Make Your Own Grease-Cutting Floor Cleaner!

Well, the kitchen/laundry room tile installation is complete and I couldn’t be happier!  To say it’s an improvement over our old linoleum floor would be a VAST understatement. :-)  My compliments to “Levi The Tile Guy” (sung to the tune of “Bill Nye the Science Guy”…in my own mind anyway!)…..did a fantastic job! Thank you Mr. Hammond! :-)

I have spent the last SEVERAL days trying to get things back in order and FINALLY, this afternoon, I was ready to give my new floor it’s “first bath”. I have already damp-mopped it a few times in an attempt to clean up the dust and grout residue, but today I decided to give it a good old-fashioned cleaning. With an old-fashioned mop and everything! :-)

And I had just the cleaner in mind. It’s something I found on Food.com. I know….crazy huh? lol.  I still get a chuckle out of that one. Turns out they have lots of great homemade cleaner-type “recipes”.   Food for the home??

The thing that “sold” me on this cleaner was the grease-cutting factor. I hate a greasy floor and over the last few days I have been cooking a bunch of stuff on the stovetop that seems to be greasing up the place. (I’ve actually been experimenting with a cool idea for cooking the PERFECT steak! So carnivores take note! Blog post coming soon!) :-)

So with the floor freshly swept and all chairs, stools, etc. up off the floor….I was ready for the inaugural mopping of the tile floor!

Here is the recipe:

• 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon liquid dish soap (I use Dawn and it’s pretty concentrated/sudsy….so I cut this back to 1 TEASPOON)
  • 1/4 cup washing soda
  • 2 gallons very warm tap water (I think I added closer to 3 gallons to my bucket. I like to give the floor a pretty good soaking!)

DIY Grease Cutting Floor Cleaner

Directions:

1. Place all the ingredients into a bucket and mix well until sudsy.

2. Mop the area with the solution.

3. Not recommended for waxed floors.

When I first started mopping I was a bit concerned about the suds because typically I just STEAM my floors. But the more area I mopped and watched it dry, the less worried I was. The floor didn’t have any feel or look of soap residue at all. It just looked and felt CLEAN! And grease-free!

Here is what the floor looked like after it’s inaugural cleaning. I’m a very happy homemaker/homeowner today. :-)

DIY Grease Cutting Floor Cleaner

Share on Facebook138Tweet about this on Twitter2Pin on Pinterest9,111Google+3

Comments

1. Abigail says

Looks great! I had to degrease my kitchen floor yesterday and just used white vinegar. Worked slick!

2. Ashley C. says

Love this and can’t wait to try it! Do you think it would get old wax from a floor also? My mom’s floor is so old and has the “residue” from all the waxing back in the day. We want it gone! lol

• Judy Ann says

Jillee states “No recommended for waxed floors”.
      IFyou read the original post on Food.com it shows that it makes the wax all gunky.
      Hope this helps.

3. Ruthie says

Hi Jillee,

How about an addition to recipe so that we can make in bulk and add as needed on mopping day?
    I was surprised that you use the old “Carole Burnett” type mop.
    Do you really wring with your Jillee hands?

Love your website.

Carole Burnett mop! lol! Love it. :-) I do pull the ole Carole Burnett mop out on occasion. Mostly when I want to really “soak” the floor. And yes, I did wring it with my hands! Right after my manicure even! Which reminded me why I don’t often GET manicures! lol

4. Bennie says

What is Washing Soda? I’ve never heard of it or seen it. Is this recipe okay for linoleum? With the humid summer days my floor is sticky even though it’s clean.

• Bennie says

Also, I don’t have a mop (my kitchen floor is small, maybe 6 feet by 3 feet? Can I use a Swiffer mop??

• jo says

I hadn’t heard it called gust before either, bug by the picture it appears to be baking soda (good old arm n hammer!) Which would make sense because it is great for cleaning!
      hope it was ok for me to jump in here like this! Love the blog!
      God bless,
      jo

Actually, it’s NOT Baking Soda. Washing soda is a different animal all together. Both are made by Arm and Hammer – A & H is just the brand name. In the States, you can find it in a lot of hardware stores and sometimes in Wallyworld.

this is good to know. i was suspicious of going ahead with my assumption that it was baking soda because with the vinegar i know it will create… volcanic issues (hee hee). Thanks for the clarification.

• Ruthie in TN says

For some reason, Target where I am doesn’t carry it, but my local grocery store (Publix) does. Wish my Costco would start carrying it in bulk!

5. kim says

Oh your floor is just gorgeous! Isn’t it the best feeling to wake up and look at a pretty new floor every day?! Enjoy!

6. WendyB says

Your new floor is gorgeous! We have travertine floors in our kitchen and foyer. I always just spray it with some white vinegar than use my steam mop on it. It seems to work pretty well. But as we’re moving soon, I may try this recipe just to make sure the floor is really clean before we go. Thanks for sharing!

• Ayshela says

just be careful with vinegar on any type of stone floor. It’s not recommended by any stone tile manufacturer or janitorial service I’ve been able to find, especially for marble because it’s a softer stone. Acidic cleaners will etch and pit your gorgeous marble over time. Stone floors really need a ph neutral cleaner.

7. Erik says

Poor Milo, just wanted to run in and say hello, and slipped and slid all over the floor

8. Debi says

I was wondering what washing soda is. Is that your liquid laundry soap? Sonds crazy but I can’t wait to try it. Thank you for your great tips.

• Ayshela says

washing soda is a highly alkaline “laundry booster” product, sodium carbonate not sodium BIcarbonate so don’t confuse the two. ;) It’s often sold in the laundry aisle in a dishwasher detergent sized box.

9. Deborah M says

Any idea if this would be ok to use on wood-laminate floors? I currently use a mix of citrus-infused white vinegar, rubbing alcohol, and water, but my floors still don’t look clean to me and it looks dull as soon as it dries.

• Cydne says

Try adding some Borax to the vinegar & alcohol. Or add a small squirt of liquid dish soap, as Jillee did. This is my favorite for my laminate floors, OR I use a steam mop with 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water.

• Randa says

Add Dawn to your mix. I use 1/3 cup vinegar, 1/3 cup alcohol, 1/3 cup water, 3-4 drops of Dawn and love the results. Google “Homemade Pergo cleaner” and it should be one of first results. I mix bigger batches for mopping, but keep spray bottle handy for spot cleanups.

10. Pam says

I also use the washing soda as a laundry booster and for polishing silver. DID YOU NEED TO RINSE THE FLOORS?

• Zoquara says

For polishing silver? How do you use it for that? I somehow ended up with a set of real silver silverware, and I can’t keep it from tarnishing! Any tips? (I think part of the problem is I live in a very humid area.)

Sorry this is so late. The only way to keep sterling silver flatware from tarnishing is to store it in a box that is lined with special non-tarnish fabric. These boxes also have special sections to keep the pieces separated from each other. I also store my silver plate this way. That being said, silverware that is used regularly should not tarnish as much as silverware that is just stored in a drawer. Also, good flatware should be washed by hand, particularly the knives. The dishwasher is too hard on it. All of this shows why stainless flatware was embraced so readily when it became available!

• Peggy Hale says

To clean your silver, put 1 cup baking soda and. Cup salt in a container that is lined with foil. Fill with water and add your silver. Let soak for 15 minutes or so. Take out rinse with clear water and polish dry with a soft cloth. I was worryed at first because this was my mother-in-laws silver and it came from England. It had not been cleaned since my daughter got married 11 years ago. It came out sparkling! With no time consuming hard work! And it did not hurt the silver at all!