Sunday, May 20, 2012

Easy Homemade {Gluten-Free} Teriyaki Sauce

How far away from our “roots” have we wandered when we are surprised that things that we’ve only bought in a bottle all our lives can EASILY made at home?? Not to mention the fact that it’s also CHEAPER and far BETTER TASTING!

I’m almost embarrassed to admit that once again I’ve have discovered something that fits the bill exactly. Teriyaki Sauce.

To me, Teriyaki Sauce has always been something that you buy in a bottle at the grocery store. Either I am a very gullible person (which is entirely possible) or the advertising companies have done an excellent job in convincing the American public that Teriyaki Sauce DOES come from a bottle. :-)

Well, it’s time to turn that around. I am on a mission to find as many of these EASY homemade substitutions as I possibly can and share them with you. We could be together for a very long time! ;-)

The best part about making this sauce today was how delicious it was with our DINNER! But more about that later……

I found this recipe for Teriyaki Sauce In Ten Minutes at Jamie Cooks It Up!  It’s easy AND delicious!

INGREDIENTS:

(The sauce can be kept in the refrigerator for one week.)

1 1/2 cups cold water
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce  (if you want to make this Gluten Free…make sure you get a GF soy sauce.)
1 teaspoon garlic powder (or granulated garlic)
3 Tablespoons corn starch
1 teaspoon sesame oil

Mix all 6 ingredients together in a saucepan and then put over medium heat on the stove.

Whisk it continually. (And don’t turn your back on it and walk away like I obviously did.)  The color will change and darken as the sauce begins to thicken. Once it has thickened, take it off the heat.

Serve over grilled chicken, or fish, or rice and sauteed vegetables.

OR

…you can do like we did and make Teriyaki Flank Steak Strips! (Which is just a fancy sounding name for a flank steak cut into strips, marinated in the teriyaki sauce for about 30 minutes, and cooked on the grilled!)

This was a HUGE HIT with the meat-loving contingent in this house. (Which is everyone.) PLUS, it’s another Gluten-Free recipe to add to my collection of go-to dinners.

I have to say it does my heart good when I hear every single person at the table say how GOOD the meal is! Needless to say there wasn’t a SPECK of meat left at the end of dinner. No leftovers = a good problem to have. :-)

I will be making this WINNING COMBINATION again soon!

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

45 thoughts on “Easy Homemade {Gluten-Free} Teriyaki Sauce

1. jkincolorado

This looks and sounds amazing!! I hate paying for bottled sauce and I love teriyaki! I think we’ll have this for dinner tonight. Thanks Jillee!! :)

2. Demaroge

Jillee ~ I agree completely that we just don’t know how to make stuff anymore! I am so grateful for the community of internet because now I can see there really ARE real people out there who make things, cook from scratch and even sew! I really am NOT the only one! :)

I appreciate your one good thing in my email everyday and I want to thank you for sharing your story with the world as well. You are a brave and courageous woman. I am proud of you. More importantly, I know you are proud of YOU, too!

3. Diane

This may be a silly question and I am missing something obvious (this has been known to happen…a lot), but why does this only keep a week in the fridge? With all the salt and the lack of perishables I would think it would have a much longer shelf life.
    THANKS~ Diane

4. Kayleigh

I am wondering the same thing as Diane – I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t last longer as long as it was kept in the fridge!

5. Abby

It looks like you have regular sesame oil there. Toasted sesame oil is the way to go (and the kind that Jamie used) when it comes to things like this. It delivers a more intense and nutty sesame flavor.

1. Pam

Good tip. It is easy to find? Expensive? What is it’s shelf life? I have found that regular sesame oil doesn’t get used up in our house and then I have to throw it out, which makes it expensive.Have never bought the toasted version.

6. Sharon Paziuk

Thanks for this gluten free recipe. I haven’t been able to find one in stores without wheat. This looks so much better and with ingredients that I can pronounce!

7. Blueysuzie

SCORE!!!!! My 3 year old will only eat “big fat noodles” (udon) from this local Japanese restaurant. Two types of store bought teriyaki sauces have been rejected multiple times. This recipe is a hit and I’m SO happy to know exactly what we are eating. Thank you!!!

8. Pingback: My attempt at Food Planning « Layers and Glue

9. Kali

Sounds like a decent recipe, but I prefer a pineapple juice or orange juice based teriyaki sauce. They give it a refreshing citrus tang that I like in my favorite sauces. Pineapple juice makes the best, IMO. As I recall, it’s about 2 parts juice to 1 part soy sauce. If the juice isn’t real sweet, you sometimes need a dash of brown sugar. I can’t remember how much corn starch it needs, but as I recall, not much – maybe 1 tbl spoon. I usually mix it into the soy sauce before I combine it with the juice. Cook it until it reduces and thickens, and voila, awesome teriyaki sauce.

As far as the toasted sesame oil goes, it doesn’t keep much longer than the regular stuff, as I recall. However, both of those will keep for much, MUCH longer if stored in the fridge.

~Kali

10. Lena

So excited to try the recipe… not too long ago a found a soyless soy sauce called coconut aminos…i am deathly allergic to soy but everyone in my house loves teryaki… problem solved. Not only can you make it be gluten free… but it is possible to make it soy free as well!

11. Pingback: How far away from our “… « glutenfreefatgirl

12. Amanda

Thank you so much for posting this recipe! I have been craving teriyaki dishes and haven’t had luck finding a GF sauce. Your’s was fantastic! I posted about it in my blog and my family loves it. Thank you!

13. Donna Baker

so glad I found your blog (incidentally it was BECAUSE I was looking to make my own teriyaki sauce) and I haven’t been able to stop looking through your whole blog! you have such awesome stuff on here & I’ve been pinning a lot for future reference. btw, I LOVE my teriyaki chow mein stir fry! thanks!!!

14. Pingback: I really wanted… | T.R.E.A.T.'s

15. Pingback: What I Ate Wednesday #12 | cutedogsandhugs

16. Pingback: What I Ate Wednesday #17 + Adjustments! | cutedogsandhugs

17. Pingback: Quick Teryaki Salmon with Portabella Mushrooms | Thank Heaven's

18. Desarae

Hi Jillee! I found this recipe through pinterest, and it is delicious!! Instead of water, I make it with an equal amount of pineapple juice. It tastes heavenly!! And I must say, every time I come across something on pinterest and I see your name attached I automatically pin it! I’ve never come across anything of yours that was less than amazing! Thanks for being awesome!

19. Heather

I just made this and OMG, its the best I have EVER tasted! I subbed San-J Tamari for the soy and used light brown sugar, its fantastic. I ended up mixing it with half a can of crushed pineapple and 2 lbs of diced chicken breasts in the crock pot and the smell alone… I can not wait for dinner!

20. Heather

Hi Jillee,

Thank you so much! My son can’t have gluten, so therefore we have avoided anything teriyaki. We just love teriyaki steak and finding your post today has made my day. I just made it with GF soy sauce and I love, love it! Unfortunately as much as I love seseme oil, I had to sub peanut oil as my son also cannot have seseme seeds. But even still this came out amazing!

21. Sara jones

This is soooooo helpful!!! Wondering if I could substitute another more common oil from my pantry for the sesame… Olive? Veg? If not, no worries but curious before I buy a new bottle :0). Thx again!!!

22. Pingback: [What I Ate Wednesday #34] Gluten Free Teriyaki Steak Tips | cutedogsandhugs

23. Brooke

I just made the teriyaki sauce and it was super easy and smells SO good. I actually turned my scentsy off so it wouldn’t mess with the lovely smell. Right now its in my fridge marinating some eye of round steak. Can’t wait to eat it tonight!
    Thanks!