How To Make Your Own Bleach Gel Pen

bleach pen 7

I have been trying to figure out a way to make my own DIY bleach pen for MONTHS, but to no avail.  So when I saw this idea from Debbie at Me And My DIY I couldn’t wait to give it a try!

I don’t regularly purchase bleach pens because, quite frankly, I don’t think they are worth the price. But there are occasions when would one would come in handy. For stains on clothing, for ring around the collar, for cleaning grout, even for CRAFTING! So being able to make a do-it-yourself version that costs literally PENNIES is pretty exciting. :-)

Here is how it’s done:

In a saucepan, add 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch to a cup of water. Stir until completely dissolved. Place mixture on stove and continue stirring until it comes to a boil and then turn the stove off. The mixture will become quite thick.

bleach pen 4

Allow mixture to COOL COMPLETELY…then add 5 to 6 Tablespoons of bleach. It should result in a nice gel, like the one you can see in this picture below.

bleach pen 5

If yours is thicker or thinner…just adjust water and/or cornstarch until you achieve the result you are looking for.

Pour mixture into an empty squeeze bottle for dispensing.

bleach pen

I haven’t actually added up the savings from this….but I’m betting someone far better at math than I will clue us in. :-)

Share on Facebook625Tweet about this on Twitter33Pin on Pinterest41,208Google+33

Comments

1. Jane says

Thanks Jill! I just bought a bleach pen for the first time and used almost the entire thing cleaning the grout around a bathtub. This will be a real money saver. By the way, I love your blog and have used many of your ideas. I have been using your “no grate laundry detergent” for quite some time. I am so happy not to have to lug those big bottles of liquid detergent home. I just mix it up as I need it.

2. Kati says

Oh what a wonderful idea! I have been meaning to buy a bleach pen to use on my bathroom tiled floor for a while now, but just have never gotten around to it. Now I don’t have to worry about it! I can just make this right up and use it! Thank you so much for sharing. I will try to write another comment sharing my experience with this. Again, thanks for sharing! You are awesome!!

3. Laurat99 says

I use that same style bottle for your “shout” recipe because I couldn’t get the mixture to not clog my spray bottles. Thanks for the bleach solution recipe!! note: I found my bottles in the cake decorating section of my Wal-Mart.

• Nicole says

Good idea. I was having the same problem. I starting pouring some into a smaller clear bottle, which reminds me to shake since the liquid separates. A squeeze bottle would be much easier.

4. Georgann G says

Because the bleach is not in an opaque bottle, does it lose it’s bleaching power quickly?

I don’t use bleach pens that much, and I don’t want to keep mixing it up and dumping it out if it doesn’t hold up in that type of container.

• Trixie F says

Just thought I’d pop in an mention that you can get colored squeeze bottles (usually in red or yellow – think ketchup and mustard) seasonally in the grocery stores and wal-mart. It probably won’t be long before they start popping up. Just be sure to label them clearly so the kids don’t think you put the ketchup in the laundry closet. LOL. Or, you could decoupage (sp?) some pretty paper to a clear bottle if you like to do crafty stuff. Just a thought. :)

• Katy says

We use bleach solution at work (I work in a laboratory) and we keep it in a tube wrapped in aluminum foil to protect from light – it will degrade over time when exposed to light. Seems to work great! You could also just wrap duct tape (any color) around the bottle to block the light. Storing it in the dark will help too.

5. Denise says

Thank you.
    You ALWAYS give us such great and useful information.
    I know your spend so much time on testing these and I really appreciate all you do!!!!!

1. [...] Bleach Pen!  Gel bleach pens can be expensive, but they sure come in handy in a pinch.  One Good Thing By Jillee shares a super easy bleach pen recipe that is well worth trying, and you probably have most of the items on hand in the home.  You will use a squeeze bottle for this, and you will definitely want to label it and keep it out of reach of children, but follow this link to check it out. [...]