Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Give Your Clothes Dryer A Tune-Up!

Last week, when I posted about how to make your own homemade fabric softener, there were quite a few comments and concerns about fabric softeners in general leaving residue on lint screens, etc.

The concerns ranged from the dryer being less effective to actually catching fire!

Luckily one of the comments left was from a Mom and firefighter who had some GREAT SAFETY TIPS and dryer maintenance rules to follow.

So I decided to be a good little soldier and follow the rules the nice firefighter lady gave us! (Her comments are in green.)

Anonymous said…I am a mom and a fire fighter as well. This comment is for the questions concerning your dryer lint screen and softeners. Many dryer fires are started by lint screens and clogged dryer vents. Quite common. BUT here is a simple rule of thumb to prevent a dryer fire due to build up. About once a month, depending on the amount of laundry you do, take out your dryer lint screen. Rinse it with warm water and use a soft tooth brush to scrub it clean. It is simple maintenance we should all do regardless of whether we use softener or not. The tell tale sign it is time to soak and scrub, put your screen under running water. If it holds water, it needs cleaning. There is more than one reason for this “clogging” effect:   fabric softener, type of fabrics, laundry soap not rinsing completely out, lint build up not releasing when you swipe.

So, here is the lint screen from my dryer. I decided to put it to the test…and sure enough…look at the water beading up on it! Time to give it a bath!

dryer tune up

I soaked it for a little while in warm, soapy water and scrubbed it with a kitchen sponge.

dryer tune up

And here it is after. I did the same thing….poured some water on it….went straight through! Success!

General rules to always follow and you will have an efficient long life and fire hazard free dryer.
1. clean lint trap after each dryer cycle.   (Already doing this, so I’m feeling pretty good about myself.)
2. wash lint trap after about 20-30 loads or once a month (let it air dry on counter before putting back in dryer).  (NOT doing this nearly often enough!)
3. follow manufacturer instructions on clothing and heat settings. (I do OK with this.)
4. get dear hubby or assistance for this one, open the top of your dryer (if front loading) get the old shop vac or vac cleaner and use the hose to suck out the excess lint inside of your dryer, staying clear of wires and belts, Oh and unplug your dryer from outlet first!

dryer tune up

dryer tune up

Under the hood. I took a LOT more pictures…but somehow they got deleted. :-/

As usual, I was too impatient to wait for the hubster to come home and help with this….so I just found a REALLY BIG SCREWDRIVER out in the garage and gently pried the top off the dryer. It popped off quite easily!

And as you can see, I didn’t have a whole lot of dust built up inside of mine, but I gave it a thorough vacuuming anyway.

dryer tune up

There was a LOT of lint down inside where the lint screen goes in that I vacuumed out!

On the above mentioned you can also call a dryer repair service and get general maintenance cleaning for a fairly reasonable price. This should be done once a year. You will be amazed at what lies inside your dryer that you don’t actually see.

5. while doing number 4,clean and clear out the hose to the dryer for discharging vent, this is a commonly forgotten area and causes alot of fires itself.

dryer tune up
Awkward angle to try to snap a picture…but the long, black thing is my vacuum attachment. I gave the length of the hose and the opening where it connects to the dryer a thorough vacuuming. After I was done vacuuming I checked the debris cup in the vacuum and even though I couldn’t see much dust and lint while I was vacuuming…there was probably about 2 cups of dirt in it!

There is no reason you shouldn’t use softener in your laundry, just make sure to do a little simple maintenance and all will come out smelling fresh as a daisy.

February 3, 2012 12:33 AM

THANK YOU “Anonymous Mom/firefighter”! GREAT information that could literally save lives. I know I’m going to sleep a little better tonight knowing my dryer “passed inspection” and I can use my fabulous Homemade Fabric Softener to my heart’s content now!

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

41 thoughts on “Give Your Clothes Dryer A Tune-Up!

1. Anonymous

1st look at HOW to remove the top of your dryer on the web. I have a GE and there are screws that hold the top on. Did I find that out 1st before I tried the screw driver??? NOT and now I have a bent dryer – wah!

2. Anonymous

I am very hesitant to vaccuum the internal workings of the dryer, I did this to a dryer I had a couple of years ago, and when I was done and tried it- the dryer caught fire and I was wedged into a corner with a flaming dryer infront of me. The washing the lint trap is an excellent idea as well as vaccuuming out the area right below the lint trap and dryer hose- but I would be very careful when opening the dryer up and vaccuuming.

3. Anonymous

I've been cleaning the lint screen for several years now by using a tip to put it in the dishwasher for a better cleaning. (Put mine in the lower rack – upright). I find that I don't have to do this as much as I would by hand. Not sure if it is because using less fabric softener and more vinegar for the rinse in the wash. I also noticed that I don't have to vacuum the dust as much now. :))

4. Anonymous

This post makes me think I should install a fire extinguisher in my laundry room! I don't know why I never thought of that before. But I just vacuumed my dryer (& hose) and was shocked at how much lint was in there. I just cleaned it out 6 months ago. In my city the flexible dryer vent hoses ARE outlawed. Houses will not pass inspection with them. Only the fixed hoses are allowed.

5. Anonymous

wonder if it would be easier to just put a leaf blower down the lint trap in the inside and blow it out for a minute… that way one wouldnt clog up the vacume… my vacume donsnt work that well.

6. Marla

Go to Lowe’s and purchase the Lint Eater. Then, use it at least twice a year. It is amazing how much lint is in the dryer vent that goes up to the roof in a two story home.

I use dryer sheets with every load, and clean the lint screen after EVERY load. It has never held water. Take care of your washer/dryer and they will last.

1. Martha

Since gravity makes lint fall, how does your vent through your roof perform? We have the same ‘problem’ but ours has been ‘vented’ into the attic and now we are selling and want to vent it properly (house built before there were ‘rules’ in place). There is no access to an outside wall from the dryer. Do you use a suction system on the roof vent to pull the lint up and out?

7. Pingback: Periodic Home Safety Tips

8. Leta

Thank you for posting this valuable information Jill! I wanted to share 2 things that have really helped keep my dryer clean.

1. When my babies were born, I went looking for a natural fabric softener for their delicate skin. There was Australian TV show hosted by Shannon Lush that recommended using white vinegar in place of softener. The vinegar removes all the soap from the clothes, and doesn’t leave residue in the dryer either. I have been using vinegar ever since.
    2. I also found a dryer cleaning kit that works a charm from the FlyLady. (Here is the link: http://shop.flylady.net/pages/FlyShop_dryer.asp) It is absolutely brilliant for cleaning lint out of your dryer.

9. Shannon

I had always cleaned the lint trap and vent. The heating element recently went in our dryer . My husband is the type who says its broke lets get a new one. I said no way!!! So I went on YouTube to learn how to change it out. What I found when I opened up the back was a real eye opener. There was so much lint build up it looked like the dryer was insulated. I sent a prayer up immediately thanking higher powers it never caught fire. So it isn’t enough to just use the lint lizard. It needs to be checked inside and out.

10. Pingback: How To Clean Your {Front Loader} Washing Machine! | One Good Thing by Jillee

11. Misfit Mama

I own an appliance repair business & wanted to say ~ Don’t take your dryer apart if it is still under warranty, doing so will void it.
    Great advice, many dryer repairs are due to lint build-up! And most washer repairs are due to using too much detergent and/or softener (which also leads to problems with dryers)?

12. Missi

Just be careful when dosconnecting the vent hoses. I live in an apartment building and one of my neighbors found a HUGE snake in theirs when they disconnected the dryer hose!! I don’t know how big or what kind, I saw it on their facebook though and he was pretty big!!

13. lara

I have always hear to take a leaf blower and to use that to push the stuff from the dryer as opposed to sucking it out. Not sure which would be better.

1. Natalie

I am very anal about cleaning dryer vents and traps. Lived in an apt for years and maintenance NEVER checked hoses, traps, etc…it took more than $3.00 to dry a load of laundry! One day, after taking 3 hours to dry a small load, I decided to ‘bypass’ the maintenance staff and take the dryer apart. OMG! Never saw that much lint in my life.

After that, I was the one to take apart the hoses and each time (w/in a month) the hose behind the dryer was clogged to the point of leaving a 1inch diameter hole for ventilation because other tennants cared less to clean up after themselves, which sucked because my son’s window was directly under the vent and with his autism and allergies, it created a problem. I also could smell a burnt smell coming from the vent through his window. That’s when I decided I would regularly clean it out and clean out the messes my neighbors never bothered to do. Everyone started commenting on how well the dryer worked and how they didn’t spend so much. That eneded after I got in trouble for “messing with the maintenance staff’s job” (which was never done) and was told to leave the dyer alone. I moved out shortly thereafter…news spread about a fire that took place after I left. I’m assuming it was the dryer vents.

Moral of my story

14. Sue

Just wanted to let you in on a little tip that I do when cleaning out dryer, My vacuum attachments will not go down in where my dryer screen is, so after I take out the lint catcher I put an empty paper towel roll { or if you need longer you can use a empty christmas paper roll} on the end of my vacuum hose, this works well for hard to reach lint.

15. Pingback: GOOD READ Give Your Clothes Dryer a Tune-Up

16. Mary

I agree about the type of vent hose. if it isn’t the kink free stiff type its very dangerous. I previously used the type in the above photo but was white. One load was taking way too long to dry and I noticed the top of the dryer was very hot. I shut it off and promptly found a kink in the vent. I was minutes from having had a fire! We put in a stiff,short one that cannot possible shut the air flow off. I don’t leave home with the appliances running either.

17. Brenda Finesilver

I use white vinegar as my fabric softener in my wash. NO the laundry doesn’t smell of vinegar. I always did this with my towels and thought why not my laundry. It works! Try it!

18. Heidie

I just wwanted to tell you thank you for your tips! I found you through pinterest and you have helped me to stay within the budget. Thanks for mentioning precautions…I have to say that I thought the first 2 comments were rather rude.

19. Emmy

My husband is loving you right about now!! And I don’t mean that sarcastically either. Since finding your blog I have a spotless organized fridge and now a very clean washer and dryer. He even took over the cleaning of the dryer like it was his idea to do it. Love all your wonderful tips.

20. Sheila

I actually took mine apart and found a pair of socks in the screen holder. I also pulled out 5 handfuls of lint and dust! I tried to vacume the outlet hose but didn’t get much accomplished. Our hose is about five feet. So my brilliant husband got the leaf blower and connected it to the hose! You would have been amazed to see what came out of there! The best thing is it only takes 20 min to dry a load of clothes now and our dryer is over 12 years old!

21. Queenie

Just for informative purposes, I was recently informed by my plumber, who was installing my new washer and dryer that it is not code( building code) for the dryer hoses that are made of the soft aluminum hose any longer. They must be hard hose, to prevent fires and overheating. This is in Wyoming, but check with your builder, plumber, or local government to find out what is ok in your area, but I strongly recommend using the hard venting hose to keep you and your family safe!

22. Dorie

I have an old Admiral dryer that I got as a hand- me-down and I had it for 12 years. I couldn’t remove the top but there was a panel on the back that I removed. Wow was it ever full of lint. Definitely a possible fire hazard. Thanks for all the great tips, love your web site!!!!

23. sara walker

Hello thanks for thevtips on dryer maintenance I also wanted to let everyone know you can order a dryer Manuel. From sears or off the Internet. We replaced a heating element one time. This book gives you diagrams of how to replace parts as well as taking it apart. Save some money. And be safe.

24. kate

what started as a tune up…turned into a complete re-build…but i am glad that i had your notes to crib from because there was enough lint in my “new dryer” to start a fire just by thinking about it. your cleaning a front loading washer also came in handy tonight…so maybe today was a day for “two” good things… Thanks!

25. Alicia

Sadly, I can’t clean all the lint from the dryer like you did. It looked so easy and I was excited to do it, but my dryer is made a little different. For those who have a Maytag Performa like me, this is how I figured out how to access all the lint that accumulates in the dryer: http://www.justanswer.com/appliance/4xhvl-maytag-performa-dryer-lint-trap-full.html . You will notice that it’s not as easy as it is shown in the directions on this blog, but you have not choice. The lint trap does not come off. You have to remove the entire front panel of the dryer. However, my Dyson’s capacity was at completely full after cleaning up all that lint.

26. Mel

We recently cleaned our dryer also. In addition to the vacuum we also used compressed air to ‘blast’ the lint out, although I know not everyone has a compressor handy.