Friday, October 5, 2012

How to Make Your Own Oatmeal Shower Bags

oatmeal soap bag It happens this same time every year…the weather starts to turn colder and my mind turns to oatmeal. Well my MIND doesn’t turn to oatmeal….my mind TURNS to oatmeal! lol.  Oh well….you know what I mean! :-)

I love oatmeal for breakfast on cold mornings!  This morning I made a bowl and added some of the Caramel Vanilla Creamer I made earlier this week and threw in a handful of roasted almonds. mmm.mmm.mmm.

Anyway….I’m getting side-tracked.  As I was eating my oatmeal I got to thinking about how great oatmeal is!

It’s delicious to EAT and a LIFESAVER for those of us who eat gluten-free, but it’s ALSO great for your SKIN! I have soaked all my kids in an oatmeal bath at one time or another when they were little. (Can you say chicken pox?)

Did you know….?

• Oatmeal has anti-inflammatory properties and is perfect for most skin types, even the most sensitive skin.
  • Oatmeal contains saponins, a cleansing agent, and can therefore be used as a mild soap.
  • Oatmeal is moisturizing and helps remove dead skin cells.
  • Oatmeal can help treat acne, eczema, rosacea and rashes.
  • Oatmeal can help relieve symptoms of aging skin.
That is some good stuff! (Thanks HildaBlue.com)

I recently saw an idea for making Herbal Bath and Shower Bags at Tipnut.com and couldn’t wait to try making my own version using oatmeal. I love how oatmeal makes your skin feel after soaking in it, but it’s not always practical (or economical) to fill up the bathtub to get those benefits.

That’s where the BAG comes in. Just fill a small cloth bag with oatmeal, a little grated soap, and a few drops of your favorite essential oils and you have the benefits of an oatmeal bath that you can take into the shower with you! Plus, the cloth from the bag will provide a light scrubbing action to help clean and exfoliate your skin.

How To Make An Oatmeal Shower Bag:

You can make drawstring pouches out of cheesecloth, organza, muslin, or whatever you have on hand. Or you can “CHEAT” like I did and pick up some of these little organza favor bags I found in the wedding/cake decorating section at Walmart. (I think it was around $2.00 for 12.) These turned out to be the perfect size! Just big enough to hold between 1/4 to  1/2 cup of the mix.

oatmeal soap bag

To make the oatmeal mix: add 2 cups of rolled oats, approximately 1/2 bar of grated soap (I happened to have some Lavender soap on hand), and 5 – 10 drops of essential oil to a bowl and mix together with a spoon. You could also add dried herbs if you like.

Spoon the oatmeal mixture into the bags until they are about 3/4′s full, then simply pull the drawstring tight and tie a double knot. This ended up making about 8 bags (only 6 are pictured). Store the bags in an airtight container until ready to use.

I liked the feel of this stuff so much I decided to keep one in a little cup by the kitchen sink! Much nicer on my hands than all the dish soap I’m constantly washing with. :-)

oatmeal soap bag 6

oatmeal soap bag

After use, you can hang them to dry on a hook in the shower or bathroom, or, when they have lost their “oomph”, empty the pouches, rinse them out, allow to dry and then refill and reuse.

oatmeal soap bag

Come to think of it….these would be great to throw into a FOOT bath as well.  What do you think???

Never miss a good thing!
Receive a daily dose of Jillee + bonus newsletters.

66 thoughts on “How to Make Your Own Oatmeal Shower Bags

1. Natalie P

Would these work just as well without the essential oils? I have rosacea and the oils would irritate my skin. I wonder if I could make these just with the oatmeal and a cetaphil cleansing bar. Thanks for the idea! I LOVE trying things I find in your website…thanks for all your hardwork!

2. Deborah

So cute and simple! Another handmade beauty item I can add to my sister’s birthday box being mailed next week. Double Yay, as I still have some of the lovely lavender bags leftover from her wedding to use like the ones featured above. We both love everything lavender, so this will be appreciated by both of us. Thanks!

3. Heather

How funny, a post about oatmeal as I sit here eating my morning oatmeal and loving it. I was just thinking yesterday that if I had a blog that I would blog about oatmeal. Love it!!!

4. Lisa

Love this idea. When my son had a frightening allergic reaction to DEET, our wonderful, elderly pediatrician told me to give him benedryl, but also immediately run a tepid bath with a tied sock full of oatmeal under the tap — the amount of immediate relief it gave to the little fella was amazing. I love oatmeal! Thanks for the tip — I’ll have to try it! Love you stuff, btw!

5. Karey

This would be such a cute gift idea too! Just mix up a batch, put it in a mason jar and attach a tag and muslin bag! I might have to do that for Christmas this year!

6. Jen K.

These look awesome!! Now I am gonna have to get some oatmeal. They will be the perfect addition to my homemade Christmas baskets this year. Thank you!

1. Emily S.

Hey, Jen K.!

I want to do homemade Christmas baskets this year, but am not very creative on my own (I like to think the creative part of my brain got passed down to my beautiful, artistic children…). Would you mind sharing what else you put in your baskets?

Thanks,
      Emily S.

7. Diana

This may be a silly question but why this soap…and do you need the essential oil? I only have tea tree and I don’t think that would be a nice combo.

8. Cynthia

Thanks for this, Jillee! Sounds like a wonderful alternative to filling the tub with oatmeal. As a matter of fact, a couple of years ago, I found some oatmeal bath soak, made specifically for soaking in the tub or just your feet. I gave it a try and fell in love with it that winter, because my skin was so dry. But, now that I know I can make it myself, I will be doing it this way, for sure! I’m also going to try adding a little baking soda instead of grated soap to make a shampoo pouch. What do you think?

9. Jody

I make little bags with cheese cloth for my oatmeal bags. Works great. I love using mine in the bath tub. I never thought of using them at the sink, but it makes sense. My hands get so dry this time of year.

10. Jenni

An oatmeal bath works great for diaper rashes. When my babies have gotten a bad diaper rash I have used oatmeal in a section of old nylons, just knot an end fill up with oatmeal and knot the other end. I have just used straight oatmeal for that, but I might have to make some for me with soap and oil!

11. Lisa C

I had to grate soap tonight and found a great trick. I decided to use our round cheese grated. I cut a chunk off the bar and churned away. It was super fast and it grated it very fine. My grater looks like the ones at an Italian restaurant. They are made for parm. & other hard cheeses. Just thought I would share.

1. Missy

Oh my goodness! I think I may have one of those round graters somewhere that I don’t use, but couldn’t get rid of. Now I have to see if I can find it! Thanks for the super cool idea!!!

12. Brigitte

I came here to ask how you put oatmeal in the bath without clogging the pipes because this question has plagued me for years. Thank you to all the people who explained that you put it in a sock or nylons or something because I WAS SOOOO CONFUSED!!!! Finally I get to take an oatmeal bath when my allergies act up!

1. Christine Mann

Brigitte, another thing you can try which allows you to get the maximum benefits of the oatmeal- grind up the oatmeal in a clean coffee grinder, and use that in your bath, you only need 1 Tbsp to do the trick and in a tub of bath water, it will almost completely dissolve and leave your skin so smooth and soft :) good luck with it! ;)

13. Missy

I love this idea. Two years ago I made homemade sugar scrubs and bath salts in gift baskets for the lovely ladies in our family. I’ve gotten hints for a repeat this year. This gives me another cool idea to include in their Pampered Gift Baskets this Christmas. Thanks so much!

14. fiona

OK, this may seem like a silly question, but I’ve never used oatmeal for bathing… How long before it looses it’s “oomph”. Won’t the oatmeal “go bad” after it is wet and left to dry? Thanks.

1. Cynthia

I think what she means by “loosing it’s oomph” is, when all the soap dissolves and doesn’t get sudsy anymore. But, your question about the oatmeal “going bad” isn’t a bad one. I know that in wheat-based products (esp. whole-grain flour) it’s important to store them in the freezer because the part that goes bad is the fat in it. Oats have a high content of lipids, but dry storage isn’t a problem like it is with wheat, so I’m not sure how getting it wet and using with soap would effect the expiration of the product.

15. Sharontheexplorer

These are great, I used them many many years ago on my kids in the bath as they both had very bad eczema. I’d only use the oats though in a cheese cloth wound tight and dangle it in the bath, really soothed their skin. I had forgotten about how good oats were for the inside and out, thank you Jilly, I think I’ll be nipping out for a bag and will have a pampering bath later :o)

16. Pingback: Oatmeal Shower Bags : : Cinder's Cookie Planet

17. Nadine

I have just recently fallen in love with pinterest, but after stumbling upon your website and blog – I just might have found my NEW love. You are awesome and I LOVE your “one good things”! THANK YOU!!

18. CTY

SO glad people were laughing about the typo and not taking offense.
    Here’s a thought. I love those Dove face pillows but hate the price.
    I combined a 2 of your ideas the oatmeal shower bag and reusable make up remover squares.
    I make little pockets from flannel like yours, but I leave an end open and an extra long piece of fabric on one end as a flap to tuck inside. I fill with 1/2 tsp of each: organic coconut oil, oatmeal & shredded Dove. When each is spent I wash with laundry (like your makeup cloths) and then refill. I make a stack to keep them handy. I cannot wear makeup of any kind because it “melts off” my face and becomes a mess. So I cannot attest to your make up remover, but for a face cleanser/moisturizer this works. I keep hoping that a makeup I can wear will be invented– because I could use it. Maybe by the time I am 60–and then I’ll wear it and look 20 years younger. Let me know if you want details about making my “pillow”

19. Jackie

I would also be concerned about the oatmeal going bad as well. I would think for single-use these would be ok, but I wouldn’t save and reuse (who wants to wipe day old oatmeal on their skin)?

20. Bren

I have very dry itchy skin in the winter and these sound perfect! I made a batch of the bags tonight and was just wondering about how long each one lasts?

21. Lisa

I’ve been looking for a natural oatmeal bath for my son’s eczema with this cold weather that is upon us. I found a recipe for an oil to apply to his skin using lavender, geranium & tea tree oils mixed with a carrier oil. I think I’m going to try making this as a bath bag using the lavender soap and instead of lavender EO, use geranium and tea tree.

22. Jessica

Lisa^^ could you post the link that you found for the eczema oil recipe? I have bad eczema and at this point willing to try anything.oatmeal baths help but only temporary.but I will be trying these oatmeal bags.such a neat idea Jillee!!

23. wendy

I just grind oatmeal up to a flour texture and put a scoop into my bath. Nondrying & very soothing. The bags are a great idea for the shower – will have to try.

24. Hilda

Hey Jillee, I just came across this article as I’m about to make a link collection of recipes with oatmeal and I wanted to include this recipe. But I noticed that the info about oatmeal is my text from this article: http://hildablue.com/2011/11/27/ode-to-oats-5-ways-to-benefit-from-oatmeal-in-skin-care/ – even with the typo at the end… Do you think you could add a backlink to my post, as you use my exact formulation? I don’t know if you took the text from there or somewhere else (I found a couple of others who has taken it as well) but it would be greatly appreciated :)

25. Pingback: Recipes From Around The Web: Oatmeal | Hildablue – Beauty Made By You

26. Anna

I tried these and like them. But I was also wondering if the oatmeal would go bad after getting wet. It seems a little off the next day. Maybe just putting a couple tablespoons in the bad and using these as one-use bags would be better. I also think the organza bags, while pretty and the easiest to rinse out, are a little rough on the skin if used frequently.

27. Nidia Geffken

The term eczema is broadly applied to a range of persistent skin conditions. These include dryness and recurring skin rashes that are characterized by one or more of these symptoms: redness, skin edema (swelling), itching and dryness, crusting, flaking, blistering, cracking, oozing, or bleeding. Areas of temporary skin discoloration may appear and are sometimes due to healed injuries. Scratching open a healing lesion may result in scarring and may enlarge the rash. ;”,^

Have a look at the most recently released posting at our personal blog site http://livinghealthybulletin.comle

28. Deborah

Can anyone tell me if the oatmeal goes bad after a while. I want to make these with 3 oz of shaved soap, which should last a while, but if the oatmeal starts growing mold, I don’t want that. Anyone???

29. Tracey

I tend not to leave a ton of remarks, but after browsing through some of the remarks
    here How to Make Your Own Oatmeal Shower Bags | One Good Thing by Jillee.
    I actually do have 2 questions for you if you tend not to mind.
    Could it be just me or do some of these remarks come across as if they are left by brain dead visitors?
    :-P And, if you are writing at other online sites, I’d like to follow you. Could you post a list of every one of all your public pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

30. Pingback: Marinating in the Shower | fabrikreklame

31. sharon southern

Sounds great recently had dye injected 2 times in 2 weeks looking 4 clots because of super hi b p. 1st time no problem on neck area.had abdomen area done this week. 5 days later got out of shower looks like MEASELS. @ 56! Going 2 C med.in a.m
    Of course it is a holiday. Memorial day. I will make this and keep in shower. Will make many scents. For gifts.THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR INFORMATION. IF YOU HAVE MORE HOME RAMS.PLEASE CONTACT ME SHARON SOUTHERN. @wickit 140@ yahoo.com

32. Pingback: Make Your Own Surprisingly Simple Sachets! | One Good Thing by Jillee