Whenever I see a new homemade beauty solution involving COCONUT OIL, I always take notice and almost always have to try it! This one I found at LaurenConrad.com was such a simple idea that it appealed to both my practical side AND my frugal side. :-)
Basically it’s just blending COCONUT OIL and OLIVE OIL to form a wonderful “mash” of sorts that you can use on pretty much anywhere on your body in need of a little tender, loving moisture! I especially liked it on my lips and my face.
Some might be hesitant using something so “oily” on their face…but trust me on this…coconut oil and olive oil are BOTH great for skin!
The fatty acids in COCONUT OIL have been shown to possess antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties, and in many cases actually improve many skin conditions such as acne and rosacea. Coconut oil also contains free-radical-fighting antioxidants which help prevent premature aging and degenerative diseases.
OLIVE OIL is a natural, hypoallergenic way to moisturize skin, and also has contains strong antioxidants, like Vitamins A and E. These help repair and renew skin that has been damaged from overexposure to sun, air pollution, and other modern-day environmental hazards – like cigarette smoke and fast food. These antioxidants also stimulate cells and return skin to a firmer, smoother, and healthier state.
So as you can see, these two ingredients TOGETHER form a formidable team!
How to make your own “Mash Made In Heaven” Moisturizer:
What you need:
- 3 parts extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 part extra virgin olive oil
- Lavender essential oil (optional)
- Add coconut oil and olive oil to a small bowl…and “mash” together with the back of a spoon.
- Mix together until it’s a nice, smooth consistency.
- Store in the refrigerator for a “hard” lotion or at room temperature for a soft lotion. Either way, once the mixture hits your skin it will liquify and absorb. (Coconut oil will liquify at 76 degrees Fahrenheit).
- I used approximately 3 Tablespoons of coconut oil, combined it with approximately 1 Tablespoon of olive oil, and added 4 – 5 drops of Lavender essential oil (for its’ skin calming effects.)
- I then put it in a recycled hard lotion bar container I had saved. At first I put it in the refrigerator, but it was pretty hard when it came out, so now I just store it at room temp.