This is one of our family’s favorite things to munch on during the holidays! It’s great to serve at parties and even better to give away as gifts! The best thing….it couldn’t be EASIER to make!
Grandma Nystul’s Sweet and Savory Party Mix
- 1 box of Rice Chex
- 1 box of Corn Chex
- 1 box of Quaker Oatmeal Squares (the “sweet” part of the sweet and savory)
- 1 large bag of pretzel sticks
- 1 large can of mixed nuts (we really like almonds so that’s all I put in this year. However, the hubster was sorely disappointed in the lack of cashews!)
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- 1 tablespoon of celery salt
- 1 pound of butter (4 sticks)
Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
This recipe makes a BIG BATCH! So you will need a BIG ROASTER pan to make it in. But before you put it in the pan I suggest MIXING IT in the biggest bowl you have (or possibly break it up into two bowls).
All you do is literally dump all three boxes of cereal, along with one large bag of pretzel sticks and the nuts, into a bowl and toss gently with a spoon (or you can use your hands like I did). When they are well mixed, sprinkle the seasonings on top and toss a bit more.
Now pour the whole thing into the biggest roaster (with a lid) that you have….and top with 4 sticks of butter. The butter can be hard at this point, it will melt in the oven.
Put pan (with lid on) in the preheated oven. You are going to roast this for 2 hours….giving it a stir every 30 minutes. At the end of the two hours take it out of the oven and let cool before eating. It will get nice and crunchy as it cools. Store in an airtight container.
This is such a simple recipe and it’s the perfect snack for munching on at holiday parties. It’s also a great GIFT for friends, neighbors, co-workers, teachers, etc. Here are just a few ideas for packaging it up.
So what is your favorite edible gift to make?