Friday, July 27, 2012

Homemade “Wendy’s Frosty”

homemade frosty It’s been entirely too long since I posted a FROZEN TREAT on here.

It’s not like I don’t have anything to post either!  One look at “My Frozen Treats Obsession” Pinterest board proves I’ve got LOTS of ideas for things I want to try….but this was one of those ideas that once I saw it I HAD to make it! Right then. Right there.

My thanks to Laura at Trains and Tutus for sharing it.

She calls it Easy Chocolate Homemade Ice Cream….but let’s call a spade a spade people. It’s REALLY a HOMEMADE WENDY’S FROSTY! :-)

Well, OK…it’s not EXACTLY a Frosty….but it’s about as close as I think you can get without actually having to get in your car and drive there to buy one.

AND…it’s only THREE simple ingredients.

Homemade Wendy’s Frosty Recipe

1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 8 oz. tub Cool Whip
1/2 gallon chocolate milk

homemade frosty

Since I made mine in my Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker…I had to cut the recipe in half. But if you are using a traditional ice cream maker, the above amounts should work just fine.

homemade frosty

The KEY to this recipe is to mix all the ingredients FIRST, then pour it into the ice cream maker. SOME people might try to just dump the ingredients into the ice cream maker individually….but THOSE people would be very much mistaken. lol.  Trust me on this one. You will end up with a BIG MESS on your hands.  (Not that *I* would know anything about that. *cough*)

homemade frosty

After you have mixed the 3 ingredients together in a bowl (in hindsight, mixing the ingredients in a big pitcher would have made for easier pouring. Next time.), pour into the ALREADY RUNNING ice cream maker!  This is another rookie mistake that SOME people make (*cough cough*), pouring the mixture into the ice cream maker and THEN starting it. Not a good idea. Again, trust me on this. :-)

homemade frosty

Now let the machine do it’s thing for 20 to 30 minutes and when it has reached frozen perfection….pour into a really BIG GLASS and insert straw.

homemade frosty

That’s it. You have just made a Homemade Frosty that even the PICKIEST eaters will love! Just ask my No. 3 son. :-)  He is the world’s pickiest eater…and he LOVED it.

Or you could ask No. 1 son who actually DESPISES chocolate ice cream (his words)….but absolutely LOVED this! Go figure. He said it tasted sort of like a “mousse milkshake”, AND he said I could quote him on that. ;-)  So I did.

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

48 thoughts on “Homemade “Wendy’s Frosty”

1. jessica

lol….cool whip IS a mystery ingredient to us too! if you read the label, it’s mostly chemicals. who’d want to eat that? Sure it’s cheap, but putting all those chemicals in your body for the sake of a frosty? nah. I’d advise everyone to whip up their own homemade whipped cream. it’s soooo much better and easy to do.

one tip though, use a paper plate to cover your bowl as you’re mixing it up. my mom cuts out a small slit for her beaters to fit in, maybe about a half inch wide. that keeps everything from splattering everywhere.

2. Jillee Post author

Sorry about the “mystery ingredient” Penny. Cool Whip = cheap and easy whipped cream substitute found in the frozen food section here in No America. Any whipped cream will do. :-)

1. Melissa H

Penny you can make homemade whipped cream from scratch. Google or Pinterest “homemade whipped cream or topping”.
    It’s fairly simple. Hope that helps! :)

1. Jillee Post author

OK….this struck me as very funny/cool! “Google” seems to have become a verb in our society….”Go Google it!” ….and now “Pinterest” appears to be following suit. That is so awesome! I bet the Pinterest people are very happy about this. :-)

2. Michelle Holmes

Jillie, I absolutely love your sense of humor, and look forward to reading your thought/ideas/inspirations every day!! Yours is the only blog I can’t bear to miss each day!!!!

3. Deb

Jill, I agree with Michelle! Your sense of humor is running neck and neck with your creativity, and humor is, in fact, the ingredient that makes me anticipate your daily e-mails! That’s because I am clever AND funny too! ;)
    I also have a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker (can you say, LOVE IT?) Never really had a problem with it, although I have not tried adding soda or making more than the manufacturer’s recipes called for. :/ I wanted to ask, because I have a sneaking suspicion that you know, why only half the recipe if this is a single serving?
    It might be a GOOD THING for me to know!

As always, thank you!

1. Jillee Post author

Thanks Deb! I’m glad to know someone appreciates my particular brand of humor, because I know there are those who definitely don’t! lol. I remember one woman who shared one of my posts on her blog and said I sound like I’ve had 10 cups of coffee when I write! Too funny. You can’t please everyone! So thanks. :-)

Ummm….I had to cut the recipe in half because the first time I tried it I MIGHT have made a huge mess. The original recipe is meant for one of those bigger traditional ice cream makers that you have to add ice and rock salt to. Half the recipe was perfect for the Cuisinart…and it’s NOT a single serve recipe. It made plenty for several servings. I guess I didn’t make that very clear. :-) Hope this helps!

1. Jillee Post author

Hannah….I felt the same way for the longest time. I finally broke down and bought myself one at Costco (warehouse store) for around 30 bucks about 6 months ago and use it all the time! I highly recommend it. :-)
      Did you know July 27th is “Take Your Pants For A Walk Day”? (It IS…Google it!) I say in honor of that you should take your pants to Costco (or someplace similar) and buy yourself one! You deserve it! :-)

4. Diane

Hmmmm, you have the gears in my brain turning. My 20 year old daughter has a dairy allergy (not lactose intolerance, but a full blown allergy) and Wendy’s Frostys are dairy free and were a godsend when she was little and wanted “ice cream”. I may have to play with this and try chocolate almond milk and some replacement for cool whip that is dairy free and more natural. Thanks for the inspiration. If I can figure this out she will be super excited!
    Diane

1. Holly

Diane–Wendy’s Frost’s aren’t dairy free. Maybe they were back when she was little. They are made with nonfat milk. My son has a dairy allergy as well. My wheels were turning just like yours! Chocolate Almond milk. Have you ever tried making whipped cream from canned coconut milk? It comes out pretty good but thinner then regular whipped cream. The sweetened condensed milk…that really has me stumped. Any suggestions for a dairy free sub?

Holly

1. Diane

Holly,

I did not know they switched. She is 20 now and has moved on to Soy Dream and So Delicous. We haven’t been in years. It is a shame. They were good and you didn’t miss the milk. How sad. The sweetened condensed milk is more difficult.
        I have a receipe saved from Go Dairy Free, but have not tried it. I am not sure where to get powdered soy milk, but I admit I have not looked very hard. This may be a good reason to investigate. =+)

In case you are interested:

ingredients:
        3/4 cup white sugar
        1/2 cup water
        1 cup plus 2 TBSP soy milk powder

directions:
        Combine sugar, water and soy milk powder in a nonstick saucepan (otherwise you’ll have a tough time cleaning your pan afterwards) and bring to a boil.
        Reduce heat and cook until thick, about 15-20 minutes. Pour into a bowl and allow to cool.
        Milk will thicken more as it cools. Store in refrigerator if not being used immediately.

Diane

*The recipe says it makes enough to replace one 14oz can.

1. Joan

I always add a half pint of whipping cream to my ice cream mixture. That way it doesn’t freeze hard. You don’t know hard ice cream until your mom makes homemade with skim milk. It freezes in ice flavored flakes. She never changed her recipe. Just threw out any leftovers. Since it tasted great, we all tried to nsure there were none.

5. Ashley

I found a recipe for a frosty that I love! No ice cream maker needed. pour 1/2 c. Milk (or alternative, coconut, almond or my new find, hemp milk). Into a regular blender. Then add 1c. Chocolate milk or hot cocoa mix. Blend until no more powder is visable. Add 3 cups of vanilla ice cream(you can also use the coconut, rice, soy or almond substitutes. I’m allergic to milk also). Pulse until combined. The mixture should have the consistency of a frosty. If it’s too thick add milk a couple tablespoons at a time until you get the desired consistency. Poor into a cup and enjoy!

6. Jessa

Oh.My.Glob. THIS SOUNDS AMAZING. I was just headed out for one, since it’s so hot here in GA, and we ate all our ice cream. Thanks for this!

7. Dedria

Hi here is a quick one that taste like a frosty 1 cup milk –1/2 cup nestle quick chocolate drink powder– 3cups slightly softened vanilla ice cream –blend in blender i don’t have an ice cream maker so this ones easier for me Love Your web-site THANKS for yours ideas–

8. Kat S

I had to comment. My son doesn’t like chocolate ice cream but will eat chocolate shakes, I bet he would love this. Good to know he isn’t the only one.

9. Natalie

I just made this imitation “Frosty”! It was amazing! I have a Kitchen aid ice-cream machine and I was only able to pour 1/2 of the recipe above in to make it work. I figured I would just save the other half in the fridge to use in the next couple of days. This was so great! Thanks for sharing Jillee!

10. Jane

This recipe looks great!

Two questions … 1) Any suggestions if you don’t have an ice maker? How about a vitamix?
    2) What if you are not a fan of chocolate? We always get the vanilla frosty. Regular milk ok?

Thanks.

1. Karla

I would add vanilla extract or get a vanilla soy/almond milk to get the vanilla flavor, not sure about the lack of ice cream maker since I don’t have one either and haven’t tried this yet but some others left comments about an alternate version that can be made in a blender…I haven’t tried any of these yet though so I don’t know how well they work.

11. Pingback: Healthy Lunch Ideas in 20 Minutes or Less, Healthy Snacks & Meal Planning | herChristianHome.com

12. jenny

I’m sorry, i’m confused…(no surprise there!)…. the amounts you gave us for the recipe – is that for a whole “traditional” ice cream maker recipe or is that already cut in half??
    in other words, I have the cuisinart too, so am i using 1/2 gallon milk or 1/4 gallon milk?

13. Pingback: Midweek Randoms! | Harper and Will