Thrift Store “Trash To Treasure”…
With A Little Help From My {Bar Keepers} Friend!

The other day I was browsing in the kitchen section of our local thrift store. I wasn’t looking for anything in particular…but I’m ALWAYS on the lookout for unique pieces that I never knew I always wanted! ;-)

On the floor that day were boxes of small, white bowls that were labeled .25 cents each! These were nice, sturdy, fiestaware-type bowls and looked like they would be perfect for serving desserts. Since I currently didn’t have ANY bowls like that…and these seemed to look like they would go nicely with my current set of dishes (Mikasa French Countryside) I thought I might pick up a dozen or so. (Hard to beat .25 cents each!)

But upon closer examination, I noticed they all suffered from “black mark syndrome”. You  may remember I did a post about this problem on my own white dinner plates back in March of this year.

In their CURRENT condition…they weren’t really even worth the .25 cents they were asking for them.  BUT, I had a secret weapon that I knew would get rid of black mark syndrome AND make these dishes look like new!

They call this stuff Bar Keepers Friend, but I have renamed it “Girls Best Friend” due to all the dishes it has helped me “save”! :-)

I already had a container of BKF from the last time I used it on my everyday Mikasa dinner plates. Pretty nice transformation huh?

So I was all set to make these white bowls (and a few pretty Mikasa plates I found for $1.00 each) into “stars” again!

<Insert a weeks worth of procrastination here!>

I finally buckled down with “my friend” and a scrubber about a week after I purchased the dishes.

I don’t know why I procrastinated for so long…it’s really not hard. It’s just that there were SO many of them…it took a chunk of time to finish. But once I DID….well, look for yourselves!

Nice huh??  Definitely a treasure to me now. Love the design of the plates now that they are spiffed up…

and I know I will get LOTS of good use out of the bowls! They are a very versatile size and design.

I could just look at these all day long! :-)

Now it’s YOUR turn! Go find some “trash” to turn into “treasure”!

Share on Facebook76Tweet about this on Twitter3Pin on Pinterest930Google+0

Comments

1. MaryC says

Great info, Jillee! Can’t wait to try this on a couple of corelle plates that I found at a thrift store. Have a great week!

• Laura Lajoie says

Hi Jillee,

Great post as usual. Just want to add this tip for Corelle dishes. Whenever mine start to look cruddy, I soak them in a sinkful of dish soap and a little bleach. They come out just like new. Laura

I have a lot (and I do mean a LOT) of old Fiesta dinnerware that used to be my grandmothers. Anyway some of the pieces have marks on them like the ones in your pictures and I thought they were ruined. I’m going to try this on one of them and see how it comes out. BTW, I have them in an old hutch that we got for free and repainted white. Looks great with the fiesta. Couldn’t get all my pieces in it and have some still in the attic though.

I read about Bar Keeper’s Friend in the comment section of one of your other blogs. It is great for metal stains on stoneware and Corelle, but I tried it on some ink which transferred to an old plastic plate and it failed. I will be keeping it around, though, ’cause my ceramic plates regularly get marked by metal.

Dimple – that is the exact problem I have in my farmhouse sink – metal marks/stains. I’ve got to get me some Bar Keeper’s Friend!

Wow, Jillee ~ those look great! And only one week’s worth of procrastination. Huh, doing better than I would! ;)

5. Brandy says

So the powder kind doesn’t work the same? That is the only kind I saw at my local store

• nicole says

if you look at a later picture, i think she is using the powder, i was confused by it being “X” out at first but that was just the name so she could change it to “girl’s best friend”

6. Renee says

Jillee- do you have any tips – I have a stoneware dinnerware set that the barkeepers friend did not even improve the smallest of scratches? I love BKF!! If anyone has well water, it works wonders on rust rings in the tub, toilets, sinks, etc.

Wow! I have a couple of favorite mugs that have black marks in them. I’m going to try Bar Keeper’s Friend. Thanks so much for the tip!

8. Lisa C says

WOW… must get me some of this stuff.. is it readily available everywhere or specific stores ?
    Thank you for the tip !!

• ariana says

I’ve now seen it at Target, Vons, Bed Bath & Beyon. So I thik it’s available almost anywhere!
      I loved the magic it works on my white porcelin sink! :)

Wow…I totally forgot about the sink! I took pictures and everything! lol. Need to update the post. :-) Thanks for the reminder ariana!

Omgosh…the ladies at work were just touting the benefits of Bar Keeper’s Friend and I’ve never used it. My farmhouse sink gets little scuff marks in it all the time. Comet does not remove them well enough. I think Bar Keeper’s Friend is going on my shopping list this week. Thanks for sharing! Love your site, BTW. :)