Make Your Own Grease-Cutting Floor Cleaner!

DIY Grease Cutting Floor CleanerWell, the kitchen/laundry room tile installation is complete and I couldn’t be happier!  To say it’s an improvement over our old linoleum floor would be a VAST understatement. :-)  My compliments to “Levi The Tile Guy” (sung to the tune of “Bill Nye the Science Guy”…in my own mind anyway!)…..did a fantastic job! Thank you Mr. Hammond! :-)

I have spent the last SEVERAL days trying to get things back in order and FINALLY, this afternoon, I was ready to give my new floor it’s “first bath”. I have already damp-mopped it a few times in an attempt to clean up the dust and grout residue, but today I decided to give it a good old-fashioned cleaning. With an old-fashioned mop and everything! :-)

And I had just the cleaner in mind. It’s something I found on Food.com. I know….crazy huh? lol.  I still get a chuckle out of that one. Turns out they have lots of great homemade cleaner-type “recipes”.   Food for the home??

The thing that “sold” me on this cleaner was the grease-cutting factor. I hate a greasy floor and over the last few days I have been cooking a bunch of stuff on the stovetop that seems to be greasing up the place. (I’ve actually been experimenting with a cool idea for cooking the PERFECT steak! So carnivores take note! Blog post coming soon!) :-)

So with the floor freshly swept and all chairs, stools, etc. up off the floor….I was ready for the inaugural mopping of the tile floor!

Here is the recipe:

• 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon liquid dish soap (I use Dawn and it’s pretty concentrated/sudsy….so I cut this back to 1 TEASPOON)
  • 1/4 cup washing soda
  • 2 gallons very warm tap water (I think I added closer to 3 gallons to my bucket. I like to give the floor a pretty good soaking!)

DIY Grease Cutting Floor Cleaner

Directions:

1. Place all the ingredients into a bucket and mix well until sudsy.

2. Mop the area with the solution.

3. Not recommended for waxed floors.

When I first started mopping I was a bit concerned about the suds because typically I just STEAM my floors. But the more area I mopped and watched it dry, the less worried I was. The floor didn’t have any feel or look of soap residue at all. It just looked and felt CLEAN! And grease-free!

Here is what the floor looked like after it’s inaugural cleaning. I’m a very happy homemaker/homeowner today. :-)

DIY Grease Cutting Floor Cleaner

Facebook133Twitter2Pinterest8692Google+3

Comments

1. Ashley C. says

Love this and can’t wait to try it! Do you think it would get old wax from a floor also? My mom’s floor is so old and has the “residue” from all the waxing back in the day. We want it gone! lol

2. Ruthie says

Hi Jillee,

How about an addition to recipe so that we can make in bulk and add as needed on mopping day?
    I was surprised that you use the old “Carole Burnett” type mop.
    Do you really wring with your Jillee hands?

Love your website.

Carole Burnett mop! lol! Love it. :-) I do pull the ole Carole Burnett mop out on occasion. Mostly when I want to really “soak” the floor. And yes, I did wring it with my hands! Right after my manicure even! Which reminded me why I don’t often GET manicures! lol

3. WendyB says

Your new floor is gorgeous! We have travertine floors in our kitchen and foyer. I always just spray it with some white vinegar than use my steam mop on it. It seems to work pretty well. But as we’re moving soon, I may try this recipe just to make sure the floor is really clean before we go. Thanks for sharing!

• Ayshela says

just be careful with vinegar on any type of stone floor. It’s not recommended by any stone tile manufacturer or janitorial service I’ve been able to find, especially for marble because it’s a softer stone. Acidic cleaners will etch and pit your gorgeous marble over time. Stone floors really need a ph neutral cleaner.

• Ayshela says

washing soda is a highly alkaline “laundry booster” product, sodium carbonate not sodium BIcarbonate so don’t confuse the two. ;) It’s often sold in the laundry aisle in a dishwasher detergent sized box.

4. Deborah M says

Any idea if this would be ok to use on wood-laminate floors? I currently use a mix of citrus-infused white vinegar, rubbing alcohol, and water, but my floors still don’t look clean to me and it looks dull as soon as it dries.

• Cydne says

Try adding some Borax to the vinegar & alcohol. Or add a small squirt of liquid dish soap, as Jillee did. This is my favorite for my laminate floors, OR I use a steam mop with 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water.

• Randa says

Add Dawn to your mix. I use 1/3 cup vinegar, 1/3 cup alcohol, 1/3 cup water, 3-4 drops of Dawn and love the results. Google “Homemade Pergo cleaner” and it should be one of first results. I mix bigger batches for mopping, but keep spray bottle handy for spot cleanups.

• Zoquara says

For polishing silver? How do you use it for that? I somehow ended up with a set of real silver silverware, and I can’t keep it from tarnishing! Any tips? (I think part of the problem is I live in a very humid area.)

Sorry this is so late. The only way to keep sterling silver flatware from tarnishing is to store it in a box that is lined with special non-tarnish fabric. These boxes also have special sections to keep the pieces separated from each other. I also store my silver plate this way. That being said, silverware that is used regularly should not tarnish as much as silverware that is just stored in a drawer. Also, good flatware should be washed by hand, particularly the knives. The dishwasher is too hard on it. All of this shows why stainless flatware was embraced so readily when it became available!

• Peggy Hale says

To clean your silver, put 1 cup baking soda and. Cup salt in a container that is lined with foil. Fill with water and add your silver. Let soak for 15 minutes or so. Take out rinse with clear water and polish dry with a soft cloth. I was worryed at first because this was my mother-in-laws silver and it came from England. It had not been cleaned since my daughter got married 11 years ago. It came out sparkling! With no time consuming hard work! And it did not hurt the silver at all!

• LeslieH says

The trick for greasy pans is making a semi-thin paste with baking soda and water and letting it sit on the pan for a bit before scrubbing with a plastic pot scrubber. Works well on burnt spots in pots as well. Just let the mixture soak in for a bit and then a little bit of elbow grease goes a long way. Hope this helps.

• Angela says

I actually soak my “stuck on” with a fabric softener sheet in the water. Just fill the pan and toss it in overnight. Then use the sheet to scour whatever is left and a quick wash with soap.
      Works like a charm every time!

5. Kimmer says

Can I put in a “shout out” for Avon Bubble Bath for washing floors. Just a small amount (capful or two) in a bucket of water (or I use my Videla spray mop) and it does a beautiful job with no residue. Leaves a great shine on my linolium as well as the laminate flooring. I won’t use anything else. I was skeptical, but now am a believer.

6. Nonniemom says

I have those “faux wood” laminate floors (they also have a texture to them, like ridges), and I can NOT get the spots off them no matter which cleaner I use, which mop I use, and how hard I scrub with them. It is so frustrating. I am going to try your formula. If this works, I will be one happy woman!

7. Tracey says

I am so in need of help :( I have a bamboo wood floor in my livingroom and dining room , Does anyone
    know how i should clean it ? I tried vinegar/water and it is just dull looking. Please help me.

• Diana says

Hands and knees scrubbing with a nylon brush. Use cleaner of choice. Only thing that works for me and a 1yo, 3yo and 5 yo messes. I only do this when I notice it is really bad in the grout. Otherwise I steam mop. I want to try this jillee cleaner for greasy floor days

8. sabrina says

I used this on my stove (hamburgers last night, and 409 or simple green wasn’t getting it clean enough) and now my stove looks great! I let my burners soak in it and with little scrubbing those too look great. Tires recipe is a life saver. I think i’m going to put it in a spray bottle anf use this for now on. My floor and counters are made of the same tile so this worked great for, my counters as well

9. terri says

I heard several years ago, from a cleaning company employee, that you should not use vinegar on floors that have a finish as this would strip the finish. Has anyone heart the same thing? This sounds like it would do a wonderful job, but I would hate to strip down the finish on my floors. I like to use murphys oil soap mixed with hot water.

10. Ali C says

For anyone who wonders, washing soda and baking soda are different forms of sodium carbonate. If you have baking soda, you can use to to make washing soda. All you do is put it in the oven and heat (although I don’t know specific details-there are how-tos all over Pinterest!) baking soda is considerably cheaper! Hope this helps!!!!!!

Ps Jillee, I always read your awesome ideas and I’m gonna give this one a try!!!!

11. LORI says

I NEED A NATURAL (I HAVE DOGS) LAMINATE FLOOR CLEANER. EVERYTHING I HAVE USED LEAVES A DULL RESIDUE THAT YOU CAN NOTICE IF YOU RUN YOUR FINGER OVER IT. I HAVE TRIED: JUST VINEGAR AND WATER, WATER AND AMONIA, ZEP FLOOR CLEANER, BRUCE LAMINATE CLEANER, ALL THE SWIFFER MOP PRODUCTS, JUST DAWN DISH CLEANER, AND SEVERAL OTHER COMMERICAL BRAND NAMES THAT SLIP MY MIND. IS THERE ANYTHING THAT WORKS? MY FLOORS ARE NOT THE SHINY LAMINATE KIND SO I DON’T EXPECT TO SEE A CLEAR, BRIGHT SHINE. I JUST WANT THEM THE WAY THEY WERE WHEN WE TOOK IT OUT OF THE BOX, NO RESIDUE. HELP!

12. Jackie Carlson says

What I desperately need is a NON STREAK!!!!!! floor cleaner for my stupid black granite – high shine pain in the butt – floors!!!! Everything I use from the most expensive to the cheapest leaves a sort of film on them. Drives me nuts. If you have any ideas I know I would love to hear them!! Think of it as a challenge ;)

13. Stephanie J says

This post says, “Not recommended for waxed floors.” What kind of floors are waxed?? Just hardwoods? Sorry, probably a silly question, but I’ve really never heard of that!

14. Shelli says

Jillee – You said this shouldn’t be used on waxed floors. I didn’t realize until I saw the very last comment to this post that linoleum is waxed and, of course, my floor is linoleum. I’ve been using this recipe for awhile now and wondered why my floors felt a little sticky; now I know. Have you found something that works well for waxed floors?

15. Debby says

Loving the DIY laundry detergent. I’d like to try a floor clean. But. Have such hard water that it seems any solution with water leaves a film on our old-style real wood floor. Any thoughts? Thanks.

16. Lisa C. says

Going to try this for the first time, but wanted to tell anyone having a hard time finding the washing soda, you can go to your local pool store and get a product called, “pH Rise”, the only ingredient in it is Sodium Carbonate, which is what you want for the stuff you use. I have used this same bottle for my laundry detergent for over a year now. It comes in a 5 lb. jug that I got. Just be sure to check the back of the bottle and make sure it is only Sodium Carbonate, not Sodium BiCarbonate and make sure it does not have any thing else added to it. I paid $12.50 for the 5 lbs when I got it a year or so ago.

17. Dawn says

I have used this mix for over a year now and it works wonders!!! I like a nice clean, smooth surface for bare feet and this does it in my kitchen and bathrooms. I am considering trying it on some wanna be wood floor as well. My expectations are high.

18. CarolRose says

Just finished my floors and they look fabulous!!! Thanks Jillee!! Will definitley be using this all the time! I did use baking soda, instead of washing soda but will try it next time. :D