A Simple Hanging Dish Towel {That Actually Stays Put!}

It’s time to address another “Pet Peeve” of mine. This particular PEEVE has been plaguing me for a very long time!  PLEASE tell me I’m not alone on this one!

It’s the oh-so-annoying slipping dish towel!  You know the one you hang on the stove door handle that INEVITABLY ends up on the floor???

WHY I keep putting one there when I KNOW it’s going to fall off is beyond me!

But it’s just such a handy location to keep a dish towel that I keep on doing it! And then I keep on being annoyed by it!

Now…I have seen some crafty ideas for attaching a hanging towel to the stove door handle. But everything I’ve seen involves a bit more effort than I am willing to put in on something like this. I’m looking for QUICK and EASY!

Well, I came CLOSE to finding it here at Hot Flash’n Craft’n.

I LOVE the concept of just wrapping the towel around the bar and using the REST of the towel to anchor ITSELF to the bar so that it stays put. (I’m sure there’s some “technical” term for that…but I have no idea what it is.)

But while I love the IDEA…after looking more closely at the tutorial I decided it definitely wasn’t worth THAT much time and effort!  However, it DID inspire me to put my own SPIN on it!

All you need is:

• a dish towel of your choosing. (I just grabbed some very basic ones at Walmart)
  • the ability to sew an XXL “button hole” onto the towel
  • a pair of scissors

THAT IS IT!

As you can see from the above photos….you just need to decide where you would like the “button hole” to be, mark it with a couple of pins (I made mine roughly 5 inches wide), sew around the giant “button hole” using a zig-zag stitch (I went over it twice on each side to make it more durable), then use a seam ripper or scissors to open up the “button hole”.

Now just hang, tuck and pull!

THESE dish towels aren’t going ANYWHERE! (Until I want them to that is.)  :-)

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter2Pin on Pinterest9,855Google+0

Comments

1. Kim says

Love this I am going to have to do this, I have the same issue and you are not alone. I finally just throw them on the counter, but they are always in the way. The kids will clean up a spill with it and leave it on the counter. :/

• trudy says

That’s exactly what my kids do! And my (usually well behaved) husband! Just dragged my sewing machine out just so I can work on projects such as this. In the process, I can address what is definitely one of my own pet peeves.

2. Debbie says

Oh I LOVE this idea!! I’m so tired of picking it up off the floor all the time! It’s time to dust off the sewing machine and get to work! Thanks for another brilliant idea (that I should have thought of!)

3. Connie says

You’re a genius! Great idea, now the towel will never be found in a sad little heap on the floor somewhere in the kitchen :-)

4. Kathy T says

This is so funny, I just read that tutorial yesterday and decided it was more work than I wanted to do! But, I can commit to 1 large buttonhole. Thanks for sharing.

5. Karen says

How difficult is it to get *off* the oven handle? Is there much resistance or does it require 2 hands? Curious!

Not difficult at all Karen. I do hold the top part down while I pull the bottom part up through the opening….but it only takes a second!

6. Amy says

The $.79 TEKLA dish towel from Ikea already has a loop sewn on that works the same way as this. I’ve had them in my house for 5 years and didn’t think of hanging them this way until I saw this!

• Kat T says

I just had the same idea about the Tekla towels. I think their hand towels also have the same strap for in the bathroom – I started pinning the hand towels so they would stay on the rods not on the floor.

7. Frankie says

Thank you thank you thank you!!! I love this idea and as soon as I read your email I did it!!. It seems like I’m the only one in house who ever sees the towel on the floor and picks it up!!! No more!!! YAY!!!!

8. Demaroge says

Hi Jillee!!! I think that “technical term” you are searching for may be….drum roll please…..

……a slip knot.

That just might be it and if it isn’t it may just be a good substitute! :)

Love the idea and thanks for sharing it!