Coconut Oil & Olive Oil . . . A Beauty “Mash” Made In Heaven!

mash made in heaven moisturizer

Whenever I see a new homemade beauty solution involving COCONUT OIL, I always take notice and almost always have to try it! This one I found at LaurenConrad.com was such a simple idea that it appealed to both my practical side AND my frugal side. :-)

Basically it’s just blending COCONUT OIL and OLIVE OIL to form a wonderful “mash” of sorts that you can use on pretty much anywhere on your body in need of a little tender, loving moisture! I especially liked it on my lips and my face.

Some might be hesitant using something so “oily” on their face…but trust me on this…coconut oil and olive oil are BOTH great for skin!

The fatty acids in COCONUT OIL have been shown to possess antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties, and in many cases actually improve many skin conditions such as acne and rosacea. Coconut oil also contains free-radical-fighting antioxidants which help prevent premature aging and degenerative diseases.

OLIVE OIL is a natural, hypoallergenic way to moisturize skin, and also has contains strong antioxidants, like Vitamins A and E. These help repair and renew skin that has been damaged from overexposure to sun, air pollution, and other modern-day environmental hazards – like cigarette smoke and fast food. These antioxidants also stimulate cells and return skin to a firmer, smoother, and healthier state.

So as you can see, these two ingredients TOGETHER form a formidable team!

How to make your own “Mash Made In Heaven” Moisturizer:

What you need:

3 parts extra virgin coconut oil
1 part extra virgin olive oil
Lavender essential oil (optional)

• Add coconut oil and olive oil to a small bowl…and “mash” together with the back of a spoon.
  • Mix together until it’s a nice, smooth consistency.
  • Store in the refrigerator for a “hard” lotion or at room temperature for a soft lotion. Either way, once the mixture hits your skin it will liquify and absorb. (Coconut oil will liquify at 76 degrees Fahrenheit).
  • I used approximately 3 Tablespoons of coconut oil, combined it with approximately 1 Tablespoon of olive oil, and added 4 – 5 drops of Lavender essential oil (for its’ skin calming effects.)

mash made in heaven moisturizer

• I then put it in a recycled hard lotion bar container I had saved. At first I put it in the refrigerator, but it was pretty hard when it came out, so now I just store it at room temp.

Print Friendly
Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter27Pin on Pinterest8,575Google+5

Comments

1. Caramel says

It is also a fantastic combination for the hair. You wouldn’t make the mash, you would do it in liquid form. I would also add a couple of drops of rosemary which is a good conditioner and good for growth. So for European hair, you would just need a couple of drops.

• Stephanie A. says

Carmen, how exactly do you do this? Are you saying you just use a couple of drops of the mixture and run it through dry hair? Thanks.

Stephanie

• Aparna says

Yes, just use liquid coconut oil. Its a very well known Indian (south-asian) house-hold formula. I add few drops of olive oil to it sometimes but it makes it super sticky to wash off. It conditions your hair. But you have to be consistent like every trick to let it work its magic. I put it on my scalp for 30 mins before I wash my hair every alternate day. I like it luke-warm on my scalp so I put it in the microwave for a couple seconds. On the weekends, I add olive oil and leave it on hour a few hours.
        beware: it does smell funky if the oils are not washed off well. :)
        hope this helps.

• alice says

I also would like to know how you use this. Is this a pre-wash treatment or something in between washings? Going through menopause has caused my scalp to itch in some sort of crazy way!! I’ve been using rosemary oil as a pre-wash treatment.

• Susan says

Alice, this might sound VERY crazy, but I’ve had some itchy scalp also…Listerine. Depending on the length of your hair, a couple of tablespoons of Listerine (I had mint so that is what I used) in warm water and use to rinse your hair after the conditioner. The mint smell fades like vinegar does as it dries (might leave a hint of it which is nice) and it stops. Do this a couple of times a week….weird, but it works.

This ‘beauty concoction’ works great on the hair itself, but sometimes it is hard to get to the scalp with it and then get it out again :D

• Lady P says

You can also put some Tea Tree Oil on your fingertips and run them through your hair right onto your scalp. Gets rid of itchy scalp tout suite (very fast)!

Alice, bay leaf essential oil in combination with rosemary is a GREAT combo for dandruff. You can even part your hair with a comb, and actually oil your scalp, leave it on for 30 minutes or so, then wash it off. Like Aparna said, you have to be diligent about it. Good luck!

New to Jilleen’s site and saw your reply on coconut oil as a hair conditioner. How about a natural shampoo for oily hair types?

• Raelene says

What do you mean, you wouldn’t make the mash, you’d do it in liquid form?
      And is this a hair conditioner? How is it used?

I have had trouable finding fractinated coconut oil. Where is a good place to buy it. I also would like to buy baking soda in bulk. Where can that be purchased or ordered?

Why buy fractionated coconut oil?Probably cost a much greater amount and they would have to either add something to keep it liquid or alter its wholesomeness,in some way.Therefore this fantastic oil which helps our bodies,in so many ways,would be damaged & most benefits lost! I buy my organic virgin coconut oil by NOW,at a Health Food store it costs me $14.99 for12oz-cold pressed- which is what you want if you plan on ingesting it!I take 1-2 Tbsps/day,it,also helps with weight loss.Can use to fry up chicken pcs,put in pancakes,etc….My friend made a cheese sauce,using it in it,for broccoli and her 9yr old son gobbled it all up!Delicious!!I live in Northern Ontario,Canada and think that in the U.S. this coconut oil would be much cheaper.Am curious at the cost there-if someone would kindly share.Almost forgot-do not worry about it being solid,at most room temperatures,you can take some out with a teaspoon and as soon as you touch it to your skin it melts-glides right on! Hope that I was not too Lenghthy!

• Patty Jones says

We get 30 oz. of cold pressed, organic, Coconut Oil at Walmart (here in Illinois, USA) for $ 5.99. I cook with it, use it for ‘oil pulling”, moisturizing my feet, legs, hands, arms, etc…..I also use it to clean my face with. Olive oil weighs too heavy on it.

• Casey Hall says

I wouldn’t trust anything that WalMart sells. “Organic” doesn’t really mean organic especially if it comes from WalMart. Always buy ingredients locally. They cost a bit more but you’re supporting local farmers and businesses and can rest easy knowing that it hasn’t been loaded with chemicals for a longer shelf life.

For example in Eugene, Oregon, I buy from this company (they sell at local stores-I don’t buy in mass bulk.) http://www.hummingbirdwholesale.com/

• Dani K says

I found the Wal-Mart product to be comparable to all the other places I’ve purchased from – including locally and online – within a reasonable price range. The cost at Wal-Mart is significantly lower without compromised taste, texture, or processing methods that I could find so I recommend it highly.

My second choice is through Amazon.com: Nutiva 30 oz $15 (free Prime shipping)

For best quality regardless of price: Tropicaltraditions.com, handpressed, very organic and high quality, $40 plus shipping per 32 oz.

“Always local” isn’t the best option here in the midwest for tropical oils, but I envy those on the west coast with those options =)

• Thao L says

I bought Nutiva organic virgin coconut oil at Bulk Barn for about $16.i use it al over my body from head to toes. Love it! Also good. In food.

I’m excited to try this! My skin has been so dry since moving to Utah. Mostly I’ve been okay as long as I remember to slather myself with lotion, but I still struggle with itchy patches of dry skin in places.

I live in WNY, and the air gets pretty dry here! I fill a spray bottle with Baby Oil and leave it in the shower. I give my body (and Back!) a quick spray before drying off with a towel and my dry skin is soft & silky for the day! Love it! Easy and Cheap! I also spray a little on my hair, it help tame the frizzies!

• Krystal says

Instead of baby oil (which is a petroleum product)use olive oil and/or grapeseed oil – which can be found at your local grocery store. Just mix in your sprayer or pour bottle. Add 10-20 drops of essential oil or oils for scent (don’t use fragrence oils!).

3. Teresa Van Earden says

Agreed! I use coconut oil and olive oil for everything! When you put the two together its magic!

4. laurel says

Have been using the coconut oil/sugar scrub on my face for about a month. I was hesitant at first, having always had oily skin, but my 24 year old daughter convinced me to try it. It is WONDERFUL! My skin is nice and soft. Use the scrub on my hands as well and follow that up with your wonderful coconut oil,/vitamin e/baby lotion cream which I love and have orders for at work. LOVE YOUR SITE!

5. Pam says

I’ve been using coconut oil to take my eye makeup off for a few months now. It works better than any commercial remover I’ve ever used! Going to have to try the mash now too!

• Kerry says

Why?!? Who would want to trade pure coconut oil, natural and healthy, for chemical-laden soap? That makes no sense.

• Julie says

I agree, why not just buy the makeup remover with crud in it …..if you are going to use the baby shampoo with crud in it….. Pure coconut is …….well. PURE COCONUT OIL : )

• Nicole says

You must’ve missed the word cheaper in her suggestion. I understand that you’re a do-it-yourselfer to avoid chemicals, etc., in store-bought products. Not everyone is though. Some just want to get the job done for less money, as is this person. I think she was trying to be helpful.

• Cathy Fischer says

I have been using baby oil as an eye makeup remover for many years…the store brands are less expensive, and it moisturizes the eye area at the same time.

• Stacy says

Why would I choose that over the one-ingredient, natural coconut oil?
        I’ve been using coconut oil for make-up removal for a long time.

• Trish says

I can see the benefits (no tears, cleaning ability, mildness) of baby shampoo…especially if you have it around for your children. the upside to CO is that oil cuts oil…AND CO has great moisturizing properties (that you have read above) but what Jillee taugh us before is that that moisture will encourage lash growth and make you MORE HAPPY!

• Patty Jones says

Baby shampoo would get into my eyes and burn, ah, the joys of sensitivities…..but the coconut oil is cheap, effective and I LOVE IT for more than just one or two uses. We use tons of it.

6. Karen423 says

I wash my face with coconut oil only, and the only time I ever break out now is that rare occasion I am so tired I go to bed without washing my very well.

I use and LOVE your lotion, and have friends order it from me all the time. But can’t get my back, going to mix up some of this and apply to a back scrubber in the shower.

7. Stephanie A. says

I’ve been using olive oil to cleanse my face, and to moisturize it. I use it for just about everything body wise. I’m definitely going to add coconut oil to my routine now. :) Love this idea!

8. Donna says

You would never think that oil like that on the face is a good thing, but IT IS!! I take my make up off with Jojoba oil, get in the shower, don’t wash my face with soap at all, get out and then mix a few drops of Jojoba oil, (or coconut oil and olive oil) with doterra frankincense, and lavender and massage into my face, neck, and chest. I absolutely love it and in fact, I’m hooked. I look so forward to massaging my face with these oils. It may feel a little oily at first, but it just melts right into your skin in 20 or 30 minutes. And, these smells get on your pillow and really helps me relax. The lavender relaxes, and helps to sleep. Of course, frankincense is just a “miracle oil”, helps with cell growth, immune function, awareness, LOVE IT!!

9. Rosewood says

I have been thinking of doing half and half for cooking so it spreads or scoops out more easily.

But why do you mash it why not heat it a bit and mix while softer and not so hard, so nuke it low for a few seconds and it will be spreadable, coconut is also good for your dog but start small at first..

• Dolly says

Hi Rosewood. I have a rescue dog with ABSOLUTELY THE WORST SKIN IN THE WORLD. He sheds his skin and it looks like it snowed. The vet tried everything and I’d like to know how you would use it with your dog. Can you please reply? Thank you and stay well. Dolly

• Rita says

HI: I’m not Rosewood but I do know that dogs can eat coconut oil. It’s good for their joints. I would just melt it or soften it with my hands and rub it on the hot spots. It may not be necessary, though, as taking it internally helps the skin, too.

• Catheine Heather Graham says

I have helped others with this problem..those who didnt have the money to keep on going to the vet. I use peanut oil on the dog food every day.About 1 tbsp. over the dry food and brush dog with a soft bristle so as not to agitate skin .Dont bath th dog often and if you do make sure he’s rinsed wellas soap can cause problems to the skin .on bad cases I rub coconut oil on the skin. Sometimes the food itself can cause this problem. Dont feed our food to the dog and try a different brand.It may be he’s allergic to what he is eating.Watch out for brands that are on the recall list. Don’tfeed brand that have corn gluten in them.. I hope this helps

10. Melanie says

Excellent idea. This is what I used as a “spread” for toast instead of buying Earth Balance or other products. Add herbs and garlic, maybe a little sea salt, and flavor the spread and its simply delish!

I’ll have to try it your way now. Thanks!