Friday, February 10, 2012

Cake Box Sandwich Cookies

Do I have a treat for you today! What would you say to a soft, cake-like cookie sandwich that only has 3 ingredients and can be made in a myriad of flavors in under 30 minutes from start to finish?!? Would you believe me? Would you like the recipe? :-)  Well, you’re in luck because my neighbor who shared this with me last week has agreed to let me share the deliciousness with you!

I ran into my neighbor Leesha at the grocery store one day last week while I was wrestling with the self service checkout robot over some packets of grape KoolAid! (The checkout robot refuses to believe I have “put the item in the bagging area” when it’s a KoolAid packet that weighs about as much as piece of paper. It’s #23 on my list of Pet Peeves! lol)  Anyway, talk of KoolAid led to talk of dishwashers (doesn’t it always?), which led to talk of my blog and eventually to FOOD! That’s when Leesha shared with me her
go-to cookie recipe.

Cake Box Sandwich Cookies

1 cake box mix (the dry mix only, don’t add any of the ingredients listed on the box. Hubster said I should add this caveat)
1 stick melted butter
2 eggs

Mix together ingredients then drop by rounded tablespoons onto a greased cookie sheet. (I actually sprayed my hands with a little cooking spray and rolled them into balls.)

Bake 8-10 min. on 350 until cookies are almost done. (Don’t overcook!)

Let them sit on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to wax paper (or foil, or whatever).

Allow to cool completely, then spread vanilla, chocolate, cream cheese, or lemon icing on the bottom of a cookie and make a sandwich by placing another cookie on top. (I actually “piped” mine on with the help of a trusty ziploc bag. Went super fast that way!)

Makes about 16 sandwich cookies. (Mine made about 1 dozen sandwich cookies per box. I might have made them a a bit bigger.)

Since I was making so many batches in one day (I had to try them all! It was “research”!) I decided to go with store-bought frosting. I used vanilla for the lemon and chocolate cookies (I put a little yellow food coloring in the lemon batch and for the chocolate I decided on pink as a nod to Valentine’s Day) and cream cheese for the strawberry and spice cookies. As you can see, I’m pretty generous with the frosting…but that’s your call. :-)

As I was making the second batch of these treats….I suddenly had a “guilt attack” because here I was making all these delicious cookies…none of which my 16 year old could eat. (He has Celiac’s disease and must eat a gluten-free diet).

So I decided to give the gluten-free cake mix I had in the back of the pantry a try. The reason it was in the back of the pantry is because it really doesn’t make a very good CAKE…but maybe in THIS recipe the mix could be given another chance!

I’m so glad we gave it another chance!  Kell LOVED the cake COOKIES. They were a little on the crumbly side, but once we made them into a sandwich and put them in the freezer (that’s they way Kell likes to eat just about everything….frozen!) they were SO GOOD! Score one for gluten-free goodies! I ended up making another batch of GF chocolate cookies a few days later that he liked even better!

So all in all these little cookie sandwiches were a BIG HIT in our house.  Our oldest son kept making up excuses to drop by and always left with several cookies in each hand. lol! He thinks he’s so sneaky. Our youngest and PICKIEST son was quite smitten with the chocolate cookies (I’ve also made another batch of these since then.)

Thank you Leesha!   I hope you all give them a try and let me know what you think. :-)

Another reason to LOVE cake mixes (as if we NEEDED one)!

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

26 thoughts on “Cake Box Sandwich Cookies

1. shannon

My aunt used to make cookies like these, but she used cake mix, 1 egg and an 8 oz container of Cool-Whip….mix well, drop by spoonfulls into powdered sugar, toss and bake…YUMMY!!!… she called them Whipper Snappers…lol

2. Jill Nystul

Wow….the Whipper Snappers sound delightful! Never heard of anything like that before. Thanks shannon.

Vanessa…the only difference with the GF cookies is that I used a Betty Crocker Gluten Free cake mix instead of a regular one. All the other ingredients and directions were the same.

Anony…they don't usually last long enough for us to have to "store" them. :-/ But yes, I would probably store them in the fridge. I actually keep the Gluten Free ones in the freezer because that's how my son likes them. :-)

3. Katie

I love to use the Betty Crocker cake mix to make banana bread- its funny that the cake mix stinks at cakes and rocks at other things :) thanks for another great post!

4. DeniseH

I made these for my boyfriend for valentines day. Made the chocolate cookies with cream cheese icing. He loved them. Now I have to make him more cookies. ;0)

5. Pingback: Cake Box Sandwich Cookies « I Love Sugar and More

6. Kara

For those of us living outside the US, how much is in a stick of butter again?

It’s winter down here in Australia and in my cold brick and tile townhouse, the heating is provided by baking a lot in my little kitchen! DH and I love desserts and these cookies look great. How long to they hold up in lunchboxes?

7. Pingback: Pink Lemonade Cookie Sandwiches « Northwest Bakestress

8. Dawn

The gf mix by itself isn’t all that great, but if you like lemon, or carrot cake it works beautifully. The Betty Crocker website has the recipes to adjust the cake and now I’m wanting lemon sandwich cakes with strawberry buttercream filling. Yum!

9. Pingback: Cake Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches « Fill in the Bake

10. Pingback: {this & that} « Three 31

11. Pingback: I need to vent (and express gratitude too) « Three 31

12. Donna

This recipe looks awesome! I’m going to try it with dry ingreds. from my favorite homemade choc. cake recipe; I’ll report back. Jillee, I love your posts, your energy and your fresh ideas…call me addicted.

13. Ingrid

I actually used these cookies as ice cream cookie sandwiches! I made chocolate sandwich cookies, and sandwiched my favorite mint chocolate chip ice cream in between. Mmm… Thanks for the awesome recipe/tip!

14. Stephanie

I’m so glad I found your recipe as I too had the same box of gluten free cake mix in my pantry. I made these for my gluten intolerant son and they were a hit. So glad you added that gluten free part at the end!! Thanks so much for the recipe!

15. Kelly

I have made these for years… My recipe calls for 1/2 cup vegetable oil instead of butter… However butter makes everything better!
    I use a small or medium size scoop from pampered chef and it makes the cookies all uniform and speeds the process. I don’t usually make them into sandwich cookies however it is a good idea. You can be very creative with this recipe!
    Thanks for sharing….

16. Lynnie

For the GF fella (I have to be GF too) add some red food coloring to the chocolate cake mix and use cream cheese frosting for the filling. I have such a cake mix lurking myself and I’m going to make red velvet whoopie pies.

17. Danielle

I just made these but mine turned out more fluffy and cake like. I tried cooking the second batch at a lower temp but they were the same. I mixed them by hand so maybe i didnt mix them enough.

18. Pingback: Homemade Peanut Butter Oreos. - The Frugal Mom