Easy Homemade {Gluten-Free} Teriyaki Sauce

How far away from our “roots” have we wandered when we are surprised that things that we’ve only bought in a bottle all our lives can EASILY made at home?? Not to mention the fact that it’s also CHEAPER and far BETTER TASTING!

I’m almost embarrassed to admit that once again I’ve have discovered something that fits the bill exactly. Teriyaki Sauce.

To me, Teriyaki Sauce has always been something that you buy in a bottle at the grocery store. Either I am a very gullible person (which is entirely possible) or the advertising companies have done an excellent job in convincing the American public that Teriyaki Sauce DOES come from a bottle. :-)

Well, it’s time to turn that around. I am on a mission to find as many of these EASY homemade substitutions as I possibly can and share them with you. We could be together for a very long time! ;-)

The best part about making this sauce today was how delicious it was with our DINNER! But more about that later……

I found this recipe for Teriyaki Sauce In Ten Minutes at Jamie Cooks It Up!  It’s easy AND delicious!

INGREDIENTS:

(The sauce can be kept in the refrigerator for one week.)

1 1/2 cups cold water
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce  (if you want to make this Gluten Free…make sure you get a GF soy sauce.)
1 teaspoon garlic powder (or granulated garlic)
3 Tablespoons corn starch
1 teaspoon sesame oil

Mix all 6 ingredients together in a saucepan and then put over medium heat on the stove.

Whisk it continually. (And don’t turn your back on it and walk away like I obviously did.)  The color will change and darken as the sauce begins to thicken. Once it has thickened, take it off the heat.

Serve over grilled chicken, or fish, or rice and sauteed vegetables.

OR

…you can do like we did and make Teriyaki Flank Steak Strips! (Which is just a fancy sounding name for a flank steak cut into strips, marinated in the teriyaki sauce for about 30 minutes, and cooked on the grilled!)

This was a HUGE HIT with the meat-loving contingent in this house. (Which is everyone.) PLUS, it’s another Gluten-Free recipe to add to my collection of go-to dinners.

I have to say it does my heart good when I hear every single person at the table say how GOOD the meal is! Needless to say there wasn’t a SPECK of meat left at the end of dinner. No leftovers = a good problem to have. :-)

I will be making this WINNING COMBINATION again soon!

Print Friendly
Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter7Pin on Pinterest16,249Google+0

Comments

1. jkincolorado says

This looks and sounds amazing!! I hate paying for bottled sauce and I love teriyaki! I think we’ll have this for dinner tonight. Thanks Jillee!! :)

2. Demaroge says

Jillee ~ I agree completely that we just don’t know how to make stuff anymore! I am so grateful for the community of internet because now I can see there really ARE real people out there who make things, cook from scratch and even sew! I really am NOT the only one! :)

I appreciate your one good thing in my email everyday and I want to thank you for sharing your story with the world as well. You are a brave and courageous woman. I am proud of you. More importantly, I know you are proud of YOU, too!

3. Diane says

This may be a silly question and I am missing something obvious (this has been known to happen…a lot), but why does this only keep a week in the fridge? With all the salt and the lack of perishables I would think it would have a much longer shelf life.
    THANKS~ Diane

4. Kayleigh says

I am wondering the same thing as Diane – I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t last longer as long as it was kept in the fridge!

5. Abby says

It looks like you have regular sesame oil there. Toasted sesame oil is the way to go (and the kind that Jamie used) when it comes to things like this. It delivers a more intense and nutty sesame flavor.

• Pam says

Good tip. It is easy to find? Expensive? What is it’s shelf life? I have found that regular sesame oil doesn’t get used up in our house and then I have to throw it out, which makes it expensive.Have never bought the toasted version.

• Darcy says

You can get toasted sesame oil in bulk at a health food store like Whole Foods. Then you only have to buy what you need! :)

• DebbieG says

Actually, I thought the same thing while I was making it this afternoon, and I used toasted sesame oil. It was awesome on the pork loin and everyone loved it. I did make one other adjustment – I was already planning to grill some pineapple to go with the pork, so I chopped one slice and added it to the marinade. Amazing! It’s a winner!

6. Sharon Paziuk says

Thanks for this gluten free recipe. I haven’t been able to find one in stores without wheat. This looks so much better and with ingredients that I can pronounce!

Oh dear….how did I forget to mention that!?!? :-) Yes…as long as you use a GF soy sauce it’s GLUTEN FREE! Yay!

7. Debbie Walker says

Thanks Jillee And I use Dales Seasoning in place of soy! its stronger & cheaper!!!