Friday, April 6, 2012

Frozen Yogurt-Covered Blueberry Kabobs

EUREKA!!!

After racking my tired brain for WEEKS trying to figure out an easier way to make my new favorite treat, Frozen Yogurt-Covered Blueberry Bites, I did it!   **doing a happy dance**

It’s actually kind of frightening how OBVIOUS it was…and yet it took me so long to figure it out.  Ah well….better late than never I say.

Frozen Yogurt-Covered Blueberry Kabobs

Ingredients:

Yogurt
Blueberries
Wooden Skewers

Method:

If you are using frozen blueberries, take some out of the freezer and let sit at room temp for 5 to 10 minutes to soften up just a a little bit. (Makes it easier to skewer those little suckers.)

Take your skewer and start stabbing blueberries! You’ll need to use your fingers to slide them up the stick individually. I slid mine about 1/2 way up the stick.

(If you are planning on feeding this to small children (or even big ones!) I would suggest snipping off the sharp pointy end at this point.)

Keeping stabbing/skewering berries until you reach the end of the stick.

Now lay that baby down in a lovely pillow of yogurt (I love the honey greek yogurt) and ROLL BABY, ROLL!

Would you look at that!?!? A perfect Blueberry Yogurt Kabob that took all of about 1 minute!

Now go crazy and make as many as your little heart desires (or your freezer will hold.)

I put most of mine in a container standing on end and then placed them in the chest freezer out in our garage (they were too tall for my kitchen freezer)…

…but you can also just carefully lay them out on a plate or cookie sheet. Both work wonderfully!

Now go distract yourself for about half an hour with something useful (or not) and in that short a time you have

a beautiful frozen treat!!

Warning:  making Frozen Yogurt Blueberry Kabobs will result in purple finger syndrome, despite repeated licking of fingers during the kabob making process.

Don’t panic. A little “Miracle Cleaner” (baking soda and peroxide) takes it right off. :-)

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

42 thoughts on “Frozen Yogurt-Covered Blueberry Kabobs

1. Christy

I am so glad to see you are still postings. I sadly have missed it the last week. For some reason my Blogger reading list has not updated your blog posts since your new page layout. :( I am <3 ing the new layout of your page and will resubscribe and hope that will fix me up. Oh and this looks totally delish!

2. Jillee Post author

Christy and landfrau74…..you may have to go into your Blogger reader list and MANUALLY add my website again. Since I made the switch to WordPress…I am not automatically added anymore. :-/

3. Pingback: 10 Ways to Cook with Blueberries | Fruit Maven

4. Pingback: Weekend Reading :: May 26, 2012 « raising vintage kids in a modern world

5. Pingback: Eten en Drinken: Yoghurt-Fruit Saté | www.glim.org

6. Hyacynth

These look fabulous! I’m actually writing a round up for CBS Local Chicago, and I am linking to this recipe here on your blog. Any chance we could use your picture in the article to display next to the link to you? Could you email me if you’d be willing? hyacynthworth{at}yahoo{dot}com.

7. Pingback: One Week of Summer Treats to Beat the Heat: Vanilla Blueberry Kabobs | a rented kitchen

8. Shirley

Such a good, quick, kid-friendly idea! I love your blog and all the awesome ideas and tips you post. I am still referencing the coconut oil and baking soda posts! Thank you for sharing

9. Pingback: Tasty Tuesday: Frozen Yogurt-Covered Berries « barley & birch

10. Pingback: Blueberry Kabobs – Nailed It | CraftFail

11. Steph

I made a bunch of these the other day. One bunch for our family and one for my daughter’s nursery school snack. YUM!The kids at school really enjoyed them! I added bananas to our batch but wish I added them to both batches. Very good with bananas. Make sure they’re a little frozen before adding onto skewer, they’ll get mushy and hard to keep on skewer, or make thicker slices. These frozen yogurt blueberry treat are so good! I’m glad I found these! I will repeatedly make them to have on hand. Makes a nice, simple dessert as well. Great snack for all ages!

12. Deborah

I made these (skewers – BRILLIANT, by the way) using vanilla Greek yogurt and fresh blueberries & strawberries. I had never had vanilla yogurt of any kind before and I was a little disappointed that it tasted so bitter. I liked the blueberry/yogurt combo better than the strawberry combo, but I’m not sure that I liked either one of them well enough to try this again. Where did I go wrong? I LOVE LOVE LOVE berries so it’s not that; should I have used honey yogurt instead of vanilla?

At this point I’m thinking of rinsing the yogurt off and just salvaging the berries, or possibly just putting the whole lot in a blender. Please help me figure out how to get more enjoyment out of this healthy snack.

Thank you, Jillee.

13. Pingback: Healthy Living » Blog Archive » 31 Healthy Snacks for Fruit Lovers

14. Pingback: 31 Healthy Snacks for Fruit Lovers - Panic and Anxiety News Blog | Panic and Anxiety News Blog

15. Pingback: Healthy Frozen Yogurt -Covered Blueberry Kabobs - Where Home Starts

16. Pingback: 101 Ways to Embrace Summer {The 2013 List} | Family Your Way

17. Pingback: 43 Hydrating Recipes for Summer - Panic and Anxiety News Blog | Panic and Anxiety News Blog

18. Pingback: 43 Hydrating Recipes for Summer - FitnessFocussed.com

19. Pingback: try it out tuesday. | the fine print.

20. Pingback: Cook! Blog » 7 Healthy Ways to Keep Your Cool This Summer

21. Pingback: How to Host a Beer Tasting | Brewing Together

22. Pingback: 43 Hydrating Recipes for Summer | Complete Recipe

23. Renee

These look so good! I actually saw your photos on Instagram from @cheflisiparsons. I knew I had seem them before someplace. (You might want to ask her to credit you) I have so many blueberries in my freezer. This is a perfect way to use them up.

24. Pingback: Mini Frozen Blueberry Yogurt Pops

25. Pingback: Berries on a Stick | Lovin' my Plexus Slim!

26. Pingback: Pinteresting Projects- Strawberry Treats

27. Pingback: Recipe Hack: Frozen Yogurt-Covered Fruit Kabobs | life with a side of yamz

28. Pingback: Greek Yogurt – It’s Not Just For Breakfast Anymore! | One Good Thing by Jillee