Make Your Own Face Cleansing Pads for Oily Skin

homemade face cleansing pads Notice the title of this post didn’t say MAKEUP REMOVER pads. I have done posts about those before (here and here), but these are different.

With two teenage boys at home, we are more concerned with CLEANSING than makeup removal. :-)

Most MAKEUP REMOVER pads contain oil (rightly so) for dissolving and removing stubborn mascara, etc. But, if you have skin that tends to be on the oily side (and you don’t even WEAR makeup!), you probably need something with more CLEANSING action. (Think Stridex….but without the “medicated” part.)

That’s why I was very excited to come across this idea for cleansing pads, for the “men in my life”.

homemade face cleansing pads I found this idea on Frugal Money Management:

You’ll need:

Pour all ingredients into a container and shake to combine. Place enough cotton rounds into a container with a tight-fitting lid to fill it. Pour cleansing solution over the pads until saturated. Save any remaining cleanser for later use.

homemade face cleansing pads

Rubbing alcohol is commonly used as a disinfectant to soothe skin. It is also considered to be helpful in healing acne because it helps dry the skin and cleans off acne-causing bacteria.  People with sensitive skin should avoid using rubbing alcohol!

Vinegar is another home remedy often used to soothe skin issues. The acidic properties of vinegar are good for bee stings and sunburns because they gently neutralize the pain. You can also use vinegar to shrink your pores, and it’s an ingredient in popular home remedies for acne and astringents.
homemade face cleansing pads

My skin is not oily (which is a mixed blessing!) but I decided to give this a try tonight when I cleaned my face and it felt really good! My skin felt clean and soft. No tight feel…which surprised me.

Now if I can just get “my guys” to use it. :-)

Share on Facebook145Tweet about this on Twitter4Pin on Pinterest18,737Google+5

Comments

1. Gwendolyn says

I used your recipe but substituted witch hazel for the rubbing alcohol (I have super sensitive skin)
    It works so well. My skin feels super good! I’ll check back in a week to let you know how it’s working on my blemishes!!

2. Jeni Rose says

You, my friend, are a genius. I had great skin til I hit my 30′s…which is horrible I might add! Gonna give this a whirl and I will report back!!

3. Gale says

I was so excited when I saw the tile of this! I will be trying this TODAY!!! After I got past my teen years I had good skin…and then, like Jeni, once I hit about 30 it all changed. My forehead gets so oily now…to the point where people think I’m sweating cuz it looks wet…ugh!!! So I can’t wait to try this. I have some small jelly jars (left over from making your sugar scrub) that’ll work perfect for this!

4. Holly Roberts says

I will have to try this as a carry along in my handbag! It’ll make a quick dap while on the run so much easier, and I hate how much the cost per use goes up for those smaller packages.

Also, don’t know how old “your guys” are, but in general, men don’t like anything that uses cotton (balls or pads)… they get fluff stuck in their wiskers. :(

5. Mary Malone says

Love your blog. I read it every day. First. We don’t need this stuff here, but it would be great for teens and anyone else who needs it….. but I just wanted to say : “Your nails look terrific!”.

Mary Malone

6. kim says

Oh Jillee, this is brilliant! With 4 teenage boys, I’ve spent atleast a years worth of college tuition on those pads….okay, slight exaggeration, but geesh those pads aren’t cheap! The only change I think I’d make is to use Irish Spring body wash instead of the shampoo, as it contains salicylic acid which helps with the acne. Definitely doing this!

7. Deborah Jennings says

I love this! I don’t have any children at home anymore, but I do love this idea. I will forward it on to my daughter. Now, do you have something for normal to dry skin? The older I get, it seems the dryer my skin becomes.

Thank you so much for sharing all that you do with us!

8. Jennifer says

Tea tree oil is my go-to for breakouts. You aren’t supposed to use it undiluted on your skin, so I usually mix a drop in with my moisturizer but I also keep a small misting spray bottle (glass!) with witch hazel and some tea tree oil in it and use it as toner. Annnd…I have been known to dap it on full-strength even though you shouldn’t. It works great, so I would add some to this (unless any of the other ingredients are not okay to mix with it but I don’t know) but you would need to use a glass container, I believe. I don’t know at what point it would no longer eat through the plastic.