Move over OxiClean®…there’s a MUCH CHEAPER stain remover in town!

OK…I promised I would share my experience with the homemade OxiClean recipes I found….and I am now sufficiently prepared to do so. :-)

I couldn’t bring myself to post about it until I had given it a thorough test.

I made my first batch on Saturday. It was kind of a mess. The most common recipe you will find when you Google “Homemade OxiClean” is this one:

Of course, me in my infinite wisdom thought that didn’t seem like very much. So I decided to quadruple the batch!  My personality type tends to think….if ONE of something is good…then TEN of something must be much better! :-)  Hmmm…might have played a part in my stint in rehab…ya think? lol.  Well…that’s another story….for another day.

So I quadrupled the “recipe” and put it in a big mason jar.  It immediately separated into what looked like a layer of baking soda on the bottom of the bottle…topped with water.  I shook it up REAL good and poured it in a load of laundry.  Seemed to work ok.  But nothing to write home about.

I wasn’t ready to give up on it though…so, I decided to do a little more research on the subject.  While I was waiting for my son’s prescription to be filled at the pharmacy….my Droid and I found some interesting thingsabout “faux” OxiClean:

Most of the recipes out there call for BAKING Soda…but what the ingredient SHOULD be listed as is WASHING Soda.  Baking soda will work…but it’s a lot less effective.  Washing soda has a pH of 11 (with 7 being neutral), while Baking soda has a pH of around 8.1.  That being said….if you are laundering baby diapers…I might stick with the Baking soda…but for normal dirty clothes…I would recommend the WASHING soda.

Another thing I learned is that once mixed together….the hydrogen peroxide and washing soda only remain effective for up to 6 hours.  If it sits around, it will loose it’s efficacy because the oxygen boils off.   I guess that explains why the original recipe was for such a small amount. :-/ So I basically wasted my “quadruple” batch.

Finally, for maximum effectiveness you need to let the clothes SOAK in the solution for awhile, preferably overnight…but at least for a couple of hours.

Soooooooooo…….all that having been said.  I had a MUCH better experience with the homemade OxiClean recipe today! In fact, it isn’t really a “recipe” at all.  This morning before work I tossed in 1/2 cup of Washing Soda (already had a box from my detergent-making) and 1/2 cup of Hydrogen Peroxide (I pay .88 cents for a 32 oz bottle) to the load of whites I was washing, along with the homemade laundry detergent I made, and after letting it agitate for awhile…I left the load to soak until lunch time.  When I came home for lunch I finished washing the load, threw it in the dryer and tonight when I got home from work I was extremely happy with the results!!!!

The whites I washed were NOTICEABLY whiter and brighter!  I thought about posting a picture….but since they were my “delicates”, you’re just going to have to take my word for it! :-)    Or better yet……TRY IT YOURSELF!  I can’t wait to hear what your results are!

Print Friendly
Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter8Pin on Pinterest23,894Google+11

Comments

1. Jill says

Hi Terri! So glad you liked! I continue to use this stuff and continue to be really really pleased with the results. Even my hubby noticed a difference…and THAT is something! lol.
    I actually posted the "recipe" for homemade laundry detergent here.
    I am really enjoying this stuff too…and it just gives me a certain feeling of satisfaction when I walk through my laundry room and see that jug of soap on my shelf, that *I* made! Good thing. :-)

Let me know what you think if you try it out! And thanks for posting!

• Kelsy Laine says

Will this homemade oxiclean work as a substitute for the oxygen bleach needed for your homemade laundry detergent?

2. Anonymous says

Peroxide and baking soda also works when a dog has been sprayed by a skunk! Do NOT get the paste in their eyes, avoid the head just to be safe. The smell won't be completely gone but they will be tolerable.

• Krystal says

This is good to know! As my husky has been sprayed twice and we tried everything down to tomato juice, which did nothing but turn her pink. If she decides to chase another skunk I will remember this.

• Patty says

Another tip for washing your dog when they have been sprayed by a skunk is douche. I know it sounds funny or weird but we had two dogs and the one always decided he should play with the skunk. I had used tomato juice, then used the dog shampoo. This did work but it was getting expensive to always get tomato juice and waste it that way. So I called the vet they are the ones who read out of there first aid book that douche (vinegar & water one) would also work. One bottle to a gallon of water. I still used the dog shampoo afterwards and didnt have to worry about getting it in there eyes.

• ShelBel says

Just a note on the peroxide on a skunky dog. Be careful what you do with the dog after soaking him/her in the peroxide and baking soda mixture. If you leave the dog out in the sun to dry IT WILL BLEACH THE FUR! My black and white mixed breed turned brown and white after drying off in the sun for 20 minutes after I soaked him in peroxide and baking soda. It took away most of the skunk spray but it also took a long time for his bleached fur to grow out! Luckily, he’s color-blind! lol

• marcia says

When de-skunking your animal-you must first use a de-greaser to break up the skunk’s spray residue, the best one is DAWN, it is very effective, after the Dawn and a rinse, use the peroxide and baking soda and rinse again. I have used this method on both the dog, who was very patient and the cat, who was miserable and sounded like I was killing him, but he eventually figured out I was helping him and the second part of the cleaning went much better, not so much yowling and crying…

3. Jill says

Great tip! If I had a dog….or lived near skunks. lol. Actually, I'm sure there are skunks around here somewhere…I just hope I never find out where!

4. Jill Nystul says

Anony…I think it would be perfectly fine in a high efficiency washer. There is literally no suds…which, from what I understand, is the main no-no for HE machines.

Question. I have an HE washer also and would like to know if you use this in place of regular detergent? If used with detergent where do you put the oxyclean? My washer has a compartment for detergent and one for softener, also a bleach dispenser.

• Chelsie says

I either put the oxi clean directly in w/the clothes, which sometimes causes clumping if the load is really full or I put it in the same slot at the same time as the detergent and that seems to work fine.

5. Anonymous says

Have you used this on a load of colors? I usually throw OxiClean in with all my laundry and I just wanted to be sure the hydrogen peroxide wouldn't cause bleaching. This question stems from some memory of mine as a child and girls putting it in their hair for "highlights"? I was tired of boring, unscented laundry with the homemade laundry detergent, and your blog convinced me to try out the Downy Unstoppables and I think I'm in love! :) -Liz

6. kajo50 says

Hydrogen peroxide is the 'active' ingredient in the store brand OxiClean so this recipe shouldn't 'bleach' anymore than the real OxiClean does.

7. Downing Delectables says

This is my new favorite blog. I love all the homemade stain and laundry recipes. Keep them coming.

8. Anonymous says

Jill, do you then just make up your "oxiclean" on the fly for each load since it only stay potent for 6 hours..

Found your blog via Pinterest..Love it..gonna definitely be trying these!!

Carrie, Southern Indiana