Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Homemade Chocolate Syrup & Super Special Chocolate Milk!

homemade chocolate syrupI don’t know about you, but we go through a LOT of chocolate syrup in this house. Mainly we use it in milk shakes, which seem to be a nightly ritual at our house…except for the hubster, who prefers his ice cream in a bowl with syrup on top.

Tonight the hubster made a grocery store run to pick up some essentials….silicone caulk, ice cream, diet coke, and a BIG ole bottle of chocolate syrup! I mean we’re talking GIANT!  I was so mad…at myself….because we had used up the homemade stuff I made last week and so in DESPERATION we were FORCED to buy some for this evening’s milkshake making session. Of course we didn’t need to buy a 50 gallon drum full!  (OK…I exaggerate.  A lil.)  Ah well…with the way we go through Chocolate Syrup in this house…even THIS bottle won’t last for long. And when it’s gone I will be SURE to have more of the homemade stuff on hand!  I think I’ll need to make a quadruple batch next time. :-)

Homemade Chocolate Syrup

at GloriousTreats.blogspot.com

1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Ghirardelli)
1 cup water
dash of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a small saucepan, add sugar, cocoa, and salt.  Whisk together gently.  Add water.  Bring mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally.  Reduce heat and cook 1 minute.  Remove from heat and add vanilla.  Cool.  Store in the refrigerator.

homemade chocolate syrup

For chocolate milk, add 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup to 8 oz. of milk.  Heat for hot chocolate.

For milk shakes, combine 1 cup cold milk, 1/4 cup chocolate syrup and 2 cups (1 pint) of vanilla ice cream to a blender.  Blend.

This syrup would also make a delicious dessert garnish or ice cream topping.

Recipe source- Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook, 1968.

homemade chocolate syrup

And….as a special BONUS….I found this recipe for Super Special Chocolate Milk today and I HAD to share it!  It takes “chocolate milk” to a whole new level! :-)

super special chocolate milk

Super Special Chocolate Milk
by Doughmestic.com

A hand full of ice
1 cup whole milk
¼ cup heavy cream
1 TBSP. vanilla extract
¼ to 1/3 cup chocolate syrup

Put everything into a drink shaker and shake vigorously for 30 seconds. Pour into a fancy glass and enjoy!

This would be a fun “fancy” drink for the kidlets to enjoy. :-)

I know I should “do the math” here to show the $AVING$ from making your own homemade chocolate syrup, but to be quite honest…my brain battery is running a little low right now. If any of you mathematician types out there want to have a go at it….please feel free! :-)

Right now it’s time for me to go “plug in” to some shut eye.

homemade chocolate syrup

Be sure to check out the new

One Good Thing By Jillee FORUM!

Start a conversationmeet a new frienddiscuss an ideaor just hang out!
See ya there!

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

141 thoughts on “Homemade Chocolate Syrup & Super Special Chocolate Milk!

1. Anonymous

Thank you for this delicious looking recipe. I'm anxious to try it. I make a cake that calls for a can of Hershey's syrup in the batter. Is your recipe about the same consistency so that I could substitute it?

Thank you for all your recipes and tips. I love your blogs.
    June

2. Diane

Great recipe! You could save the giant bottle and use it for your quadruple batch. No spoon required. I have a bottle that is almost empty, I think I will fill it with this yummy looking recipe.
    THANKS

3. Jill Nystul

Anony…I think the consistency is pretty much identical to the bottled stuff…especially after it has cooled. I forgot to mention I keep mine in the refrigerator. :-)

4. Anonymous

I'm telling you Jill, you are one awesome lady and blogger. I wish I could hug you! You should run for President…I am sure you could solve all of our counties problems and balance the budget!

5. Anonymous

And the other store bought kind is made with high fructose syrup which has mercury in it! ;-(

Thanks for a healthier option! Love your blog!

Denice

1. Beth Norred

this is one of her recipes for the Carmel i found on her blog.. Hope its what your looking for.
      Buttermilk Caramel Syrup
      *************************
      3/4 c. buttermilk
      1 1/2 c. sugar
      1 stick real butter
      2 Tbsp. corn syrup
      1 tsp. baking soda
      1 tsp. vanilla
      Combine buttermilk, sugar, butter, corn syrup, and baking soda in a LARGE pot. Like one you’d make soup in. Yes, you’ll have way more pot than ingredients (and I’m not referring to the green leafy stuff), but this will boil all over your newly-cleaned stove if you put it in a smaller saucepan.

2. kim

You may never read this but I found the easiest recipe ever for caramel. And its super yummy. 1 can coconut milk 3\4 c brown sugar simmer over low heat until thickened. Let cool and store. In fridge.

3. heather

A yummy easy Carmel recipe is buy a can of sweetened condensed milk and put it in a pan where your water will remain over the top and boil the water for 3 to 4 hours making sure the water level stays above the can top and when its done let the can cool and open when cooled. Instant Carmel. Very yummy Carmel at that

6. Melisa

I've done this recipe before and DELICIOUS… just like the stuff in those Hersey cans they used to sell but better because its homemade and a fraction of the cost! Awesome reminder its been a while. Thanks!

7. Sallie

I save the leftover coffee from each morning to make iced coffee another day. I always use the sugar free vanilla creamer, but lately, I have been adding lite chocolate syrup for an "iced mocha" flavor. Wish you had posted this before I had bought the chocolate syrup!! Oh well, at least now I will have a squirt bottle to recycle and use when I make my homemade version. :) Thanks!!

8. Linda

Can't wait to try this. My Mom used to make chocolate syrup, and my son swears Hershey just isn't as good!! I found your blog thru Pinterest, and I have enjoyed it so much! I'm making my own laundry detergent, Shout sub, and household cleaning supplies from your blog. Please… Keep up the great work!!

9. Andrea

I found this on pinterest and am so excited to give it a try. My kids love chocolate syrup but I find the hershey's not so great. I am going to try. Just love your blog.

10. Jill Nystul

Erin….the recipe filled a 16 ounce mason jar just about perfectly.

I think you are safe to store this in the fridge for at least a couple of weeks. Mine has never lasted longer than that. :-)

11. Lainie

I made this immediately I came across it via Pinterest last night. It’s fantastic and we will never have to buy a separate chocolate flavouring for milkshakes and a syrup for our ice cream. Can’t wait to get some almonds to try out the milk.

Thanks heaps!

1. Fer

Ann:
      You might’ve added too much water. No prob. Pour into pan again and reduce it further…It’s a trial and error thing, since liquids like this one tend to be less viscous (runnier) when hot. Removing some of the water or adding more cocoa and extra sugar to taste should solve the issue, I’m sure. The former is a better solution, IMHO. :-)

1. Mahmah

This is to funny, I’m 60 years old and just asked my mom last week if she remembered the chocolate suyrup she use to make us for our pancake’s, wanted to make them for my grandkids, and here it is. Pancakes never tasted soooooo good, GIVE that a try you will be glad you did.

2. RJ

It can be thin if it isn’t cooked long enough. If it happens you can use as is for chocolate milk or shakes, or put it back on the stove for a little bit. Just don’t cook it too long, or you will have fudge! Wait, probably not a bad thing either! :)

12. Mel

Made this yesterday. My husband isn’t a big believer in homemade stuff (laughs at me about my homemade laundry soap :) ). But he enjoyed it on his ice cream last night. I even tried to justify that it was boiling over so I didn’t get to cook it the correct length of time so it might be runny. He said it was just like the bottled stuff. Thanks Jillee! I will never have to worry about buying Hersey’s syrup again!

13. Christy

Since this recipe is flying around pinterest, I had to try it. I never knew the first two ingredients of hershey’s chocolate syrup was high fructose corn syrup and corn syrup. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE Hershey’s, but I’m not sure I will be buying it anymore. Especially since this is so easy to make. Thank you!!

14. Pingback: Homemade Chocolate Sauce | Life with The Family O

15. Erin

So glad I found this on Pinterest! My 2 year old LOVES chocolate milk. I never liked the unnecessary ingredients in the store bought stuff. So I made this today and it’s very good! She liked it a lot.

16. Joanne Rimmer

My mom always made this for us and now I am making it for my grandchildren, but I threw out the last cocoa tin and my new cocoa doesn’t have a receipe. Thanks for the help. For vanilla syrup I have been using vanilla extract and sugar, but maybe you have a better idea? They would also like strawberry flavor for their milk – any ideas? Thanks.

1. Virginia

I wonder if you used the same basic recipe, but omitted the chocolate and added strawberry koolaid to flavor it ? Same basic idea for vanilla, but use instant pudding mix for flavor??

17. Marianne

It says to use a “small saucepan” but I would use a medium-sized one. Otherwise the syrup will boil over out of the pan.

Not that I would know this or anything. :)

1. Joanne Rimmer

I’m sure that none of us have ever done anything like that, we are all waaaaaaaaaaaay to clever in the kitchen. lol Thanks for the advice.

18. Pingback: The things one does when they are forced to get up at 3:40am « my life. act one.

19. Michele Adams

Oh my…do you know how much chocolate syrup I go through in my house?! I am DEFINATELY going to try this! The large bottle is almost $5….Making it and not telling them….see if they notice!

20. CARRIE

JUST THROUGH MY CONTAINER OUT IN RECYCLING YESTERDAY! DARN IT. MADE IT THIS AM, I AM NOT AN ACE IN THE KITCHEN BUT THIS TURNED OUT PRETTY GOOD! WITH THE CONTAINER I DON’T KNOW IF THE KIDS COULD TELL THE DIFFERENCE. THANKS FOR THE RECIPE!

21. p--

i usually use the hillbillyhousewife chocolate syrup recipe, but willhave to give this a try. i store mine in recycled pint milk bottles; when the syrup has become to difficult to pour (because it’s almost gone), i add milk to the bottle, shake, and pour!

22. Pingback: Homemade Chocolate Syrup | The Illusion of Gourmet

23. Pingback: Homemade Chocolate Syrup « Many Hearts, One Family

24. Pingback: Homemade Chocolate Syrup « Do It And How

25. Amanda

Tried this recipe today, and I must say, very tastey! I used brown sugar in place of the white sugar, and still turned out wonderful.

26. Pingback: Dairy Free Chocolate Syrup, Yes Please! « MJ's Pantry

27. Pingback: Homemade Chocolate Syrup « mousepaw

28. Fran

Jill, you are the bomb! I just made a batch, my 13 year old son and my 20 month old grandson loved it! Its a hit. I will never buy store bought again. Do you have a recipe for strawberry syrup? Thank you bunches ;)