Homemade Chocolate Syrup and Super Special Chocolate Milk!

homemade chocolate syrup

I don’t know about you, but we go through a LOT of chocolate syrup in this house. Mainly we use it in milk shakes, which seem to be a nightly ritual at our house…except for the hubster, who prefers his ice cream in a bowl with syrup on top.

Tonight the hubster made a grocery store run to pick up some essentials….silicone caulk, ice cream, diet coke, and a BIG ole bottle of chocolate syrup! I mean we’re talking GIANT!  I was so mad…at myself….because we had used up the homemade stuff I made last week and so in DESPERATION we were FORCED to buy some for this evening’s milkshake making session. Of course we didn’t need to buy a 50 gallon drum full!  (OK…I exaggerate.  A lil.)  Ah well…with the way we go through Chocolate Syrup in this house…even THIS bottle won’t last for long. And when it’s gone I will be SURE to have more of the homemade stuff on hand!  I think I’ll need to make a quadruple batch next time. :-)

Homemade Chocolate Syrup

at GloriousTreats.blogspot.com

• 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Ghirardelli)
  • 1 cup water
  • dash of salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

In a small saucepan, add sugar, cocoa, and salt.  Whisk together gently.  Add water.  Bring mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally.  Reduce heat and cook 1 minute.  Remove from heat and add vanilla.  Cool.  Store in the refrigerator.

homemade chocolate syrup

For chocolate milk, add 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup to 8 oz. of milk.  Heat for hot chocolate.

For milk shakes, combine 1 cup cold milk, 1/4 cup chocolate syrup and 2 cups (1 pint) of vanilla ice cream to a blender.  Blend.

This syrup would also make a delicious dessert garnish or ice cream topping.

Recipe source- Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook, 1968.

homemade chocolate syrup

And….as a special BONUS….I found this recipe for Super Special Chocolate Milk today and I HAD to share it!  It takes “chocolate milk” to a whole new level! :-)

super special chocolate milk

Super Special Chocolate Milk

by Doughmestic.com

• A hand full of ice
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • ¼ cup heavy cream
  • 1 TBSP. vanilla extract
  • ¼ to 1/3 cup chocolate syrup

Put everything into a drink shaker and shake vigorously for 30 seconds. Pour into a fancy glass and enjoy!

This would be a fun “fancy” drink for the kidlets to enjoy. :-)

I know I should “do the math” here to show the $AVING$ from making your own homemade chocolate syrup, but to be quite honest…my brain battery is running a little low right now. If any of you mathematician types out there want to have a go at it….please feel free! :-)

Right now it’s time for me to go “plug in” to some shut eye.

homemade chocolate syrup

Share on Facebook1,120Tweet about this on Twitter21Pin on Pinterest27,742Google+4

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Thank you for this delicious looking recipe. I'm anxious to try it. I make a cake that calls for a can of Hershey's syrup in the batter. Is your recipe about the same consistency so that I could substitute it?

Thank you for all your recipes and tips. I love your blogs.
    June

2. Diane says

Great recipe! You could save the giant bottle and use it for your quadruple batch. No spoon required. I have a bottle that is almost empty, I think I will fill it with this yummy looking recipe.
    THANKS

3. natasha d says

Great idea — to fill the store bottle with homemade! …or a pretty mason jar!! Hmm, I may just have to make that today! Thanks ladies!

4. Jill Nystul says

Anony…I think the consistency is pretty much identical to the bottled stuff…especially after it has cooled. I forgot to mention I keep mine in the refrigerator. :-)

5. Anonymous says

I'm telling you Jill, you are one awesome lady and blogger. I wish I could hug you! You should run for President…I am sure you could solve all of our counties problems and balance the budget!

6. Anonymous says

And the other store bought kind is made with high fructose syrup which has mercury in it! ;-(

Thanks for a healthier option! Love your blog!

Denice

7. Kathy in STL says

Thank you! We use chocolate syrup almost every day too. Will be making this soon!

8. Jennifer ♥ says

I can't wait to try this! I hate buying the bottle with all the fake stuff in it. Such a simple recipe with REAL ingredients!! :)

9. Anonymous says

Love the chocolate syrup recipe. Do you know of an easy carmel recipe. I am kinda a duh when it comes to cooking. :)

• Beth Norred says

this is one of her recipes for the Carmel i found on her blog.. Hope its what your looking for.
      Buttermilk Caramel Syrup
      *************************
      3/4 c. buttermilk
      1 1/2 c. sugar
      1 stick real butter
      2 Tbsp. corn syrup
      1 tsp. baking soda
      1 tsp. vanilla
      Combine buttermilk, sugar, butter, corn syrup, and baking soda in a LARGE pot. Like one you’d make soup in. Yes, you’ll have way more pot than ingredients (and I’m not referring to the green leafy stuff), but this will boil all over your newly-cleaned stove if you put it in a smaller saucepan.

• kim says

You may never read this but I found the easiest recipe ever for caramel. And its super yummy. 1 can coconut milk 3\4 c brown sugar simmer over low heat until thickened. Let cool and store. In fridge.

• heather says

A yummy easy Carmel recipe is buy a can of sweetened condensed milk and put it in a pan where your water will remain over the top and boil the water for 3 to 4 hours making sure the water level stays above the can top and when its done let the can cool and open when cooled. Instant Carmel. Very yummy Carmel at that

10. Melisa says

I've done this recipe before and DELICIOUS… just like the stuff in those Hersey cans they used to sell but better because its homemade and a fraction of the cost! Awesome reminder its been a while. Thanks!