How to “Unshrink” Your Clothes!

I have a sad story, followed by a happy ending to share with you today.

A couple of weeks ago I was buying No. 2 son a pair of football cleats at the Nike Outlet and inadvertently ended up browsing in the women’s clothing.

Although I wasn’t looking for anything in particular..I did find myself inexplicably drawn to a pair of royal blue pants (or as I like to call them…”comfy pants”).  I don’t usually shop for myself at the Nike store…but those pants were calling my name. I just loved the color and they were made out of the SOFTEST tshirt-like material!

So I gave in to the temptation, which was just too great to bear, and purchased the pants.

Here’s the SAD part of the story….I only got to wear them ONCE before they were ruined by the evil clothes dryer!

Well, it’s really not the clothes dryer’s fault. I had INTENDED on washing them and then letting them air dry…because I feared they might shrink. But the hubster (bless his heart) got to the load of clothes in the washing machine before I did…and into the dryer they went!

When I went to take the clothes out of the dryer and saw the blue pants…I wanted to cry. My “laundry intuition” (something you develop after years and years and years of doing laundry for a family of 6!) told me they were no longer going to be wearable. Sure enough, they had shrunk in length a good four inches at least! *sob*

Well, I dried my bitter tears and decided to chalk it up to experience and put the pair of “floods” into a bag with a bunch of other outgrown t-shirt items that I like to save for future projects. I tried to move on with my life.

I was ALMOST over the whole horrible experience when I got an email from someone asking if I knew how they could UNSHRINK some article of clothing that had shrunk in the dryer. Hmm…sounded familiar. Of course I immediately thought of my blue pants that were wadded up in an old pillowcase with a bunch of other t-shirt cast-offs. Was UNSHRINKING something even POSSIBLE?  Sounded like some voodoo magic to me. But what the heck….it was worth a try.

So I commenced my research into this magic reversal process and was amazed to discover just how EASY it was to “UNSHRINK” clothing (and that it didn’t involve any sort of black magic whatsoever!)

What it DID involve was a sink full of lukewarm water, a capful of baby shampoo and two large beach towels. That’s it!

Here’s the HOW-TO:

Fill a sink with lukewarm water and add a capful of baby shampoo into the water. (Many tutorials I read said to use CONDITIONER…but this made more sense to me…so this is what I used.)

Let the item soak in the baby shampoo water and gently work it through. This will relax the fibers in the clothing.

Remove the garment from the shampoo water and gently squeeze it out. Do NOT rinse it.

Take a large towel and lay the clothing flat on it.

Roll the towel up with the clothing inside it.

Your goal is to absorb the extra moisture, so your clothing is damp but not wet.

Then, get another dry towel and put the piece of clothing out on the dry towel.

Gently stretch the clothing item as it lays out to dry.

Continue to do this until the clothing item returns to its original size. Allow the item to air dry on the towel.

Being the impatient person that I am, I set up a fan to make the drying time go faster and within about an hour or so they were dry! (Of course the fact that we practically live in the Sahara Desert didn’t hurt either.)

The anticipation was killing me so I immediately tried them on. (I guess I had some irrational fear that the stretching I did was an illusion?)

When I pulled them on and they were back to the exact same length they were when I bought them…I was beyond thrilled!!! (See picture at top.)

My “comfy pants” were back!

Now I can’t help thinking about all the clothes that got thrown away in the past because I did not know this trick! (There I go…”overthinking” again! lol)

So do everyone you know a favor…and spread the word before more innocent items of clothing meet a premature demise!

Share on Facebook18660Tweet about this on Twitter298Pin on Pinterest379842Google+72

Comments

1. Penny Hannah says

Just a request for information – why in the name of all that is wonderful, do you use a tumble dryer in your climate? It seems so wasteful and unnecessary, when nothing beats the feel and smell of line dried washing. I struggle with an indoor clothes airer in our damp, wet Scottish climate, but am too mean to use the tumble dryer except ‘in extremis’.

• KayDee says

No matter my climate, I use a dryer on everything except a few of my daughter’s dresses and poplin (shake them out and hang so NO IRONING!) I do not like the smell and feel of line dried washing, especially if done outside. The clothes are scratchy and just not as soft. Not matter how much fabric softener is used in the wash. Also, I like the dryer for the sanitizing it does. I like killing germies. :)

• Ashley says

I totally agree with KayDee. I hate line dried clothes. Nothing is better (to me) than fluffy, soft, warm clothes from the dryer. They smell awesome, they’re not scratchy; regardless of my climate, tumble dried is the way for me.
        I’m so glad I’ve found this! I have so many dresses I thought I’d never wear again because they were so short! I can’t wait to try it :)

• Joan says

I’m with Donna–allergists recommend drying in the dryer only! We have kids with asthma and even opening up the windows at night is a big no-no. It’s a bummer cause I love the smell of line dried clothes. As for windows at night…we do open ours in our bedrooms, but not for the kids!! Not fun nebulizing at 4:00 am!!

• Katy says

Ditto. I LOVE line-dried clothes, especially warm from the sun… but we live in the allergy capital of the United States (aka Knoxville, TN) and I’ve developed allergies to just about everything that produces pollen. Hubby isn’t much better. So after trying to suffer through line-drying, we had to bite the bullet and go back to using the dryer. We’ve gone green in many other areas so I’m okay with this one!

I live right outside of Knoxville in Oak Ridge but like Katy, I dislike the door and stiffness of the clothing. However, the main reason I refuse to hang laundry out …the ticks, wasp and yellow jackets!! Shaking the clothes out before putting them on doesn’t always help. Being stung is bad enough but finding a tick buried in your skin is just gross and dangerous!!

• Shirley Steiniger says

I love line dried clothes. I put all my clothes on the line (weather permitting) then we toss in the dryer to fluff on cool heat to remove any allergens and to soften.

• Glo says

I love the soft feel of clothes that come out of the dryer. I also love the fresh smell of line dried clothes. What I do is hang the clothes to dry, then pop them in the dryer for about 10 minutes with a damp wash cloth/towel to soften them. This saves electricity also since I have an electric dryer.

• Sherri says

If you hadn’t noticed besides the fact it saves electricity from not drying your clothes the full cycle in the dryer, it also saves the life of your clothes all together. You will notice if you wash colored clothes in cold water and line dry them, you will save the color in the garment also. I had simple t-shirts for 10 years or longer that still looked brand new, and I love bright colors. I used the dryer basically to fluff them or take the wrinkles out. Give it a try!

• Kelly R. says

Thank you for this great helpful tip! But in regards to the silly dryer V. line drying comments… some people don’t have a yard in which to hang dry, some people have horrible outdoor allergies. (like me) my whole life I would sneeze and have a constant runny/stuffy nose. I would tell my mom my sheets stink. (LINE DRIED) it took YEARS to figure out it was all the allergens now imbedded in my clothes and sheets! everybody is different, TO EACH HIS OWN :-)

• Katie says

I agree with KayDee and Ashley… I LOATHE clothes that have been line dried outside. In my opinion, they smell disgusting and, living in a wooded area, I prefer not to have all my clean clothes covered in presents from the birds (a lesson I learned the hard way). I don’t use the dryer a lot for fear of shrinkage (although now that I have this tip, that may be a thing of the past!), so I usually hang things on the shower curtain rod or toss them on a drying rack. It works just as well without having to worry about the smell or the bird messes!

• Sada says

Actually, in desert climates (I live in central Arizona), line-dried clothes dry *too fast*. So instead of soft, beautiful-smelling linens and clothing, you get stiff, scratchy fabric that on a good day smells like nothing (an on a bad day here, it’s covered in Ponderosa pine and Juniper pollen…which means yellow stains and allergies). Coming from Ohio (where line-dried linens are indeed a wonderful thing), it was a shock to me that all this sun and low relative humidity would actually be bad for line-drying.

I used cloth diapers for my two kids…the times I line-dried the diapers, I would start at one end of the clothesline, hang everything up, and then immediately go back to the beginning of the line and start taking things back down–they’d be dry and stiff as a board in that short amount of time, which usually meant having to put them in the dryer for a while with something damp to soften them up.

I’m with you, Sada. As a desert-dweller (East Phoenix Valley), the pollen isn’t so bad. But the DUST!~ For real – I just *washed* the clothes and they’re covered in *dirt* AGAIN?! :P As a transplant here from Michigan, I appreciated line-dried clothes there much more than I do now in this climate. I can lay my tanks and tees on our bed and they’re generally dry within an hour (ish), so that’s about the best I can do. ;)

• Deb says

I agree Sue growing up in Michigan I loved line dried in the summer. Of course winter was out. I’m a transplant to TX and now live in an apartment having to use the dryer most times. I still use my drying rack for some things.

• bev says

sada i too live in az and ur so right! line dried get stiff and scratchy very quickly. the allergens from the dust here kill me during the windy months (which is most of them) i will stick with my dryer as long as i am here. we are moving to belize in 2 yrs and almost no one there uses dryers so i will have to see how that goes…may be more like ohio i hope!

• jk says

I live in south Phoenix and in the summer I just take my clothes out of the washing machine and hang them in the closet. I leave lots of air space around each item and they dry in no time at all

• Rebecca Sorrells says

You are so right my bed linens smell so good line dried and for all
            Disbelievers line dry your towels it makes them twice as thirsty and dry
            Off so much better than dryer dried towels especially your kitchen towels
            where you are always cleaning up spills.

• Pam L. says

To each his (or her) own. Everyone has his or her own preferences. Personally, I use a clothesline much of the time in summer, but often toss those clothes into the dryer just to “fluff” them. Oh, that tends to get the beetles out, too. No fun finding a beetle in your undies.

• Lori says

If you hang your laundry on the line just before a rain, let them sit through the rain and then line dry, those clothes will be the softest you have ever put against your skin. I learned this by accident after leaving diapers out in the rain by accident. I figured, oh well I’ll just let them dry out. Imagine my surprise when I removed the softest diapers I ever put on my baby’s bottom! Of course you can’t always plan your laundry around the rain. Try it sometime.

• Tanya says

We have a well and our water is crystal clear and the best tasting water ever. I think its ridiculous that people are jumping down other people’s throats about not line drying. Clothes dried outside where I live are super scratchy and hard too-but not everyone has to conform to the “green” craze.

• Meg says

Fortunately being “green” isn’t a craze. It’s about being healthy and mindful of how we live. Our society doesn’t think about the after effects of our consumerist lifestyles, but what we are doing is stripping and ruining our beautiful earth and environment and making it an unlivable place. Of course, in our great country we don’t see the effects of this…yet. I truly hope that in a few years living “green and healthy” will be the norm. And if it’s not, we’re all in for a world of trouble because we are slowly, but surely poisoning ourselves and our world.

• Sunnie says

Excuse me but yes, some so-called green living issues are a craze, no point getting huffy because of an off-hand use of terms. People can be so sensitive these days! I like to do both. Living in Montana, a WINDY part, on a dirt road… I have to be very judicious about what and when to line dry. And I have to agree with the previous comment about tap water- It’s disgusting!

• Kristy says

No line drying for me…my partner & I live on a dairy farm and the cows stomp past twice a day, kicking up mud in winter and dust in summer. I don’t so much mind the “farmy” smells around the place, but I draw the line at wearing clothes that smell like cows. I’ll stick to my dryer thanks :)

• Vironika says

We had to (as in no choice about it) line dry our clothes when I was a kid, and I hated it! All my clothes was stiff and scratchy. I wouldn’t even let my mom wash my clothes until I had worn my shirts and jeans a few times first! I am happy to have a dryer. Is there even a way to keep laundry soft when it line dries??

Anyhow, I was wondering about this super smart tutorial (and so bummed about the multiple items I’ve ‘donated’ when they shrink)—do you have to air dry them every time after or were the pants in a ‘pre-shrunk’ state where they were fine to throw in the dryer after all of that??

Thanks for this info–super helpful!

• Landon says

Line dried clothes are only scratchy for the first few minutes you put them on. Once your body heat warms them up they soften right up. Jeans are terribly scratchy when they come off the line, but soft & comfy within minutes of putting them on.

The only thing I put in the dryer are sheets & towels. On wash day I don’t always have room to hang out the sheets & towels are fluffy & more absorbent out of the dryer – especially if vinegar is used in the rinse water. The only exception to not using the clothes line is rainy weeks when there isn’t a clear day to hang them out & once the weather gets so cold that we are using the insert in the fireplace to heat the house. Thankfully, in the South we don’t have to use the fireplace for very long.

Most of my family’s clothes are line dried. It saves a bundle on the electric bill (ours is about $60 most months for a 3 bedroom house) and it also extends the life of your clothes. I use the dryer for towels, socks & underwear – towels so they’re soft and socks & underwear because there’s too many to hang. This year I’ve gotten into a routine of doing laundry almost every day so I’ve even been line drying socks & underwear because I never have more than a few of each. In the summer the whites are hung outside in the bright sun to take advantage of nature’s bleaching. Sheets are hung outside during the warm months but they go in the dryer once it gets cold. I have lines and hangers to dry stuff in my basement but sheets take up too much room.

• Brigitte says

$60 and you don’t use the dryer?! We don’t pay nearly that much and apparently my in-laws bred a complete inability to turn off lights into their children because of the four of us I’m the only person who doesn’t leave the house lit up like a church. Just goes to show different prices in different areas, I guess. We don’t have “peak hours” for utilities either like I did growing up.

• Annie says

My gas bill (dryer is gas) is typically $40 a month during the summer/$80 in winter. I use my dryer for 99% of loads – I also have a gas stove.

I’m surprised so many people don’t use their dryers. I can only imagine some of the people saying they “went green” are saying that while a huge suv is parked in their garage.

My electric bill is $480 every 90 days. Yes, using the dryer is expensive so we don’t use it much. We use it for the sock/jocks and big towls, everything else is line-dried inside. (Clothes-munching dog outside.)

Lights left on all the time? That’s why you walk around my house and the lights come on when you enter the room and go off minutes after you leave by themselves with motion detector switches. I haste my wife (and two kids when they were here) leaving the light on or leaving stuff in the middle of the walk way. I use the dryer with fabric softener sheets all the time and it bugs me when my wife hangs her sweaters on the bathroom towels to dry and my bath towel is buried under wet heavy sweaters or other of her clothes. They spell moldy when she dries them that way any way.

• Amber says

the only time fading has been a problem for me is when I dry my clothes indoors and the sunlight coming through the window has caught an odd patch of fabric. I also had a wardrobe with no door right by the window for a while, so one or two shirts had patchy fade marks from that, but line drying has never produced any noticeable fading on my clothes. I’ve had busy work weeks and forgot my washing on the line for days at a time before… clothes come in a little damp-smelling sometimes but never faded :P

• Resa says

Whether line drying fades your colors depends on a number of things. Some fabrics are more colorfast than others. Where I live, the UV is really intense and so it not only fades fabrics, over time it causes the fibers to break down. Even in less UV intense climates, if for example you hang your clothes up before you go to work and they’re out all day, then over time the accumulated exposure will start making them fade. Also, if you hang your clothes over a really green lawn, the chlorophyll can bleach out the colors. This last thing is really handy if you have whites that need extra stain removal though. Lay your wet whites out on a clean patch of lawn in the bright sun. It’s better than bleach and if you don’t leave things out too long baking, less destructive than chlorine.

• Jill says

My mother in law crochets beautiful blessing dresses. She had one she’d done years ago that had yellowed while sitting in the closet. She felt it was ‘unusable’ but I got it very wet and hung it outside overnight on a cold night. The next morning it was that ‘blinding white’ shade of white. My mom had always told me she kept her diapers white by hanging them outside when a frost was expected!

• Leanne says

Wow – some pretty bitter and upset people over LINE DRYING clothes! Come on folks, differences in opinion are what keep the world going around….

For the record I use vinegar as a fabric softer, dry outside as often as I can and yes the sun can “bleach” certain fabrics and help get rid of stains. Just ask Jillee or Martha Stewart.

Peace out sisters :)

• Tina says

wow… I am so surprised at the bitterness in people. Whether you line dry or use your dryer, it is in the end what works best for each individual person. No reason to ever bully someone or say that their words or opinions are wrong just because they may not be your own belief. Come on… let’s not gang up on each other…be happy we have the choice to use a dryer or line dry… and not beating on our clothes on some river bank. And thanks Jillee, love all of your blogs! I look forward to each and every one of them. Everyone else, be happy for your fellow man… no need to be mean to one another.

• Kelsey says

I agree with Tina. I would think that line drying vs. electric drying would not be enough to cause World War III on Jillee’s very eye opening post. It’s true that it saves a lot of money when you line dry clothing, but it is not always possible. Please think about things before you type/say them.

• Betty Ann says

It most certainly does when it rains. A proven, scientific fact. Pollens also do attach themselves to when line-drying unless there are no trees for many miles around, and the absolute absence of wind.

• Ruth says

Acid rain. Park your car outside and see what falls on it. Where do you think pollution in the air goes? Obviously you didn’t think that statement through. If pollution doesn’t fall from the sky where does it come from? Educate yourself.

• lisa says

The last time I hung out my clothes, my neighbor decided to BBq. The wind blow all of the smoke on to my clothes… It was awful, no way to wear them, had to rewash everything twice to get the smell out. Never again!!!!! There was a time when it was great to hang clothes outside but not now with all the pollution in the air it is enough to make you sick! I hang my clothes that will shrink (in the dryer) in the laundry room. No more outside!!

• Namma says

Line or air drying leaves clothing way too stiff, particularly if you live in a very dry climate like I do (average 18% humidity). You can literally stand jeans up by themselves if they were hung wet outside (heck even hung indoors).

On top of that there seems to be an assumption that everyone lives in a house. Sorry, many of us are apartment dwellers.

The solution to BOTH problems is to stick the clothes in the dryer for a short time. Depends on what it is jeans and heavier will go longer (about 17 minutes) t-shirts and lighter about 8-12 minutes, again depending on cloth weight. (If they still dry stiff, try adding a minute or so to dryer time.)

Snatch them out one at a time, leaving the dryer running, snap the wrinkles out, and hang them on hangers. Jeans and pants can be hung seam to seam on pant clip hangers by the bottom hem. You can gently stretch out any remaining seam wrinkles and form the collars, etc correctly.

This cuts down on the dryer time and gives you clothing that doesn’t require ironing (which you’d spend the hanging time on anyways).

My sister (in a house) even does towels, blankets, quilts, sheets, etc. like this outside. You get less electric usage, the clean air smell, but shorter drying time all around without cardboard stiffness in the cloth.

(bulk hangers are very inexpensive on amazon, or check your local papers for when a dress or clothing shop is going out of business. I got 100 of each style hanger for $20 this way years ago and still have them)

• Tanya says

I live in Canada, 3 hrs north Seattle, so there’s a lot of rain, but we do get our share of sun. The house also backs up to an agriculture land block, so every few weeks some farmer is spraying their hay fields with a very potent “perfumed” fertilizer that permeates everything, so line drying must be timed carefully.

I remember when my Grandmother did it when I was a kid, plus I remember when I visited my Great-grandmother and she had stuff on the line. Growing up in the interior of British Columbia, my Mom did the same, even in the winter when it was freezing… you haven’t had line dried bedding until you’ve been asked to bring in frozen pillow cases that are stiff as a board and still slightly damp, but smell like the great outdoors….

My little sister (34) married a Dutchman and lives in a tiny apartment in Amsterdam with her 3 children, under his age of 6. Dryers are not the norm there. Everyone has an over-the-door rack (or 2) that they use, as well they use their balconies.

One thing remains the same with line drying whether it be from memories when I was younger, now, or when I visited my sister in Amsterdam…. the smell of line dried laundry was the same. (unless it was a fertilizer day… then you didn’t even want to breath!)

I thought line drying (in the sun) bleached out some stains and killed germs? And I’m not sure how hot dryers get, but I’m pretty sure a hot wash is what kills most germs initially, not a hot dry? Oh well, sun-drying seems to work for our house (during the summer)!

• Roberta says

I agree!!! I HATE line drying clothes. I tried and when my dryer quit mid cycle I had to do it and my clothes were stiff, scratchy and smelled horrible. And hot extremely humid air does nothing good for the clothes. I live in a rural area in Kentucky. Give me fluffy lavender scented clothing fresh from a dryer ANY day.

• SMiaVS says

Yeah, except that if you’re using a non-organic regular laundry detergent and/or fabric softener, what you’re smelling is chemical and in NO way resembles actual lavender, which does have a heavenly scent. I grew up in the U.S. with all the chemical stuff, but now live in France and buy organic stuff whenever I can.

I was back in the States for several months and was appalled at how awful the All and Downy stuff smells. My clothes don’t smell like flowers, (the organic stuff isn’t generally scented) but they smell deliciously clean. I certainly hope the people talking about allergies (the reason I switched to organic detergent in the first place–totally changed my life) are using something more natural.

I line-dry a little less than half my clothes. Would do them all if I had the space, but I have a tiny apartment and rely on a laundromat. I’m small and can’t carry that much laundry back on my own. I bring sweaters, bras, camisoles, skirts and trousers back, but my jeans, towels, socks and underwear are done in the dryer while I’m at home hanging everything else.

Going green’s going to be essential soon enough. I hope the people who ignored it are the first ones to do without when we start running out of resources….

• Amber says

I live in the rainy state of Washington when we can line dry we do. I found the trick that works for us is to put them in the dryer for about fifteen min and then hang them on the line I also hang the clothes outside about dusk with the warm breeze soft nice smelling clothes. If we put them out on a hot day even the dryer dose not soften them and don’t smell as nice.

• liliom says

Did you know that sunshine and fresh air also kill germs? Hanging clothes outside is so environmentally friendly, and they do smell great. Towels might be a little scratchier, but much more absorbent than if tumble-dried. You can always fluff them up by putting them in the dryer with a damp washcloth for a few minutes.

• Kimberley says

I do not believe that a dryer will kill germies nearly as well as the sun does. The sun is a germ killer by itself. But you can put your non dry clothes in the dryer on cold air and you will get the same feeling. I too like dryer clothes better than line dried. But once you start wearing them awhile they soften up.

I love to hang the clothes outside—— to dry in the breeze esp. the sheets and pillowcases, They get the hot sun on them and get sanitized. My mom drilled into me that there was no excuse to put the clothes in the drier with the price of electrieity. If it is a dead no breeze very humid day, then i usually have to use the dryer. But tryto watch the weather. My mom hung out some clothes in winter, especially ones to whiten. You bring in the clothes frozen stiff as a board and as they thawed over the living room stove, they looked a lot whiter. The white shirts, blouses that needed ironing, were put into a large bag, after you shook some water on them. Kept them in the bag and got them ironed in the next day or two. Good old days.

• Samantha Thomas says

I agree with KayDee, I hate line drying stuff; everything is so stiff and scratchy. I love my drier!

I do have a question though, can I use just regular shampoo or conditioner or does it have to be baby shampoo? I don’t have a baby so I have no reason to buy it except for this, but I won’t bother if I can use my own shampoo.

• Bouhaki says

My easy trick: Throw the damp clothes in the dryer on “air only” or the lowest heat setting for about 15 minutes, then line dry. Uses minimal energy, takes the scratch out of all but the heaviest towels, releases the wrinkles from the spin cycle AND reduces drying time on the line. Win win.

• Trixie says

I NEVER line dry my clothes. I don’t like the scratchy feel of line dried fabric and it would just irk me to no end to be re-washing clothes constantly to erase bird evidence – if ya know what I mean…..the clothes dryer is my friend (0=

• Melanie says

For me I’d go the line dry method and then put into the dryer for a “refresh” which would soften the clothes and kill any germs/pollens… but I’m up north and it’s too humid to line dry in most months :(

• Melissa says

Yup, I am with Chris. Our HOA specifically bans hanging laundry, even in the backyard where it can’t be seen! Besides, I also don’t like the stiffness of line-dried clothing, and it would be my luck that I would forget it outside and some animal would do something horrible to it.

• Catherine says

Our HOA did prohibit it, but some laws have changed here. I never thought I would like line dried clothing but since we’re cloth diapering now, I have to. On a windy day, they dry fine. But on a less than windy day, they end up stiff. During the drying process, I move them quite a bit and as I’m taking them off, I roll them up and squish, lol. Then they’re fine :-). We’ve got 8 children though and I can’t imagine having to line dry everything they wear. My daughters have a lot of clothes that can’t be dried already. It takes forever!

• Lynn N says

I live in southern NV also! Was so surprised -no clothes lines anywhere. Then I experienced the dust and wind storms. I miss the Midwestern practice of hanging the sheets on the line. But It would be a waste of time.

• Sarah says

I live in a dry climate…but I use a dryer…why? Because I have kids and a million items of laundry…not to sound bad, but the time consumption for hanging clothes and taking them down can be used to actually get other stuff done, like playing with the kids who are getting more dirty laundry ready…Just a thought.

• Kristie R says

Just an observation, but why does it matter where or how this lady dries her clothes. It is a great tip that I am glad to have. For those of us who are not super mom and do laundry at night after a long day at work, sometimes the wrong thing ends up in the dryer. Life happens sometimes way often at my house. Yes, I use a tumble dryer as you call it. Yes, sometimes things shrink. I like knowing how to unshrink them.

• txliss says

I can’t line dry anything (even though I’m in TX) because of the nasty dusty breezes and hubby allergies. Every time I try it, he ends up unable to breathe until I rewash and tumble dry the item. Ugh. I miss line dried everything – except jeans. Jeans are not so nice dried on the line…LOL

• Tessa says

I’ll answer this question. My husband is from the U.K, and I am American. I lived in the U.K. for the first two years of our marriage. We now reside in the United States.

It is a cultural thing. Truly, it is. In the U.K, there is very little space in the housing. What you would consider huge in the U.K, is considered cramped and tiny in the U.S. There just truly aren’t many people in the U.K, who have the room for the dryer. Utilities also cost WAAAY more in the U.K, especially electricity, and a good majority of the U.K has electric water heater (boiler), heating, and dryers. It really isn’t affordable there to use the clothes dryer on a regular basis. When we lived there, in one of our flats we have a washer that was also a dryer, all built into one. It took two cycles in the dryer to get the clothes completely dry. So often times, we would hang the clothes for a while, then finish them off in the dryer to give them a softer feel, and make them easier to fold.

It doesn’t occur to many Americans to line dry their clothing, as many homes here have a dedicated laundry room, which is as big as many U.K. bedrooms. Could we line dry? Absolutely. But given the fact that America is bigger, we also tend to have more children, and that makes for a lot more laundry. Therefore, clothes dryers are kind of standard here.

We have a couple of fold up drying racks that we bought at Ikea. I do use them in the summer. But we also have a front loading washing machine that is energy efficient, and it costs us a grand total of 50 dollars for the entire year to do one load of washing and drying with the tumble dryer. While I agree that line drying is smart, and can be more cost efficient, there are cultural differences here in the U.S, that account for all the tumble dryers.

Hope that explains it a bit.

I agree with you wholeheartedly! I live in the Netherlands and line drying is the norm, basically because dryers and utilities are expensive here. Our homes are also tiny, compared to american homes. I love how my laundry smells after a day in the sun, I add a bit of vinegar instead of fabric softener and everything is always soft & fluffy. Using your dryer all the time is a no-no, mostly because of the costs but als because of the environmental impact. I never owned a dryer, and never missed it either.

• Hannah says

I’m also not fond of the smell or the road dust and bird droppings I get line drying. I usually let my clothes dry 4-5 minutes in my dryer, shake them out and hang them (on a pipe, with cheap plastic hangers or the plastic clip hangers that come with pants) in my basement laundry room to complete the dry. I ‘unshrink’ my depressing number of too-long-in-the-dryer boo-boos by throwing them all back into the washing machine for a rinse cycle. I can’t wait to try Jilleee’s hint though because some flannel doesn’t seem to ‘come back’ all of the way the rest of my cottons do.

• Ann says

BACK TO THE REAL REASON FOR THIS POST…THIS TRICK WORKS! Thank you so very much! It saved my husband’s dress shirt today. As for the rest of you…who cares how you dry your clothes. It’s personal preference and irrelevant.

• patty says

THANK YOU!!! THAT IS ALL I WANTED TO KNOW IS IF IT WORKED OR NOT ;) ALL THESE COMMENTS ABOUT USING A DRYER OR NOT I WAS GETTING CONFUSED ON WHAT THE POST WAS ACTUALLY ABOUT LOL THANKS AGAIN. I CANT WAIT TO TRY IT ON MY HUSBANDS SHIRTS HE’S ALWAYS COMPLAINING THEY SHRUNK BUT I REALLY THINK HE IS JUST GETTING BIGGER HAHAHA HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!

I have no choice but to line dry for now since our dryer doesn’t work (yes, I’m still line drying during the winter, in the basement). I hate it. My clothes are stiff, not soft, and the lint and dog hair that would normally get sucked up by the dryer never go away. I don’t think I will ever get all of the dog hair off my clothes.

• S Walters says

The problem with the desert is that there is always dust in the air. So air drying clothing outside almost always means that they also will have dust in them when they are suppose to be clean. Not so nice. I air dry all of my clothing inside because of the dust.

• NanaArizona says

The “REASON” is to get the lint out of the clothes so it doesn’t accumulate around the house. Even though I line dry our clothes, I STILL put them in the dryer to DE-LINT.

This actually isn’t a “reply” to your comment but I couldn’t figure out where to start a new thread. Anyway, what I can’t figure out in this method (which sounds like a godsend!) is whether the shampoo is rinsed out at any point or do you just leave it in?

2. Stacey says

I have “help” with laundry and had new items ruined also. Your pants were cotton knit though. What about clothing made from cotton that is not stretchy? I have a few nice white blouses that shrunk.

• Landon says

The great thing about cotton is that it stretches. If your blouses are 100% cotton they will shrink when washed & stretch when worn. In the past I have spritzed a cotton blouse with a water bottle – just enough to make it slightly damp – then put it on & wore it around the house for a while. It didn’t take it long to stretch back out to it’s original size.

3. Marce says

You never cease to amaze me…Ah-Mazing! I never understood WHY the clothing manufacturers wouldn’t pre-shrink for us…obviously, most people use clothes dryers! The worst culprit…Men’s Flannel Shirts! Especially the sleeves! They become 3/4 length if put in the dryer, yes even the expensive ones…makes me so mad! Thanks for another Good Thing to know!

• nance says

Marce-I hear ya! My hubby has to wear flannel every day for work. I’ve had great luck with LLBean shirts in Tall. Pricey, but they really don’t shrink much at all (I wash all of his clothes in extra hot) and they wear like iron.

• Miranda says

Didn’t know that about flannel shirts, but nowI am curious….So, is it more practical then to buy flannel shirts that you know are a size or 2 too big so they will fit after the dryer? Or would they just keep gettig smaller?

• Kera says

Something that has worked for me is to wet them with warm water (I just do this after the washer), put them on, and do all kinds of stretches in them lol. I usually just squat down a few times, and that stretches them Then I take them off and either hang them up to dry or lay them flat on a towel! I’m sure you could stretch the length also like she did with these.

• Diane says

I never let denim items go through a dryer cycle–partly because they take so long to dry, and partly because I much prefer a method I learned from a friend years ago. I think if you wash your jeans and try it, they’ll be back to their original size. The dryer always shrinks denim (and cotton, as described in this post!) but as others have said, it’s just as easy to stretch as to shrink.

After removing your denims from the washer, put them into the dryer and let them run for 2-3 minutes–just enough to make them warm/steamy and tumble out any wrinkles they acquired on the final spin cycle. Give them a “flap” if needed (like for rolled hems), then hang them on hangers–skirt hangers work great for everything–and pull them out a bit if they need stretching, or smooth any remaining wrinkles by hand. Let them air dry, either in the laundry room, out on a porch, or even on a clothesline outside.

4. Midge Flinn says

So, do you ever rinse the baby shampoo out? If the shampoo stays in, won’t it attract dirt? How do you wash them the next time they need it? This is an interesting trick, but I don’t want to have to repeat it every time the garment gets laundered.

Thanks for all your tips. I can’t wait to read what cool new things you have discovered everyday!

I didn’t notice any residue of any sort from the baby shampoo. The NEXT time I wash them I will make sure the hubster doesn’t beat me to the dryer and I’m sure they will be fine without the stretching part. I’ll let you know! :-)

5. Kristin says

I’m wondering the same thing as Stacey and Helen. Will this method work on items that aren’t a jersey? I might have to try it. You can’t lose anything if it doesn’t work – the clothes already don’t fit :)

• Diane says

I think almost anything that shrinks should be able to be stretched. Cotton, definitely…but it’s probably not so successful for wool or silk (does silk shrink? I can’t recall). See my method above for denim. I also do this for 100% cotton shirts because I hate ironing. If I tumble them for a couple of minutes till hot, then shake/hang/stretch/smooth any wrinkles, I almost never need to iron.

Even better, I live in a very humid climate (Florida), so if I have anything with wrinkles–like a skirt I’ve worn that isn’t really dirty, just wrinkled, so I want to spare myself the extra laundry and also prolong the life of the skirt–I just put it on a hanger and hang up in our screened porch. Overnight or all day is all it takes to get all the wrinkles out! Similar to the method of hanging something in the bathroom while you take a hot, steamy shower, but it works much better than that!

• Mert says

I’ve heard that hair conditioner works to stretch wool, and might also work for silk since they are fibers similar to hair. Conditioner will help make the fibers more elastic, just like it does for your hair. The process might need to be repeated a few times for wool, depending on how much it’s shrunk. I haven’t tried it myself, but now that I’ve seen how easy it is I think I will. Our dryer either doesn’t dry at all or it dries too well and shrinks everything, so I have plenty to to work with!

• Michelle says

I believe this method would work on most natural fibers -which all shrink – like cotton, wool, linen, and silk. The tighter the weave or knit and the greater the tensile strength will determine how much “unshrinking” can be done. I don’t believe that this will work on synthetics unless it’s a blend. Synthetics by nature are designed to mimic natural fibers but without their drawbacks, mainly shrinkage and stain resistance.

There are some synthetic fibers, like rayon, that mimic natural fibers so closely that there may be some degree of ‘unshrinking’ capability.

Martha Stewart recommends this method to reshape sweaters as well.

BTW, I thought that this post was about the shrinkage of garments – not the pros and cons of line drying v. dryer use. Goodness people, RELAX! There are so many different factors that effect the employment of both of these methods that it is truly ludicrous to be arguing over it! My HOA prohibits line drying but I used to in our previous home and I miss it, despite my ENT discouraging the practice. For economical and ecological reasons, I would line dry as much as I could, when I could. But I always preferred to have underwear, socks and towels in the dryer regardless of the rest of my load being on the line. But really? To argue over this? Just silly. Have a glass of wine while you fold – makes laundry in general a lot less burdensome! Lol

• Corrie says

I’m late to this party, but that is a great tip! It is also known as “blocking” and is useful for sweaters.I use it a lot because clothes are often not long enough for their width in our family- we are a lot of beanpoles!
          I must also say something about rayon- it is my favorite fiber and it is not really synthetic- it is made from wood cellulose and is classified as a semi-synthetic. So, I feel that saying it mimics natural fiber doesn’t tell the whole story. It also does not have much shape retention or elasticity- it goes very limp when washed, in my experience, and you can easily pull and block it into shape.

6. Lindy says

I would love to know if this would work on jeans. This is a great tip! It’s mostly jeans that I have this problem with. I may have to give it a try! It surely can’t hurt them! Thanks so much for your wonderful daily “good things!”

7. Kathy says

You can also “unshrink” clothes by just throwing it back into the washing machine for another cycle. Take them out after the cycle is complete and gently pull back to the desired length/shape and then hang to dry! I do this more times than I care to count due to having teen daughters who sometimes get to the load and throw them into the dryer before I can get to them! I have saved many a clothing item this way!

That’s why I used baby shampoo…and just a very small amount. I don’t think not rinsing it out is a problem. I didn’t notice any residue of any sort. The NEXT time I wash them I will make sure the hubster doesn’t beat me to the dryer! :-)

8. Mrs B. says

A little thing I do for when I put something in the washer that cannot go in the dryer…… I take a dry erase marker and write on the lid of the washer what item needs to be hung up. Never fails.

9. Chris says

You can also do this with machine-washed pants by hanging them upside down to dry. Just fold the damp pants in half and align the legs, pull gently to stretch, and hang them from the bottom with small (child-sized) pants hangers – the kind with clips. The weight of the fabric keeps the pants from shrinking up as it dries. Works for me all the time with cotton pajama pants or sports pants!

10. Ashten says

I’m pregnant and bought a shirt to wear once I was bigger. It hung past my hips and my husband thought I was crazy but I knew it would look great once closer to 9 months. I also didn’t mean for it to get dried! It shrunk up to hang just above my belly. Insane!! It was tossed……..if only I had read this sooner :)

11. Regina says

I’ve done a method of this for years. When I take jeans out of the washer that are too short, I hold the hem on the floor with my foot (step on it, in other words) and while grasping the crotch area inseam and the outer seam, pull up and streeeeeetch the leg. Then step on the other leg’s hem and streeeetch that leg. Line dry. Works like a charm. I have also used an iron to stretch waistbands, too tight upper arms of shirts, too short sleeves, etc, etc. Just grasp one side of the fabric and iron in the direction away from your grasp, pushing down hard on the iron to stretch the fabric. Of course, you want to be particular about what type of fabric you do this to but I’ve done demin waistbands, cotton t-shirts, cotton blouses, etc with no adverse effects.

• Krissy says

This is exactly what I used to do to short jeans. I guess I haven’t had a problem with shrinking since buying jeans with a little stretch in them because I haven’t done it for years. I never thought of trying to unshrink any other items of clothing though. Great idea.

12. Sherri McNeeley says

This treatment is called “blocking,” used by knitters to give shape to their garments. I don’t wash/dry sweaters any other way. Use Woolite on the gentle cycle of the machine, Lay your garment on a towel, stretching it gently back to shape, then roll up to blot the excess. Sometimes I leave the garment rolled for an hour or two. Then unroll and let your garment air dry. I sometimes put bulky sweaters onto large suit hangers, the kind with really wide shoulders. They dry beautifully, never shrinking.

13. Landon says

Great idea, Jillee!!

For those asking about stretching pants that are not knit. My DD is almost 6 feet tall & skinny as a bean pole. Even drying things on the clothesline I will find some things will shrink in the wash sometimes. If a pair of her pants shrink in the wash, I get a skirt hanger (you know the ones with the clip at each end) & clip it to the waist of the pants. Then I hang the pants on the clothesline upside down so that the bottom of the legs are pinned to the clotheslines with 2 clothespins on each pants leg. Then I hang something from the hook of the hanger – usually the ice cream bucket that I keep my clothespins in – and let the pants air dry. The weight of the item hung from the hanger gently stretches the pants back to length every time. The key is to make sure the item you hang is heavy enough to stretch the fabric, but not so heavy that it’s trying to pull the pants off the line.

14. Amy says

I think I have those exact pants in a grey color and the same thing happened to me. :( I’m fairly tall (5’9″) and have to get long sizes in jeans (i.e., 8 long) in order for them to not be too short. This is an awesome idea! I need to go pull those pants, which have been hanging in the closet and pushed to only-wear-in-the-house status, out of the closet and try it. They truly are SO SOFT AND COMFY!!

15. Jeanne says

Arrrghhh!!! The DREADED husband who always has to race to the dryer! I can’t believe we’re married to the same man! Seriously (bless their heart), I know he is just trying to be helpful in his own way!

Just a hint: this method also works for tight waistbands and shoes! When I am “puffy” and I decide I need to be able to breathe, I stretch the waistband on my jeans by just moistening the band enough to stretch it, button it, and go! It works! For new leather shoes that might be pinching (most of them since I LIVE in flip flops most of the time), I moisten wash cloths and stuff them in the shoe’s toes or heels–whatever area you need a tad more room—and after a few hours or overnight, just put them on and wear around the house or out. They will be as roomy as if you had broken them in! The moisture mimics your own body perspiration that comes out naturally when wearing shoes over a period of time. This is why they feel better once they have been broken in.

Hope this helps, Jillee!

• Karol says

I had a little spray bottle of shoe stretch once that worked great. when it ran out I tried to find it again to no avail. The shoe repair guy told me to put rubbing alcohol in the bottle for the same effect. Works great and much less spendy too.

wow! This is GREAT! Thanks Jeanne. Never would have thought about the shoes. I have a pair that I LOVE but they are JUST a teeny tiny bit tight and so I tend to leave them in the closet in favor of “comfy shoes”. (I obviously have “comfy” issues. )

16. Jenn says

Jilliee you have just saved me from buying larger comfy pants. I have really long legs and if I buy my normal size and they fit, as soon as I wash them, they always shrink! Now I know I can streach them back out! Thank you so much!

17. KimH says

I have several blouses that were made in India that I love that shrink every time I wash them. What I do is use a warm iron with steam and iron with steam with a little bit of pull/pressure to elongate the garment, making sure Im pressing in the correct direction to lengthen it.
    Im pretty sure that’d work just as well for your pants as well.

• Gina says

Kim, I do the very same thing – it (plus the blocking method using the rolled-up towel) has even worked on one of my favorite silk shirts. My dear BF is always putting “hang-up clothes” in the dryer “just long enough to get the wrinkles out” and forgetting about them until practically all my t-shirts had become ‘belly-shirts” – not a good look at my age! I also have put on my shrunken jeans when they are still a little damp and done the deep knee bends and stepped on the legs to stretch them. Rayon that has been dried in the dryer is just a little harder to stretch, but I’m going to try the baby shampoo trick and see if that works on rayon (and viscoise) clothing.

Thanks Jillee for yet another wonderful tip! :0)

18. Brandy says

Let me just start out by saying my husband bought some really nice wool sweaters last year and then…….yep…threw them in the dryer. They came out more fitting for a 1-year-old than a grown man. Needless to say I had found this trick online somewhere and tried everything I could to stretch them back out. The end result was something that would’ve fit an 8-year-old, but nothing close to fitting him. So I would have to say this won’t work with wool in case anyone is wondering.

• Katy says

Nope, it won’t work with wool sweaters… if you wash and dry those, they end up felted (great for crafts, not so great for wearing as sweaters) and the yarn will never be the same. In fact, I don’t even wash our sweaters but once or twice a winter – they simply don’t get dirty (we always wear a shirt underneath, which does get washed.)

• Marci says

FINALLY!

I had to wade through all the freaking debate about dryer vs. line drying to get to: Will this work on wool sweaters?

I did not want to pose the question if it had already been asked. Thank you Brandy and Katy for finally mentioning this!

19. Ginn says

If you like to line dry but don’t like that items are not soft just throw them in the dryer for a few minutes and then take them out and hang them outside. You will be pleasantly surprised.

• Penny Hannah says

OR line dry until the clothes are just damp and finish them off in the dryer – dryers are SO energy greedy and we’re always being told to Reduce, Re-use and Recycle. Our electricity bill has reduced considerably by being ‘mindful’ when using appliances and hot water.

20. Liz says

To the knitting community, this is known as wet-blocking (or just blocking)! I do this with all my nursing tanks every time they come out of the wash because, despite the fact that I wash them on cold, they always wind up shrinking in the wash. Some fibers react differently to water though so you *have* to be careful (alpaca wool is a good example.) You could wind up ruining something you intended on saving…

• Deidri Heniff says

For t-shirts and sweaters that have shrunk in length and width I simply get them very wet and let them drip dry either above the tub or somewhere where dripping on the floor is okay. The weight of the water in the clothes causes the tee shirts and sweaters to increase in length also for width simply use a strong waterproof hanger and stretch the areas that are too tight. For some things stretching damp clothes and laying them on a water proof area works well. but the dripping water does the job for you.

It’s illegal not to allow people to hang clothes out to dry — even in restricted neighborhoods. What they can do is forbid you to have any type of permanent clothes line up which means if it doesn’t contain clothes drying, it must be gone. It’s HOA’s way of getting around the legality. You’d have to have a line you take down and completely remove it from the yard after the clothes are dry. I really miss having a clothes line — especially for sheets. Nothing smells better. I also enjoyed hanging diapers out to dry. They were so white and smelled so good too.

I am so gad I found this! I bought the most amazing pair of yoga pants when I was pregnant to wear home from the hospital. Wouldn’t you know it though, the first day I wore them I went into labor and my water broke all over them! My sweet mother in law took them home and washed them so I could still wear them home but unfortunately they were now shants. Finally I will be able to wear them again!

23. Mindy says

I found an easy way to prevent items from going in the dryer that shouldn’t, which SHOULD lead to fewer things being shrunk in the dryer. Take a dry erase marker and write on the top of your washing machine which items are not to go into the dryer. Then whoever changes the laundry around can look for those items and hang them instead. The dry erase marker wipes away easily with a rag or paper towel and you’re free to start over with the next list! BTW, this tip was on Pinterest. Good luck!

24. Diane says

I had to sign up just so I could put this comment. I too cannot stand the smell of line dryed clothes, but thank you to KayDee and Ashley, I am not alone. :) It is such a relief to know there are others out there just like me!

25. Kelli says

I have something way easier. After the wash, rinse and spin cycle, items that typically shrink, I shake them, until they are of the desired length, I do this in the width too. I do let them line dry, and have also dried them in the dryer, because I use fabric softner, methods I describe below, my clothes stay soft. You have a few options here, shake to stretch bigger then necessary, then let dry, when item is dry, shake it length and/or width wise again. Next method, do the shake stretch method, let air dry most of the way, then toss in the drier til dry, lastly, you can shake/stretch toss in the dryer till half dry, then do another bit of shake stretch, and let air dry the rest of the way. The little bit of dry time will help the allergins, and since you use fabric softner, this works in conjunction with even the shortest of dry times, giving it the fluffiness you all like.

I also have the iron and stretch method, this works well for 100% cotton tee fabric and sweaters. Use the heat appropriate for the garment, I usually use the cotton setting, make sure you have it set to steam and grab a water bottle. Spritz a section, iron hard and outward, repeat this method throughout the whole garment, again this can be done width wise and lenthwise.

If Jeans have no lycra, it is possible to use these methods to get a little bit of length, for the width, wear them a bit while the waist band is wet, do leg stretches and squats.

Anything that has lycra or fabric that springs back when you tug, will not stretch. Fabric such as satin, and like satin, will not stretch. I give everything the stretch test when I shop. I grab ahold, stretch and tug maybe at the bottom of the garment, if it springs back like a rubberband, then I won’t buy it, I don’t need clingy showing the jello in my belly ;) If when I tug, it stretches out, that baby is mine!

I hope this helps.

26. Comet says

To block wool or other fabrics likely to shrink–take some brown butcher paper (or whatever you can find that is long/wide enough) and lay the clothes on it completely flat. Take a pencil and trace around the garment. LABEL the paper as to WHAT the item is! This is done BEFORE washing for the first time.

When you get the item washed you get as much water out by using the towel method and then lay the item down on the paper and gently stretch back to the original dimensions. Works for sweaters too. You could seal the paper with hair spray or clear spray paint or even cover with plastic wrap if this was something you really wanted to get perfect every time. Vermont Country Store sells PANTS STRETCHERS that work by inserting the wire frames into pants that you have “pre-set” to the original size and then they hang up from a built in hanger end to dry. they also sell over the tub mesh drying racks that you can block fabric items on.

For those of you who live in a regulated community—Vermont Country Store (no I don’t work there just live nearby and love their stuff!) sells retractable laundry lines that can be hung up and the line gets pulled out to use and then retracts into the cannister. Would not be seen sitting around shouting out to laundry inspectors! You would need to find some place to hold the free end of the line. And I could never live in a place that would try and tell me how to dry my clothes! Surely a few residents gathered together could make a big point of showing up at meetings and raising the point of energy savings and other concerns–for me one of the eeewiest things about hot dryers is the SMELL when ever you pass by someones house using one of them! Now that said we do use one when we can’t use the outdoor line or when we had the wood stove going it sometimes looked like I was taking in laundry I had so many racks and lines in the basement! And I dry towels and sheets in there and then toss in whatever got too stiff on the line with either the last of the towels or before the dryer cooled I toss in the dry stuff with a washcloth that has been wet down. This generates enough steam to get things soft without fabric softeners or those awful dryer sheets.

I have read that using the hair conditioner method (not shampoo) can help get washed wool blocked back to the original size. Don’t know if this would work on felted wool after the dryer tho—that then becomes a craft project and can be used for hand bags, totes, rugs, wall hangings, felted flowers, toys, etc.

27. nataloonie says

For pants you can wash them in the washer and hang them on a pants hanger, the kind with the little clips on either side by the bottom of the legs. The weight of the waist will pull them down making them stretch back to the proper length. I do this with a pair of jeans when I forget and put them in the dryer.

28. teresa g says

Hey my only question is the waist and butt size! I am tall so I have to pay a lot for extra long jeans and pants. They always shrink up on me where I can’t wear them in the dryer. When I wear them throughout the day though the butt and waist streatch out and don’t fit good anymore (they sag major!). What do I do to get the butt and waist to shrienk back to regular fit but keep the length?

29. Hilary says

I like my clothes dried in a dryer. They’re softer. I do hang dry the clothes that need to be hung. But the majority of our clothes are put in the dryer. Faster and cleaner. I would never hang any of our clothes outside. Too dirty in AZ, Especially when it’s windy. Also, I don’t like the thought that my clothes would be out back where the dogs do their business in the heat that we’ve got here. Maybe if I lived somewhere greener and cooler.

30. homelove says

I very much enjoyed this post! thanks for doing the research for me!! I would like to mention that whether line dried or out of the dryer, clothes should really be washed before wearing. especially when they come from other countries, they are sprayed with pesticides and sizing that can make all the allergies ya’ll deal with even worse :)

1. [...] While I recognize this is probably foolish, I didn’t really care until I shrunk my Juicy Couture velour pants.  The most comfortable item I own!  I wept until I found this brilliant solution. It does work, as evidenced by by Juicy sweatpants.  Bookmark.  You’ll need it eventually.  Many thanks to OneGoodThingByJillee [...]

2. […] YES! I am one happy girl right now! I had NO IDEA this could be done! There has been so many times that I put my favorite sweats, that I had only gotten the chance to wear once, in the washer planning on hanging them to dry, only to find out that my husband or son threw them in the dryer before I got the chance to take them out! Finding this has made my day! You can find all the details here: http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/10/how-to-resize-shrunken-clothes.html […]

3. […] NÄR DU KRYMPT ETT FAVORITPLAGG 1. Fyll en ho med ljummet vatten och addera lite babyschampo. Lägg i ditt plagg och låt schampot verka. Ta upp lagget och tryck ut vattnet, skölj inte ur det. Ta fram en stor handduk och lägg plagget platt på det. Rulla ihop handduken med plagget inuti, målet är att absorbera vattnet så att plagget är fuktigt inte blött. Rulla ut handduken och lägg ytterligare en torr handduk på plagget (som en dubbelmacka). Dra försiktigt ut plagget när det ligger för att torka. Fortsätt tills plagget har gått tillbaka till sin vanliga storlek. Låt det sedan lufttorka på handduken. En utförlig guide hittar du här. […]