Microwave Potato Chips . . . Crunchy, Healthy Perfection!

microwave potato chips

What better way to follow-up yesterday’s “cleaning the microwave” post than with the ultimate microwave snack!

Microwave Potato Chips!

I think I just heard a bunch of you say, “Shut the front door!” That’s what *I* said when I saw this today! I was awestruck by the fabulousness of this idea...and amazed I’d never heard of it before. However, I might be the only one! After googling “microwave potato chips” I found page after page of references to these crispy treats.

I guess I’m the one “living under a rock” today. :-)

Of course the SKEPTIC in me found it extremely hard to believe that making potato chips in the microwave could be as easy as Carolyn at Food Gal said it was. So I immediately put it to the test. And when I say IMMEDIATELY….I mean…immediately. Thirty minutes ago I was sitting here working on my laptop…no snacks in sight. Now I am sitting here typing on my laptop with a bowl of fresh homemade potato chips right next to me, happily crunching away. :-)

Not only are they as easy as described….they are delicious! But what is REALLY amazing is how CRISPY and CRUNCHY they are! Out of the microwave! Still scratching my head on that one.

microwave potato chips        microwave potato chips

Microwave Potato Chips

• Slice 1 to 2 potatoes, depending on size, VERY thin! (I used small, red potatoes and was able to fit two of them on a plate)
  • Put the slices in a small bowl and drizzle with some olive oil (or whatever oil you prefer)
  • Sprinkle on some salt to taste (this is where you could get really creative and try all sorts of different seasonings!)

microwave potato chips

• Arrange potato slices in a single layer on a microwave-safe plate.
  • Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes (timing will vary depending on the power of the microwave and the thickness of the slices).

microwave potato chips

• Turn the slices over (careful…they’re HOT!)
  • Microwave again for another 2-3 minutes or until they start to brown and get crispy on the edges.
  • Remove from microwave and allow to cool completely. (They will continue to crisp up as they cool).
  • Repeat process for as many potatoes as you like!

microwave potato chips

Since I cut my potato chips with a knife…they varied slightly in thickness, which I think added to their rustic appeal. Using a mandolin would ensure thinner, more uniform slices.

microwave potato chips

Uh-oh….I just realized I ate the whole bowl of chips!  Oh well……at least they were HEALTHY!

And my newly-cleaned microwave????   STILL CLEAN and SHINY!  This has been a GOOD day! :-)

microwave potato chips

Update: I found this recipe for Creamy Avocado Yogurt Dip from Two Peas And Their Pod on Pinterest today and think it sounds like it would be DELICIOUS with these chips! Just thought I’d share. :-)

Share on Facebook490Tweet about this on Twitter95Pin on Pinterest11,432Google+4

Comments

1. Margaret says

THIS is something I will try for tonight´s TV; the final football match of the European Masters (Spain-Italy). (It´s still afternoon i Sweden)

Exiting!

Guess I’ve been living under a rock too, cuz I had never heard of this either! I am buying some potatoes at the store today and giving this a try.

3. Sharon says

I made these awhile ago just to see if I could and they turned out great.
    The only problem is that they don’t keep very well so only make as much as you can eat in one sitting.
    I used a mandolin and got a little carried away! :-)

4. KimH says

I must have been living under the same rock as you are.. I’ve made lots of things in the microwave, but not chips. Definitely gonna have to try this one.. (says the chip addict in me) ;)

5. stlrgrl95 says

Has anybody tried these yet with sweet potatoes? Please, please, please say that it works! There’s nothing I love better than sweet potato and cinnamon chips!

• Denise Holtz says

I’m curious about that, too. I may have to be the guinea pig on that one!

• Rose Myrtle says

If you use sweet potatoes they will come out a little different than the regular potatoes, because sweet potatoes are softer on the inside than regular potatoes. They may not taste as good, but yes it will work.
      Hope yours turn out good! :)

• Becky says

I just did these with sweet potatos….. they were delicious, though not as crispy as I hoped. They also shrink A LOT when you microwave them, but overall they’re pretty good. After i microwaved them the 2nd time, I flipped them and microwaved them once more. Pretty good!

6. Lyndsay says

This is also new to me…will be making these for lunch for the kids tomorrow! Thank goodness I have a bunch of potatoes sitting here, I have a feeling they are going to want a lot! Chips are expensive (especially since I will only buy baked or natural), and with 4 boys, they never last long. Can’t wait to try some with BBQ seasoning. Or seasoned salt. Or whatever else I can find to dump on them! Mmmm, sun dried tomato basil anyone?

7. Sarah says

Dr. Oz was promoting some sort of plate they sell to do this and I always wondered if I could do this on my own without buying the plate…The only thing is (and I am not sure I am right about it) is I think you didn’t use any oil with the one you buy.