One of my favorite things about essential oils is that there are so many different ways to use them! If you sat down and tried to list them all, that list would go on and on for pages! A few years ago, I did actually start jotting down particularly good uses for essential oils in a little notebook that I kept in my purse. And that’s where the idea for today’s post was born! :-)
Today I’ll be sharing 25 of the best and most useful ways to use essential oils. Since there are so many different types of uses, I’ve organized the list into five categories to make it easier to navigate. This list will make a great resource for newbies to the world of EOs, and even experienced users are likely to find a few surprises! I hope you will add some of your own favorite uses for essential oils too by leaving a comment at the bottom of this post!
25 Practical And Unexpected Uses For Essential Oils
1. Curb Cravings: Hold cinnamon oil near your nose and inhale deeply to help curb food cravings.
2. Improve Focus: Inhaling the scent of peppermint essential oil or spearmint oil can help boost concentration when your mind is wandering.
3. Stay Alert: Need a pick-me-up to stay alert? Inhale the scent of rosemary essential oil to promote alertness.
4. Sleep Restfully: Essential oils with anti-inflammatory properties like peppermint oil can help you get more restful sleep. Learn how to use peppermint oil to make my homemade sleep salve here.
5. Refresh Fabrics: Essential oils can help refresh musty and dusty fabrics. Learn how to use essential oils to make your own “Febreeze”-like fabric refresher spray here.
Cleaning & Disinfecting
6. Deodorize Trash: Put a few drops of lemon essential oil onto a cotton ball and drop it into the bottom of your trash can before you put in a new trash bag. The lemon oil will help neutralize odor from your garbage!
7. Clean Produce: Add a few drops of lemon oil to a large bowl of water. Swish your fresh fruits and veggies around in the lemon water to wash them!
8. Dissolve Gunk: You can use lemon essential oil to help dissolve many kinds of stubborn messes. It works on wax, chewing gum, glue, and even permanent marker.
9. Microwave Cleaner: Lemon oil will not only clean your microwave, it will leave it sparkling! Read more about cleaning your microwave with lemon oil here.
10. Freshen Toilets: I use essential oils to make my own fizzy toilet bombs that keep my toilet smelling fresh! Learn how to make them here.
11. Relax Muscles: Marjoram essential oil has a warming effect that’s perfect for soothing sore muscles. Add a drop or two of marjoram oil to a tablespoon or so of favorite carrier oil and rub it onto sore muscles for soothing relief.
12. Soothe Feet: A foot soak is a great way to soothe sore feet. Add a handful of Epsom salt and a few drops of peppermint oil to a bucket of water and soak your feet to ease the pain.
13. Erase Headaches: Lavender and peppermint essential oils can provide quick relief from a troublesome headache. Put a couple of teaspoons of fractionated coconut oil into a small roller bottle, then add a few drops each of both lavender and peppermint oil. Give it a shake, then roll it over your forehead, temples, and neck.
14. UTI Relief: Essential oils can help relieve the pain and discomfort of mild urinary tract infections. For more information, check out my post about tackling UTIs here.
15. Yeast Infections: Essential oils can also provide some relief from yeast infection pain. Learn more about remedies for yeast infections here.
Beauty & Skincare
16. Tighten Skin: Add one or two drops of geranium oil to your favorite face cream to promote tighter, firmer skin. Geranium oil can also helps slough off dead skin cells for brighter skin.
17. Hair Growth: Use rosemary essential oil to help promote healthy hair growth. Add a few drops of rosemary oil to a teaspoon of your favorite carrier oil, then apply the mixture to your scalp after shampooing. Let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse.
18. Hair Brightener: Fill a small spray bottle with water and a few drops of lemon oil. Apply the spray to your hair before going out in the sun to lighten and brighten the color of your hair!
19. Anti-Aging Serum: Use essential oils to make an effective anti-aging serum for a fraction of the cost of the store-bought ones! Read this post to learn how to make it.
20. Eyelash Serum: For longer, healthier lashes, plus more moisturized skin around your eyes, try my simple homemade eyelash serum! Learn how to make it here.
Scents & Smells
21. Scent Letters: You can use essential oils to scent your letters or cards for an extra special touch! Add a few drops of your essential oil of choice to a small spray bottle of water, and lightly mist your paper or envelope.
22. Fragrant Faux Flowers: Use a floral essential oil to add a floral scent to silk flowers. Add a few drops of a floral oil to a small spray bottle of water, and apply to silk flowers. Spray as needed to refresh the scent.
23. Neutralize Paint Odors: Help control paint odors and fumes with peppermint essential oil. Some say that adding 10ml of peppermint oil to a gallon of fresh paint will do the trick!
24. Wax Melts: You can make your own affordable wax melts using natural essential oils. Then just place them in a wax warmer to fill your home with a lovely scent! Learn how to make your own wax melts here.
25. Bathroom Spray: Essential oils are the key ingredient in my homemade “Number 2 Spray.” This spray helps keep your toilet and the whole bathroom smelling fresh! Learn how to make it here.