Make Your Own Face Cleansing Pads for Oily Skin

Notice the title of this post didn’t say MAKEUP REMOVER pads. I have done posts about those before (here and here), but these are different.

With two teenage boys at home, we are more concerned with CLEANSING than makeup removal. :-)

Most MAKEUP REMOVER pads contain oil (rightly so) for dissolving and removing stubborn mascara, etc. But, if you have skin that tends to be on the oily side (and you don’t even WEAR makeup!), you probably need something with more CLEANSING action. (Think Stridex….but without the “medicated” part.)

That’s why I was very excited to come across this idea for cleansing pads, for the “men in my life”.

I found this idea on Frugal Money Management:

You’ll need:

Pour all ingredients into a container and shake to combine. Place enough cotton rounds into a container with a tight-fitting lid to fill it. Pour cleansing solution over the pads until saturated. Save any remaining cleanser for later use.

homemade face cleansing pads

Rubbing alcohol is commonly used as a disinfectant to soothe skin. It is also considered to be helpful in healing acne because it helps dry the skin and cleans off acne-causing bacteria.  People with sensitive skin should avoid using rubbing alcohol!

Vinegar is another home remedy often used to soothe skin issues. The acidic properties of vinegar are good for bee stings and sunburns because they gently neutralize the pain. You can also use vinegar to shrink your pores, and it’s an ingredient in popular home remedies for acne and astringents.
homemade face cleansing pads

My skin is not oily (which is a mixed blessing!) but I decided to give this a try tonight when I cleaned my face and it felt really good! My skin felt clean and soft. No tight feel…which surprised me.

Now if I can just get “my guys” to use it. :-)

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter4Pin on Pinterest20,639Google+5

Comments

1. Gwendolyn says

I used your recipe but substituted witch hazel for the rubbing alcohol (I have super sensitive skin)
    It works so well. My skin feels super good! I’ll check back in a week to let you know how it’s working on my blemishes!!

2. Jeni Rose says

You, my friend, are a genius. I had great skin til I hit my 30′s…which is horrible I might add! Gonna give this a whirl and I will report back!!

3. Gale says

I was so excited when I saw the tile of this! I will be trying this TODAY!!! After I got past my teen years I had good skin…and then, like Jeni, once I hit about 30 it all changed. My forehead gets so oily now…to the point where people think I’m sweating cuz it looks wet…ugh!!! So I can’t wait to try this. I have some small jelly jars (left over from making your sugar scrub) that’ll work perfect for this!

4. Holly Roberts says

I will have to try this as a carry along in my handbag! It’ll make a quick dap while on the run so much easier, and I hate how much the cost per use goes up for those smaller packages.

Also, don’t know how old “your guys” are, but in general, men don’t like anything that uses cotton (balls or pads)… they get fluff stuck in their wiskers. :(

5. Mary Malone says

Love your blog. I read it every day. First. We don’t need this stuff here, but it would be great for teens and anyone else who needs it….. but I just wanted to say : “Your nails look terrific!”.

Mary Malone

6. kim says

Oh Jillee, this is brilliant! With 4 teenage boys, I’ve spent atleast a years worth of college tuition on those pads….okay, slight exaggeration, but geesh those pads aren’t cheap! The only change I think I’d make is to use Irish Spring body wash instead of the shampoo, as it contains salicylic acid which helps with the acne. Definitely doing this!

7. Deborah Jennings says

I love this! I don’t have any children at home anymore, but I do love this idea. I will forward it on to my daughter. Now, do you have something for normal to dry skin? The older I get, it seems the dryer my skin becomes.

Thank you so much for sharing all that you do with us!

• Angie says

Dry skin is prominent as you get older because your skin slows its oil production through hormone changes (although some have naturally drier skin their whole life). The key is you have to trap moisture onto your skin so it will retain moisture and not lose it.

First, you should be using a good cream cleanser . They aren’t as drying and harsh as typical soap cleansers. Cream cleansers typically don’t completely strip your skin of all its oils. Little/No oil on your face = dry skin! Those natural oils are what help prevent the moisture in your skin from evaporating. Maybe try one of Jillee’s oil cleansers :)

Secondly, once you wash the soap off of your face, pat your skin with a clean towel until it’s ALMOST dry. The main purpose of a moisturizer is actually NOT to give your skin more moisture, but to create a barrier that prevents your skin’s moisture from evaporating. If you dry it completely before applying a moisturizer, you have virtually no moisture to lock in underneath your moisturizer.

Finally, choose a thick, creamy moisturizer. Yes, your skin will absorb a bit of the moisturizer’s water, but its main purpose is to create that barrier. Generally thick, creamy moisturizers are best for dry skin and thinner moisturizers for normal to oily skin.

A good SPF lotion or hat should also be used when in the sun to avoid further drying and damage to the delicate skin on your face. Also, don’t forget to drink plenty of water. Because your face is one of the most exposed areas of your body, it tends to lose more moisture and needs to be replenished. Steam facials temporarily alleviate dry skin as well, just be sure to put on your thick moisturizer immediately following the facial before your skin dries! Remember, a great side effect of well hydrated skin is less wrinkles! You may have to try a few products before you find one that works well for you. It will take some time to see a difference, so wait a few weeks before switching your regimine, and only make one change at a time so you know exactly what works, and what won’t. Good luck to you :)

8. Jennifer says

Tea tree oil is my go-to for breakouts. You aren’t supposed to use it undiluted on your skin, so I usually mix a drop in with my moisturizer but I also keep a small misting spray bottle (glass!) with witch hazel and some tea tree oil in it and use it as toner. Annnd…I have been known to dap it on full-strength even though you shouldn’t. It works great, so I would add some to this (unless any of the other ingredients are not okay to mix with it but I don’t know) but you would need to use a glass container, I believe. I don’t know at what point it would no longer eat through the plastic.

9. Jo says

I love this idea! I too have recently started using the oil cleaninsing method and am more than amazed at how awesome it is! When I first read about it I was totally skeptical that it would work. After while I tried it both out of curiosity and desperation for something that would work! I love it! Mi will never go back to store bought.
    This idea is great too! All of your ideas are… I think I’ll try it with your reusable pads from your “homemade makeup remover and reusable pads” post!
    I love your blog Jillee! I have used many of your ideas already. I look foreword to reading it everyday!