Afternoon Snack…Chocolate ‘Bark’ made with Coconut Oil

You may have noticed I have a small obsession with “snacks”. :-)  Yep, I am definitely a snacky sorta girl. I would much rather snack my way through the day, than have 3 big meals.

So here’s another snack idea that I just tried for the first time and was super excited about sharing!

A few days ago I posted 38 Different Uses for Coconut Oil. One of the things I listed called “Chocolate Bark” came from a comment that was left on one of the zillion website articles I read about Coconut Oil.

While I’m not a full-blown “chocoholic”…I DO like a nice bite of chocolate! This actually seemed to fall in the “too good to be true” category….so, of course, I HAD to try it. :-)

Ummm…I just finished the last piece! (I made it a few days ago…I promise I didn’t eat it all at one sitting!)  It was delicious!
(You can read about the healthy benefits of coconut oil in your diet here.)

Good and Good FOR you! You can’t beat a combo like that!

Chocolate ‘bark’ with Virgin coconut oil

4 T. (1/4 cup) Virgin Coconut Oil (I used Nutiva Coconut Oil)
1-T. Cocoa Powder
1/4 t. lowcarb sweetener, such as stevia (I used about 3 teaspoons of Truvia, but it’s not concentrated)
2 oz sliced almonds optional (I threw in some of my chopped Roasted Almonds)
2 oz coconut flakes optional

Melt the coconut oil to a liquid LOW heat
add in cocoa powder
and sweetener
Stir to combine and blend well.
Add nuts and flakes into chocolate mixture (optional).
Pour onto a plate with wax paper (I only had foil) on it
put in refrigerator or freezer on LEVEL shelf
and let set 10 minutes or so.
It will harden quickly and breaks up easy, put in a plastic bag and keep in refrigerator or freezer. (I tried both and liked the refrigerator better.)
I would love to know what YOU think!

Share on Facebook169Tweet about this on Twitter4Pin on Pinterest5,432Google+1

Comments

1. Anonymous says

What was I missing? I am a huge fan and user of virgin coconut oil! I use it on my hair, skin and nails.
    I am definitely going to make this snack! I may not be as successful in my attempt to not eat all of it in one sitting! : D!
    I also found you on Pinterest and had NO luck in finding the dryer sheet formula. Please consider reposting it.
    Thanks for all you share!
    suzie q

2. my-fitnessangel.com says

Sue H.: If you go to http://www.myfitnesspal.com you can enter a recipe's ingredients w/amounts used, enter # of servings and receive calories, fat, etc/serving. It's way cool! You just need to create a free account if you don't have one. This is how I track my diet and exercise. Hope that helps.

Jill: This recipe is awesome – can't wait to try!! Thanks!!

3. DIYwifey says

I sprinted to the kitchen when i got home to make this because it sounded and looks so delicious. I didnt have almonds or coconut flakes on hand so my batch was just plain chocolate. I followed the recipe exactly and anxiously waited for it to set. Not sure if its the omission of your two optional ingredients but mine left a lot to de desired. I loved that it dissolved in my mouth but the taste was bitter and oily not the sweet chocolate i had expected. Curious to know what results others have. Maybe its my coconut oil? I use organic extra virgin from Trader Joes.

4. Lynda says

I just made it with the stevia amount in your recipe and also ground up almonds. I think it needs a bit more sweetness but it's still good. I might try it with honey instead of stevia to see what I think. Thanks. Waiting for hubby to get home and give me his opinion on it. Love, love, love coconut oil. Thanks.

5. Ashley says

My truvia never dissolved and stayed really crystally. I tasted some from the pan, and as others have said..it tasted really bitter and oily. I'm waiting for it to set right now, so we'll see how it turns out. :)

6. Ashley says

Tried it out, and it was great! I feel a little gross when I realize I'm basically just eating oil though! lol

Also, there are places where the sugar didn't get, since it didn't dissolve..and those are less appetizing because it's not sweet there. :/ But, all and all it's a great, cheap snack!

7. Liz says

Couldn’t wait to try this! This recipe goes together quick, easy, just got home to try my first bite out of the freezer…it is amazing…I love that it uses coconut oil and that it’s a self made snack. The sweet doesn’t come through a whole lot with the stevia, so for some, it may need a little experimenting with different sweeteners. I love the recipe, Thanks for sharing.

• Jillee says

Liz…I’m so glad you liked it. :-) I think some people were expecting it to taste like a Dove bar. lol. It’s not a Dove bar…but it’s MUCH healthier and I honestly loved it! I too thought it could use more sweetness. Let me know what you come up with!

8. mamabug says

I tried this with the HCG diet (minus the nuts and coconut) and I thought it was awful, truly awful. It tasted bitter and was greasy. :( The nuts and coconut may help absorb some of the oil but I can’t imagine they would help with the bitterness.

9. Jeanne says

I love this stuff! I make it 3x per week. I found that powdered xylitol works best for sweetening. I sometimes replace the coconut with a tbs. of peanut butter. This is my go to dessert. And best of all, it does not stall me or raise my blood sugar:)

10. Vanessa A says

I fell in love with this recipe as soon as I found you on Pinterest! I just made it today for my first attempt and doubled the recipe. Also added a couple of squares of dark chocolate and something was missing. I’m gonna perfect it next time! It had an oily white coat that made it not so tasty… next time will be better!

I just made this and it is delicious. Because I was having one of those chocolate fits, and I am low on groceries, I improvised on the basic recipe to use what was on hand. I used raw pecans (just a handful), and another handful of sweetened coconut. Tasting the cocoa and oil, I was concerned it might be too bitter to enjoy, so I added one level teaspoon of powdered sugar before stirring in the other ingredients. I may even try this with my mother who is 97 and has Alzheimer’s. Although I don’t want her in competition for my treats, it would be nice to see her respond to the coconut oil. It is said to be amazing at helping to restore some of the mental ability of the sufferers of this disease.

12. Christie says

I used to use 1T of sugar-free Torani or DaVinci coffee syrups in my bark. My favorite was the SF Coconut syrup or the chocolate syrup. It provided the sweetness and enhanced the flavors as well.

13. Katya says

Omg. This is incredible. I used sugar & honey to sweeten and a dash of salt to balance. It is sweet, salty, and completely addictive. With the addition of sliced almonds, this does NOT taste “oily”. Thanks so much for posting this recipe!

14. Ruth says

Yummy!! I used organic cocoa powder, NuNaturals liquid stevia, unsweetened coconut and chopped almonds. Will make double batch next time and add a splash of vanilla and a dash of salt. Thank you for a delicious, healthy snack!

15. Patricia Scow says

Thanks … I was looking for help to use up some chocolate squares, cocoa (with cinnamon and sugar) so I improvised with your recipe as a help. Coconut Oil (I have the Nativa brand, also) great idea, I used Xyla to help sweeten as I did not want to add more sugar, but it needed something more. I had lots of chocolate so used almonds, cranberries, raisins and candied ginger.
    Thanks again, it is hard not to eat, eat … EAT. mmmm so good.

16. Danielle says

I just made this and I was worried because it looked so thin and oily going into the freezer but oh my yum!!! I used a TBSP of honey for the sweetener and added a splash of vanilla and a pinch of kosher salt too. Those 2 additions really come through! I also used sweetened coconut because that is all I had. Will definitely be making this again, what a quick and delicious treat!

Hi Jillee and Greetings all.

Jillee, this is a Great recipe! In the past week, I’ve already made four batches, and taken to a Thanksgiving meal and shared with other friends.

Since I KNEW from Jillee’s and everyone’s comments that this is SO SIMPLE AND DELICIOUS, I usually make five times this batch and this is my take on it. I also soak my almonds/nuts overnight in water to make them more digestible, and toss them into the food processor for about 10 to 15 seconds to make them into smaller pieces which spread throughout the ‘bark’.
    And I add shredded coconut. I also stir in Vanilla Protein Powder for flavor and more protein.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    For five times the original batch: and where I purchase the products…
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1 and a 1/4 c virgin coconut oil, I purchase mine in 54 oz containters at http://www.Vitacost.com for $20.
    (Vitacost has a Win.Win rewards program, if I refer you, you save $10 on your first purchase, and they give me $10 off for referring you. you can contact me at the following address by leaving out the spaces: f l y i n p i g t o o AT a o l . c o m In the subject line, put ‘Vitacost referral request’. THEN, you can receive more rewards for sharing this others.)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5 Tablespoons of Cocoa AND/OR Carob Powder. raw or roasted, whatever is your thing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Liquid Stevia, three droppers-full.
    Four or five droppers full, if you like really sweet.
    I use NOW brand Liquid Stevia, (here is link to it on Amazon. There is a glycerin form, which is goopy and messy. Since I am using such a small amount, I use the form with alcohol since it evaporates. I ALSO pour from this bigger bottle into a 2-0unce dropper bottle and use that for my dispenser. It is much easier to dispense this way for me…) http://www.amazon.com/Foods-Better-Original-Extract-Alcohol/dp/B0017WG180/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354020400&sr=8-1&keywords=now+liquid+stevia
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    5 scoops of Vanilla Protein Powder, I use Vitacost’s BCAA Vanilla Whey Powder. For money saving referral, see above…
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    5 times the Soaked and chopped almonds, nuts
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    unsweetened Shredded Coconut, also found at Vitacost.

Once again, Jillee, thank you for sharing this recipe with us. You’ve helped more than you will ever know to help me let go of processed sweets and junk food.

BLessings,
    Gail

This was amazing! Thank you so much for sharing. I have been looking for a way to deliciously replace some of my bad habits, and get more coconut oil in my diet. Mission accomplished! I use 1tsp of agave nectar for a sweetener, and it was perfect (I do like my chocolate slightly bitter). I just love the taste of coconut and almonds so much that this has become my new favourite Christmas baking :) (and talk about easy)

19. Leslie says

I have been eating clean (no sugar, artificial sweeteners, occasionally raw honey) for almost a year. I love coconut oil and we go through a lot of it at our house! This seemed like the perfect, healthy treat and my daughter and I were really excited to try it. I too used: unsweetened organic coconut flakes, 1 tbsp. honey instead of stevia or Truvia, a dash of vanilla and a pinch of salt. We loved it and didn’t find it oily at all, but then we are used to the taste and texture of coconut oil. I found it more than sweet enough. I think chopping and roasting the almonds would be awesome and make it just that much more tasty!

20. Ann says

I tried the chocolate bark and was extremely disappointed. It was so bitter I could hardly bear it! I used Stevia. Could that be the reason? I can’t use honey because I’m in the first 3 weeks of P3. The vanilla would have been a nice touch.