A Simple Hanging Dish Towel {That Actually Stays Put!}

It’s time to address another “Pet Peeve” of mine. This particular PEEVE has been plaguing me for a very long time!  PLEASE tell me I’m not alone on this one!

It’s the oh-so-annoying slipping dish towel!  You know the one you hang on the stove door handle that INEVITABLY ends up on the floor???

WHY I keep putting one there when I KNOW it’s going to fall off is beyond me!

But it’s just such a handy location to keep a dish towel that I keep on doing it! And then I keep on being annoyed by it!

Now…I have seen some crafty ideas for attaching a hanging towel to the stove door handle. But everything I’ve seen involves a bit more effort than I am willing to put in on something like this. I’m looking for QUICK and EASY!

Well, I came CLOSE to finding it here at Hot Flash’n Craft’n.

I LOVE the concept of just wrapping the towel around the bar and using the REST of the towel to anchor ITSELF to the bar so that it stays put. (I’m sure there’s some “technical” term for that…but I have no idea what it is.)

But while I love the IDEA…after looking more closely at the tutorial I decided it definitely wasn’t worth THAT much time and effort!  However, it DID inspire me to put my own SPIN on it!

All you need is:

• a dish towel of your choosing. (I just grabbed some very basic ones at Walmart)
  • the ability to sew an XXL “button hole” onto the towel
  • a pair of scissors

THAT IS IT!

As you can see from the above photos….you just need to decide where you would like the “button hole” to be, mark it with a couple of pins (I made mine roughly 5 inches wide), sew around the giant “button hole” using a zig-zag stitch (I went over it twice on each side to make it more durable), then use a seam ripper or scissors to open up the “button hole”.

Now just hang, tuck and pull!

THESE dish towels aren’t going ANYWHERE! (Until I want them to that is.)  :-)

Share on Facebook182Tweet about this on Twitter2Pin on Pinterest9,651Google+0

Comments

1. Kim says

Love this I am going to have to do this, I have the same issue and you are not alone. I finally just throw them on the counter, but they are always in the way. The kids will clean up a spill with it and leave it on the counter. :/

• trudy says

That’s exactly what my kids do! And my (usually well behaved) husband! Just dragged my sewing machine out just so I can work on projects such as this. In the process, I can address what is definitely one of my own pet peeves.

2. Debbie says

Oh I LOVE this idea!! I’m so tired of picking it up off the floor all the time! It’s time to dust off the sewing machine and get to work! Thanks for another brilliant idea (that I should have thought of!)

3. Amy says

The $.79 TEKLA dish towel from Ikea already has a loop sewn on that works the same way as this. I’ve had them in my house for 5 years and didn’t think of hanging them this way until I saw this!

• Kat T says

I just had the same idea about the Tekla towels. I think their hand towels also have the same strap for in the bathroom – I started pinning the hand towels so they would stay on the rods not on the floor.

4. Frankie says

Thank you thank you thank you!!! I love this idea and as soon as I read your email I did it!!. It seems like I’m the only one in house who ever sees the towel on the floor and picks it up!!! No more!!! YAY!!!!

5. Demaroge says

Hi Jillee!!! I think that “technical term” you are searching for may be….drum roll please…..

……a slip knot.

That just might be it and if it isn’t it may just be a good substitute! :)

Love the idea and thanks for sharing it!

6. Kathy says

Thank you for sharing this with us. This is much easier than cutting them into two pieces and making a topper with a flap. I’m going to try and keep this in my mind to do with some of mine. Thanks again. KLT

7. Demaroge says

I am thinking that sewing a small strip of bias tape or ribbon to make a loop would work, too! [P.S. I HATE HATE HATE making button holes! I don't have an automatic buttonholer and I never seem to be able to get them straight....and they are such a pain to remove!]

8. AnnB says

What a great idea! This sure beats what I was doing…I’ve been cutting 1/4 of the towel off and crocheting an edge and loop strap with a button to keep them on but the yarn gets nasty and doesn’t clean up well. I love it! Thanks!

PS…I think I will make the button hole a little bigger so it will pull out/off easily when I need….any thoughts or comments about making it bigger?

9. Tina Stephens says

HOORAY!!!!! OH this is ALWAYS driving me up the wall! I put a clean towel out only to fine it under the stove, walked on thing thing spilled on it and then I don’t want to dry my clean hands or a clean dish with it not knowing of the kids dirty feet have been on it. I will be doing this and making sure to share it with all of my friends and making sure to include this in my gift baskets for the holidays and other occasions. Jilliee I love your blog so much, I am going through a battle with agoraphobia right now and your blog is a ray of sunshine for me. Thank you.

Love this idea! I’m not very good at sewing, but I have a friend that is usually willing to do these kinds of little sewing tasks for me when I need it. In exchange, I keep her computers up and running. Pretty good trade off. :-)

11. Mama T says

I do something similar to this, that requires no sewing at all. My almost 2 year old likes to pull the towels down from my stove handle. It’s a daily battle. So, I took a hair elastic and put it around my stove handle using the same method as the towel. Then, I just slip my towel through the hair elastic. I can pull it out with one hand, but it doesn’t slip off the stove handle.

Hi Jill: Hey thanks Sweetie, because of your post I’ve gotta 290 page views on my easy hanging towel, today. I appreciate that you gave me credit. Cleaver girl how you did your’s that is so much easier and faster to make. I’m with you, I hate the towel slipping off the stove. I’m a new pinterest follower.

13. Rose says

Love the idea because I was having the same issue. For a fast non-sew way to do this, I simply took a safety pin and pinned one corner back around the stove handle onto the cloth itself. :D

14. Karla says

I recently bought a towel with an embedded magnet in the corner so it just sticks on the front of the stove. Could easily make that yourself with a needle and thread and some cheap magnets from Home Depot (in the aisle where the screws and nails are).

15. ashley says

Brilliant! Thanks Jill! I’ve wanted an easy solution for a long time now. I still don’t know how to sew though (and don’t think button holes will be my first project) :) but thanks to your post I found some no-sew solutions in the comments I may give a try.

Thanks again!

16. Kristin says

I definitely plan to do this and even though I have a sewing machine and I am revisiting my ability to sew, I don’t care to mess with the sewing just yet. My “no-sew” version would be to snip just a tiny bit of extra around the corners of your hole, which would allow you to fold the material and glue it back with some fabric glue. Voila.

17. Debbie says

Thanks. Problem Solvers Rule! My hubby tends to walk off with the kitchen towel. I’d been using the crochet topped ones from GMa (smile) but had ran out and I don’t know how to do needlework. (Plus hubby doesn’t like the look) i just saw one that they added two big snaps to fold over the top. But this looks less likely to walk away.

18. Elizabetb says

I saw this a few weeks ago. I hand sewed a few and embellished them with ric rac. I hung up them in the kitchen and bathrooms so I’m not hanging up towels after teeth rushing time. I only have to pick up the dirty clothes that miss the hamper.

19. Mama Stowe says

Jill,
    I just love your ideas and your blog! I wanted to share just one more idea, which is the one that we use at our house. Easier than any I’ve tried…we use hair scrunchies! New, clean ones, of course. I have them in different colors, and for holidays. First time I did it, was like having a “eureka” moment! Just drape the towel, grab both ends, and roll the scrunchie as high as you like.

20. Mama Stowe says

Oh my! Just looked back and noticed another person suggested the same thing. I guess great minds think alike? ;) Perhaps I’m not as innovative as I thought, but I sure do love the ease of hanging towels this way.

21. Daneille Cummins says

One of my many pet peeves! My problem isn’t the towel slipping off to the floor, my problem is my husband and son taking it off and after using it leaving it crumpled up on the counter where it can’t dry out! Annoying!!

22. Debra says

Love this idea. I keep meaning to do something like this with mine when I get some of that illusive thing called “spare time”. In the meantime I use cloths pins. They doesn’t look as nice but they are fast and easy to use. They are also good for closing bread, crackers and almost anything else in a package. If they get dirty I just clip them to my dishwasher rack when I do a load of dishes. I like the hair scrunchie idea too but need to keep the towel spread out so it will dry after my husband uses it.

23. Wendy says

I tried this out today. It works great!! The towels I used were a bit long so I shortened them to the length I wanted. Quick easy and I will be making more of these. They are so nice I may have to monogram them to dress them up even more. I could see using this for hand towels in the bath room as well. Thanks Jillee, I just love your site. So many great ideas I have actually used from your site!

24. Myrtle says

No sewing, no holes required: Get one of those microfiber towels that feel “icky” to the touch – the ones that catch on any rough patch of skin. Wind it closely around your towel bar like a swiss roll. Tug until it’s tight enough so it won’t roll around the towel bar. Clip it to itself to hold in place. (I use a binder clip, but a safety pin will do.) Towels placed over this microfiber-padded bar do not slip!