Microwave Potato Chips . . . Crunchy, Healthy Perfection!

microwave potato chips

What better way to follow-up yesterday’s “cleaning the microwave” post than with the ultimate microwave snack!

Microwave Potato Chips!

I think I just heard a bunch of you say, “Shut the front door!” That’s what *I* said when I saw this today! I was awestruck by the fabulousness of this idea...and amazed I’d never heard of it before. However, I might be the only one! After googling “microwave potato chips” I found page after page of references to these crispy treats.

I guess I’m the one “living under a rock” today. :-)

Of course the SKEPTIC in me found it extremely hard to believe that making potato chips in the microwave could be as easy as Carolyn at Food Gal said it was. So I immediately put it to the test. And when I say IMMEDIATELY….I mean…immediately. Thirty minutes ago I was sitting here working on my laptop…no snacks in sight. Now I am sitting here typing on my laptop with a bowl of fresh homemade potato chips right next to me, happily crunching away. :-)

Not only are they as easy as described….they are delicious! But what is REALLY amazing is how CRISPY and CRUNCHY they are! Out of the microwave! Still scratching my head on that one.

microwave potato chips        microwave potato chips

Microwave Potato Chips

• Slice 1 to 2 potatoes, depending on size, VERY thin! (I used small, red potatoes and was able to fit two of them on a plate)
  • Put the slices in a small bowl and drizzle with some olive oil (or whatever oil you prefer)
  • Sprinkle on some salt to taste (this is where you could get really creative and try all sorts of different seasonings!)

microwave potato chips

• Arrange potato slices in a single layer on a microwave-safe plate.
  • Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes (timing will vary depending on the power of the microwave and the thickness of the slices).

microwave potato chips

• Turn the slices over (careful…they’re HOT!)
  • Microwave again for another 2-3 minutes or until they start to brown and get crispy on the edges.
  • Remove from microwave and allow to cool completely. (They will continue to crisp up as they cool).
  • Repeat process for as many potatoes as you like!

microwave potato chips

Since I cut my potato chips with a knife…they varied slightly in thickness, which I think added to their rustic appeal. Using a mandolin would ensure thinner, more uniform slices.

microwave potato chips

Uh-oh….I just realized I ate the whole bowl of chips!  Oh well……at least they were HEALTHY!

And my newly-cleaned microwave????   STILL CLEAN and SHINY!  This has been a GOOD day! :-)

microwave potato chips

Update: I found this recipe for Creamy Avocado Yogurt Dip from Two Peas And Their Pod on Pinterest today and think it sounds like it would be DELICIOUS with these chips! Just thought I’d share. :-)

Facebook440Twitter93Pinterest10010Google+1

Comments

1. Sharon says

I made these awhile ago just to see if I could and they turned out great.
    The only problem is that they don’t keep very well so only make as much as you can eat in one sitting.
    I used a mandolin and got a little carried away! :-)

2. KimH says

I must have been living under the same rock as you are.. I’ve made lots of things in the microwave, but not chips. Definitely gonna have to try this one.. (says the chip addict in me) ;)

3. Lyndsay says

This is also new to me…will be making these for lunch for the kids tomorrow! Thank goodness I have a bunch of potatoes sitting here, I have a feeling they are going to want a lot! Chips are expensive (especially since I will only buy baked or natural), and with 4 boys, they never last long. Can’t wait to try some with BBQ seasoning. Or seasoned salt. Or whatever else I can find to dump on them! Mmmm, sun dried tomato basil anyone?

4. Sarah says

Dr. Oz was promoting some sort of plate they sell to do this and I always wondered if I could do this on my own without buying the plate…The only thing is (and I am not sure I am right about it) is I think you didn’t use any oil with the one you buy.

Fast way to turn them without worry of burning yourself is to get another plate, set it on top of the one that has the potatoes on it and flip it over.
    There is the beep of the microwave…can’t wait to try them :)

6. Lauren says

Mine are in the microwave for the first round…

Ok – these things are AWESOME! I’d seen the idea before, but call me crazy for not believing Joe Blogger out there. Once I saw the Jillee seal of approval, I had to try it! My 1000w microwave needs at least 3 minutes each time for this recipe. They didn’t all turn brown, but they’re all crunchy & delicious!

7. Teri W. says

I just made them and they didn’t turn out crispy. I always cook things right in the middle of the times given, so I did 2.5 on one side, then 2.5 on the other. They didn’t look like they were starting to brown so I added another 30 seconds. I guess I need to do them the full 3 mins on the first side too. I was experimenting so I only used 1 small red potato. I put Lawry’s seasoned salt on mine and even though it was a little rubbery, it tasted good, lol… I’ll try again with a little more time. Also, maybe I used a little too much olive oil. Anyone with suggestions because I love chips! Thanks!!!

Microwaving is a bad idea in general. It heats food to over 400 degrees and changed the molecular structure of the food it heats. THIS IS REALLY BAD! Your food looses 80% of it’s nutrients, vitamins, and minerals at 200 degrees.
    You can make the same treat in your oven, and yes with sweet potatoes too, and get much healthier results. Use parchment paper (no, not foil…. unless you want to leach aluminum into your food. Did you know that aluminum has been linked to Alzeheimer’s disease in several studies around the world for over 30 years?) on a cookie sheet and increase your cooking time from 2-3 times to 10-15. Bake them at 415 and turn them 1/2 way through. Yes, it’s over 200 degrees, but it’s a dry circulating heat, which is better then a direct heat or microwaving-structure-changing heat.

9. Cheri Murphy says

Just tried this. YUM! Tastes great with a little Ranch dressing for dipping, which takes a bit of the “healthy” out, but everything in moderation! Thanks, once again, for the awesome ONE GOOD THING! By the way, I’m so hooked on your English Muffin Bread… my freezer is always stocked!

10. Terri Betz says

Thanks Jillee! Your Good Things are all up in my life! You’ve got Mrs. S beat by miles! I make a lot of your Good Things and love having you in my life! You go Jillee! :)

11. Gwen says

Thank you, Jillee!!!! These are GREAT! :) We love Kettle Chips at our house, and these are very similiar! Our guinea pig round were devoured in minutes by my husband and I! :) …for those who have not tried these yet, the browning is what you are looking for. That’s when you know they are getting crispy and are not rubbery. Also, know thy microwave! :) Play with the time on each side until your batch comes out perfect! I used 4 small red potatoes to practice with, and by the third plate I knew our perfect time combination. Excellent idea; wonderful flavor!

12. Rose Myrtle says

I can’t wait to try this. This is a cheaper way to have potato chips! You can pay four dollars for a big bag of potatoes or four dollars for a big bag of potato chips with only a little bit inside!

13. TinaG says

Just tested this on three toddlers using gold potatoes … They loved it. Only one problem with this recipe…. You can eat them faster than you can cook them! What an awesome and healthy treat!

14. Amber says

I thought there is no way this will work. I was so amazed when I made them for my son for lunch that I made them for a snack when he came home for work. They were so good.

15. christina says

Oh my goodness it worked! I found a smaller plate actually crisped them up faster but I did have to add time to both a smaller plate and the larger plate I had to go up to a total of 10 minutes but it might just be the plate. Yes, I know they can be made in the oven but who wants to heat up a kitchen in 106 degree heat for a once in a great while treat?

I have tried this 2 or 3 times now and can’t get them to come out right. They either stick to the plate, don’t cook evenly or burn.

If I cut an entie potato, I get maybe 3-4 chips that come out right. What am I doing wrong?

maybe i’ll try that Pampered Chef chip maker.

17. Sandy says

Was that a Pampered Chef baking stone you cooked yours on? Can those be used in a microwave? I have never tried to do that. That would be awesome if they do go in the microwave without breaking. Please let me know?

• stlrgrl95 says

In the picture with the microwave, you can tell that it’s a plate because it’s slightly concave. However, yes, the stones are microwave safe (I used to be a consultant).

18. Denise Holtz says

first batch didn’t come out great — had to play with the time for my microwave. However, they were edible, so I noshed on them while the 2nd batch was cooking! Second batch was much better – nice and crispy!

19. Chris says

Tempted to buy a bag of potatoes lol, question. While cutting the potatoes into chips do you soak them in water so they don’t brown up while cutting or do you put them on a paper towel and pat dry before adding the oil?

20. Trisha says

I think I may have obsession with your blog?? I have tried 3 things already this morning and it’s not even 10 AM!! lol.. I am trying these chips now, haven’t taken them out of the microwave yet but hopefully they turn out! They look delicious!

**After waiting for them to get done…..**

I had to end up cooking them for additional 9 minutes.. But they were SO worth it.. Yum!! Thank you for posting this recipe!

I thought I would need one of those pampered chef thingies to do this, but then I stumbled on your recipe. I tried it, but changed it up a bit to make salt and vinegar chips. They were SO GOOD! Thanks for the inspiration and for saving me money and space by not buying an extra kitchen gadget. I blogged my experience and of course linked back to you. I have also started making my own laundry lineup, body wash and sugar scrubs because of your blog. Often times I find myself spending a whole day exploring, thanks for writing Jillee!

22. Tanya says

Could barely read the whole entry before i ran to try this, mmm mmm it was delicious!! took all but 8 minutes and was perfect for my bed time snack. I used smoked sea salt for seasoning. Thanks for posting!

23. Paige Borda says

Just made a small batch of these for me and my husband. I seasoned them with salt, rosemary & garlic and they were DELISH! I ended up microwaving them for closer to 8-9 minutes but mine were a little thicker. Thanks for sharing!