World’s Easiest Boiled Eggs {Unless You’re Me}

how to peel boiled eggs

It’s pretty embarrassing when you come across an article online entitled “World’s Easiest Boiled Eggs” and then proceed to totally screw them up! I kid you not. I was SO excited when I found this information at MomOnAMission.com because one of my LEAST favorite things to do when making something that requires hard-boiled eggs (like My Mom’s Famous Potato Salad) is PEELING THE EGGSHELLS OFF!! I always end up disfiguring at least 1/2 of the eggs…which is particularly distressing if you are trying to make Deviled Eggs. It just doesn’t work.

So, you can imagine my eagerness to try making the “World’s Easiest Boiled Eggs”! I mean no one can mess that up! Right?

Directions for making the World’s Easiest Boiled Eggs:

1. Fill a pot with water and set the temp to high. Add desired amount of eggs making sure the water covers the entire egg. Bring it to a boil. DON’T CONTINUE TO BOIL. Once it begins, remove it from the heat and put a lid on it. Set your timer for 15 minutes.

2. Time’s Up! Pour the hot water off and immediately fill your pot with cold water. Add as much ice as you can to this water. If it melts in a few minutes, add more. The water should be icy cold when you put your hand in it. If not, continue adding ice.

3. After about 15 minutes, pour NEARLY all of the water off reserving about an inch.

4. Put the lid on and shake those eggs, bumping them together back and forth. Continue to shake, shake, shake for about a minute and…..

When you remove the lid nearly all of your shell has fallen off the egg and they EASILY peel off without peeling the egg off.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm………….THAT doesn’t look quite right. :-/

Nope.  I’m pretty sure that is NOT what they are supposed to look like. *sigh*
Perhaps I was a bit over zealous in my “shake shake shaking”??
I mean she wasn’t really specific about how HARD to shake!

Do you think anyone will notice??   LOL!  ugh!!  Leave it to ME to mess up the “World’s Easiest Boiled Eggs”! :-)

Well, I am nothing if not RELENTLESS (just ask the hubster)….so let’s try this again.

REWIND!  New batch. REPEAT Steps 1 through 3.  On Step 4:  DO NOT SHAKE TOO HARD!

Very cautiously take off lid and peek inside………..SUCCESS!!!!!

Honestly, when I took them out to peel them….almost the entire shell came off in one piece!
See????
Is that a BEAUTIFUL sight or what???

They really ARE the World’s Easiest Boiled Eggs…even if you ARE me! :-)

They looked SO PRETTY that I decided I simply HAD to make Deviled Eggs with them!
Here is a super quick photo tutorial:
Ahhhh….all’s well that ends well…and all that. :-)

Share on Facebook92Tweet about this on Twitter1Pin on Pinterest12,937Google+3

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Another trick to perfectly boiled eggs is to use a "Push Pin" made for a bulletin board and prick the large end of the egg. Put eggs in pot and cover with tap water. Add a few drops of cooking oil and boil for 10 minutes. Shell will peel off with ease.

2. Anonymous says

I had the exact same experience with the worlds easiest boiled eggs. It makes me feel so much better to know I am not alone.

3. Anonymous says

Funny how one tip is to use the freshest eggs and another tip is to use eggs that aren't fresh… lol.

4. Jill Nystul says

Never heard of the push pin technique. Interesting!

Makes ME feel better TOO… knowing I'm not the only one who has completely destroyed a bunch of unsuspecting eggs. ;-)

Fresh…not fresh. I'm so confused. :-)

5. Nancy says

So, I followed these steps exactly this morning, other than shaking the eggs because I wanted to peel them later in the day. So, I took them out of water and just stored them in the fridge. Unfortunately the were super impossible to peel. I'm guessing it is because I didn't peel them right away. Does anyone have suggestions for what to do if you want to boil them at one point, and peel them later?

• Kitty says

What I do if I want to cook them earlier and peel them later is go ahead and shake them in the water, then cover in water and put the eggs in the fridge in the water. I think it helps if the water got under the membrane while they’re nearly hot. Then you of course, want them to stay wet beneath the shell. if they still don’t peel I put boiling water over them to warm the membrane

• MsKat says

I boil eggs all the time and put them in the fridge for later (I add a dash of turmeric to the water so they look different from raw ones). I discovered that to peel a refrigerated egg, it works well to do this: Take your chosen egg and tap it gently on a solid surface to crack it evenly all over. Then, run it under cool water for a minute, while gently squeezing the shell. It should slip right off then, almost in one crackled piece.

6. Cindy S. says

Read another pinterest post that suggested mashing the yokes in a zip-loc baggy, add the other ingredients and after mashing them all together, snip off a corner of the bag and squeeze into the egg whites

Love ur blog!

• Liz says

This is how I make deviled eggs. Also, my daughter has loved smashing the stuff together in the sealed bag ever since she was tiny. (So it’s a bonus kids in the kitchen activity too!)

7. Erinn says

Try the shaking trick with fresh garlic. I peel a whole head and keep it in the fridge for weeks without a problem – but if you're worried about not being able to use it all in a timely manner, you can cover the peeled cloves with olive oil and that elongates their fridge life. (And makes garlic-infused olive oil. Mmmm.)