Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Crockpot Greek Yogurt

At the risk of sounding like a tree hugging, birkenstocks wearing, Subaru driving, recycled bags carrying, Whole Foods shopping, granola eater (not that’s there’s anything WRONG with that!) I did what felt like a very hippie-like thing today…..I made my own yogurt! But not ANY kind of yogurt….GREEK yogurt!!  My new best food friend! In several recent posts I have gushed about how much a LOVE Greek yogurt and all the yummy stuff you can do with it, so I won’t take up room in this post with MORE gushing…but suffice it to say…it’s good stuff! So when I saw this recipe online for making your own homemade greek yogurt from scratch…I got a little excited! Greek yogurt is pretty pricey! Quite a bit more than regular yogurt….but Oh So Good….so I happily pay the price. However, if there were a cheaper, but just as delicious option…I’m all for that!

But I hesitated because it seemed fairly involved (ie. TRICKY for an amateur like myself!) and I wasn’t sure I was QUITE ready for that.  But then I happened up on Shannons Kitchen Creations and her method for making the same recipe IN THE CROCKPOT!  Now THAT sounded like something I could do!  And I DID!

After all was said and done, however, I think next time I make it I will actually COMBINE the two methods. Because the first recipe calls for using a candy thermometer and making sure the mixture is at a certain temp before moving on to the next step. The second recipe only gives lengths of time you spend on each step of the recipe. I think this is a critical difference…..as you will see further down in my post.

So what follows is my adapted version of the two recipes:

Crock Pot Greek Yogurt

adapted from Happy Simple Living and Shannons Kitchen Creations

Ingredients

• 8 cups (half-gallon) of whole, 1%, 2% or skim Pasteurized Milk. Do NOT use ultra-pasteurized
  • 1/2 cup store-bought natural plain yogurt. (Once you have made your own, you can use that as a starter)

Directions

Add a half gallon of milk to crock pot.

Cover

and cook on LOW for approximately 2 1/2 hours.

Using a candy thermometer, check the temperature of the milk. When the milk has reached 180 degrees, unplug the crock pot, remove the cover, and let it sit for another hour or so. You are waiting for the milk to come down in temperature to between 105 and 110 degrees.

When the milk has reached that temp, scoop out 1 to 2 cups of the warmish milk and whisk in 1/2 cup of store-bought yogurt. Then pour the mixture back into the crock pot. Wisk to combine.

At this point I added 3/4 cup honey. I am not a fan of PLAIN yogurt, Greek or otherwise, and since my favorite store-bought variety is honey flavored, I thought I would make my homemade kind honey flavored as well.

Put the lid back on your crock pot, wrap a heavy bath towel around the crock for insulation, and place in the oven with the oven light ON.

Leave the yogurt undisturbed for 7 or 8 hours, or overnight.

In the morning, carefully take the crock out, unwrap it and remove the lid, and check to see whether the milk has turned to yogurt.

(If your batch isn’t quite thickened, return it to the oven and check on it again in an hour.)

Now here’s the part that makes it GREEK yogurt: refrigerate the yogurt for at least three hours to allow it to completely cool and thicken. Line a large strainer with four layers of damp cheesecloth and put inside a bowl. Pour the yogurt in; refrigerate for one hour. Pour out the liquid that has accumulated in the bottom of the bowl; this is the whey. Return the bowl to the refrigerator for one more hour, strain the liquid again and the yogurt should now look…….

… thick and creamy.

Now go ahead and eat it just like that or mix it with your favorite fruit, granola, etc.

This was my evening snack. Frozen blueberries mixed with Greek Yogurt. Yum-O!

Tasted delicious, creamy and just the right amount of sweetness. And……

I MADE IT! :-)

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

176 thoughts on “Crockpot Greek Yogurt

1. Sarah @ Nature's Nurture

Wow, Jillee! I never thought to make yogurt in the crock pot – now I’ve seen it all (for crock pot uses, that is!) I’ve been making yogurt the way my mom taught me, which is fairly straightforward, but the crock pot adds a whole level of ease and simplicity! Thanks for sharing, can’t wait to try it out :)

1. kate

I’m guessing I can’t make this out of coconut milk or coconut/almond milk blend? I am finally ready to rid my diet of the estrogens that lactating cows, sheep and goats all transfer into their milk. It’s a sad day, I know, but health reasons win out.

Kate

2. Brendajos

Ooh i am intrigued. I go through a LOT of greek yogurt. Like 3-4 qts a week! Can you tell us how much you made with this recipe? Thank you!

1. Jillee Post author

Brendajos…the amount of Greek yogurt I ended up with ALMOST filled the container you see in the last picture…which is 32 ounces. You could easily double this recipe by adding a whole gallon of milk to start and 1 cup of “starter” yogurt.

3. Patricia

I have tried this several times and it works like a charm. I usually make it plain so that I can divide my yogurt for several uses. I use it in place of sour cream because it has the same consistency and the kiddos and hubby don’t really notice to much. I don’t like wasting the whey that is poured off. I definitely think that there should be something done with it. Great post!

1. Jillee Post author

That is a really good idea Patricia. I think next time I will make it plain as well. More options that way. I’m a girl who likes options. :-) I thought the same thing about the whey…but for the life of me I couldn’t figure out what to do with it.

2. Sarah

Hey i didnt read past your comment so i am sorry if this was told to you already but you dont have to waste the whey. you can make ricotta cheese out of it. =) here is a website that tells you howhttp://www.cheesemaking.com/store/pg/217-Ricotta.html

1. Patricia

(I have seen where the whey was used for farmers’ cheese or Ricotta. I wonder… :>) I wrote this before I read this and then had issues posting it.

1. Jillee Post author

I think you will be fine without the oven light. As a matter of fact…the hubster texted me this morning after reading this post and admitted that he had turned OFF the oven light when he saw that “someone had left it on”! grrrrr. lol.

It’s just to add a wee bit of warmth. You could turn on the oven for like 30 seconds and then turn it off and would probably get much the same effect.

4. Jeanne

Wow- This is wonderful! Everyone in my house enjoys greek yogurt and as I was reading I was thinking of the awesome flavors I could make using frozen strawberries, bananas, pineapple, mangoes, etc! And I can make sure we are eating low fat varieties. Now all I need is more milk, more 1 cup containers, a raid of the frozen fruit section…. :)

5. Pingback: recipes | Pearltrees

6. Christina

I am a university student and I make my own yogurt in a crock pot as well! Since my boyfriend and I eat 4 containers of greek yogurt a week I calculated that we save between 30 and 40 a month with minimal effort! Also I freeze my whey if I don’t use it within a couple days and add it to breads and baking which is nice.

I couldn’t find/didn’t look very hard for cheese clothe so I use a clean white dish towel instead, which worked great. I have always used 3.25% milk (homogenized) as I heard its more difficult to get a thicker constancy with lower milk fat concentrations. Do you mind sharing what milk you used?

1. Jillee Post author

Great stuff Christina! That is awesome. I’m glad you mentioned the dish towel. I’ve read people who’ve used dish towels, tea towels, even paper towels.
      Since we drink 1% milk…that’s what I used…but I was wondering the same thing…whether I might get a creamier yogurt with the higher fat milk. Interesting idea. Thanks for sharing!

1. Cathy

I have made many batches of yogurt using NONFAT SKIM milk in the crockpot and strained it for Greek yogurt. It turns out wonderfully! (my recipe does not call for checking temperature with a thermometer or refrigerating before straining either…) Still almost always turns out well for me. Once in awhile it will be a little less firm.

7. Elizabeth

I have a question ok maybe 3 :) … (possibly a dumb one .. lol ) but where do I get cheese cloth ? And is the “regular” yogurt the yogurt before you drain out the Whey ? And do you think I could make lactose free yogurt using the lactose milk ? My daughter can’t handle much milk and was just complaining (maybe with a bit of screaming involved … lol ) that the yogurt people hate her because they only have 3 flavors of lactose free yogurt, (so if I could make her some of her own with fruit she picked out that would beyond awesome, and so very nice on my check book!) gotta love dramatic 10 yr olds :)

1. Jillee Post author

I got my cheesecloth at Walmart. (There are no dumb question by the way! At least not on THIS blog…because *I* ask them all the time! lol)
      Yes, it is “regular” yogurt before you strain it.
      I really don’t know about how the lactose free milk would work….but I say give it a try and let the rest of us know! :-)) You will be a hero!

2. Connie

Hi Elizabeth…the nice thing about yogurt is that during the “cooking” process, the lactose is consumed by the bacteria, which produced lactic acid, which is what preserves the yogurt. Therefore, since the bacteria happily eat up much of the lactose while fermenting, many lactose-intolerant people can enjoy yogurt. Yay!

1. Amanda

Thank you so much for the info ladies! My mother shared this recipe with me and I love it! I am lactose (or just rich foods in geneal) sensitive ever since I had my galbladder (sp?) removed. It has been hard for me to find low calorie, healthy foods to snack on that would cure my craving for yourt. This recipe works! By the way I wanted to add… I keep my house at 58* to 60* at night. This is too cool for it to turn into yogurt! Make sure that your milk/ yogurt doesn’t get too cool while it’s culturing in the oven! Thanks agin for the recipe!!!

1. Sarah

Elizabeth, my sister has gone totally of milk so I looked around and discovered you can turn coconut milk into yogurt with much the same method as this. Look it up and maybe it’ll work well for you!

8. Elizabeth

Jillee, Thanks :) Where exactly at in walmart, and are the washable or do you have to get new ones each time ? I think I may try the lactose free yogurt first and maybe even try to see if I can get lactose free greek yogurt, I will definitely let you know :)

1. Sarah

You can use coffee filters in a strainer instead of cheesecloth. That’s what I’ve always done and it’s worked great. I also just do it right when it’s done, without chilling it first.

2. Tess

I have found the cheesecloth at WalMart in the “craft/sewing” section… Look there, should be in a package hanging on one of the displays! If you don’t see, ask one of the people in that section… they’ll help! I am so excited about this recipe!!! ☺

1. Beth

Cheesecloth can be found in most grocery stores here and probably Walmart, even Michaels Crafts near halloween. You should be able to find it where you would pick up your canning/preserving supplies. (eg: pectin, mason lids & jars)
        Please do use your whey! It is Way to Valuable to toss! It helps your bread to rise more quickly, bread seems to be softer texture. Whey is High in Protien! Maybe I can get my son to use it in his after workout drink.
        I made liquid laundry detergent today. I put 12 Tbspn (3/4 C) each Borax & Washing Soda in a 1 litre(quart) jar which had 1 cup very hot water in it & 8 tbspn (1/2 c) Dawn Dish Det and a squirt of Mrs Stewarts Bluing (always used in diaper loads), mostly for colour this time as it is supposed to be best in the rinse cycle. It doesn’t bleach but whites have a brighter appearance. After stirring for a while I added another cup of hot water. This should make 4 batches of the Laundry detergent. I instructed him to use 1/2 C (+ a little) of this Concentrate to his empty jug & add 3 1/2 cups of water to make his next batch(approx 4 c LD). You recommended to use 2 litres of water to the 3Tbsp B & S & 2Tbs Dawn. You suggested 1 cup of liquid per load. I’d rather use less water and use 1/4 cup of theLD (Maybe that should be 1/2 cup – it is 3:20am and I think my brain is getting foggy, finally. 1/4 c seemed right earlier in the day. You can increase as needed.)
        I plan to make the Greek yogurt tomorrow. I have honey! 2 kids eat 4 tubs in 2 days @ $4 a pack. I’ve drained the whey out of the plain low/no fat yogurt for years to use instead of the high fat expensive cream cheese for my cheesecakes. I did it because I didn’t like the flavour of the cr cheese yrs ago.
        My doctor said I was better off making my cheesecake this way and it was better for me (a diabetic) than IceCream.So I could have a treat more often. I also place a dish of yogurt with my own fruit in the freezer for 1 hour and have my own IceCreamyYogurt Treat; I don’t like yogurt unless it is frozen. The manufactured frozen yogurt desserts have to much sugar and the ‘low’ones have more salt added to boost flavour. Salt is another enemy of mine rdi is all my diet is supposed to have in 1 month. I live very low salt – it is hard.

9. Susie E

I make a gallon of yogurt at a time using this method and we love it. But I have found a step that lets me skip the straining part…I add 1 1/2 cups of non instant powdered milk to the gallon of whole milk. when I pour it into the crockpot. The extra protein makes the yogurt nice and thick, and I don’t need to strain it. I have found I get a better consistency when I keep it at 100 degrees, but the oven with the light on seems to work just fine for that.

1. Kathy

YES! So glad you said this. I had been gathering info on regular yogurt making and noticed that all the recipes included varying portions of powdered milk for this reason…..

So when I noticed the pics of the yogurt didn’t look as firm as FAGE, my favorite Greek yogurt, I was hoping the powdered milk would be all it took to “firm it up”…though I”m guessing I’d still strain it to get the sour taste of the whey out….that’s what makes it so YUMMY!!

10. Denise

Now you need to make Ginger Beer out of the whey you drained from the yogurt. I have a GREAT recipe for this that I will need to look up but let me know if you want it! The whey allows you to get a naturally fermented ginger beer drink with all the good probiotics!!!!

1. Sheila

My my yes please lets have it ginger beer sounds very interesting. I have been making my own greek yogurt for a while now infact I posted a note about it on your frozen blueberry and greek yogurt blog lol.

2. Tess

Denise, PLEASE share your Ginger Beer recipe… have been looking at recipes & hoping to find a good one!!! To make use of the whey is so very helpful!! Lots of great ideas here!!!

3. Leslie P.

I’d love to have the ginger beer recipe! I’m a liver patient, so salt and alcohol and acetaminophen are my worst enemies. (Ginger beer is nonalcoholic, I hope?) I’ve learned a great deal about natural foods and sodium free cooking in the last few years. I hardly eat meat at all anymote, so the yogurt is ideal for me as a source of protein. Looking forward to trying it out!

11. Aphraell

It’s not just Greek Yoghurt! It’s Turkish yoghurt at the same time. We have almost same cultures and same tastes because of our geographic closeness. We make our yoghurt at home all the time, and we make it without crockpot cooking :) we just heat milk until it boils, add yoghurt yeast (a part of yoghurt) and wrap the pot with blankets for protect the heat. This way it inhales slowly and nicely ferments. But i’m not sure if that method requires fresh milk -directly from cow- instead of pasteurized milk. Anyway, your yoghurt looks delicious too, its really healthy to use it in meals :)

12. Mary Alice

I have followed this recipe. When it comes time to have the forming yogurt sit in the crockpot, I simply wrapped my crock pot in two large towels and set it overnight on my counter. This worked just fine.

Another way to strain the yogurt is by putting a large coffee filter in your strainer. This is much cheaper than buying cheese cloth. Clean up is a breeze as you just throw it away when you are done straining.

I have used the whey in my bread baking. I did read that it is quite good for a dog’s fur – gives it a nice, healthy shine.

13. Brianna @ RMV

So, if you happen to forget it in the fridge while draining… Say over night… Not that I would do anything like that! You’ll end up with a yogurt spread kind of the texture of softened cream cheese. It makes a tangy spread for bagels and toast.

14. rosebriars

Jillee, you can make it much simpler than that! It’s pretty darn hard to ruin yogurt…i’ve made it successfully 1) with reconstituted powdered milk, 2) when I let it cool 4 hours longer than suggested before adding the starter and 3) out of milk I forgot to turn off (for 3 extra hours!) and completely scalded, then added previously frozen yogurt.

Tip #1) To get the most bang for your buck, make sure your starter has several probiotic strains; many ‘store’ brands just have l. acidophilus; I like Nancy’s (from Oregon) it has 6 different strains.

Tip #2) Don’t bother scooping milk out to whisk with starter; just dump the starter straight in the crock and whisk it. Trust me. It doesn’t change the end product at all and saves time and dishwashing.

Tip #3) You don’t have to put the crock in the oven, just leave it on the counter wrapped in a towel, like Shannon did. If you’re going to strain it anyway consistency isn’t a big deal.

Tip #4) BEFORE you strain it scoop out a half cup for starter for your next batch and put it in a little container in the fridge. No reason to use strained yogurt for starter. If you’re not going to be able to make more within about 2 weeks, freeze your starter. It’ll work when you get back to it (although I’d use it within about a month).

Welcome to the *crunchy* world of yogurt making! And here’s a challenge to use the whey…make your own lacto-fermented mayonaise (it’s so cool!) http://sarahs-musings.blogspot.com/2010/02/lacto-fermented-mayonnaise.html

15. Elizabeth

So I made this last night/today using lactose free milk … it seems to have worked however my daughter and husband have not tested it yet .. lol … also after reading the instructions (again probably for the millionth time .. lol) was I supposed to chill the yogurt for 3 hours and then drain it ? Cause if so oops ! I will still let you know how everyone likes it … and make another batch and not mess it up this time … lol

16. Elizabeth

Ok the yogurt has been tested and approved (well, the only complaint was that it wasn’t sweet enough .. lol) … so you can use Lactose free milk … however my lactose free milk did take about 3 1/2 hrs to reach 180, although I’m not sure if that is because of the milk or because of my crock pot … now I’m trying it with whole milk for the other kids …. I don’t think I can thank you enough for the recipe and directions this is going to save me a ton of money :)

1. Tess

Read Connie’s June 5 post on your April 4th post: or here, I copy/pasted for you…

Connie June 5, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Companies & stores will put the wording to sell a product!!! This is very good to know… I have friends who are definitely lactose intolerant and they have no trouble with yogurt!! ☺

1. Liz

I am lactose intolerant and fairly sensitive at that. I can eat any variety of yogurt without any problem. I can also eat cultured sour cream (for exactly the same reason). Even a few sips of regular milk turn my entire day upside down, but yogurt I can eat without taking enzyme pills.

17. Amy

Made this a few days ago. Tastes great with some honey or jam mixed in! I love the consistency! Mine turned out a lot thicker than anything I’ve bought at the store and I really like

18. Pingback: Greek Yogurt in the Crockpot | Pinspired

19. Gayle

I wonder if you could do it with almond milk. I live pretty much dairy free, but I do miss my yoghurt! Will get some starter and give it a try!

20. Mysteryrose

I’d love to try this recipe! We raise dairy goats amd I want to try it with raw goat milk. Question though: to make a flavored yogurt would I need to add honey for sweetness and then puréed fruit? Or would the fruit be sweet enough? I have super picky kids….. They use to eat storebought flavored yogurt but I quit buying it because of the sugar content. Thinking that making my own would be cheaper and more healthy….

1. Tess

Mysteryrose, I suggest following Jillee’s recipe with the honey & add fruit… I use frozen fruit in bottom of each cup… top with the honeyed yogurt… Let me know how your kids like it!!

21. Sonya

O.K., so I’m new to Greek yogurt, and I’ve heard one of the reasons it is popular is because of its higher protein content. So does this yogurt have a higher protein content also? It seems like the protein in the milk plus the protein in the starter yogurt would equal the protein in the home-made yogurt. How does the protein content increase?

22. Cathy

I’m not sure either, but I think the Greek yogurt is more concentrated than the regular yogurt because of straining all the whey out of it. I would be interested to know if it is something else also.

23. Sandy

I am definitely going to try this! Thanks. Am wondering……could you research a way to make homemade coconut milk yogurt? I hope so! Sounds so yummy.

1. Tess

I Googled “homemade coconut milk yogurt” and got MANY listings… even making your own coconut milk to make the yogurt with!! Enjoy your Google search!!!

24. Alisha

Jillee, thanks so much for all the helpful information. Whey should be used just like water, only it adds more protein to your food. Instead of chicken stock for potatos, whey, instead of water for rice – whey, same for quinoa, couscous, etc. It adds much more flavor, and tons more protein, and nutrients. Hope that helps. Love your site! Enjoyed learning from you. Tried the yogurt yesterday, it’s all ready today, and we are all enjoying it! Thanks for being here. I look forward to your emails.

25. Glenda

I haven’t made any yet but can’t wait to try this as most of my family likes Greek yogurt. My question is if we like thicker yogurt why couldn’t you use a whole cup of starter yogurt to 1/2 gal. milk instead of just the 1/2 cup. Wouldn’t that make it thicker to start with, then there wouldn’t be as much whey to strain out?

26. Wendy

Made a double batch two days ago…and it’s already gone! I didn’t save a starter for my next batch (note to self: take out the starter first before letting family know there’s more Greek Yogurt in the house)
    My hubby likes honey-vanilla flavored Greek Yogurt, and I prefer strawberry. When would I add pureed strawberries to the mix? Would be it at the same time that you added the honey and starter?

I also want to use this recipe for making Frozen Yogurt Drops (http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/03/frozen-yogurt-dots.html?spref=fb) But I think I will skip the 2nd straining and just use regular yogurt (not Greek style) for the frozen Yogurt drops…do you think that will work? Has anyone else tried it?

1. Danielle

I’ve made the yogurt drops with regular and Greek yogurt and they both work but the Greek yogurt makes them extra delicious! Either way, any kid that enters my house immediately runs to the freezer and starts asking for yogurt drops…

27. Jennifer M.

I’ve made a few batches of crockpot yogurt now and I love it! It’s so easy and almost fail-proof! Just a couple of tips that you might find useful: I don’t always have time to wait for the milk to be heated to 180 degrees in the crockpot. That process takes about 3 hours. Then another 2 and a half hours to cool back down. Give or take. So I speed things up by heating the milk on the stove and then I pour it in the crockpot. If I don’t have time to allow it to cool naturally, I put the crock in the freezer for about 10 minutes. Once it reaches 115 degrees, I stir the yogurt right into the milk. I’ve even used store bought vanilla yogurt as the source for the active live cultures. It works just fine! It’s always fun to see the freshly made yogurt! I’m always so proud of myself! But really, it’s the easiest thing to make. Try it!

28. Jennilynne16

Oh my, this is an amazing thing. But I’m SO sad I can’t do it. I have no oven light. I know, who even heard of an oven without a light? Well, my apartment complex apparently. Also don’t have a window, so I guess it makes sense. Darn it! I could LIVE off Greek Yogurt (if I could afford it!). So if anyone knows an alternative to the oven light (possibly the crock pot on warm, maybe preheating the oven, etc) that might work, please please let me know. : )

1. Connie

Hey,

Just wrap your crockpot up real good with towels/blanket and DO NOT DISTURB it during the 7+ hours it is sitting. I bet you’ll still end up with great results. You don’t want to heat the mixture too much because you can easily kill the cultures in the yogurt. Good luck!

1. Jillee Post author

I am going to try that Connie! I’ll let you know! It’s about time to make some more. :-) I’ve been using LOTS of it in my homemade frozen peach yogurt lately! yummmmm!!!

1. Diana

Connie is right!I do mine on the counter – never in the oven. Just time it where you can leave it sit overnight wrapped in a couple of beach towels (unplug the crockpot and cover the whole thing (base and crock with lid if it’s a removeable crock – will insulate it better. I have never put in the oven because I have a gas oven and the heebie-geebies about putting a towel in there and going to bed!

2. Emily

I don’t have an oven light, and I just made this with good results. I just wrapped it in a towel and put it in the oven without the light. I don’t know if that’s any warmer than the counter top, but it allowed me to use my counter top for other purposes.

29. Amanda

THANK YOU for this! I made my first batch yesterday, and used the whey to make a biscuit recipe I found on SparkRecipes.com–another keeper! FABULOUS!!

30. Chris

I haven’t read all the comments, so someone might have already said this. I think you might like my recipe. I will save you a little bit of time and effort. After you turn off your crockpot, just leave it off for three hours (don’t have to take the temp). Then add your yogurt and cover with two heavy towels for at least 8 hours. You can also strain it with coffee filters to make it thicker. I find this very easy and very simple.

31. Abby

I LOVE Greek yogurt! This looks great! I guess that is good reason to fix my oven light =) I found a Greek yogurt spreadable cheese, that is very similar to cream cheese in consistency. If you were to make plain yogurt and strain it further, like you do with regular yogurt to make cheese, you would probably get that as well, add some herbs like chives and (or leave it plain) and you’d get a great spreadable (and probably less expensive version) of cream cheese.

If you haven’t made yogurt cheese before, here is a link http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/17/dining/17mini.html

32. Debi

I just made this and it is amazing. Since I try to stay away from sugar and flour as much as possible, I used 3/4 of a cup of stevia in the raw. It is truly delicious and so easy to make. I had to stop myself from eating it all at once it was so good. I had it with blackberries yesterday. Today will be mixed berries.

33. Lauren

My first batch is currently straining in the fridge, but I’m so excited about this! One of our local grocery stores is now selling milk for $2/gallon all the time, so I can make DD’s yogurt at home for $1/quart! We have a garden, so I’m going to try the recommendations of using the whey out there. I’ll be awaiting your post for turning it into ricotta, though! ;)

34. Kelli Bullock

I use the whey in my smooties and I’ve also heard you can use it in bread in place of the water. I love this recipe and I’m going to try it today. I tried a slightly different the first time I tried it and now I’ll give yours a try.

Thanks for your help.

35. Debi Bolocofsky

Jillee,

This was the best yogurt that I have ever tasted, and so easy. When I first read the recipe, I didn’t really think it would be that easy. I changed it a little, because I don’t eat sugar if at all possible. I changed the sweetener to 3/4 of a cup of Stevia in the Raw. It worked perfectly. I am sending a link to my cousin, since he loves yogurt also. I tried telling some other people how easy it was, and they just stare at me. I think that I need to walk around handing copies of your blog page with the recipe, to convince them.

Thanks again for another wonderful idea.
    Debi

36. Jacob Crim

Geez I spend five bucks a week on the little individual servings at Trader Joes. Time to make my own! One question, is the protein content still high to your knowledge?

37. Holly

I just made my first batch of Greek yogurt with my hot tub! I was going to use my crock pot but I measured the temp on warm and it was 150, so the hot tub seemed much simpler. I was in a hurry so I didn’t even bother to heat my raw milk. I just poured the milk into a 1/2 gallon mason jar, added around 2 Tbs Greek yogurt, made sure the lid went on super tight and shook it up well, sunk the jar in my hot tub, strained after 8 hours and put it in the blender with some raw local honey and vanilla. So good! So easy! For creamy yogurt I’ve heard that you need to heat the milk for several hours at 180 before hand to denature the milk and help the protein align. I like the goodness of raw so I’m not interested in denaturing but you might be.

38. Grady

I’m surprised that you ask what to do with the Whey? I drink it, always have, it’s wonderful. FWIW, I’m 60 and been making yogurt most of my adult life.

39. Barbara

I have used the whey from making crock pot yoguret to make biscuits, pancakes and even poured it in some soup once. Good stuff. :)

40. Debra

I love, love, love making yogurt!! I also make it in a crock pot. My version turns out wonderfully smooth and creamy, but I use cream as well as a bit of powdered milk. I find mine is thick enough that I don’t have to strain it, but I think I will next time to see the difference. I let mine set in mason jars and add the flavourings to individual servings. My favourite topping is home made rhubarb sauce and sprinkled with frozen blueberries! Yum!