How To Make Your Fresh Cut Flowers Last Longer

keeping flowers fresh A few days ago I noticed that my favorite flowers were in FULL BLOOM (almost PAST full bloom! yikes!) and I hadn’t cut any yet!

I LOVE purple coneflower and shasta daisies.

I have planted them in several different places in my yard and when they are in full bloom they make GREAT cut flower arrangements.

The only problem with DIY cut flower arrangements is they don’t come with those little packets of flower preservative like bouquets from a florist do. :-)

Embarrassingly, I never thought to make my own, until this year!

Since making my own flower preservative was a new concept to ME….I figured there might be a few other people out there who it might be “new” to as well. So I’m sharing!  I hope you find it helpful!

keeping flowers fresh

Purple Coneflower and Shasta Daisies in my flower beds. :-)

I looked at literally dozens of “recipes” for this….and they were all basically the same.

• 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon household bleach
  • 2 teaspoons lemon (or lime) juice
  • 1 quart of lukewarm water

Instructions

Fill a container with 1 qt. of warm water.
Add 1 tsp. sugar, 1 tsp. chlorine bleach and 2 tsp. lemon or lime juice to the warm water.
Place a lid on the container, and shake.
Pour into flower vase (or mason jar).  :-)

keeping flowers fresh

keeping flowers fresh

keeping flowers fresh

Now get out there and cut some flowers!  What are you favorite cut flower combos? I’d love to know!

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter5Pin on Pinterest4,572Google+1

Comments

• Tanya says

If you were to substitute powdered bleach for liquid, would the measurement stay the same? I just know that if I try to measure 1 spoon of bleach, it will be all over the place LOL I am clumsy like that.

Oh and my favorite fresh cut flowers are from spring, daffodils and tuilps, beautiful!

1. Tam says

I have always heard you could just use an asprin. Now whether or not baby asprin or regular…am not sure. either way…now I got another great tip from ya! thanks! :)

• Tam says

Oh yea…my favorite flowers…the big expensive bouquets that krogers can’t sell and mark down to like 5.00 from 20.00. Can’t beat that! :) lol

2. Kathie says

I grow my own Zinnia’s every year! They start blooming in June and don’t stop until October.
    I have fresh cut flowers all summer into early fall <3
    Thanks BUNCHES for the recipe
    ~K.

3. Ayshela says

when I was little, before we moved from semi arid to rain forest, we had tulips and tiger lilies growing alongside some of the farm buildings. I LOVED it when they bloomed, and that’s still one of the best combinations ever IMO. =)

4. Beth B. says

This year for cutting, I grew 3 different varieties of zinnias (the most awesome cut flower EVER), cosmo’s, and bachelor’s buttons. Also three varieties of cone flower. I’ve had cut flowers all summer — will definitely try this recipe!

5. martina says

Silly question but what if the flowers have been dyed with coloring? Would the bleach fade the fake color of the flowers?

6. Sherri McNeeley says

I have hydrangeas, purple and white coneflower, daylilies, lamb’s ear, butterfly bushes and roses that dominate my perennial beds (along with a variety of ground covers and hostas). Depending on the color of my vase, I usually take from this variety as it suits me! I have annuals in pots and hanging baskets that I use as centerpieces from time to time. My crape myrtle is a deep salmon color and a few blooms clipped from their branches look mighty pretty in a crock. Other southern favorites (I’m in Tennessee) are magnolia blossoms floating in a bowl and Queen Anne’s lace picked from an obliging field or the side of the road. Sometimes I just use lots of greenery from the shrubs and add a few flowers. That’s the true beauty of floral design from the landscape — there’s a seemingly endless parade!

7. mary i says

Remember “clear pepsi”? that used to be my go-to. I will try this as I normally just add sugar. Yay my Zinnias and my sunflowers. Oh I use the same mason jar as you :)

• Becka says

You mentioning “clear Pepsi” really makes me want some of that stuff…lol I loved it when it came out!

8. Katy Judy says

Gerbera Daisys are my absolute favorite. Something about a daisy is so cheery and uplifting. Took awhile to get the husband to understand daisys instead of roses !

9. Becka says

When I received some flowers for Valentines Day, it didn’t come with one of those mystery packets…. I talked to the florist and she said to crush up and add 2 aspirin to the water in the vase, and it would do well. My flowers lasted about 10 days…. way longer than I was expecting them to!