always a good idea to test it out in an inconspicuous area to see how your grout and tile react to it before getting started!)
How Does It Compare To Other Grout Cleaners?
I’ve tried other grout cleaners, including Soft Scrub Gel with Bleach, another popular option for cleaning grout. I didn’t like it as much for two reasons: first, I find bleach too harsh on grout, and find that a gentler approach keeps grout in better shape. Second, it was a bit messy and difficult to use. (Zep has a thinner formula that makes it a lot easier to use on large areas.)
In my opinion, the best grout cleaner for everyday cleaning is a solution of water, vinegar, and dish soap. But I also understand that really grimy grout lines may need an extra strength cleaner to make a distinct difference. In those instances, Zep is an excellent option, and I know I’ll be adding it to my list of miracle solutions for cleaning floors!
Tips For Using Zep Grout Cleaner Safely And Effectively
If your grout has been sealed, you may need to remove the sealer with a strong stripper before using Zep to avoid uneven cleaning results. This can be quite the chore, but it would be worth the effort in the long run!
Even though Zep is safe to use as directed, it’s a powerful cleaner that should be used in a well-ventilated area and handled with care. Keep it away from your skin, and never mix it with other cleaning products (which, as we all know, can be a dangerous cleaning mistake!)
And finally, although Zep works wonderfully on ceramic tile and grout lines, it should NOT be used on marble, terrazzo, travertine, natural stone, chrome, stainless steel, brass, or Corian. Better safe than sorry!
Check Out My Other Product Reviews!
- My reviews of various vacuums: The Best Vacuum For Your Money (And Other Great Vacs)
- My review of a viral multi-purpose cleaner: This Colorful Cleaner Is Trending Online For Good Reason
- My review of a viral stain remover: I Tried The Highest Rated Stain Remover On Amazon, And Here’s My Opinion
Do you have any grimy grout lines that could use a good cleaning?
How To Use Zep Grout Cleaner
- Zep Grout Cleaner
- Bucket of water
- Grout brush or old toothbrush
- Towels or rags for drying
- Apply Zep to a small section and let it sit for a couple of minutes
- Scrub with grout brush or toothbrush
- Rinse with water
- Dry excess water with towel or rag
- If your grout has been sealed, you may need to remove the sealer with a strong stripper beforehand to avoid uneven cleaning results.
- Zep is safe to use as directed, but it is a powerful cleaner that should be used in a well-ventilated area and handled with care. Keep it away from your skin, and never mix it with other cleaning products.
- Zep works wonderfully on ceramic tile and grout lines, but should NOT be used on marble, terrazzo, travertine, natural stone, chrome, stainless steel, brass, or Corian.