Make Your Own Washing Soda (For Homemade Laundry Detergent)

washing soda 4 copy

Washing Soda is an essential ingredient in making your own laundry detergent, and I have had many people from countries all over the world asking me about an alternative because they can’t buy it where they are.

Who knew it was so easy to make at home???

If you can get your hands on baking soda…you have the ingredients to make your own WASHING SODA.  All you need is an OVEN.

washing soda

Grab a cookie sheet, spread a box (or a thick layer) of baking soda on it and stick it in the oven at 400 degrees for 1 hour.

washing soda

When you are done you will have Washing Soda and will be ready to make your own Laundry Detergent!  Here are my favorite recipes:

Liquid Laundry Detergent

Powdered Laundry Detergent

Even though most of us can easily find washing soda on the shelves of our local grocery store…it occurred to me after making my own that as long as I have this great big bag of baking soda on hand why wouldn’t I just make my own washing soda as well?  I couldn’t come up with a reason. :-)

So hopefully this post will be helpful to those of you who can’t find washing soda where you live…AND to those who are looking to save $$!  (Which pretty much includes ALL of us! Right??)  :-)

Share on Facebook1,041Tweet about this on Twitter13Pin on Pinterest4,447Google+8

Comments

1. Zoquara says

So glad you shared this! I’ve seen it in the comments on a few blogs, but never as the focus. In my area, it’s not really any cheaper to make it, so we just buy it, but that may not be true everywhere, and like you said, not everyone can find it!

2. Brenda says

Actually, if you compare price, by weight, the cost of the baking soda, at or local Sam’s Club is extremely cheaper…Just pop the tray of soda in the oven with anything else you are baking, and it doesn’t even cost for the energy to bake it….Just my thoughts, and as usual, I LOVE YOUR IDEAS, JILL! Thank you.

3. Kristen says

I actually just did this about a week ago. So easy to do nd a goid way to
    Utilize that huge bag of baking soda too.

4. Julie Breecham says

I was wondering the same thing. What does baking it do? Not questioning just curious.

5. Cristi says

The difference between baking soda and washing soda is water and carbon dioxide. Seriously. Baking soda’s chemical makeup is NaHCO3 (1 sodium, 1 hydrogen, one carbon, and 3 oxygen molecules). Washing soda’s chemical makeup is Na2CO3 (2 sodium, 1 carbon, and 3 oxygen molecules). When baking soda is heated up to high temperatures, it breaks down to become washing soda, water steam, and carbon dioxide.

6. Tamara says

I thought about doing this myself, but then wondered about the cost of electricity to bake something at 400 degrees for an hour. So it may be cheaper (and greener) just to purchase the washing soda. :\

7. Marcia K says

It seems kind of funny that we are adding baking soda, and then..more baking soda, just in a different form. Is it really all necessary?