Homemade “Wendy’s Frosty”

Homemade Wendy's Frosty

It’s been entirely too long since I posted a FROZEN TREAT on here.

It’s not like I don’t have anything to post either!  One look at My Frozen Treats ObsessionPinterest board proves I’ve got LOTS of ideas for things I want to try….but this was one of those ideas that once I saw it I HAD to make it! Right then. Right there.

My thanks to Laura at Trains and Tutus for sharing it.

She calls it Easy Chocolate Homemade Ice Cream….but let’s call a spade a spade people. It’s REALLY a HOMEMADE WENDY’S FROSTY! :-)

Well, OK…it’s not EXACTLY a Frosty….but it’s about as close as I think you can get without actually having to get in your car and drive there to buy one.

AND…it’s only THREE simple ingredients.

Homemade Wendy’s Frosty Recipe

1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 8 oz. tub Cool Whip
1/2 gallon chocolate milk

homemade frosty

Since I made mine in my Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker…I had to cut the recipe in half. But if you are using a traditional ice cream maker, the above amounts should work just fine.

homemade frosty

The KEY to this recipe is to mix all the ingredients FIRST, then pour it into the ice cream maker. SOME people might try to just dump the ingredients into the ice cream maker individually….but THOSE people would be very much mistaken. lol.  Trust me on this one. You will end up with a BIG MESS on your hands.  (Not that *I* would know anything about that. *cough*)

homemade frosty

After you have mixed the 3 ingredients together in a bowl (in hindsight, mixing the ingredients in a big pitcher would have made for easier pouring. Next time.), pour into the ALREADY RUNNING ice cream maker!  This is another rookie mistake that SOME people make (*cough cough*), pouring the mixture into the ice cream maker and THEN starting it. Not a good idea. Again, trust me on this. :-)

homemade frosty

Now let the machine do it’s thing for 20 to 30 minutes and when it has reached frozen perfection….pour into a really BIG GLASS and insert straw.

homemade frosty

That’s it. You have just made a Homemade Frosty that even the PICKIEST eaters will love! Just ask my No. 3 son. :-)  He is the world’s pickiest eater…and he LOVED it.

Or you could ask No. 1 son who actually DESPISES chocolate ice cream (his words)….but absolutely LOVED this! Go figure. He said it tasted sort of like a “mousse milkshake”, AND he said I could quote him on that. ;-)  So I did.

Share on Facebook551Tweet about this on Twitter5Pin on Pinterest50,490Google+3

Comments

1. Penny Hannah says

This is all very well for you north Americans, but what does one do when Cool Whip is a mystery ingredient?

lol….cool whip IS a mystery ingredient to us too! if you read the label, it’s mostly chemicals. who’d want to eat that? Sure it’s cheap, but putting all those chemicals in your body for the sake of a frosty? nah. I’d advise everyone to whip up their own homemade whipped cream. it’s soooo much better and easy to do.

one tip though, use a paper plate to cover your bowl as you’re mixing it up. my mom cuts out a small slit for her beaters to fit in, maybe about a half inch wide. that keeps everything from splattering everywhere.

Sorry about the “mystery ingredient” Penny. Cool Whip = cheap and easy whipped cream substitute found in the frozen food section here in No America. Any whipped cream will do. :-)

2. Melissa H says

Penny you can make homemade whipped cream from scratch. Google or Pinterest “homemade whipped cream or topping”.
    It’s fairly simple. Hope that helps! :)

OK….this struck me as very funny/cool! “Google” seems to have become a verb in our society….”Go Google it!” ….and now “Pinterest” appears to be following suit. That is so awesome! I bet the Pinterest people are very happy about this. :-)

3. Michelle Holmes says

Jillie, I absolutely love your sense of humor, and look forward to reading your thought/ideas/inspirations every day!! Yours is the only blog I can’t bear to miss each day!!!!

Awww…thanks Michelle! I am honored (and now feel tremendous pressure! lol. kidding.) :-) You’re a peach for saying so!

4. Sarah says

Have you tried mixing hot cocoa mix into vanilla ice cream? It tastes similar to a frosty too!

5. Deb says

Jill, I agree with Michelle! Your sense of humor is running neck and neck with your creativity, and humor is, in fact, the ingredient that makes me anticipate your daily e-mails! That’s because I am clever AND funny too! ;)
    I also have a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker (can you say, LOVE IT?) Never really had a problem with it, although I have not tried adding soda or making more than the manufacturer’s recipes called for. :/ I wanted to ask, because I have a sneaking suspicion that you know, why only half the recipe if this is a single serving?
    It might be a GOOD THING for me to know!

As always, thank you!

Thanks Deb! I’m glad to know someone appreciates my particular brand of humor, because I know there are those who definitely don’t! lol. I remember one woman who shared one of my posts on her blog and said I sound like I’ve had 10 cups of coffee when I write! Too funny. You can’t please everyone! So thanks. :-)

Ummm….I had to cut the recipe in half because the first time I tried it I MIGHT have made a huge mess. The original recipe is meant for one of those bigger traditional ice cream makers that you have to add ice and rock salt to. Half the recipe was perfect for the Cuisinart…and it’s NOT a single serve recipe. It made plenty for several servings. I guess I didn’t make that very clear. :-) Hope this helps!

Hannah….I felt the same way for the longest time. I finally broke down and bought myself one at Costco (warehouse store) for around 30 bucks about 6 months ago and use it all the time! I highly recommend it. :-)
      Did you know July 27th is “Take Your Pants For A Walk Day”? (It IS…Google it!) I say in honor of that you should take your pants to Costco (or someplace similar) and buy yourself one! You deserve it! :-)

6. Diane says

Hmmmm, you have the gears in my brain turning. My 20 year old daughter has a dairy allergy (not lactose intolerance, but a full blown allergy) and Wendy’s Frostys are dairy free and were a godsend when she was little and wanted “ice cream”. I may have to play with this and try chocolate almond milk and some replacement for cool whip that is dairy free and more natural. Thanks for the inspiration. If I can figure this out she will be super excited!
    Diane

Diane–Wendy’s Frost’s aren’t dairy free. Maybe they were back when she was little. They are made with nonfat milk. My son has a dairy allergy as well. My wheels were turning just like yours! Chocolate Almond milk. Have you ever tried making whipped cream from canned coconut milk? It comes out pretty good but thinner then regular whipped cream. The sweetened condensed milk…that really has me stumped. Any suggestions for a dairy free sub?

Holly

• Diane says

Holly,

I did not know they switched. She is 20 now and has moved on to Soy Dream and So Delicous. We haven’t been in years. It is a shame. They were good and you didn’t miss the milk. How sad. The sweetened condensed milk is more difficult.
        I have a receipe saved from Go Dairy Free, but have not tried it. I am not sure where to get powdered soy milk, but I admit I have not looked very hard. This may be a good reason to investigate. =+)

In case you are interested:

ingredients:
        3/4 cup white sugar
        1/2 cup water
        1 cup plus 2 TBSP soy milk powder

directions:
        Combine sugar, water and soy milk powder in a nonstick saucepan (otherwise you’ll have a tough time cleaning your pan afterwards) and bring to a boil.
        Reduce heat and cook until thick, about 15-20 minutes. Pour into a bowl and allow to cool.
        Milk will thicken more as it cools. Store in refrigerator if not being used immediately.

Diane

*The recipe says it makes enough to replace one 14oz can.

Skye…that’s what I did. :-) Cool thing is…it doesn’t freeze uber hard like regular ice cream does! Which I personally like.

• Joan says

I always add a half pint of whipping cream to my ice cream mixture. That way it doesn’t freeze hard. You don’t know hard ice cream until your mom makes homemade with skim milk. It freezes in ice flavored flakes. She never changed her recipe. Just threw out any leftovers. Since it tasted great, we all tried to nsure there were none.