Make Your Own {Ridiculously Easy and Inexpensive} Homemade Maple Syrup!

When I was growing up…my Mom always MADE our pancake syrup.  BUYING it was unheard of and I don’t think it even occurred to us that you COULD buy it. lol.  Basically we were clueless…so we never “bugged” our Mom to get the store-bought stuff.

When I started making pancakes, etc for my OWN kids…I tried making the homemade kind a few times…but it was met with a less than favorable reaction.

In my Mom’s defense, I’m sure I made it wrong. I don’t think I ever looked up a recipe….just sorta winged it and tried to make it like I remember my Mom making it.  I obviously failed.

So for all these years I have been buying that horribly over-priced, barely edible stuff in the brown plastic bottles. When times were “lean” and we were pinching pennies, I would buy the generic stuff. Less expensive, but awful. When times were “fatter”, I would by the brand name stuff and while it was marginally better tasting…it was RIDICULOUSLY expensive! Why I didn’t revisit the “homemade” version my Mom used to make is a mystery to me!

It wasn’t until I ran across this post by Nat at NatSprat that it all came flooding back to me!

The recipe, the secret ingredient, the vastly superior taste and the HUGE $AVING$! (Around .50 cents a bottle to make!)

In the past I had tried to make the syrup using corn syrup and brown sugar with a little bit of water. I completely forgot about the Mapeleine (you’ll find it in the spice aisle of your grocery store next to the extracts and flavorings)….and it didn’t even occur to me to make my own “simple syrup” out of water and sugar as a substitute for the corn syrup.  What a difference!

The recipe couldn’t be easier! (Thank you again Nat!) It takes literally just a few minutes.

First, bring 1 cup of water to boil in a small saucepan on the stove.

Add 1 cup of regular (white) sugar……

…..and 1 cup brown sugar.

Add 1/2 teaspoon Mapeleine

Stir until all the sugar is completely dissolved. Take off the heat.

At this point I like to let mine cool. I was impatient (no way!) so I put the saucepan on the kitchen window sill to speed up the process.

After it cools down I think it’s the PERFECT consistency!  That’s when I pour it into a syrup dispenser like this one.

Any extra is put into a mason jar or tupperware-like container and kept in the fridge. (Many people just keep this in the pantry, which if made in small batches is probably OK, but just to be safe…I keep it in the fridge.)

Now to TEST it on something!  I STARTED this blog post in the morning….when pancakes sound like a REALLY good idea…..but by the time I finished (after multiple interruptions by sons who will remain nameless) it was after lunch and I just wasn’t feelin’ the stack of pancakes idea.

However….being the “snacker” that I am….a few “pancake dippers” didn’t sound bad at all! :-)  And thus a new “recipe” is born in our house.  Yum!!

Is it breakfast time where you are? Well, what are you waiting for? :-)

Share on Facebook456Tweet about this on Twitter11Pin on Pinterest19,473Google+5

Comments

• Katy says

Me too. I know it’s more expensive, but it’s more natural, and a little goes a long way. I’ve seen this recipe floating around the internet lately, and although I’m sure it’s tasty and easy, this is PANCAKE syrup, not “homemade maple syrup”.

I think what most people here were missing out on is this. Not all viewers of thease blogs are from the US where getting Maple syrup is as common as grape jelly. Some of us live in Europe and cant get Maple syrup so easly. So haveing an alternative is nice. So its not the exact same you might say. But its at least something.. Linda

Linda, maple syrup is pretty easy to get hold of in Europe – at least in the UK, Scandinavian countries and Estonia (my homeland). I’m pretty sure you won’t be able to get this Mapeline thing anywhere outside the US.
        I agree with Katy – this isn’t maple syrup :) I was actually hoping to see a post about cooking the maple syrup and reducing it to syrup. :)

• LaCota says

Have you read the labels on your syrup?
      Most syrups off the self are just as bad or worse then this. They all have sugar and unless you buy 100% pure maple syrup, that is organic, with little manipulation it is also full of preservatives.

This is a lot like a simple syrup, which I make for my cocktails. I’ll have to give this a try. Oh and, I love the pancake dippers. Such a cute idea.

Courtney

2. Patricia says

I love this recipe. If you added a bit of real, unsweetened butter it would even be tastier. Also, you can get real maple sugar, it comes in a cake, compressed bar, and would be amazing. Of course, it would be a bit more expensive, but far cheaper than store-bought.

Thank you for sharing your alternative to the heavy preservative laden shelf syrups. I loved the idea of adding real butter to the recipe. And what a great idea about the real maple sugar! We have a local grocery store with many bins. If they don’t have that exact one, I bet they have something very close!

As far as corn syrup, I know that it’s bad, but it also makes it thick and rich. Is there a better alternative to the corn syrup? (Like corn starch or something, or is that just as bad?)

3. Lauren says

Great idea! My grandma makes it w maple flavor & corn syrup, but I’m not a fan of that recipe. I’m glad I’m not the only person out there that prefers the artificial stuff. ;)

4. Dawn says

I can’t wait to try this! How long will this keep in the fridge?
    Thanks for all your great ideas!

5. kim says

My mom used to make her own syrup too. I don’t think she used brown sugar in it… that sounds really good. In my younger days I made it myself too. Unfortunately I’ve been wooed over to the side of real maple syrup now which is so expensive I ration it out on pancake morning.

6. Tara says

This is the way my mom has made syrup and now is the only syrup I like. It has great flavor without being super thick which seems to gross me out. This will keep for months and months in the fridge – we always have some extra that we kept. If it stays in there for too long the bottom starts growing sugar crystals which can be melted in the microwave. It still tastes good if you want to ignore the crystals too. Yum, now I’m in the mood for some swedish pancakes!

My mom always made our syrup growing up too, but I don’t think she used that Mapleine stuff. I’ll have to give it a try!

• Barbara says

This is how my mom made it too! (without the Mapleine). I never even saw pancake syrup in a bottle until the first time I went to a restaurant…. MANY years later.

1. [...] DIY PANCAKE SYRUP Posted in Gastrosophy by Tonnino var addthis_product = 'wpp-264'; var addthis_config = {"data_track_clickback":true,"data_track_addressbar":false};if (typeof(addthis_share) == "undefined"){ addthis_share = [];}You’ve surely have heard of ways, methods, and tricks for making pancakes… but how about a recipe for making the syrup that goes on them? Wash your face, and come down for breakfast down Jill’s memory lane. One that will teach you how to make your own, how she calls it, “ridiculously easy-inexpensive-homemade syrup“. [...]

2. [...] Mix together dry and wet ingredients separately.  Pour the wet into the dry and stir just until combined.  Batter should be lumpy.  Cook on griddle at 300 degrees until edges are dry and bubbly.  Flip and cook just a minute or two more.  Serve with homemade syrup. [...]