Brazilian {Strawberry} Lemonade . . . Summertime In A Glass!

So the menfolk were working their fingers to the bone yesterday, chipping old tile out of the kitchen. NOT fun work…as you can imagine. They were hot and sweaty (and cranky, but you didn’t hear that from me!)…so I decided to make them a cold, refreshing beverage as a little reward for all their hard manly work. :-)

Well, truth be told, I have been planning on making this recipe for awhile now, ever since I spied it on Our Best Bites, but they don’t have to know that. lol.

After the manual labor was finished we all sat outside in the backyard under a tree and watched Milo the puppy frolic while we drank our icy beverages. It was one of those perfect summertime “moments”…made even MORE perfect with this delicious drink!

It’s called Brazilian Lemonade (which is funny because it’s made from LIMES) and it’s the signature summertime beverage at a restaurant called Tucanos.

What makes it so special?  Well, first of all it contains the juice of FRESH limes and a “secret ingredient”…sweetened condensed milk. The reason I call it “secret” is because you might want to KEEP it a secret until people try it.

Believe it or not, SOME  people don’t like the idea of DRINKING sweetened condensed milk. Which I don’t really understand because what’s not to like about it??? I have a friend (who shall remain nameless because if I told you her name she’d KILL me) who will eat SCM with a spoon out of the can! :-)  Course when I think about it, that’s really not all that much different than the hubster eating frosting out of the can as a snack!  ugh.

OK…back to the recipe. Like I said, even though it’s CALLED Brazilian Lemonade…it’s made from LIMES. Four limes to be exact. Four smooth, thin-skinned limes (if you can find them). These are the juiciest kind and the skin is less likely to be bitter. Don’t worry, you’re not going to be drinking pieces of lime rind…but you are going to blend/juice the whole lime.

Brazilian Lemonade

But before you can do that you’ll need to cut the limes into chunks. Then measure 6 cups of cold water and add 1 cup of sugar. Mix well until sugar is completely dissolved.

Brazilian Lemonade

Add 1/2 of the sugar water (3 cups) to the blender with 1/2 of the limes. Put the lid on the blender and PULSE the mixture 5 times. Then pour the lime & sugar water mixture through a fine mesh strainer into the pitcher you will be serving from. To make sure you don’t miss a drop of this limey goodness, use a big spoon to press every last bit through the strainer and into your container.

Brazilian Lemonade

Now add the other 1/2 of the limes to the OTHER half of the sugar water and REPEAT. Now we are ready for our “secret ingredient”!  Simply add 6 tablespoons of the sticky sweet stuff to the sugar water and lime juice and stir. Serve immediately over LOTS of ice!  mmmm mmmm REFRESHING!

Brazilian Lemonade

• 4 smooth, thin-skinned limes
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 6 c. cold water
  • 6 Tbsp. sweetened condensed milk

Speaking of ice….after I poured & served the first couple of glasses I realized I was OUT of ice! How could that be??? It’s one of the things I’m fairly neurotic about…making sure we always have ice!  I began to panic because the hubster hadn’t even had a glass yet…but I happened to see the frozen strawberries that I use to make my morning smoothies and VOILA!…. STRAWBERRY Brazilian Lemonade was born. :-)  (One must always keep an open mind about these things!)

Brazilian Lemonade

It was DELICIOUS with the frozen berries!  They made the drink cold and sweet and a slightly thicker consistency which was kind of nice for a change. But, I’d be hard-pressed to choose one version over the other at this point. They were both delicious, refreshing, and summery! :-)

But whether you stick with the original drink or add a twist with frozen berries…just make sure you give it a try!

It’s like summertime in a glass!

Brazilian Lemonade

Share on Facebook170Tweet about this on Twitter8Pin on Pinterest18662Google+1

Comments

1. Tracey Tilson says

Oh my… this recipe sounds so refreshing and mouthwatering, Jillee! Especially on a hot summer day. Thanks for the step-by-step photos. That always makes doing things for the first time a little bit easier. I love the idea of using the mason jars for beverages. It makes it a little bit “countrified”. <—- not sure that's a word. I might make this for the big crowd coming today for Father's Day! Hope your very own Hubster has a special day today, too!

• Tracey Tilson says

Hi Jillee! We made a double batch of it and it was a BIG hit at our Father’s Day Cookout. At least four people wanted the recipe. We’d decided that this will be a new “staple” drink at all future gatherings! I am going to try to make it with “Stevia In the Raw” next time and will let you know how that turns out. Wish I could attach a photo with this post! Thanks for another GREAT recipe!

I too eat Sweetened Condensed Milk by the spoonful. It disgusts me as I do it, but it’s SO GOOD! I can guarantee that any open can of that stuff is licked clean by the time it hits my recycling bin! Will definitely be trying this!

• jennielynn says

I do too. I add it to my iced tea as well (after the brew, before the chill!) and am THRILLED to have to godairyfree link. I’ve been told I have to cut my dairy intake and the condensed milk has been my last holdout.

3. Xanthe says

It is hot and humid today in Wisconsin so I tried this recipe and it was so yummy! Like Key Lime Pie in a glass. I used fat-free sweetened condensed milk and 3/4 cup key lime juice since I had no fresh limes. Thanks for introducing me to a new favorite! I may try this with rum too!

4. Gwyn says

Hmm wonder how coconut cream would be as a substitute for the sweeten condensed milk…the recepie sounds yummy, both ways. Funny it’s called lemonade yet made with limes and you chose to garnish with lemons :) a citrus delight!

5. Jamie says

I finally made this today and it was a big hit! I can’t wait to make more…and I just happen to have frozen strawberries and used those as well so it wouldn’t water it down like ice would. :)

6. Rachel C says

It is supposed to be 100+ degrees here today and this sounded like the perfect remedy for such heat. :) I made it and everyone who tried it loved it! Thanks for the recipe!

7. Gabriela says

Hi! This will sound very funny. I’m Brazilian and never drank or heard of this drink. But… just so you know we don’t have yellow lemons in Brazil, so our lemons are your limes. That explains the name. In Brazil, when you order a Swiss Lemonade it’s made with blended limes with skin and all, but we use very little sugar to sweeten the drink ( my mom’s favorite). When we use condensed milk and Cachaca ( our sugar cane alcohol beverage) it’s called Batida and that can be made with coconut milk, passion fruit juice, limes, peanuts, strawberries, pineapples… It’s really good, so I will be trying your virgin version of it!

8. Robin says

Jillee, I made this yesterday when we had friends over for a barbeque and it was a BIG hit! Thank you for the recipe. Also, I thought it might be good with rum but I only had Captain Morgan’s spiced rum. Tried it and it was delicious. Like summertime and desert in one glass! I need more right now, actually.

9. Anne says

That sounds amazing! I really want to try this. We have a good juicer, could we just juice the limes and add the sugar and SCM or would you recommend tossing the limes in sugar and then juicing?PLEASE let me know your thoughts.
    Love you site!